Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Pritchard ready to use aggressive approach on Indiana Pacers' revamp

Default Re: Kevin Pritchard ready to use aggressive approach on Indiana Pacers' revamp

I know this has been asked probably a million times, but I'll never fully understand the cap. Is it even likely that we could retain Teague, add Hayward, and add Howard or Blake in addition to convincing PG to stay?

This is assuming that Teague gets market value - the idea that he'll sign a cheap deal to be on a hometown discount is unfair to him and unrealistic. So then we have to figure out what market value is for him.

And then I'm assuming we'd have to fill the bench with Mad Ants.

So many variables here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kevin Pritchard ready to use aggressive approach on Indiana Pacers' revamp

Any chance of adding multiple highly paid players (Hayward, Howard, Blake, etc) while also retaining Teague is dependent on a number of things.

The Pacers would have to trade/move/stretch current contracts for a player (Howard, Faried) or for Cap Space (unlikely). Then they could sign a higher salaried player (Hayward/Blake), then they could resign Teague and go into the luxury tax.

Its possible, but all of those things happening in one off season is wishful thinking/best case scenario

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Teague/Stephenson
    Butler/Hayward
    George
    Turner
    Howard

Is this a title contending team?
    Not going to lie, looking at that lineup makes my pockets hurt for Simon lol

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Any chance of adding multiple highly paid players (Hayward, Howard, Blake, etc) while also retaining Teague is dependent on a number of things.

The Pacers would have to trade/move/stretch current contracts for a player (Howard, Faried) or for Cap Space (unlikely). Then they could sign a higher salaried player (Hayward/Blake), then they could resign Teague and go into the luxury tax.

Its possible, but all of those things happening in one off season is wishful thinking/best case scenario
    The thing is, Simon can make it all happen w/o a trade partner, it will just cost him (stretch and/or buyout). And if you bring in a Blake or a Hayward, the Pacers would make so much on that type of name.

So I think the money is there to go for it, the only thing that makes this unlikely is will the big names want to come here. But if they do, Simon has all the power to make it happen.

Sports Logo

Blake back home to OCK makes too much sense not to happen. Gotta at least try really hard.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I wouldn't want Dwight Howard at any price.
    You're not alone, I think

I don't want that malcontent (Howard) anywhere near our team

Id seriously trade for Drummond first
    Sittin on top of the world!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    The thing is, Simon can make it all happen w/o a trade partner, it will just cost him (stretch and/or buyout). And if you bring in a Blake or a Hayward, the Pacers would make so much on that type of name.

So I think the money is there to go for it, the only thing that makes this unlikely is will the big names want to come here. But if they do, Simon has all the power to make it happen.
    There have been some rumors that Simon is looking to sell. I would also think that those names could add a little value to the team.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I don't like Dwight Howard the person, but that kind of player is pretty much exactly what we need next to Myles, aside from his free throw liability.

Faried though, no. We don't need small bigs.
    He's not though. Myles is not moving to power forward. I know that's the en vogue idea around here, but it isn't going to happen. Furthermore, we are in a positionless NBA where versatility and shooting are at a premium. Dwight Howard can play one position, frankly doesn't even play it that well anymore, and he can't hit a shot outside of 10 feet. He's a highly paid relic that isn't helping you win.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Default Kevin Pritchard ready to use aggressive approach on Indiana Pacers' revamp

He's not though. Myles is not moving to power forward. I know that's the en vogue idea around here, but it isn't going to happen. Furthermore, we are in a positionless NBA where versatility and shooting are at a premium. Dwight Howard can play one position, frankly doesn't even play it that well anymore, and he can't hit a shot outside of 10 feet. He's a highly paid relic that isn't helping you win.
    Size advantage at all positions?

I don't think it's an impossible circumstance that we will target a 7 footer this offseason.

Even Pritchard during his press conference called Myles a 4/5.

Ignore me if you wish, I'm just wishful thinking. I liked Mahinmi / Turner last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Size advantage at all positions?

I don't think it's an impossible circumstance that we will target a 7 footer this offseason.

Even Pritchard during his press conference called Myles a 4/5.

Ignore me if you wish, I'm just wishful thinking. I liked Mahinmi / Turner last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If the right guy comes along, they would probably consider it. But Dwight Howard ain't that guy.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Bird made every indication that he was going after a starting center at the trade deadline and spoke of frustration with Turner wanting to play too much on the perimeter. If Pritchard is going in the direction of wanting to get bigger and tougher as he has said then I think you're wrong. Turner will be playing lot at pf next year.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I don't really care whether people call Myles a 4 or a 5, but I would like his frontcount partner to have several different qualities:

1. Dominant rebounder
    2. Excellent defender
    3. Reasonably mobile
    4. Capable of hitting an outside shot

In that order of priority. Obviously it's going to be very tough to find someone who can fit all of those criteria, but as long as they have 1 and 2, I think we can adjust the roster around them.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I don't really care whether people call Myles a 4 or a 5, but I would like his frontcount partner to have several different qualities:

1. Dominant rebounder
    2. Excellent defender
    3. Reasonably mobile

In that order of priority. Obviously it's going to be very tough to find someone who can fit all of those criteria, but as long as they have 1 and 2, I think we can adjust the roster around them.
    Kyle O'Quinn? Quincy Acy?

As much as everyone talks about the new NBA bs and having 5 guys that can stretch the floor and what not, most of the very good teams have one guy who's main job is the dirty work (rebound, block shots, set screens, finish plays off of everyone else's offense).

Guys like Thompson, Zaza, Gortat, Capella, etc.

Typically those guys are Cs, but I don't think it matters what position they play as much as it is apparent that we lack anyone that can do this at a starter level next to Myles

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I'm trying to think of more realistic guys that we could possibly end up with. Too bad Quincy Acy signed a multi-yr deal with the Nets. And I'm assuming Reggie Evans is washed up since he's playing in the Big3.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

1. Dominant rebounder
    2. Excellent defender
    3. Reasonably mobile

That wouldn't be just very tough, I honestly don't think that there is a single person on the planet that can currently do all those things...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    Who is this WE you speak of? Personally I'm getting him if he's available.
    He makes $14 mil per year. And only does one thing well, and that one thing he isn't that great at anymore.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    He makes $14 mil per year. And only does one thing well, and that one thing he isn't that great at anymore.
    I'm not a big fan of Faried either, but if he would have qualified this year, his offensive rebound percentage would have lead the entire league!

Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Faried either, but if he would have qualified this year, his offensive rebound percentage would have lead the entire league!
    Ok. But our issue is obviously we lack shooters around Paul. $14 mil is too much for Faried. Beats $24 mil for Howard though. Although Howard's game would make Teague's life so much easier. Lobs, pick and rolls and stuff. Just wish Dwight would accept that he's not Superman version 1 anymore.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    Not going to lie, looking at that lineup makes my pockets hurt for Simon lol
    If you makes you feel better, the slash was supposed to be "or", lol.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Ok. But our issue is obviously we lack shooters around Paul. $14 mil is too much for Faried. Beats $24 mil for Howard though. Although Howard's game would make Teague's life so much easier. Lobs, pick and rolls and stuff. Just wish Dwight would accept that he's not Superman version 1 anymore.
    Pacers had the one of the better 3pt percentages around the league. Offense wasn't the problem, defense and rebounding was

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Version 2...

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Sports Logo

I'm not saying that he's a savior or anything.....but you really have to get your facts straight.

The guy averaged 7.6 rpg last season playing over 22 mpg COMING OFF THE BENCH. He rebounded only slighty better than Myles ( 7.3 rpg ) who played 9 more minutes per game as a Starter.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Pacers had the one of the better 3pt percentages around the league. Offense wasn't the problem, defense and rebounding was
    Sure seemed like shooting and spacing were problems at times. Considering we are most likely going to lose CJ, I'd think our need for shooters gets even bigger.

For the record, I think this board is making way, way too big of a deal about rebounding. You could correct a lot of those issues with the proper defensive scheme and the natural progression of Myles' game.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: