Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fans finally appreciate Foster

Default Fans finally appreciate Foster

Tonight was the first time since Jeff has been a Pacer that I felt the fans really, really appreciated Jeff Foster. Yes fans have liked his hustle in the past but now things have changed. Tonight he got a huge ovation when he first came into the game and then every play he made the crowd went crazy. There is a love for the way he plays and the results he comes up with now that there wasn't until tonight..

Funny story: If you remember Jeff was intentionally fouled with about 35 seconds to go in the game. Reggie was none too happy because it looked like Jeff could have thrown the ball to Reg (although I don't think the Pistons would have fouled Reggie), but nonetheless, Reggie was talking to Jeff right after the foul and Reg was a little upset, Jeff said "don't worry I'll make them", Reggie turned away and said "You better". And he did and Jeff looked a little relieved.

Maybe my judgement and memory is a little clouded right now, but it seems to me that Jeff shoots free throws pretty well in clutch situations, I'd love to see what his % is late in close games, I bet it's pretty good the past two seasons.

In many ways Jeff's performance tonight was more impressive than in game #2. Because the Pistons were really keying on him, I watched closely and Ben or Sheed put a body on him, and yet Jeff still was able to get a lot of rebounds. Jeff must be a little stronger than we think.

I am just so happy that the fans finally really appreciate Jeff, I think it's long overdue.

Default Re: Fans finally appreciate Foster

I almost lost it when Bill Walton said

"The fans are chanting Foster...and they don't want beer!"

Jeff has to keep playing like this for us to win the series...his offensive rebounds really help us control the tempo.

There was even a brief "Foster, Foster" chant.....Can't say I've heard that one before....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Jeff was great tonight - the win was more his, Tinsley's and Freddie's than anyone else's. The only bad plays I thought he made at all were once when he threw up a weak off-balance board in the 1st half and I got real worried when he was hedging on the pick-and-roll in the 2nd half and leaving 'Sheed open.

He really came through.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

sweabs

I don't know if he is stronger than we think per-se. However, I do think he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and also seems to be good at weaving in and out between players to get to the ball.

I've been watching this series with 3 other guys (2 I have converted to Pacer fans, and 1 life-long Pistons fan). Those 2 guys that now seem to be Pacer fans are in love with Foster. He is just working his butt off out there, and his remarkable save/rebound in the first half was nothing short of just that...remarkable.

On a side note, I had never seen his father before. He just doesn't strike me as "the athletic type", but I loved the story about paying Jeff for rebounds. I was the same way, my Dad would give me little incentives in soccer for going out and doing hustle-plays. I guess that is why guys like Foster and Ron appeal to me; I just love to see hustle, determination, and shear effort.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was even a brief "Foster, Foster" chant.....Can't say I've heard that one before....
    It's a rare one. I participated in the last one that I know of: Game 5, last year's semifinals against Miami.

I agree that Jeff, Tinsley and Fredie were the key players tonight. If you look at the shooting % for Jax, Reggie and J.O it is a miracle that the Pacers won

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I agree that Jeff, Tinsley and Fredie were the key players tonight. If you look at the shooting % for Jax, Reggie and J.O it is a miracle that the Pacers won
    I've got a ton of comments once we get something more in-depth going but IMO Freddie and Tinsley need to go into the lane incessantly - especially Freddie. They couldn't do anything with him and it looked to me like Jamal could take Billups off the dribble nearly as much. I liked how Jax went to the hoop too though I was sure he was gonna graduate from his glares after no-calls to a T. Sort of amazed it didn't happen.

Sports Logo

I got really worried when we went back to the stand arround and watch offense but they pulled it out. It is amazing that we can win with our main 3 scorers shooting so poorly. Clearly Jeff was a huge part of that.

I am really happy to see Jeff starting to get the recognition that he clearly deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    It's a rare one. I participated in the last one that I know of: Game 5, last year's semifinals against Miami.
    I was at Disney World for that one, so I missed it.

Hopefully he earns another one Sunday......

YO Kegboy, I got my first experience of those fans that you hate...

I had one guy around me that just kept getting pissed if there was a TO or a missed shot. Damn, it's annoying.

When Foster came in, I was screamin my wittle guts out. He deserved it. Everyone knew how big of an impact he had at Game 2. The guy is nochalaunt (sp?) too. It's when he gets a rebound...ehhh it's nothing. I like that. KEEP IT UP FOSTER!

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    I liked how Jax went to the hoop too though I was sure he was gonna graduate from his glares after no-calls to a T. Sort of amazed it didn't happen.
    What does that guy gotta do to get a call going to the hoop?

I think after last year and game one, fans are just excited to see SOMEONE that doesn't look like they are scared to death of mean ole Ben.

It's going to be interesting who starts at center next year...or even next game.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    What does that guy gotta do to get a call going to the hoop?
    Well - the refs sucked tonight IMO. Especially in the 4th. They called some phantom fouls, I agree Jax should have had at least 2 "and-one's", Rip was getting held like a madman when he was cutting, Ben Wallace could go over anyone's back whenever they want - and just for kicks every now and then they'd throw in the old "mystery foul."

You know what I mean - the "What the heck are you calling THAT for?" AJ's offensive foul was one - 30 feet from the basket and totally meaningless - and they called Rip once for a real light touch on Reggie's waist. At one point Reggie and Joe Forte had a LONG conversation.

I can't say who the officiating favored - it's just that I noticed the refs a lot more than I do in games I consider well-called.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nah... Foster is proving to be the optimal 'first big guy off the bench'. That's a role that we can all agree suits him well.

He keeps this up and I'll have to eat a lot of words.

But I also think this is the healthiest he's been all season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Southside_Pacer

The play where Jeff saved the ball, kicked it out to Reggie who was along the baseline, who then threw it back in to Tinsley? was simply one of the best hussle plays I've ever seen in the course of a ballgame.

Jeff's not afraid to get in the paint, and do the dirty work inside. I love watching it.

Harmonica

And some people in the media are saying the reason the Pistons lost was because they played so poorly. Look at our stats!

Southside_Pacer

I can't say who the officiating favored - it's just that I noticed the refs a lot more than I do in games I consider well-called.
    I didn't think the officiating was all that great, but it is what it is.

I agree, a game usually has been called well when no team really is talking about it after a game.

Another great thing about tonight. Very few Pistons fans at the game. very, very few. In fact I did not see a one

I had 4 right behind me, and they were pretty cool. It was soo ready for some loud/rude Piston fans tonight. I enjoyed the ones behind me. They talked smack, but kept it cool.

Harmonica

Well - the refs sucked tonight IMO. Especially in the 4th. They called some phantom fouls, I agree Jax should have had at least 2 "and-one's", Rip was getting held like a madman when he was cutting, Ben Wallace could go over anyone's back whenever they want - and just for kicks every now and then they'd throw in the old "mystery foul."
    I noticed that a lot in last year's ECFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    And some people in the media are saying the reason the Pistons lost was because they played so poorly. Look at our stats!
    This is true. I may have been disgusted with what I saw in the 4th, but it's hardly like we were playing like olympians up until then. JO and Jack especially had HORRIBLE offensive games, but we found a way. I think a big key to Sunday is if Jackson gets into a hot streak.

Southside_Pacer

Another great thing about tonight. Very few Pistons fans at the game. very, very few. In fact I did not see a one
    I saw some, but they were very few and far between. The ones that were there did not say much however.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This is true. I may have been disgusted with what I saw in the 4th, but it's hardly like we were playing like olympians up until then. JO and Jack especially had HORRIBLE offensive games, but we found a way. I think a big key to Sunday is if Jackson gets into a hot streak.
    The Pacers, IMO, played even worse in the 3rd - they were REALLY bad. But Detroit matched them. If they'd come out the 2nd half and played like they had the first there'd be no comeback to talk about - the game would've been over by the end of the 3rd.

Also didn't like Carlisle's substitution with 1:08 left in the half. I couldn't figure it out - you're on a roll, up 18, and you make a sub so they can score the last 4 pts of the half. That's about the only Rick complaint I have - kept hoping for Tinsley to come back but he knows how many minutes he can be effective better than I do - plus he may have figured that with the game under control, Jamal could put in maybe 25 minutes and be fresh for Sunday.