Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stern Greeted With Boos in Indiana

Default Stern Greeted With Boos in Indiana

http://sports.excite.com/news/05132005/v0027.html

Stern Greeted With Boos in Indiana
    May 13, 9:06 PM (ET)

By MICHAEL MAROT
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - NBA commissioner David Stern wanted to talk about the future Friday. Indiana Pacers fans wouldn't let him forget the past.

Stern was greeted by a chorus of boos in his first trip to Indianapolis since the Nov. 19 brawl in Detroit and the resulting season-long suspension of Pacers forward Ron Artest.

Stern did his best to look ahead - saying before Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series between Detroit and Indiana that he expected Artest to play next season. The commissioner also expressed disappointment that a new collective bargaining agreement is not yet in place.

"Both sides know what's at stake, and we'll see what happens from here," Stern said. "Obviously, I would have liked to be able to report that we had a deal, but we don't. I'm disappointed that we don't."

The two sides are expected to meet again Tuesday.

Many of the questions for Stern were about Artest, who was suspended for the rest of the season after charging into the stands and fighting with fans in Detroit.

Clearly, there was concern about fan reaction to Stern's appearance.

Sitting three rows from the playing floor and near midcourt, Stern was surrounded by security guards. He was never introduced over the public address system, nor was he shown on the big-screen televisions inside Conseco Fieldhouse.

Still, fans made their thoughts known. When he walked across the court at halftime, there was chorus of boos. When he returned about 15 minutes later, the boos grew even louder.

"I'm sure the crescendo will build, but I assume it will just be about the officiating," Stern joked before the game.

Stern said he never seriously considered reducing Artest's suspension. Instead, he said league officials have met regularly with the league's 2004 defensive player of the year.

In fact, Stern said Artest appeared to be a "very gentle person" in his most recent televised interview.

Artest has now missed 83 games, including the playoffs, and has lost about $5 million in salary.

"I did have to officially say no," Stern said. "The report is, and I believe it firmly, that he is doing everything that we have asked him to do and he's going to be back with us next year."

Stern did appear to agree with Pacers fans on one thing - whether 39-year-old Reggie Miller should return for a 19th season in Indiana. Miller has announced he will retire at the end of the season, although Stern thinks Miller should reconsider.

"He's had a great year, and I'm going to miss him greatly," Stern said. "In addition to everything he does on the court, off the court he's been kind of a role model for other players with respect to the way he carries himself, the way he practices, the way he's professional about the game, and that's very important for this league."

Default Re: Stern Greeted With Boos in Indiana

Short, fat, Napoleonic basturd really had some balls coming here.

See, you really can trick those asteriks.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Default More from Stern.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/14/sp...partner=EXCITE

More from Stern.

N.B.A. Commissioner David Stern made his first playoff trip to Indiana this season, and he revisited the heavy suspensions he imposed for the Pacers-Pistons brawl, most notably Ron Artest's punishment. Stern said he ultimately turned down a request for reinstatement by the Pacers. "Along the way, I said I'd never say never, but I never gave it any serious consideration," Stern said before the game. "I did have to officially say no." By terms of the agreement to be reinstated for next season, Artest had to undergo league-supervised psychological counseling. "We have people on our staff that are meeting with him regularly and report back," Stern said. "And the report is - and I believe it firmly - that he's doing everything that we asked him to do and he'll be back next year. He'll be automatically reinstated."

The booing was great! I missed the first time - was getting beer - but caught the second one. Took me a second to figure out what it was about. Pretty funny.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I did not boo at all.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never saw him. People were talking about him around us. I didn't think he was there.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I booed each time. I got to CFH about an hour before the game started so I was down there watching JO and S-Jax shoot around. David Stern is sooo damn tiny. What is he? 5' 6?

A lot people booed him then too. I was pointing at him talkin about him to one of my friends and I am pretty sure he saw me. GOOD! Can't even let Artest attend the games? That's bullSH*T!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I put the binoculars on Stern at halftime. And after he finished his interview on WIBC, he went back to his seats to a half-hearted chorus of boos, Ronnie Nunn sat down next to him.

Then I got nervous. I kept watching for Nunn to send 'hand signals' to the officials. I tried to get MR's attention to take photographic evidence of 'the conspiracy theory'.

I also found Pete Vecsey with the binoculars. He was sitting with Mel Daniels in the northwest tunnel and surrounded by Pacemates.

I've also gotta say that I'm really disappointed in Dan Crawford tonight. He blew a lot of calls. But with Nunn and Stern in the house, he was probably nervous...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Stern will not be commisioner for too much longer. He is too way demonstrative......adios,via con huevos........jerk.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Sactolover05
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I booed each time.
    I booed when he walked over to be interviewed on the radio. I would have booed when he went back to his seat, but since I was in the rest room the other occupants might have thought I was weird.

Default Re: More from Stern.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    By terms of the agreement to be reinstated for next season, Artest had to undergo league-supervised psychological counseling.
    Interesting. So what does that say about the interview? He's going to counseling but said he's not. I only see two options:

1. He's embarrassed to be in counseling and doesn't want people to know.
    2. He's holding that information tight for legal reasons.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Stern will not be commisioner for too much longer. He is too way demonstrative......adios,via con huevos........jerk.
    I wish I could share your optimism.....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Interesting. So what does that say about the interview? He's going to counseling but said he's not. I only see two options:

1. He's embarrassed to be in counseling and doesn't want people to know.
    2. He's holding that information tight for legal reasons.
    3. He lied.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    3. He lied.
    4, all and none of the above.

He was asked if he was in counseling. i.e. PRESENT TENSE
    He HAD counseling i.e. past tense.

He Might still receive training of sorts or have evaluations, but neither constitutes counseling as such.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Well, 3 doesn't preclude 1 or 2, which are both motives for #3.

But I agree with able, and that's a good catch. It's by far the easiest solution. Occam strikes again!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

More from Stern.

Stern said he ultimately turned down a request for reinstatement by the Pacers. "Along the way, I said I'd never say never, but I never gave it any serious consideration," Stern said before the game. "I did have to officially say no." ]
    I think he waited so long on purpose to do this when he did. It was almost like he wanted to give hope when he really had no plan in doing so. That shows the kind of person he really is.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

More from Stern.

N.B.A. Commissioner David Stern made his first playoff trip to Indiana this season, and he revisited the heavy suspensions he imposed for the Pacers-Pistons brawl, most notably Ron Artest's punishment. Stern said he ultimately turned down a request for reinstatement by the Pacers. "Along the way, I said I'd never say never, but I never gave it any serious consideration," Stern said before the game. "I did have to officially say no." By terms of the agreement to be reinstated for next season, Artest had to undergo league-supervised psychological counseling. "We have people on our staff that are meeting with him regularly and report back," Stern said. "And the report is - and I believe it firmly - that he's doing everything that we asked him to do and he'll be back next year. He'll be automatically reinstated."
    AUTOMATICALLY REINSTATED??? Hmmm somebody carve those words in stone. They may be held in evidence if he doesn't live up to his words. I thought he had said in the past that ROn would have to apply and they would consider it before next season but that it wouldn't be automatic??

Hmm a little back-peddaling?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

woman without a team

All they have to do is say he didn't do what they said. It doesn't help that Ron said in the interview that he wasn't getting counseling.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    AUTOMATICALLY REINSTATED??? Hmmm somebody carve those words in stone. They may be held in evidence if he doesn't live up to his words. I thought he had said in the past that ROn would have to apply and they would consider it before next season but that it wouldn't be automatic??

Absolutely. He's looking for some "nice guy" karma. Not going to happen.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer

Might just be semantics. When I go to BMV to renew my license it's an automatic approval - but I still have to go there and fill out the form.

Ron probably still has to officially apply for reinstatement but it sounds like he's saying that's just a technicality.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by able
    4, all and none of the above.

He was asked if he was in counseling. i.e. PRESENT TENSE
    He HAD counseling i.e. past tense.

He Might still receive training of sorts or have evaluations, but neither constitutes counseling as such.
    Too bad he proceeded to respond in mostly past tense.

Artest: "I'm not receiving counseling. At the same time, I'm improving myself. I had a lot of time to think and reflect on my season. I had a lot of time to find ways to improve myself. If you think about it, when you are playing a profession season, more like the NBA season, I had about six months off. You never get that much time, especially if it's in a championship in June, you get two months off. You never get that time with your family. You never get that time to think about how you want your life to go. I had six months, you could say two NBA seasons if you want to get technical with it, to sort of improve myself and think about how I can get my life better. How can I make my life change for the positive? And I had that much time to think about it."
    Sure, it's possible, but he implies here that he never had counseling, and isn't now. Rather, he has spent his time improving from within.

He just didn't want to admit to it, and I don't fault him for it at all.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

At halftime, I was tempted to try and start a "We Want Ron" chant, but I didn't.

Yes, David Stern is that short. 5'6" might be a stretch. And, for the record he had 8 security guards on him, easily more than were in the entire Palace on November 19th.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Too bad he proceeded to respond in mostly past tense.
    What? Everything is in the past tense except for the statement about counseling, where he says he is not receiving counseling. With everything else in the past tense, it makes a pretty convincing argument for able.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    What? Everything is in the past tense except for the statement about counseling, where he says he is not receiving counseling. With everything else in the past tense, it makes a pretty convincing argument for able.

... and then he continues to ramble on about what he's done, not is doing, to improve on his own accord.

Not convincing to me.

He says "I am not recieving counseling." Next, he talks about everything he has done to improve himself.

I think his intent was clear, he wasn't about to admit to any counseling.

Edit- Let's examine-

I'm not receiving counseling. At the same time, I'm improving myself. I had a lot of time to think and reflect on my season. I had a lot of time to find ways to improve myself.
    Ron jumps from present to past within these sentences, the first being present, and relating to counseling, and the last two being past, and relating to how he improves himself.

You might have an arguement, if it weren't for the sentence in the middle:

"At the same time, I'm improving myself."

This sentence places his counseling at the same time of said improvement, connecting the two. Considering he continues to talk about his improvement in the past tense, I think it's safe to say that his intent was that he never has counseling.

Ron wasn't playing some word game with us, but if you really want to think he is sly enough, let alone articulate enough, to pull that off, go right ahead.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

3ptmiller

BOOOOO!!