Thread: Sarunas Jasikevicus

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Sarunas Jasikevicus

After watching the Euro finals on NBATV Saturday , I came away very impressed by Jasikevicus.

I know its European and not NBA but again he showed a very high basketball iq. He can run a team at the pg , excellant passer , very good range on his jumper and actually can go to the hole. He was the Euro league finals MVP as his Maccabi Tel Aviv team won a 2nd straight championship.

I can see why Larry Bird has talked to his agent on several occassions this year. Jasikevicus has a winners mentality and understands the game. Yes , he may be a step slow to be an nba star , but he can be a very good back up.

At 29 (recently had a birthday) he wants to come to nba to a contender . I'd think a 3 year deal at around 2.5-3 mil per would satisfy him.

Default Re: Sarunas Jasikevicus

We can't sign him for that, though. We'll be using the exception on JJ and Dale.

If we hypothetically were to sign him, would we be moving AJ?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd love it if we'd sign him. It would be really interesting to see him play here.

I've been ranting at every given opportunity how badly I personally want this guy. He's not a savior, I don't think there is such a thing these days, but his personality, grit and game soOOo fit into the Pacer's scheme. JUst as an FYI, I have a site about him bookmarked so I can keep up with him.

BTW, Jose, I was reading on his forum how he and Maceo Baston were signing autographs together. Obviously practicing up for when they're Pacers together, huh?

http://www.jasikevicius.com/
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Mood

We have both exemption we can use . Split the nearly 5 mil one between Dale and Sar. Jasikevicus .

Then sign James Jones to vet league minimum of 1.2 mil thats double his current pay. Plus by signing only a 1 year James can prove himself further upping his value to himself and the Pacers . If James finds himself not getting time he can be free to sign elsewhere ,if he breaks out Pacers can sign him to a bigger long term deal.

As for the Maceo Baston comment I'd not be suprised to see a 2nd Maccabi player signed but I think it could be Nikola Vujcic. He is 6'11 pf/c with very good passing skills had 7 assists in the Euro Championship game , he also has very good hands and excellant shoting range ( kinda sounds like Brad Miller).

Ok one more time:

We have the mid level (5.5. mio) for DD and whoever else we want to sign IF we want to and we have the "early Bird" on Jimmy so we can offer him maximum 5.5 mio (avg nba salary) for 6 years (min 2 years).
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Mood

I don't give James Jones more than 1.5 -2.5 mil to come off the bench. Fred Jones made 1.5 this season and 2.3 next. To me James has shown flashes but I don't make the Croshere and Bender mistake again.

If you look at Pacer salaries this season

SJax at 4.9 Foster at 4.25 , AJ 2.4, Fred 1.6 , Tinsley 1.6 .

James can wait on the big money and prove himself further.

Pollard 5.8 mil Bender 6.4 and Croshere 8.3 is just proof you wait. If we lose James and his 5ppg off the bench because someone goes nuts with an offer so be it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think able, or anyone else for that matter, is proposing that we offer JJ $5.5. I think able is just pointing out that, if we desired to do so, we have more options than just the MLE ($4.9M) and the LLE ($1.5M) with which to re-sign JJ.

In fact, we can pay him anything from the league minimum (which JJ wouldn't take) to the average NBA salary, approximately $5.5M.

So, even after using the MLE on DD and maybe another player, we have quite a bit of flexibility to re-sign JJ. It's just a question of whether a fair and reasonable deal can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have both exemption we can use . Split the nearly 5 mil one between Dale and Sar. Jasikevicus .

Then sign James Jones to vet league minimum of 1.2 mil thats double his current pay.
    I'd go the other way with Dale/JJ. Given his performance in the playoffs, I don't think Dale will command more than the vet's minimum. JJ, though, will get offers of more than 1.2 mil.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I'd go the other way with Dale/JJ. Given his performance in the playoffs, I don't think Dale will command more than the vet's minimum. JJ, though, will get offers of more than 1.2 mil.
    Interesting point. After 730 regular season minutes for the blue-and-gold, I don't think anybody but Peck thinks Dale should be getting more than the 20-or-so mpg he's getting now.

I can't see him being good for more than 10-14 mpg over an 82-game season. I don't think anybody offers him more than the vet's minimum for his experience, and if he gets it that's a tough choice. I'd love for Dale and Harrison to spend one season together, but not for the MLE.

He gave us a much-needed boost when we needed one. But he's been 'on fumes' for quite a while now with no signs of a revitalization.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Interesting point. After 730 regular season minutes for the blue-and-gold, I don't think anybody but Peck thinks Dale should be getting more than the 20-or-so mpg he's getting now.

I can't see him being good for more than 10-14 mpg over an 82-game season. I don't think anybody offers him more than the vet's minimum for his experience, and if he gets it that's a tough choice. I'd love for Dale and Harrison to spend one season together, but not for the MLE.

He gave us a much-needed boost when we needed one. But he's been 'on fumes' for quite a while now with no signs of a revitalization.
    In 2003, Elden Campbell averaged 6.1 ppg & 3.2 rpg in a contract year. Detroit rewarded him with a 2 year, $8.4 million deal. I don't see any reason why Davis wouldn't get a similar deal to that. He's certainly proven in the short time he's been with the Pacers that he can still play.

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    In 2003, Elden Campbell averaged 6.1 ppg & 3.2 rpg in a contract year. Detroit rewarded him with a 2 year, $8.4 million deal. I don't see any reason why Davis wouldn't get a similar deal to that. He's certainly proven in the short time he's been with the Pacers that he can still play.
    You're just trying to talk the Pacers into spending all their money.

Cite me a better example than Elden older-than-Moses Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

If we hypothetically were to sign him, would we be moving AJ?
    I'd been thinking about this as well.

Gill will be gone but if we bring in Jasikevicus it will not be as a 3rd stringer, not at the money it will take to get him here.

That leaves AJ as the odd man out. After the season he's had moving him should not be too difficult.

Skaut: I think Baston would fit in real well with the Suns or Super Sonics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    You're just trying to talk the Pacers into spending all their money.

Cite me a better example than Elden older-than-Moses Campbell.
    Elden's not even a full year older than Davis. They were college teammates at Clemson. They could sign Davis to that and still sign James Jones.

Back on topic, I don't think there's any chance Jasikevicius signs with the Pacers to be the 3rd PG, or even a 15 minute a game backup. He's gonna stay in Europe or sign with a team he has a chance to start for. Utah might be a good fit if they don't draft a PG.

Who is someone currently in the NBA you would compare this guy to? Just wondering.

If we sign him, I think we ought to still keep AJ. With Tinsley's occasional health problems, it'd seem like a safe move. AJ could also play a little SG if we needed it.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    Elden's not even a full year older than Davis. They were college teammates at Clemson. They could sign Davis to that and still sign James Jones.
    Alright, I'll move on after one more question, how many minutes did Elden play that season? The fact that Dale looked great over the last 25 games has as much to do with getting the first 55 games of the season off (essentially) as his remaining ability to play the game.

I'd give him the MLE if I believed he could play 25-30 mpg for an 82-game season (plus playoffs). But as I said above, I can't see the Pacers (needing to) paying more than the vet's minimum, at least not for the second/ third/ fourth years of any deal.

link

Euro's king is NBA bound
    Last chance for Jasikevicius in the NBA
    He's a great pick & roll player. He's a great shooter. He's a great passer and a true point guard. Sarunas Jasikevicius should be playing for an NBA team.

Oh, excuse me, I wrote this before, the exact date being August 21, 2004. Are we allowed to duplicate blogs in this section? I'll take that silence as a yes and just do it. Saras deserves the space.

Europe's king of basketball used to be Dejan Bodiroga from Serbia, now he has been replaced. Last week, Sarunas Jasikevicius won his third consecutive Euroleague title, after leading Israel's Maccabi Tel Aviv to wins over Panathinaikos and Tau Vitoria in the final four held in Moscow (aired live on NBA TV).
    Don't underestimate the level of play in the Euroleague. NBA General Managers and Scouts pretty much know that this is the second best league in the world, better than the college game (and of course with much more experience). At least 10 players from the four teams attending have been drafted, have played or will play in the NBA. Jasikevicius won the MVP of the final game after taking over from the start and making the big plays when Maccabi most needed them. It's nothing new for him; he's done it a lot before, including to team USA in the Sydney and Athens Olympic games as Lithuania's point guard.

Cleveland can use him. One of his best friends is Zydrunas Ilgauskas, so if he re-signs, look for the Cavs to make a run at Jasikevicius. He's better than Jeff McInnis in making the others better, and he's a much better scorer than Eric Snow. The new owner, Dan Gilbert, has been asking about him. Believe me, if he was there, LeBron might still be playing. In the second round of the playoffs, that's how good he is. Put him with a good team, and he will make them great. I don't know what he will do with a rebuilding team, but with talent around him, he's excellent, especially in the big moments of the biggest games.
    Indiana has shown interest - Larry Bird even came to Tel Aviv to meet him. The Pacers have two very good point guards in Tinsley and Anthony Johnson, but Tinsley has been hurt often, and with Reggie Miller retiring, they can use some more offense out of the backcourt. He could be great for the Rockets, giving them another option to run the Pick & Roll with Yao besides T-Mac, and you can bet that Dirk Nowitzki's shooting percentages would have been better with a true playmaker running the fastbreaks. Put him in Memphis and they're better, and I could go on and on. To make it simple, those 3 Euroleague titles should be his last. It will be crazy if this guy doesn't get a two-year contract at around half of the midlevel exception per year.

We see him here every week. He is a killer, in a good way. His coach, Pini Gershon, called him an assassin and an assistant-coach on the court. Saras could be a little crazy with the officials during games, but he has calmed down a bit. He takes every call in every game personally, even if his team leads by 20 with a minute left. That's what makes him a winner. Maccabi had an easy Israeli league game this week, after winning the Euroleague, and he went after the other team right from the beginning. He even dunked on a fastbreak and went for a session of hugs & kisses with his high-flying friend, Anthony Parker who couldn't stop laughing on the bench.

Hey, NBA executives, it's about time. Better late than never. He's 29 and if you're still not sure, just pick up the phone to Maccabi's Power forward, Maceo Baston, who once played for the Raptors. He'll tell you who helped him become one of Europe's best big-men.