Thread: Why doesn't Jackson get FTs?

Default Why doesn't Jackson get FTs?

I can think of at least 3 plays tonight where Jackson made great attacks at the basket, and sometimes he made the shot, sometimes he didn't, but I swear every time he probably should have been earning a whistle. He's doing a terrific job of it, but the refs don't give him ****. Those same types of drives get Billups, Hamilton, even other Pacers to the line, but not Jackson. Why the hell not?

Default Re: Why doesn't Jackson get FTs?

While we're talking about Stephen, why can he not make the simple, easy lay-ups as well as the simple, easy passes?

I agree, he gets jobbed on a lot of calls around the hoop.

However, he has a funky way of finishing around the rim, like he is almost out of control, with arms swinging. Maybe this doesn't 'sell it' as well for the refs.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

He gets no calls, he got fouled all 3 times he made this layups with like 3 players around him. No wonder the man is always complaining to the refs , HE GETS ABSOLUTLEY NO CALLS

It seems almost like the refs try to test him to see if he'll blow up......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

everytime he was whining, he had a real beef. He was hacked on the arms everytime he took it inside, with no calls. Someone show larry brown that footage and then lets hear back from him...

Yes, he does not seem to "get the call"

I think Jax is now the player with the most steals in the NBA playoffs.
    His defense has been excellent

I'd like to formally salute him for not getting T'd up. After the 2nd "stare-down" I was sure he was gonna blow up but he kept it under wraps.

Oustanding defense on Prince from him - and Reggie was pretty solid too though Rip missed a few and was held while cutting more than once.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think part of it is b/c he does get to the basket in a very out of control fashion. Don't get me wrong... I like the fact that he is creative at getting to the rim. Unfotunately, he probably looks like he is crashing into people as much as it looks like he is being fouled.

The other part comes down to the whining. He whines so much that I don't think they give him the benefit of the doubt some times. Jax and Reggie both need to worry about getting the ball in the bucket whether or not the refs blow the whistle. The foul is gravy.

The other piece in this series is that the refs respect Ben and Sheed. If you are known as a "defensive player" in the league, you get some respect in the paint. It works in our favor (see Dale Davis vs. James Jones,) but it works against us driving on Detriot.

Actually, it hasn't meant squat for Dale Davis. I've never seen him get such touch fouls called on him in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, it hasn't meant squat for Dale Davis. I've never seen him get such touch fouls called on him in the post.
    You are right in this series thus far, but in general... they let Dale get away with more. He is just being trumped in star power vs. Big Ben in this series.

It's too bad Stephen didn't learn from his old pal Ginobili how to attack the rim in a wild fashion, and still sell the foul.

Of course, not many can do that as well as Manu.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks

I agree about Dale getting cheap fouls called on him, that too when Ben is on offense (with Ben's great foot work and everything, f$$k that). I am frankly annoyed at what they are calling on Dale.

But on the SJax issue, he did get fouled once on those drives but I think that was pretty good defense. In fact I give SJax credit for finishing those three layups.

I was pissed when SJax went for the dunk and missed instead of the easy layup but I was impressed with his defense on TPrince.

SJax on TPrince is a matchup we need to go more to because SJax can easily take Prince of the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    Jax and Reggie both need to worry about getting the ball in the bucket whether or not the refs blow the whistle. The foul is gravy.
    I agree completely. I would include JO as well. They look at the ref whenever they thought a foul should have been called instead of getting back on D. Those guys should approach the game with the mentality of "when I go to the hole, there's no such thing as a defensive foul" and just try to get two. If a foul is called, it is a bonus.

I agree he isn't getting the calls. But others are right, JO and SJax stare down the ref EVERY time. They will never get calls until that stops.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

3ptmiller

Some contact is allowed when u shoot the ball, as long as you aint hit by the defender.. it aint no foul, even tho the reffs sometimes call the foul or dont call the foul even tho it was not foul or was a foul... its all up to reffs.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    I was pissed when SJax went for the dunk and missed instead of the easy layup but I was impressed with his defense on TPrince.
    I'm a little confused (nothing new, I now). When are you supposed to dunk and when are you supposed to shoot a layup? Last year Reggie tried a lay up and this year Stephen tried a dunk. Neither one worked.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I'm a little confused (nothing new, I now). When are you supposed to dunk and when are you supposed to shoot a layup? Last year Reggie tried a lay up and this year Stephen tried a dunk. Neither one worked.
    I didn't even see that - the guy in front of me jumped up just as he elevated and next thing I know the ball's going back the other way.

I was in a "what just happened?" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    I didn't even see that - the guy in front of me jumped up just as he elevated and next thing I know the ball's going back the other way.

I was in a "what just happened?" moment.
    Well, it is true that Jackson had an opportunity to dunk the basketball. Basically he tried to get a little too fancy with it, and he missed it. It led to an easy score by the Pistons. I think RIP was able to get an easy bucket on a fast break attempt. Basically it resulted in a four point swing going the other way. It was one of the key plays that started giving the Pistons some more momentum during the game.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jackson reminded me a LOT of artest in game 3. Prince was playing him straight up, and Jackson was doing the EXACT SAME THING Artest did, which was try to throw his body at Prince and draw a foul call. Artest didn't get that call, and neither will jackson. Prince is just standing straight with his hands in the air. He can plow into prince all he wants, he's not going to get free throws.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Jackson reminded me a LOT of artest in game 3. Prince was playing him straight up, and Jackson was doing the EXACT SAME THING Artest did, which was try to throw his body at Prince and draw a foul call. Artest didn't get that call, and neither will jackson. Prince is just standing straight with his hands in the air. He can plow into prince all he wants, he's not going to get free throws.
    No, we're talking about the times Jax blows by Prince and gets slapped around by Deux Wallace on the way to the hole.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

He should have had at least 2, probably 3 calls in the second half last night. They weren't hammer calls but he definitely got knocked around going to the basket.

But there were bad calls all around last night - I just thought those refs were consistently poor. I noticed them a LOT last night. By notice, I mean when a whistle blows and my head pops up and I say, "What the fukk?"

I'm much more tolerant of no-calls than of phantom whistles - if you can't figure it out, don't call it. There were some of each though.