Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Pritchard ready to use aggressive approach on Indiana Pacers' revamp

Default Kevin Pritchard ready to use aggressive approach on Indiana Pacers' revamp

INDIANAPOLIS - Kevin Pritchard spent the last six seasons speaking his mind privately.

He shared his crazy ideas with Larry Bird, occasionally agreed to disagree with the boss, and might have even tried to persuade Bird to be more aggressive with player moves. Now, the Indiana Pacers are about to see if Pritchard can live up to his word.

"I think you have to be bold in this position," Pritchard said earlier this week after being given the team's president of basketball operations job. "I like interchanging pieces, I like moving around in the draft, I want to be aggressive, I want to make deals."

Pritchard's attitude may be just what the Pacers need as they enter a transformational offseason.

He has played this game before, though his wheeling-and-dealing ways cost him the general manager's position in Portland after a little more than three seasons. But the man who was hired to replace Bird acknowledges he's not the same guy who was fired on draft night in 2010.

Pritchard credits Bird with teaching him about the importance of continuity. After returning to his home state in 2011, Pritchard said he understood that great minds don't always have to think alike - until a final decision is made and then everyone must present a unified front. He developed an affinity for Bird's ability to speak plainly, bluntly and meaningfully, and he's even changing his mind about the thought of Lance Stephenson playing point guard.

But Pritchard still intends to be aggressive with trades, in free agency and with a budget that even made Bird reconsider his plan to step down as the team's lead decision maker.

"After seeing next year's budget, I almost want to stay," Bird joked on Monday. "I think he's the right guy."

While the Pacers have a pretty good notion of what they have in Pritchard, it's the Indiana native who is waiting to see what cards he's dealt.

Former All-Star point guard Jeff Teague, forwards C.J. Miles and Lavoy Allen, and backup guard Aaron Brooks can all become free agents. Four-time All-Star Paul George has one year left on his contract and could become trade bait if he refuses to commit to playing in Indiana next season. Pritchard said he expects to keep George well beyond 2017-18 and will do almost anything to make it possible.

That will require Pritchard to put a better supporting cast around George, who has made no secret of his desire to bring the Pacers their first NBA title.

Pritchard, born in Bloomington, Indiana, grew up in suburban Indianapolis, and understands.

"This team has been to the playoffs 22 of the last 29 years and we want to be successful," Pritchard said. "The message (from George) was that he wants to win. We want to win. So we're on the same page."

The conventional wisdom last summer, after the Pacers acquired Teague and forward Thaddeus Young in trades, was that they might be on the cusp of returning to the Eastern Conference finals. Instead, they needed to win their last five regular-season games just to make the playoffs, and were swept by defending champion Cleveland in four games.

So Pritchard will begin the revamp from inside the organization.

He's encouraging promising center Myles Turner to come back bigger and stronger. Pritchard wants Stephenson to get healthy so he can energize the Pacers in a way others cannot. Of course, Pritchard wants to re-sign Teague and George, and he wants the Pacers to get back to some of their more traditional traits.

"Look, we have to be a tougher team," Pritchard said. "We won at home last year, but when you look at what it takes to win on the road, you have to be physical and you have to play tough. So toughness is what I want to add to the team. We used to be known as a lunch pail team, and we have to get that back."

And now it's Pritchard who must finish the job.

"As the No. 2 guy, you make all sorts of recommendations and some are crazy, and then you move into this role," he said. "Sometimes, it's OK being the No. 2 guy, too. But Larry and I have had a lot of conversations and he just said `It's time for you."'
    http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/0...-pacers-revamp

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Kevin Pritchard ready to use aggressive approach on Indiana Pacers' revamp

I'll be happy if deals aren't done just to make deals, if there is a clear direction in which he wants this team to go in, and he stays consistent to that approach. Teams who win championships in a small market aren't built in 1, 2, 3, or sometimes even 4 years. In my mind, small yet sustainable improvement is better for this team than trying to do too much at one time. This has burned us in the past, and I hope it doesn't happen under Pritchard's watch.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kevin Pritchard ready to use aggressive approach on Indiana Pacers' revamp

Well, color me excited, whatever color that is. I guess blue and gold.

Show us what you've got, Pritch!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be happy if deals aren't done just to make deals, if there is a clear direction in which he wants this team to go in, and he stays consistent to that approach. Teams who win championships in a small market aren't built in 1, 2, 3, or sometimes even 4 years. In my mind, small yet sustainable improvement is better for this team than trying to do too much at one time. This has burned us in the past, and I hope it doesn't happen under Pritchard's watch.
    With all due respect to Larry Bird, Pritchard isn't going do a worse job of acquiring players. Bird compiled just about the worst mix of players I have seen in Indiana. Yes, there is some talent. But they fit horribly.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

[Pritchard's] even changing his mind about the thought of Lance Stephenson playing point guard.
    That's about the only thing in this article I didn't hear at the press conference. Is this inside information or just inferred from his press conference?
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

10. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

We'll see. Just because he took over doesn't mean that free agents are going to suddenly start beating down the door to play in Indiana.

This what I got out of it...

Lance might become the starting PG.
    Paul George won't get traded unless he gets a Godfather deal.
    Turner won't get traded.
    Jefferson and Ellis will be traded.
    He will attempt to obtain another "fiery" player.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

So far I like what I'm hearing so we'll see. This team needs to get bigger and focus on defense more than offense and this team needs to be more physical.
    Ideally find a starting defensive minded pf/c to rebound and defend against post players along with a starting quality 2/3 to either to give us another shooter on the floor and get bigger there as well. The problem is that we don't have that kind of cap space to play with.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    That's about the only thing in this article I didn't hear at the press conference. Is this inside information or just inferred from his press conference?
    Lance at backup point guard is exactly where I thought he'd fit next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Lance at backup point guard is exactly where I thought he'd fit next season.
    He will be starting. He will be averaging over 30mpg at starting PG. The keys are being handed over to Lance...
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Just listened to Pritchard's press conference. He gave a shout out to Noblesville and the Boys Club. That's the first place I played competitive basketball too.

Also, considering I knew him as a young man when he lived in Noblesville, I'm pretty proud of where he is today. It was really wild seeing him. I can see the younger version of him that I remembered from almost 40 years ago.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I'll probably get critical.comments for saying this lol, but I hope he signs Tyler Hansbrough back. Phsyco T has his limits, but he is another hustle guy who can get the crowd into the game. Tyler was putting up good numbers in the D league. Hopefully he is over the vertigo issues.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rimrattler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    He will be starting. He will be averaging over 30mpg at starting PG. The keys are being handed over to Lance...
    And because this is likely the case he needs to shoot a million threes this summer.
    I have always felt to get the most out of Lance he needs to play point. Early on he was not mature enough to handle it.
    Now he is.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rimrattler View Post
    I'll probably get critical.comments for saying this lol, but I hope he signs Tyler Hansbrough back. Phsyco T has his limits, but he is another hustle guy who can get the crowd into the game. Tyler was putting up good numbers in the D league. Hopefully he is over the vertigo issues.
    If I could place money on him being Allen's replacement, I'd do it. I'm guessing he can be had for 3.5 mill

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    And because this is likely the case he needs to shoot a million threes this summer.
    I have always felt to get the most out of Lance he needs to play point. Early on he was not mature enough to handle it.
    Now he is.
    While he is still called a wing, I would not be surprised if he took over the PG duties. I don't think the Pacers are going to chase Jeff Teague. Kevin said he wants a tougher team. A bigger team. He gets that with Lance running the point. He doesn't with Monta and Jeff Teague starting. I think the days of a smallish back court are over for good in Indiana.

...and as for shooting I agree. Lance should be shooting a hundred 3's every day if not more. The Pacers should be working on that aspect of his game. At the same time, he shot well in the playoffs. I wonder if he averages 39% for an entire season as opposed to only the playoffs if that will satisfy the detractors.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

The PR machine is in full off season mode.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

While he is still called a wing, I would not be surprised if he took over the PG duties. I don't think the Pacers are going to chase Jeff Teague. Kevin said he wants a tougher team. A bigger team. He gets that with Lance running the point. He doesn't with Monta and Jeff Teague starting. I think the days of a smallish back court are over for good in Indiana.

...and as for shooting I agree. Lance should be shooting a hundred 3's every day if not more. The Pacers should be working on that aspect of his game. At the same time, he shot well in the playoffs. I wonder if he averages 39% for an entire season as opposed to only the playoffs if that will satisfy the detractors.
    Teams know Lance wants to drive and dish and will play off him until he makes it hurt for them to do so.
    I like Teague too as he can break down defenses at a high rate. Not sure if the Pacers will be able to afford him.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

30. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Pacers want to show that they are serious about making a run at Lebron, they're going to need to be agressive.

They'll have to be very agressive to keep PG engaged and willing to sign an extension.

Agressive would be going all out to sign Gordon Hayward, George Hill (a move to satisfy PG), Paul Milsap, Kyle Lowry, Blake Grifin, or Chris Paul. If they can't get at least one of those guys, along with some 3 point shooters and tough rebounders, they might as well trade PG because he's going to leave for nothing at the end of the season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I heard Myles has already packed on 15 lbs of muscle and has dramatically improved his ability to box out working with tim duncan in the offseason
    Lifelong pacers fan

33. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Some Guy

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    I heard Myles has already packed on 15 lbs of muscle and has dramatically improved his ability to box out working with tim duncan in the offseason
    Heard him muttering dominate to himself over and over in the weight room...

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    If the Pacers want to show that they are serious about making a run at Lebron, they're going to need to be agressive.

They'll have to be very agressive to keep PG engaged and willing to sign an extension.

Agressive would be going all out to sign Gordon Hayward, George Hill (a move to satisfy PG), Paul Milsap, Kyle Lowry, Blake Grifin, or Chris Paul. If they can't get at least one of those guys, along with some 3 point shooters and tough rebounders, they might as well trade PG because he's going to leave for nothing at the end of the season.
    This is why I'm thinking this offseason is going to be a win-win. Either PG is going to be dealt or he's not going to be dealt & they're going to be active & going all out trying to improve this roster (somehow.) I much prefer the trade Paul route but it'll be interesting if he stays. And if he stays he better resign. If we go into next season & he's not on a new extended deal then (there's nothing I can do) but I'll be pissed. It's fairly simple. If he resigns then awesome, if he declines the extension then trade him. That easy.

Paul & the Pacers are going to know his all-NBA status within the next 2 weeks. So from the time they know that to the draft Paul should be able to make a decision.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Lord help us all. I would have more confidence if my 8 year old daughter was driving a bus load of people across country.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Pritchard is like a living 2k MyGM

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I remember him being quoted about it in the interview he did (with ?) after the press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It's an AP article, so if the AP is doing our PR for us great.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Lord help us all. I would have more confidence if my 8 year old daughter was driving a bus load of people across country.
    I think you will enjoy the dominance...eventually. The Pacers just need to put more pieces around Paul and Lance, send Myles to Ruth Chris and we will be back to contention.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Full court press on Hayward!

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post: