Thread: Pistons D vs. Tins

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pistons D vs. Tins

What worries me, aside from Rasheed going crazy on O (he thrives off of his raised knucklehead quotient) is the Pistons throwing a new defensive wrinkle in to stop Jamaal's penetration. This has been the key to keeping our offense non-stagnant.

Does anyone have any idea if/what they might do???

I also secretly predict a James Jones Impact today...

canyoufeelit

Default Re: Pistons D vs. Tins

They can't do anything. He's too crafty with the ball. Even if they throw a different defender than Billups on Tinsley, they still can't pressure him and that creates a mismatch for someone else. Tinsley will break every press, pass out of every trap, and if they're stupid enough to doubleteam at the top of the key then bring that on too.

They can't do much when Tinsley has the ball, but they can sure get Chauncey involved more offensively and rack up some fouls on Tins. Which is probably what they are going to do, attack Tinsley as much as possible. Look for him to get 2 quick fouls in the first quarter.
    Pacers are gonna really need a good game by AJ today, and that also implies the Pacers are gonna have to hit alot of jumpshots and run their halfcourt sets well.

But if they do shut him down, you're right that the only cure will be hitting our outside shots. And man are you ever right about him keeping our offense from getting stagnant. That was one of the biggest differences between game 1 and 2.

Sports Logo

What on earth are they going to try that every single other team in the NBA has yet to figure out. They cant trap him, they cant keep him out of the lane. His injury last year is why we didnt get past them. Him being healthy this year is why we are up 2 to 1. (of course Jeff has a lot to do with it to.)

Every game he gets more and more healthy. He his his 3's in the last game that had to scare the **** out of them. I dont think they can do anything about Jamaal other than back off him and make him shoot 3's all night but that is an iffy proposition considering he was shooting a very high % in last years playoffs and started hitting them again last night.

The game on 11/19 was IMO Tinsley's best performance of his career. I know the fight mars our memories but he took them apart. He was stealing the ball getting assists and driving the lane at will. I dont think they have an answer for him.

Tinsley is simply out of control with the ball in his hands, I'm not sure there is a whole lot they can do to stop his penetration, but like others have said, expect them to go at him hard with Billups.

Quick question- Is Tinsley the best ball handler in the league? I remember thinking so during the season, just wondering what others thought about this.... when he's at his best, the ball is pretty much his own personal yo-yo.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I've thought Tinsley was a top 5 PG the last 2 years, but he will never get any recognition missing so many games.

And ya who is better at ball handling and court vision? Jkidd maybe, Nash? Tins does stuff thought that I hadn't seen before like those triple crossover then the spin left, crossover, spin right - spin left again layups )
    He will make the All-Star team next year if he can stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What on earth are they going to try that every single other team in the NBA has yet to figure out. They cant trap him, they cant keep him out of the lane. His injury last year is why we didnt get past them. Him being healthy this year is why we are up 2 to 1. (of course Jeff has a lot to do with it to.)

Every game he gets more and more healthy. He his his 3's in the last game that had to scare the **** out of them. I dont think they can do anything about Jamaal other than back off him and make him shoot 3's all night but that is an iffy proposition considering he was shooting a very high % in last years playoffs and started hitting them again last night.

The game on 11/19 was IMO Tinsley's best performance of his career. I know the fight mars our memories but he took them apart. He was stealing the ball getting assists and driving the lane at will. I dont think they have an answer for him.
    The only thing you can do is stay disciplined. Move your feet, don't go for steals, don't take chances, because Tinsley will burn you.

Tinsley will get in the lane, you can't stop that altogether. But if you limit it, then you've taken away a big advantage the Pacers have.

Of course, the best thing is to get him in foul trouble.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I've been less enthusiastic about Tins than others, and I have a soft spot for AJ.

That being said, I have never seen a player invent moves like Jamaal Tinsley. I've seen great offensive players, great creators, for sure. And what is exciting about watching those players is that they seem to find the exact place on the floor to go--and here we are watching from an elevated view and they seem to find the perfect space from ground level. Truly amazing.

But Tinsley is even more amazing. He is the first player that I can ever remember who creates moves and opportunities that, even from my elevated view, I could not envision, did not know were there, and still can't quite see what exactly he did and how he pulled it off AFTER I watched him do it.

People use the word 'crafty' to describe him. Yeah, that's a good one. He may be the craftiest player I've ever seen.

See - it all starts with Chauncey - if you assume that Billups can't keep him out of the lane alone (and he can't) then the Pistons have a bunch of options - and none of them are really good.

You can shade another player to cover, but when the Pacers go to their motion offense, that leaves open spots in the defense (more open spots - rotations do that anyway) and Tinsley knows how to take advantage of it. I'm sure Carlisle has some baseline screens, etc., waiting depending on what Detroit does.

You always have some vulnerable areas with your game. And so does the other guy. In this series, whoever takes advantage of those the best wins.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

This game was about as good as you can do on Tinsley. Even when he did penetrate, the Pistons almost always had a defender in front of him.