Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 65 of 65

Thread: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for Artes

  1. #51
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will stand in Peck's corner on this one. This scenario seems very, very odd to me. A New York paper . . . interview Croshere of all people. Something fishy here. If I was a writer from the Times, Croshere is the last person I would approach to get a quote on the situation. I mean, he's not high profile enough so who cares?

    If, indeed, true I have no problem with what he said although it would seem very out of character. Austin absolutely represents ONE GOAL more than any one player and I believe quotes of this nature would violate his own sense of "what's good for the team" without some outside influence.

    I have questions about this.
    You honestly believe Donnie Walsh sat down with Austin and asked him to go to the media on behalf of the Pacers and make a statement to the press that would be representative of how the team feels about Ron? I can't even imagine that conversation it's so preposterous.

  2. #52
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You honestly believe Donnie Walsh sat down with Austin and asked him to go to the media on behalf of the Pacers and make a statement to the press that would be representative of how the team feels about Ron? I can't even imagine that conversation it's so preposterous.
    I don't necessarily believe Walsh sat down with Austin. But I do think something happened. I don't believe for a second Austin would express these opinions, if for no other reason than his respect for Walsh and Bird if something wasn't up.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  3. #53
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You honestly believe Donnie Walsh sat down with Austin and asked him to go to the media on behalf of the Pacers and make a statement to the press that would be representative of how the team feels about Ron? I can't even imagine that conversation it's so preposterous.
    I agree with that.

    Putting on MY conspiracy hat for a minute, what possible purpose could there be behind Austin saying anything but "We love him and support him 100%" to the media? Assuming we want to trade him (I don't believe it, but hey), why would we want to say something that could drive his value down?

    This doesn't have anything to do with the front office. Peck, you're paranoid.

    EDIT: Great gravy, Peck, look what you made me go and do. I just agreed with Harmonica!

    EDIT: And I'm still waiting for somebody to disagree with the point I made on Page 1.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. #54
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,205
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [/b]

    This is, I think, the heart of what Croshere feels about Ron. I think it's absolutely fair, and some may say it's generous. But let me point out what it doesn't say. It doesn't say Croshere thinks Ron should be traded. It doesn't say anybody on the team does. It does say they want him to do really really well to balance all the things he screwed up (and he's done more than his share). If the guys on the team didn't want to play with Ron, it seems like we'd be hearing "Ron's made a lot of mistakes, and frankly guys are sick of dealing with them."

    Ron can't atone for his mistakes by playing on another team.
    I'd be happy to take issue with this Anthem. Well, some anyway. I DO think w can read it as Cro saying that he (they) are sick of it and would prefer not to deal with his actions again. Now, is that by trade or by corrective behavior modifications, I dunno. But I read it to mean they were tired of him. The fact that he turned it off and didn't listen would indicate they've heard it before..been there, done that...don't wanna do it again.

    OTOH....I donot see any conspiracy or anything like that here. It is a snippet from an interview. Two maybe three lines lifted from a conversation. When he said the words he may have thought they were innocent enough and buried deep wthin a conversation. Or perhaps he felt that since it was a NY interview..what the heck would it hurt (the name Vanderjagt ring a bell??).
    I once sat with a reporter for about 15 min. from that interview three lines were attributed to me. Of the three lines, two actually came from somebody else and changed the whole tenor of my conversation. But they were still mistakenly attributed to me. Another time a friend was interviewed by TV-8 News. THey didn't like her response to a specific question so they asked the question in different ways several more times until they got the response they could use. That story led off with..."Indianapolis residents are upset with..." when in fact she supported what the story alluded to.
    With the press, you never know.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  5. #55
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me, it's quite obvious the NBA doesn't give a **** about its fans. If they gave a **** about the fans, the games wouldn't start at 6:00, did anyone else notice how empty the place was at the start of the game? I had to bust *** just to get there on time. And if they cared about the fans, 45 dollars would get you more than a Section 225 seat.


    AS far as the time of the game. I disagree with you. The other game last night was at Dallas. Dallas is on the same time as we are. So unless you want the games played at the same time (which would hurt the fans who want to watch both) what time do you propose they start the game here in Indy.

    7:00 PM, and then what start the game in Dallas at about 9:45.

    Next season their won't be any 6:00 PM games (assuming daylight savings time puts us on eastern time)

  6. #56
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,205
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AS far as the time of the game. I disagree with you. The other game last night was at Dallas. Dallas is on the same time as we are. So unless you want the games played at the same time (which would hurt the fans who want to watch both) what time do you propose they start the game here in Indy.

    7:00 PM, and then what start the game in Dallas at about 9:45.

    Next season their won't be any 6:00 PM games (assuming daylight savings time puts us on eastern time)

    Nah, I'm hopin' for Chicago time just to frustrate Mitch and the others. (but that's for another thread)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  7. #57

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AS far as the time of the game. I disagree with you. The other game last night was at Dallas. Dallas is on the same time as we are. So unless you want the games played at the same time (which would hurt the fans who want to watch both) what time do you propose they start the game here in Indy.

    7:00 PM, and then what start the game in Dallas at about 9:45.

    Next season their won't be any 6:00 PM games (assuming daylight savings time puts us on eastern time)
    Give me a break. You and I both know that the NBA doesn't want to put the games on at the same time, not for fans who want to see both...but for the almighty dollar. They are wanting to get ratings for both games. If that was the case, during the season games wouldn't be going on at the same time, so people with League Pass could catch all the games.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

  8. #58
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give me a break. You and I both know that the NBA doesn't want to put the games on at the same time, not for fans who want to see both...but for the almighty dollar. They are wanting to get ratings for both games. If that was the case, during the season games wouldn't be going on at the same time, so people with League Pass could catch all the games.
    A business that actually wants to make money

    Would you rather have our game start at 9:30? I wouldn't. Would you rather them only have on one game a night? I wouldn't.

  9. #59

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for Artes

    No. I would rather have the game start at 7:00. I don't care about the other games.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

  10. #60
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. I would rather have the game start at 7:00. I don't care about the other games.
    And next year it will, because Indy will be on a time schedule that jives with the rest of America.

    I'd rather see it go the other way, but whatever.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #61
    Tim
    Guest

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me, it's quite obvious the NBA doesn't give a **** about its fans. If they gave a **** about the fans, the games wouldn't start at 6:00, did anyone else notice how empty the place was at the start of the game? I had to bust *** just to get there on time. And if they cared about the fans, 45 dollars would get you more than a Section 225 seat.
    The NBA cares about the fans but they are a business. The networks are paying a great deal of money to carry the NBA, they do get a say in broadcast time/game starts.

    The NBA/networks really need to bump the time back though, I think most people who watch the games on TV will stay up that extra hour to catch the west coast game on TV.

  12. #62
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,689

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, this thread is way to funny.

    I get back from a vacation, and sure enough I see a Artest thread.

    and I still dont see why any of you bother arguing with Able. He is Ron Artest's personal lawyer/player agent. Its a waste of time to argue with him.
    You were better of on vacation, you come back the Pacers lose and you start making stupid remarks.

    Make sure the brain's activated before you do anything form here on in.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  13. #63
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for A

    Both of you just made very dumb comments. Those posts are NOT what PD is about.

  14. #64
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,689

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for Artes

    Not only do you misquote me, nor do you do justice to your reading comprehension as well as your argumentative prowess.

    As for the remainder of your post; I don't use admin powers here, so don't worry, others however do, that might make it more worrysome.

    Your comments are simply out of line
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  15. #65
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: VERY Interesting NYTIMES story about the Pacers and Austin's harsh feelings for Artes

    Cooler heads have to prevail here.

    va, check your PMs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •