Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will we start to see something of a "Pucker Effect?"

Default Will we start to see something of a "Pucker Effect?"

For those who don't know what that means, hopefully it'll become clear.

This is the first time Detroit's been tested since last years EC semi's - the first time they've been down in a series. I was really surprised by the lack of passion on their part this game. Even when they came back in the 4th I didn't get a sense that they were throwing much extra into the game - it was more a case of Indy easing up (and not putting the game away in the 3rd).

So now they're facing what IMO amounts to a must-win in Game 4. We've seen how the Pacers respond in that situation - it'll be interesting to see how Detroit does. I could see them coming out with an early rush - but for some reason I get the feeling that they might not do so well if the Pacers take the body shots they throw and are still standing.

This Detroit team just does not have the same feel - at all - as last year's. I can't put my finger on it but I just don't sense the effort, concentration - the will they had last year. And it doesn't hurt that right now the Pacers are a better team than they were in last year's ECF.

I was just wondering about that on the drive home - it isn't something I'd have thought about Detroit last year - I thought that team would scratch and claw and dig for everything. (Hope no players read this) Guess we'll find out.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Will we start to see something of a "Pucker Effect?"

THE PACERS WILL WIN GAME 4!!!

THE PACERS WILL WIN GAME 4!!!

I can't say it more emphatically than that. I've watched nearly every Piston's game this season, and I feel very strongly about this.

This year's Piston team is so god damned arrogant it makes me sick. They're like the Lakers. The more I think about it, the more I truly believe it, although no one here will give me any credit, because of previous posts.

I really don't think the Pistons truly respect the Pacers. It's not just the Pacers, though, it's every team. They think they're better, and they play like they can walk on the floor and the other team will lie down. I'll be really surprised if the Pistons come out with a lot of intensity and focus towards execution in Game 4. They think they can walk on the floor and win. It's disgusting, especially when you see a team like the Pacers, who have overcome every obstacle in the book, go out and kick your team's *** two games in a row simply because they wanted it more.

Pistons will scratch and claw on Sunday. Pacers will have to play much better to have a chance to win game #4

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pistons will scratch and claw on Sunday. Pacers will have to play much better to have a chance to win game #4
    Read my post, UB. I just disagree. Maybe I'll feel differently after I've slept on it. We'll see.

Yeah, there'll be a pucker effect. Rasheed kissing our collective Pacers'

canyoufeelit

You're waaaay too much of a pessimist shags. I think - and yes it's a possiblity - that the Pacers will have to play out of their minds to win this next game. And if it goes back to Det 2-2, it's a 3 game series with the Pistons having HCA. That's why game 4 is more of a must win for Indiana than it is for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    You're waaaay too much of a pessimist shags. I think - and yes it's a possiblity - that the Pacers will have to play out of their minds to win this next game. And if it goes back to Det 2-2, it's a 3 game series with the Pistons having HCA. That's why game 4 is more of a must win for Indiana than it is for Detroit.
    And that's why I think they'll win.

But I could see the Pistons winning the series if they were down 3-1. They're capable of playing 48 minutes at the level they played in the 4th quarter. I'm just pessimistic, I guess, that the Pistons will bring that type of effort and execution to Game 4. They should have brought it to Game 3, just as much as Game 4.

Who knows, though? Maybe Rasheed's guarantee will focus them.

I'm scared to death about Sunday. Just very nervous

Mood

So am I.

Although it is nice to see every Pacer fans on this board EXPECTING to win the series now. If UncleBuck has come around, you know pretty much every one here has.

That's pretty much where I was at in the NBA Finals last season after 3 games.

I'm confident about Sunday. They aren't going to let yet another opprotunity slip through their fingers, not after nearly doing so today, not after blowing games 4 and 6 with Boston.

But you want know why else I am confident?

Dale Davis. This guy is NOT going to have another bad game. I have no doubt about it, he will return to Savior-Dale form, for at least one game. He is too proud not to.

Edit - Let me clear that up. Dale probably played about average tonight, but was in foul trouble yet again. I think he will be allowed to play his game Sunday, and is going to be releasing a lot of pent-up frustration.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Lets not forget Jermaine was horrible tonight. That's not likely to repeat itself either.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Lets not forget Jermaine was horrible tonight. That's not likely to repeat itself either.
    Yes, but not something I'm willing to take to the bank. A lot of his offensive game is the jumpshot, and is inherently less reliable.

However, I thought Jermaine was very good today on defense.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    Although it is nice to see every Pacer fans on this board EXPECTING to win the series now. If UncleBuck has come around, you know pretty much every one here has.

That's pretty much where I was at in the NBA Finals last season after 3 games.
    What the hell are you talking about?? Read UB and I's last posts in this thread, or my thread about finishing teams off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    What the hell are you talking about?? Read UB and I's last posts in this thread, or my thread about finishing teams off.
    Why are you nervous or scared about then? It doesn't make sense.

Hasn't it already been a successful season, everything considered, for the Pacers at this point? Sure as a fan you want to win, and definitely moreso considering you're playing the Pistons.

To me, those two posts tell me that there's a change in feelings. I guess we're just different. Pistons were huge underdogs last year in the Finals, and I wasn't nervous about one game. Everything they did was icing on the cake.

Pacers are up 2-1 against a team they were supposed to have no chance against, a team that's the defending world champions. If the Pacers lose the next 3 games, is this season a failure?

If I were a Pacer fan, I wouldn't think so. The tone of some of these posts suggests that attitudes have changed.

Mood

If I want the Pacers to win against a good team, I'm nervous.

I just get more nervous with a lead. When I watch a game I'm much more uptight, nervous when the pacers have an 8-10 point lead than when they trail by 8-10 points. Same thing in a series. I find it difficult to believe the Pacers are going to beat the Pistons 3 straight. I know the Pistons will play a very good game Sunday, their best game of this series, better than game #1. If the Pacers don't play their best game of this series they will lose by 10 points

shags - Here's the interesting thing. I haven't been able to bring anyone over to my way of thinking yet but I've been trying since after Game 3 of the 1st rd.

I think, as of this moment, the Pacers are a better team than the one Detroit beat in last year's ECF - and I don't think the Pistons are as good. Never mind them though - I'll explain what I mean about the Pacers.

In last year's ECF I thought the Pacers and Pistons were almost perfectly matched except for one thing - the Pistons had been deep in the playoffs before and knew what it took while the Pacers hadn't been past the 1st rd for a while.

The Pacers have been there now. And if there's one thing you have to give them, after everything they've been through, that team is mentally tough. I can't conceive of a situation where they turn on each other. That's the thing that was missing last year. They have it now.

But there's more. Right now JO and Tinsley are healthier than they were in last year's ECF. They've added Jackson who has a ring from when he was a starter on the Spurs. Artest wasn't a huge factor in last year's series - in some ways he hurt Indy with his shooting, mental breakdowns and the fact that he didn't match up defensively real well with any Pistons. And Jeff Foster is playing like he's NEVER played at the end of a season.

Then you look at the deep reserves who had to play key minutes. Freddie Jones was gonna be buried as the 3rd guard behind Reggie and Jax. James Jones would never have seen the light of day. And though he's not a deep reserve, Reggie's re-asserted himself in the offense. Heck, would Tinsley have had a 20-game stretch where he played like an all-star if this hadn't happened?

I balance all that against Artest not being around and I see a better Pacer team - and a Pistons team that has such a short bench that they have a lineup with Rip, Billups and Hunter on the floor together for extended, critical periods of the game.

So while I predicted the Pistons would win this series, the Pacers winning wouldn't have shocked me. And it would shock me even less now that I saw the Pistons play in person. Some essential passion's missing in them. I don't know what it is, but they aren't the team I saw last year - not even during the 4th when they came back.

Maybe they'll re-discover it now. If they do, they still have a very good shot at winning the series. But if they don't find it by Sunday I don't think they will - no matter what their passion, I don't see them sweeping the last 3 games.

I agree 100% with your comments DK.

I'd mentioned in some previous post about JO & Tinsley being healthy when they were not last season.

As well as the upgrade in our outside shooting.

I picked the Pacers in 6 & I think I'll stick with it.

They win Sunday & the national media will be all over themselves talking about us.

I have a constant chill down my spine just thingking about that fourth game. We have a golden opportunity here, hope we don't blow it.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Relax folks...we are in a PERFECT position. If we win Sunday we're up 3-1 and going to Detroit. If we lose....we're tied 2-2 and going to Detroit. If it goes 7 we'll have 2 more in Detroit. What is our road playoff record this year?? What is our record in Detroit this year?

relax...we got em right where we want em.

Jim Beam would help though
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Relax folks...we are in a PERFECT position. If we win Sunday we're up 3-1 and going to Detroit. If we lose....we're tied 2-2 and going to Detroit. If it goes 7 we'll have 2 more in Detroit. What is our road playoff record this year?? What is our record in Detroit this year?

relax...we got em right where we want em.

Jim Beam would help though
    Dang Geezer - I hope you're either:

A) Vacationing in Sri Lanka right now or
    B) a 22-year-old masquerading as an old fart

Jim Beam right now would destroy me.

Though it does raise a question - does Jim Beam go better with corn flakes or raisin bran?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Dang Geezer - I hope you're either:

A) Vacationing in Sri Lanka right now or
    B) a 22-year-old masquerading as an old fart

Jim Beam right now would destroy me.

Though it does raise a question - does Jim Beam go better with corn flakes or raisin bran?

I go with the Raisin bran, that way I can explain the "Healthful benefits" to Mrs. G.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I also agree with you DK. I'm a higher up in the brigade.

Game 4 will be a B!TCH - especially the first quarter.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.