Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stern Greeted With Boos in Indiana

Default Re: Stern Greeted With Boos in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... and then he continues to ramble on about what he's done, not is doing, to improve on his own accord.

Not convincing to me.

He says "I am not recieving counseling." Next, he talks about everything he has done to improve himself.

I think his intent was clear, he wasn't about to admit to any counseling.

Edit- Let's examine-

Ron jumps from present to past within these sentences, the first being present, and relating to counseling, and the last two being past, and relating to how he improves himself.

You might have an arguement, if it weren't for the sentence in the middle:

"At the same time, I'm improving myself."

This sentence places his counseling at the same time of said improvement, connecting the two. Considering he continues to talk about his improvement in the past tense, I think it's safe to say that his intent was that he never has counseling.

Ron wasn't playing some word game with us, but if you really want to think he is sly enough, let alone articulate enough, to pull that off, go right ahead.
    So while saying he's not articulate enough to deceive you are saying simultaneously that he is lying.

There's a word for that, ok well an expression, called Contradictio in Terminae

He says he IS not receiving counseling, then he explains what his experience and ideas were over the past period, nowhere does he deny having received counseling, nor does he try to lead you astray by what he says.

Why trying to find something he's not articulate enough for to do in the first place, according to you.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I think his intent was clear, he wasn't about to admit to any counseling.

Ron wasn't playing some word game with us, but if you really want to think he is sly enough, let alone articulate enough, to pull that off, go right ahead.
    I'm not sure where you're going with this. I agree that he didn't want to admit to counseling, but I don't have a problem with that. We've explained why he might want that personally or why it might be beneficial from a legal aspect.

What's the alternative? What, exactly, do you think is going on? We've heard from multiple sources (including Pacers brass, Ronnie's father, and Commish Stern) that Ron has undergone the counseling that he was required to, and Ron says "I'm not in counseling" so you think he's... what, exactly?

I can't figure out what point you're trying to prove. Able's explanation is plausible... he isn't currently in counseling. I don't find that hard to believe.

Durned rookies. Think they know everything.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I'm not sure where you're going with this. I agree that he didn't want to admit to counseling, but I don't have a problem with that. We've explained why he might want that personally or why it might be beneficial from a legal aspect.

What's the alternative? What, exactly, do you think is going on? We've heard from multiple sources (including Pacers brass, Ronnie's father, and Commish Stern) that Ron has undergone the counseling that he was required to, and Ron says "I'm not in counseling" so you think he's... what, exactly?

I can't figure out what point you're trying to prove. Able's explanation is plausible... he isn't currently in counseling. I don't find that hard to believe.

Durned rookies. Think they know everything.
    Okay. My post earlier wasn't very clear. Now that I look at it, I think I left out some critical sentences. Eh.

Let me try to make my point again, without all the murkiness:

There were several possibilites listed, earlier in this thread.

One option was something like "He didn't want to admit to counseling," which I believe.

Another (option number four, I believe) suggested that Ron had managed to truthfully answer the question, because of Mr. Gray's use of the present tense in asking the question. Assuming Ron is not currently in therapy, it would have been pretty easy for him to have done so, and escape this question without lying. He actually came very close, if only he would have stopped speaking after his first sentence.

Ron continued past his first sentence, however, and I think you must take that into account, also. It's pretty clear, from what he continued to say, that the message he was trying to communicate was something along the lines of "I am not involved in counseling, nor was I ever. But... since that go over well with my adoring fans, here's what I did to fix things, while I was busy not attending therapy..."

My point is, quite simply, that I don't see option number 4 as plausible, considering what Ron said. If he wanted to play that game, a simple "No, I'm not" would have done.

PS- This is all moot, though, if I am misinterpreting Able's orginal post. It was a bit vague and jumbly-like though... kind of like my sorry excuse for a post earlier.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I did not boo at all.
    Of course you didn't. Could you BE any more pious?

It's pretty clear, from what he continued to say, that the message he was trying to communicate was something along the lines of "I am not involved in counseling, nor was I ever. But... since that go over well with my adoring fans, here's what I did to fix things, while I was busy not attending therapy..."
    So, let me get this straight. You're saying that Ron would have lied if he'd been more eloquent, but because he's not a good speaker he managed to tell the truth entirely by accident?

You, my friend, are something else.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

So, let me get this straight. You're saying that Ron would have lied if he'd been more eloquent, but because he's not a good speaker he managed to tell the truth entirely by accident?

You, my friend, are something else.
    Um, no.

I'm saying he lied, and am debunking the option where he could have told the truth, yet in a deceptive manner.

How is ""I am not involved in counseling, nor was I ever" the truth? The article about Stern above says he has had counseling. All I am saying, is that is what Ron was telling us.

After reading that Stern said that Artest was being evaluated psychologically, or undergoing therapy, if Artest has not agreed to disclose it, doesn't that mean that Stern, by telling of his medical (mental) situation, is breaking the anti-medical disclosure laws and Artest can sue him and the NBA for lots and lots of money for talking about a medical (mental) treatment without his consent. Now, I am assuming that the NBA did not ask for permission but I would hope that after he get reinstated, that he sue the NBA for more than his lost salary? Maybe making a mountain out of a mole hill and he may not want to **** the little basturd off (Stern) but I would think he would have a case here. It's none of our business (though many here think it is) as to what medical treatment (mental) he is undergoing. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    After reading that Stern said that Artest was being evaluated psychologically, or undergoing therapy, if Artest has not agreed to disclose it, doesn't that mean that Stern, by telling of his medical (mental) situation, is breaking the anti-medical disclosure laws and Artest can sue him and the NBA for lots and lots of money for talking about a medical (mental) treatment without his consent. Now, I am assuming that the NBA did not ask for permission but I would hope that after he get reinstated, that he sue the NBA for more than his lost salary? Maybe making a mountain out of a mole hill and he may not want to **** the little basturd off (Stern) but I would think he would have a case here. It's none of our business (though many here think it is) as to what medical treatment (mental) he is undergoing. Period.
    Actually, after a second read-through, the psycho therapy bit isn't even Stern's words, it is out of quotations. I hope the writer didn't jump to this conclusion because of Stern saying league officials having been checking with Ron, but it looks like irresponsible journalism to me. Of course, that's nothing new.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    At halftime, I was tempted to try and start a "We Want Ron" chant, but I didn't.
    I'd consider that a full-on insult to the Pacers that are actually playing. As if you would be chanting "We want somebody else to play!" or "We don't appreciate you!"

I don't know, maybe I just mean to say that things can be interpreted different ways by different people there.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    I'd consider that a full-on insult to the Pacers that are actually playing. As if you would be chanting "We want somebody else to play!" or "We don't appreciate you!"

I don't know, maybe I just mean to say that things can be interpreted different ways by different people there.
    I took it that way also. I figured Keg was starting to climb up onto the Chicago bandwagon with Jay.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'm glad he got booed.

UB, why didn't you boo?

I'd consider that a full-on insult to the Pacers that are actually playing.
    That's why I'd do it at halftime when they're not out there. And because "**** you you pompous "One Zero" arrogant *** no good piece of ****" doesn't flow as well.

Plus, obviously Reggie wouldn't have a problem considering he begged Stern to let Ron back in on national radio last month. But, hey, if Rick had come out and lectured me that "This is (my) team", then that would be fine, too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

How is ""I am not involved in counseling, nor was I ever" the truth? The article about Stern above says he has had counseling. All I am saying, is that is what Ron was telling us.
    Except that he didn't ever say "Nor was I ever." You're attempting to show that's what he meant, and maybe he did. The point is, he never said "nor was I ever."

I stand by my original statement. You're saying that Ron would have lied if he'd been more eloquent, but because he's not a good speaker he managed to tell the truth entirely by accident.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Except that he didn't ever say "Nor was I ever." You're attempting to show that's what he meant, and maybe he did. The point is, he never said "nor was I ever."

I stand by my original statement. You're saying that Ron would have lied if he'd been more eloquent, but because he's not a good speaker he managed to tell the truth entirely by accident.
    Okay.

Stand by that statement all you want , but it isn't what I was saying, and it makes no sense.

-snip-

Eh. I typed out a further response, but it was nothing I hadn't alluded to already, except for the nice story about orange and grape soda at the end. That was fun.

Anyhow, I'm going to save us both some time here, and snip out my repetitive response, and my soda story. This topic already bores me, I can't imagine how much it is boring you.

-Soup
    Slurppp

woman without a team

I would imagine if the players back in the locker room could have heard a "We want Ron" chant they'd know we were only doing it because Stern was there.

Banned

A better chant would have been "Stern Sucks". That wouldn't have offended any of the Pacer players, and it probably wouldn't have offended many fans....other than Uncle Buck.

woman without a team

A few people in 227 did it, but considering I could barely tell what they were saying I'm sure no one on the playing floor would have understood it either.