Thread: Monday articles out of Detroit

Default Monday articles out of Detroit

Interesting comments by Tinsley

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/...e_20050516.htm
    May 16, 2005

BY CHRIS NELSEN
    FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- Carlos Arroyo didn't know if he was ever going to get off the bench again after not playing in the past two games.

But coach Larry Brown called the point guard's number late in the first quarter of the Pistons' 89-76 Game 4 victory over the Pacers on Sunday.

"Obviously, he was ready for it," Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince said.

Arroyo took advantage of the opportunity and gave a lacking Detroit bench some life. He had two points, four assists and one steal in 12 minutes.

"It feels good because the last couple of games I thought I was going to be called, but it didn't happen," Arroyo said.

Said Prince: "He really shared the ball for us when he came in, and we needed that."

Arroyo hadn't played in the series since Game 1, when he played nine minutes, though almost four came late in the fourth quarter when the Pistons had a big lead.

Brown has been reluctant to play Arroyo partly because of his defense.

But Arroyo held his own against the Pacers and guard Jamaal Tinsley.

"We tried to contain him from going to the basket, but I think today was one of those days that we contained almost everybody," Arroyo said.

Arroyo's contribution was important because it allowed starter Chauncey Billups to stay fresh. Billups, who had his best game of the series with 29 points, was happy to see Arroyo get some minutes.

"I thought Carlos was great. I'm just glad that Coach gave him an opportunity in a series like this," Billups said. "I'm looking forward to him getting another opportunity again in the next game."

If Arroyo can have more success, that would give the Pistons two solid backup options for Billups and Richard Hamilton (Lindsey Hunter already is a solid defensive contributor).

Arroyo hopes he has earned Brown's trust.

"It's up to him if he trusts me or not," Arroyo said. "I trust myself when I'm out there, and hopefully he sees that. I want to play, but my job is to stay ready as a professional and I understand that this is a team of sacrifices."

TINSLEY STRUGGLES: Tinsley's ability to consistently dribble inside on the Pistons helped the Pacers win two straight games. But in Game 4, the Pistons finally solved him, holding him to one assist and forcing him into seven turnovers.

"They were looking for me to pass more," Tinsley said. "They were playing the passing lane and deflecting my balls. They had the wings crowded more so I can't throw the direct pass. I give them credit; they came out with a game plan, and they stuck with it. I'm going to have nights like this, but it isn't going to be too many nights, so I'm not worrying."

FOSTER TONED DOWN: After three games, center Jeff Foster was the Pacers' MVP. But he did not make his presence felt Sunday. Foster had 45 rebounds in the first three games, but just one in Game 4, along with three points in 12 minutes. "When we got behind we went small and he had to come off the floor," coach Rick Carlisle said.

ALL MENTAL: When asked about his sore right calf, Hamilton said: "It's 100% mentally. I'm going out there with that mentality."

After a big Game 1, Hamilton has struggled shooting in the past three games. He made six of 16 shots for the second straight game and had 13 points and seven assists.

"It felt better in the second half (of Game 3) when I took the wrap off," Hamilton said before Game 4. "So I'm going out there raw today. I'm not going to wear anything."

TIRED PRINCE: Prince asked for a break once during Game 3. But after that, Brown said Prince told him he was fine.

Prince looked tired down the stretch in Game 3, playing all but two minutes and scoring just nine points. In Game 4, he played all but eight minutes and scored just seven. Brown said he would monitor Prince's situation and might be inclined to give Ronald Dupree or Darvin Ham some minutes.

NOTEBOOK: Prince was pleased with the defense on Jermaine O'Neal.

In his last two games O'Neal, the Pacers' All-Star, is 6-for-26 from the field. Reggie Miller and O'Neal combined for just 17 points in Game 4, while Stephen Jackson had 23.

"Obviously in an ideal world, it would be great if all three of us could score 20 points a game," Miller said. "We're playing a great defensive team in Detroit and they're going to shut down one, maybe two, of us." ...

One series ago, the Pacers stole Game 2 in Boston and had a 2-1 series lead against the Celtics heading into Game 4 at home -- only to get blown out by 31 points. Sunday's loss to the Pistons in Game 4 was eerily similar.

"It was a tough loss for us," Tinsley said. "We could have competed more."

Free Press sports writers Perry A. Farrell and Helene St. James

Default Re: Monday articles out of Detroit

O'Neal off the mark -- again

May 16, 2005

BY HELENE ST. JAMES
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- This is what almost $15 million is buying the Indiana Pacers in the playoffs -- plenty of rebounding but lots of air balls.

About 40 hours after he sat in the interview room at Conseco Fieldhouse and lamented his performance in Game 3, forward Jermaine O'Neal was back to explain his Game 4 failure.

O'Neal, whose $14.8-million annual salary is tied for fifth-highest in the NBA, shot 4-for-15 in Sunday's 89-76 loss to the Pistons.

"I played bad," said O'Neal, who played 38 minutes. "I was terrible tonight. I was out there, I played, couldn't do anything right. I just didn't make them. I had quite a few wide-open shots, but it was just that type of night for me. Sometimes you have those type of games, and for me it was tonight."

Actually, it was Sunday, it was last Friday, and it was Game 1. O'Neal is 6-for-26 the past two games and 24-for-73 (32.9%) in the series. The only game in which he displayed his All-Star skills was Game 2, when he carried his teammates with an outstanding second half.

O'Neal is playing with a sore right shoulder, but he refused to use that as an excuse, saying he was fine. Yet the facts hint otherwise.

O'Neal led the team during the regular season with 24.3 points per game, but he has averaged 15.5 in this series, 9.0 the past two games. His 13 rebounds Sunday -- five offensive -- marked his series high, giving him 36 over four games.

While rebounding helps, it's offense the Pacers need from O'Neal. He started Sunday 0-for-6, and didn't make his second field goal until the third quarter.

"I have to get him better shots," point guard Jamaal Tinsley said.

Coach Rick Carlisle shouldered the blame, too.

"As the coach, I have to do some things to get him some better shots," Carlisle said.

"It's not easy because Detroit is a great defensive team and -- as you get deeper into a series -- it makes it hard on both teams.

"I'm encouraged by the fact he's not played his best and we still had it to six in the third quarter."

The Pacers got that close after O'Neal made two free throws, but then, when they needed him most, this is what O'Neal did:

He didn't stop Antonio McDyess from making a turnaround jump shot, and he missed the basket from four feet away.

O'Neal's primary assignment, Rasheed Wallace, torched him for 17 points, outscoring O'Neal, 10-2, in the first half.

The contrast between those players was all the more poignant for what each said after Game 3. Wallace promised the series would be tied at 2. Besides his 17 points, he had 12 rebounds and five blocked shots.

O'Neal didn't so much promise as protest, saying he was pretty sure he would not come out and go 2-for-11 again. But he nearly did just that, and it's a performance the Pacers can't afford from him.

Contact HELENE ST. JAMES at 313-222-2295 or stjames@freepress.com.

TWO CENTS WORTH

May 16, 2005

•So it's all even coming home. Or you could say -- sorry, Rick Carlisle, we know you said you didn't want to hear it -- it's a push.

DO IT THE YODA WAY

Did you catch the halftime show during the Pistons-Pacers game Sunday? ABC ran an "NBA Minute"/"Revenge of the Sith" promo with actor Samuel L. Jackson comparing "Star Wars" and NBA characters.

Such as: "The Yoda of the NBA is Larry Brown. He's probably going to be on a walking stick, according to him, pretty soon, and he does get all the kudos from everybody around him for being the most knowledgeable guy in the league."

Yeah, but L.B. is a little taller.

Jackson also compared Rip Hamilton's and Darth Vader's masks, but decided Darth's is scarier.

USE THE FORCE, LARRY

Speaking of Yoda, he doesn't work alone, you know.

Maybe the Pistons could use a little help remembering the right way to another Larry O'Brien Trophy. Maybe Larry Brown should tap into the Tao of Larry and ask, like, what would other Larrys do:

•Larry Flynt: Hustle! The Pistons' slogan isn't go to work every other night, is it?

•Larry Bird: What, hire Rick Carlisle?

•Larry King: Throw it out to the callers. Joe from Auburn Hills, what do you think the Pistons should do?

•Larry Holmes: Defend a title? He did it successfully 20 times.

•Larry Fine: You know, the Three Stooges, the one with sort of a 'Fro. Then again, he wasn't very good at getting the Mo' to shift to his side.

•Larry (Bud) Melman: He was the little guy in a suit and glasses -- or are we thinking of Larry (Bud) Brown?

•Larry David: Curb your enthusiasm. Remember, it's still 2-2.

•Larry the Cable Guy: Git-R-Done!

WALTON WIGS OUT

ABC's crew -- including ex-Piston Grant Hill -- had a few pregame moments, too:

•Analyst Bill Walton, on complaints about the refereeing: "Enough of the whining. Enough of the excuse-making. Let's start playing some basketball. And that's what the Pacers are doing and the Pistons are not."

•Walton, after almost any statement by the other panelists: "I disagree with that."

•Host Mike Tirico, as Walton closed the show wearing a huge Afro wig: "I'm sure Coach Wooden's so proud watching you right now."

KNOW YOUR NEXT FOE

And that would be the Miami Heat, if the Pistons do move on.

Shaquille O'Neal's stand-in, Alonzo Mourning -- the only player on the roster who was there -- was recalling the Heat's last trip to the conference finals.

"It was so damn long ago," he told the Miami Herald. "When was it, '97? We had to play against Chicago, but I think it's wide open. We're not facing a Chicago Bulls team. Michael's retired, and he's not coming back, so I think the opportunity is great for us, especially because we have a little bit of time to get the Big Fella rested.

"If we get him back in the swing of things, with everybody playing the way that they're playing off the bench, oh my goodness. It's going to be tough to stop us."

PRESS CLIPPINGS

Bob Kravitz, Indianapolis Star, writing before Sunday's game: Oh, and one more thing: Reggie Miller is now saying that today's game is the "biggest in franchise history." This officially marks the 12th time in Miller's 18 years that he has proclaimed the next game to be the "biggest in franchise history."

BOTTOM LINE

•Seattle guard Ray Allen, on San Antonio guard Bruce Bowen's clutching-and-grabbing style: "Asking him why he plays that way is like asking Shaq why he dunks on people. That's what he does. That's how he plays. That's what he gets away with. ... That's what they put him out on the floor to do, because he doesn't have an effect otherwise."

http://www.freep.com/sports/drewshar...e_20050516.htm

DREW SHARP: Rasheed proves good as his word

But while Pistons toil, Heat, and Shaq, chill
    May 16, 2005

BY DREW SHARP
    FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

INDIANAPOLIS -- They can pat themselves on the back until they break their shoulder blades, but the Pistons should hold the self-applause, cup their ears toward South Beach and listen to the sounds of a sleeping bear slowly stirring.

It's not about Indiana. Never has been. They're playing the Pacers, but they're bracing for the approaching Heat.

It's all about Miami and the Eastern Conference championship confrontation everyone has eagerly anticipated since the Lakers shipped out Shaquille O'Neal. And the longer the Pistons take to dispose of the Pacers, the greater the task becomes when a truly deserving opponent emerges.

It was time for re-establishing the swagger of the predatory champion -- seeking out the weak and quickly destroying them -- an attitude that doesn't exist without Rasheed Wallace.

He backed up another guarantee, replacing words with the actions strangely absent in the Pistons' consecutive losses to Indiana last week.

"I'm the megaphone on the team," the Great Prognosticator said. "I'll say what other people feel, and the other guys responded."

No, it was he who responded, emerging from a passive slumber, demanding the ball on the low block and redirecting shots when the Pacers dared challenge him.

"Rasheed would be the first to say that his team backed him up," Pistons coach Larry Brown said. "He's a great teammate and was taking all the blame for us losing after Games 2 and 3."

He deserved a sizable chunk of the culpability. Watching Wallace in those games evoked grainy playoff memories of Sergei Fedorov. Each is notorious for aimlessly floating, bottling up his immense skills. It's as though he's awaiting a special invitation to become involved.

Wallace had 17 points, 12 rebounds and five blocked shots Sunday. What's more, only three of his 20 shots were beyond the three-point arc -- his safe haven in those times of latent aggressiveness.

He has to be the difference-maker if the Pistons are to retain their crown, but until Sunday Wallace was more "Why?" than X-factor.

"I was worth two cents last game," he said. "I couldn't make a shot to save my life."

This "guaran-Sheed" victory lacked the boldness of last year's declaration before Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals. There were doubts last year whether the Pistons were the better team, but there are no similar concerns this time. Indiana has played only three pretty good quarters of basketball, yet this series is tied at 2-all.

Lose this one, and the Pistons could pretty much kiss good-bye a successful defense of their crown.

A 3-1 series deficit wouldn't have been insurmountable, especially with two of the three final games on the Pistons' floor. But the primary goal has never been about getting past their divisional nemesis, and the physical and emotional expenditure necessary for winning the last three games would sap reserves needed against more challenging competition.

Shaq now gets a minimum of one week to further rest a bruised thigh -- after already missing Games 3 and 4 on the road against Washington, both Miami wins.

And now this series is going longer than necessary.

The Pistons regained their dominance, reeling off runs of 19-1 in the first quarter and 16-2 in the third quarter. Each time the Pacers mounted a marginal comeback, the Pistons flexed their muscle and their will, and the Pacers meekly relented.

"I know the character and heart of the guys in the locker room," Wallace said. "It was answering the bell. ... I wouldn't necessarily say that we were losing focus. They were the better team. They were getting to the loose balls. It's still a series. It's still a series."

No, it isn't, because the Pistons are finally taking matters seriously.

The ever-present title belt sat perched atop Wallace's cubicle. The name Roscoe is etched across its front. It's the nickname that former Portland teammate Walt Williams gave him many moons ago.

It's there for all to see, but Wallace insists his motivation comes from the pictures that grace the walls of the Pistons' practice facility -- pictures of Detroit winning it all last season -- a constant reminder of the only objective that matters.

"It's the first and the last thing that we see," he said. "That's what inspires me. That's what this is all about."

And their lazy approach against a clearly overmatched team might just cost them that goal. They finally got the message that they should get past the Pacers.

But that was never the big prize.

Contact DREW SHARP at 313-223-4055 or dsharp@freepress.com.

MITCH ALBOM: Billups makes his points with actions, not words

May 16, 2005

BY MITCH ALBOM
    FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

INDIANAPOLIS -- When you absolutely, positively have to win a game, it's nice to have your opponents shoot like trash-can drummers on the streets in New York. You know, clank, clank, thump, thump? The Pacers saw the bottom of the net Sunday about as often as Bill Gates sees a phone bill, and their futility was all over the scoreboard.

They scraped 13 points in the first quarter, barely broke 20 halfway through the second, didn't reach 50 until near the end of the third, and after that, who cared? Reggie Miller didn't have a point in the first half. Jermaine O'Neal missed nine of his first 10 shots. Jeff Foster, the miracle man off the bench, played more like the bench Sunday, a wooden performance, one basket, one rebound.

Still, when you absolutely, positively have to win a game, you don't want to wait for the other guys to stink the place up. You want to make things happen.

Enter Chauncey Billups.

Twenty-nine points, six assists and two steals later, the game is won.

"I can't believe he hasn't been an All Star," gushed Pacers coach Rick Carlisle after the game was sealed, and the Pistons had tied the series at two games apiece. "I'm a big fan. He's a great player."

And Carlisle coaches the other guys.

Now remember, Billups had been shooting only 38 percent in this series, was fairly bleak from three-point range, and had been outplayed by Indiana's Jamaal Tinsley in the depressing Game 3 upset. It was time for the point guard to, well, be the point guard.

He did it, right from the start.

When they absolutely, positively had to have it.

Chauncey takes charge from the start

He hit a reverse lay-up, then a fast-break lay-up. He hit a nine-foot jumper. He fed Ben Wallace for a dunk. He stole the ball and fed Rasheed Wallace for a slam. By the end of the first quarter, Billups had nine points and three assists, and the Pistons never looked back.

"I wanted to come out aggressive," Billups said. "I think our aggressiveness dictated the game, and my team followed me."

Indeed they did. Make no mistake. Rasheed may have verbally guaranteed this win (which was kind of unfair, because he did it in response to a reporter's question, which isn't quite the same thing as shouting it from a mountaintop), but words are words, and action is action.

Chauncey provided the action.

Never more than in the third quarter, the only time Indiana made any serious run. Rasheed had mouthed off after a foul, had drawn a technical, and Indiana's free throws cut a lead that had once been 17 points all the way down to six. The crowd was back into it. The ThunderStix were pounding.

But there was Billups, once again, racing upcourt with Rip Hamilton on a fast break, laying the ball in. There he was pushing the ball and drawing a foul and making both free throws. There he was stepping back into a long jumper, 23 feet, all net.

He scored seven points in less than two minutes.

Say good night.

"Chauncey put his stamp on the game," Carlisle said of that stretch. "And that was really the last time we were in it."

As the point guards go ...
    Watching this series -- at least the games the Pistons win -- you wonder why it is tied. Detroit seems to have more tools, more reliable shooters, and a more solid starting five.

But from the outset, we said these two teams are mirror images of each other, and one of the things that is the same for both is that when the shooting is off, the team generally loses, and when the point guard plays well, the team generally wins.

Tinsley proved that in Game 3.

Billups proved it in Game 4.

Someone asked Billups after the game if playing the point for Larry Brown -- who is notoriously hard on men at that position -- had gotten any easier.

"Never," he said, laughing. "It never gets easy. He's relentless, man. ... There are times when I go home and I'm not very happy with him, and times he goes home and he's not very happy with me.

"But I love him to death. He's never gonna let up. He holds your feet to the fire."

Funny, that's what Billups did to the Pacers.

It's all tied up, they're coming back to the Palace, and as Billups noted, it's a three-game series with two games in Detroit.

Who knows what Tuesday brings? This thing has already taken some unusual turns. But this doesn't change: When you absolutely, positively have to have the game, you want the guy wearing No. 1 to act like his number.

Oh, and if the other team wants to shoot like amateurs, you'll take that, too.

Contact MITCH ALBOM at 313-223-4581 or albom@freepress.com. Catch "The Mitch Albom Show" 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WJR-AM (760). Also catch "Monday Sports Albom" 7-8 p.m. Mondays on WJR. To read recent columns by Albom, go to www.freep.com/index/albom.

ROAD RAGE: Pistons get aggressive, back up Rasheed

May 16, 2005

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- Rasheed Wallace said the Pistons would return to Detroit with their Eastern Conference semifinal series tied, 2-2.

And he did his part Sunday to make sure that happened.

Wallace had his best game of the series, getting 17 points, 12 rebounds and five blocked shots and helping the Pistons to the predicted victory over the Pacers at Conseco Fieldhouse, 89-76.

"I know the character and the heart of the guys in our locker room," Wallace said. "It was answering the bell. We knew we couldn't go down, 3-1, to this team, so we had to come out and answer that bell. ... It's still a series."

Game 5 in the best-of-seven series is 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Palace.

Chauncey Billups also had his best scoring game of the series with 29 points on 10-of-20 shooting. He said he liked that Wallace predicted the Pistons' victory.

"He puts a lot of pressure on himself and you know he's going to come out with his top effort," Billups said. "That was just a little added incentive. We knew that it was a crucial game for us, but his comments just added a little bit. We just tried to stay aggressive."

Detroit scored 25 points off 19 Pacers turnovers. Billups helped force Jamaal Tinsley into seven turnovers.

"Rasheed would be the first to say that his team backed him up," Pistons coach Larry Brown said. "He's a great teammate and was taking all the blame for us losing after Games 2 and 3."

Wallace also locked up the Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal, who had his second straight bad shooting game. O'Neal scored 10 points on just 4-of-15 shooting. He pulled down 13 rebounds.

O'Neal said Wallace was aggressive. "He came out and hit some pick-and-pops," O'Neal said. "He was 8-of-20 and I thought he tired late."

O'Neal was 2-for-11 in Game 3. "I just didn't make them," he said of Sunday's game. "I played bad. I was terrible tonight. I stunk the gym up.

"Sometimes you have those type of games, and for me it was tonight. We felt good about our shots. We took a lot of shots. It just didn't fall for us. We weren't able to make the shots we had."

The Pacers were 26-of-70 from the field (37.1%).

"Tonight we had some great looks, Jermaine and myself, and we just didn't make them," said the Pacers' Reggie Miller, who was 2-of-6 and scored just seven points.

Three Pistons reached double figures in rebounding -- Wallace led the way with his 12, and Ben Wallace and Tayshaun Prince each added 10. Detroit had a 47-41 edge on the boards.

Antonio McDyess added six rebounds and scored 12 points. He left the game with 10:29 to play and got two stitches for a cut below his right eye, courtesy of an Anthony Johnson head-butt. He returned to the bench before the end of the game.

As for backing up Rasheed Wallace's victory guarantee, McDyess said: "We didn't want him to be a liar. I think we did a tremendous job. ... I tried to get hustle plays and baskets when we needed them."

The Pistons set the defensive tone early, hounding the Pacers into 13 straight misses during an eight-minute stretch in the first quarter. Detroit jumped out to a 21-13 lead, and Indiana was forced to play catch-up for the remainder of the game.

The Pacers went on an 8-0 run during the third quarter -- a stretch in which Rasheed Wallace was called for a technical foul and Indiana closed its deficit to 56-50.

But the Pistons responded with a 16-2 run in the next five minutes, using a triple from Prince to take a 20-point lead, 72-52. Billups added seven points during the run.

"Give Detroit a lot of credit," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "They really raised the level of their game. We knew they would play a great game and we knew they would play their best and they did."

Contact PERRY A. FARRELL at 313-222-2555 o

[QUOTE=Unclebuck]http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/...e_20050516.htm

Bob Kravitz, Indianapolis Star, writing before Sunday's game: Oh, and one more thing: Reggie Miller is now saying that today's game is the "biggest in franchise history." This officially marks the 12th time in Miller's 18 years that he has proclaimed the next game to be the "biggest in franchise history."

QUOTE]

What's up w/Kravitz? Why call out Reggie for that statement? As if we don't get enough abuse from the Detroit media, our own Indy writers bash our players. Wake up! Game 4 IS A BIG GAME!! What a jerk.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

It is amazing to compare the columns written by Mitch Album and Drew Sharp.

Album is a great writer and his column makes a lot of good points and is just fun to read. Drew Sharp is just trash. He is shockingly bad.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Album is a great writer and his column makes a lot of good points and is just fun to read. Drew Sharp is just trash. He is shockingly bad.
    I don't mean to pick on you, UB, but wow.

Just ... you know ...

Wow.

sweabs

Man, some of those articles really rub me the wrong way with their underlying conceeded, "we're better than you" attitude. The stuff about "The Pacers are paying $15 million for a guy shooting nothing but airballs", and "It's all about playing Miami next round...".

Doesn't really surprise me though...most Piston fans I know share a similar attitude.

Amazing how much time was spent in a couple of those articles talking about the Heat.

This series is as much soap opera as basketball - we'll see if the Pistons can back up yesterday on Tuesday. I still don't get the sense they take the Pacers quite as seriously as they should.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This series is as much soap opera as basketball - we'll see if the Pistons can back up yesterday on Tuesday. I still don't get the sense they take the Pacers quite as seriously as they should.
    I agree, thats why I believe we are going to win the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    I don't mean to pick on you, UB, but wow.

Just ... you know ...

Wow.

Sorry. Of course you had to quote it so I can't correct my errors.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interesting comments by Tinsley

May 16, 2005

BY CHRIS NELSEN
    FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- Carlos Arroyo didn't know if he was ever going to get off the bench again after not playing in the past two games.

But coach Larry Brown called the point guard's number late in the first quarter of the Pistons' 89-76 Game 4 victory over the Pacers on Sunday.

"Obviously, he was ready for it," Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince said.

Arroyo took advantage of the opportunity and gave a lacking Detroit bench some life. He had two points, four assists and one steal in 12 minutes.

"It feels good because the last couple of games I thought I was going to be called, but it didn't happen," Arroyo said.

Said Prince: "He really shared the ball for us when he came in, and we needed that."

Arroyo hadn't played in the series since Game 1, when he played nine minutes, though almost four came late in the fourth quarter when the Pistons had a big lead.

Brown has been reluctant to play Arroyo partly because of his defense.

But Arroyo held his own against the Pacers and guard Jamaal Tinsley.

"We tried to contain him from going to the basket, but I think today was one of those days that we contained almost everybody," Arroyo said.

Arroyo's contribution was important because it allowed starter Chauncey Billups to stay fresh. Billups, who had his best game of the series with 29 points, was happy to see Arroyo get some minutes.

"I thought Carlos was great. I'm just glad that Coach gave him an opportunity in a series like this," Billups said. "I'm looking forward to him getting another opportunity again in the next game."

If Arroyo can have more success, that would give the Pistons two solid backup options for Billups and Richard Hamilton (Lindsey Hunter already is a solid defensive contributor).

Arroyo hopes he has earned Brown's trust.

"It's up to him if he trusts me or not," Arroyo said. "I trust myself when I'm out there, and hopefully he sees that. I want to play, but my job is to stay ready as a professional and I understand that this is a team of sacrifices."

TINSLEY STRUGGLES: Tinsley's ability to consistently dribble inside on the Pistons helped the Pacers win two straight games. But in Game 4, the Pistons finally solved him, holding him to one assist and forcing him into seven turnovers.

"They were looking for me to pass more," Tinsley said. "They were playing the passing lane and deflecting my balls. They had the wings crowded more so I can't throw the direct pass. I give them credit; they came out with a game plan, and they stuck with it. I'm going to have nights like this, but it isn't going to be too many nights, so I'm not worrying."

Well no wonder JT had such a bad game! If somebodies out ther deflecting my balls I ain't gonna play too well either!!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Sorry. Of course you had to quote it so I can't correct my errors.

Graywolf_59

While I think L.B is a Good coach....I put him in the class of Phil Jackson....I.E....He will only coach a team that has all ready been built for a Championship run in a couple of years.If L.B or P.J R such (Great) coach's.....Why not take over a lowly team and build to a Championship caliber team.While Rick Carlisle did take the Pacer's job-(How do U think LB or PJ would have handled this year if they had coached the Pacer's?)(I think they would have been gone on April 21,2005)!Rick should have won Coach of the year.(Period)!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf_59
    While I think L.B is a Good coach....I put him in the class of Phil Jackson....I.E....He will only coach a team that has all ready been built for a Championship run in a couple of years.If L.B or P.J R such (Great) coach's.....Why not take over a lowly team and build to a Championship caliber team.While Rick Carlisle did take the Pacer's job-(How do U think LB or PJ would have handled this year if they had coached the Pacer's?)(I think they would have been gone on April 21,2005)!Rick should have won Coach of the year.(Period)!
    That's ridiculous.

The Pistons are the first good professional team that Larry Brown has taken over. Prior to Detroit, taking over bad teams and molding them into winners is ALL Larry Brown had done on the professional level.

While I agree that Larry Brown wouldn't have done near the job Rick Carlisle did this season (and I'm not sure many coaches would have), to say all Larry Brown does is take over teams built for a championship is just plain ignorant.

While I think L.B is a Good coach....I put him in the class of Phil Jackson....I.E....He will only coach a team that has all ready been built for a Championship run in a couple of years.If L.B or P.J R such (Great) coach's.....Why not take over a lowly team and build to a Championship caliber team.
    You mean like he did when he first came to the Pacers?

Or do you mean like he did when he first came to the Sixers?

Graywolf_59

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    That's ridiculous.

The Pistons are the first good professional team that Larry Brown has taken over. Prior to Detroit, taking over bad teams and molding them into winners is ALL Larry Brown had done on the professional level.

While I agree that Larry Brown wouldn't have done near the job Rick Carlisle did this season (and I'm not sure many coaches would have), to say all Larry Brown does is take over teams built for a championship is just plain ignorant.
    Name me 1 team that LB hasn't went to in the (NBA) that didn't have @ least 2 star's+(No Name's) and win a NBA Championship with?
    Pacer's=Uncle Reggie/M Jackson?(Should have won 1)!
    Sixer's=AI/?-(Can't remember his name)!
    Pist_on's=Rip/BWallace/RWallace!

Name me 1 team that LB hasn't went to in the (NBA) that didn't have @ least 2 star's+(No Name's) and win a NBA Championship with?
    Uh, the Pacers didn't have Mark Jackson when LB came.

Heck, there isn't a team in the league without two stars. The Clippers have Elton Brand and Corey Maggette - are they championship contenders? I'd take them over AI and Jerry Stackhouse.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know about bad, but Sharp is certainly disrespectful.

If the Pacers want anything to get their blood boiling, they need look no further than the TNT and ESPN sportscasters' quotes, or to Sharp's article.

Everyone is talking about a Detroit - Miami matchup, when clearly Detroit has all they can handle right now with the Pacers.

It would be extremely satisfying if the Pacers can rise to the occassion and make all these ba5tards eat crow!

Pistons were the only complete team that Larry has coached in his NBA career.

Just to recap for you, when Larry took the Indy job, the first move was to trade a 18 point scorer Detlef Schrempf to get Derrick "I will not shoot" Mckey. He molded those 90s Pacers teams into doing what they did, all those conference finals,etc. When Larry took the job, Reggie was really a one dimensional player. Larry is the reason Reggie, Dale and Antonio got those huge contracts. He motivated them and made them believe in themselves.

Larry is such a good coach that he took even AI to the finals. What I mean is he is a good motivator and won't take any bull**** sideshows like Phil Jackson would turn a blind eye on ( Rodman, etc). Also, just to clarify, Larry did nor have anyone other than AI in philly.

He took the freaking clippers to the playoffs(I believe he is the only one to do that).

He has his faults like calling out players, etc but that is Larry. He is one heck of a coach.

Example - When the Pacers under Isiah doubled up AI in the first game and won it with a Reggie game winner, you should have seen the adjustments Larry made for the second game. It was like night and day. He was getting open like crazy. He is one hell of an Xs and Os guy.

Larry also took the Clipper's job. They certainly weren't contenders.

King Mob

The Pistons weren't even contenders when Larry took over, although they're probably the most talented group he's had to work with. Hell, the Pistons weren't considered contenders till the fourth quarter of game 5 of the Finals last year...