Thread: Reggie Miller Has Absolutely Spoiled Us

Default Reggie Miller Has Absolutely Spoiled Us

While I was watching Reggie do some key things for us down the stretch of this game, it really hit me how much we are going to miss some of the things that he does. By now we probably take for granted his unbelievable free throw shooting. It is an unbelievable weapon when the game is on the line to have a guy who is virtually automatic from the charity stripe.

One of the other things, that obviously we all give him accolades for is his clutch shooting. What is funny, is that he probably misses alot more of those shots then we think, but he has made so many unbelievable clutch shots over the years, that those are the memories that are transcribed to our brains.

On both counts, he is such a calming influence for the other players, and for the fans. He absorbs so much of the pressure by asking to take the big time shots, and he lulls us by almost always meeting our unreal expectations that he should always hit his free throws. He actually missed one tonight, but oddly, you felt even more confident that he was going to make the next one.

I don't know if we will ever see another player like #31.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Question Re: Reggie Miller Has Absolutely Spoiled Us

Reggie has definitely done himself proud in the post-season. No, he hasn't put up 20 pts every night (though of course he was on fire for a couple of games in the Boston series), but he's been a player that still has to be considered dangerous, which is amazing given the point that he's at in his career.

BTW, brich, I don't mean to side-track your thread with this, but was it you or your brother brichard that SR and I met along with PacerTom and jfisher a couple of years ago at the SportsDepot to watch a Pacers/Celts game? I always forget which of you is which....
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

MistyRo76

Default Re: Reggie Miller Has Absolutely Spoiled Us

Great post.

Reggie will be missed. He was truly one of the great ones. Not only a great basketball player but a great human being and great icon for Indiana basketball.

Misty

Quote Originally Posted by BostonConnection
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie has definitely done himself proud in the post-season. No, he hasn't put up 20 pts every night (though of course he was on fire for a couple of games in the Boston series), but he's been a player that still has to be considered dangerous, which is amazing given the point that he's at in his career.

BTW, brich, I don't mean to side-track your thread with this, but was it you or your brother brichard that SR and I met along with PacerTom and jfisher a couple of years ago at the SportsDepot to watch a Pacers/Celts game? I always forget which of you is which....
    No problem...I have been meaning to PM you since I started posting on this board again a few months ago.

I was the one who met you with jfisher in Boston. Since then I have moved to New York (1 hour north of NYC near Poughkeepsie).

I still make it back to Boston on a regular basis to visit friends. If I am out that way, and if the Pacers are still playing (they better be! ) then perhaps our paths can cross again down the road.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree brich. Not to mention that no one else on the team gets that call at the end.

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by brich
    No problem...I have been meaning to PM you since I started posting on this board again a few months ago.

I was the one who met you with jfisher in Boston. Since then I have moved to New York (1 hour north of NYC near Poughkeepsie).

I still make it back to Boston on a regular basis to visit friends. If I am out that way, and if the Pacers are still playing (they better be! ) then perhaps our paths can cross again down the road.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. And I like your "Whatever happened to..." threads, I'm thinking of bumping your one on Twes when the season is finally over (hopefully not until sometime in June )

SR and I went to Game 2 of the Boston series at the FleetCenter and had a great time in the midst of stunned Celtics fans at game's end. It was great to watch Reggie put up such a huge game at the last time we'll likely see him play in person (How's that for getting your thread topic back on track?).
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

3ptmiller

Stop that

That last shot of his was classic. I feel honored to have seen him a few times. No way were they ever going to call anything on him there.

The formal name for my new dog is Reggie 43 - Reg for short.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by brich
    While I was watching Reggie do some key things for us down the stretch of this game, it really hit me how much we are going to miss some of the things that he does. By now we probably take for granted his unbelievable free throw shooting. It is an unbelievable weapon when the game is on the line to have a guy who is virtually automatic from the charity stripe.

One of the other things, that obviously we all give him accolades for is his clutch shooting. What is funny, is that he probably misses alot more of those shots then we think, but he has made so many unbelievable clutch shots over the years, that those are the memories that are transcribed to our brains.

On both counts, he is such a calming influence for the other players, and for the fans. He absorbs so much of the pressure by asking to take the big time shots, and he lulls us by almost always meeting our unreal expectations that he should always hit his free throws. He actually missed one tonight, but oddly, you felt even more confident that he was going to make the next one.

I don't know if we will ever see another player like #31.
    Man, post more often. Very nicely put.

To be honest, until he hit that last J I was hoping he wouldn't shoot any more - he missed several shots pretty bad earlier - I think the 3 when the Pacers were up 1 or 2 was the worst. But he sure knows how to get to the line when he needs to.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Great post brich.

One thing I'd like to add though. Yes his free throw % is a great and he is automatic. But when things are going bad offensively like in the 4th quarter his ability to draw fouls off the ball is what really sets him apart. There are times that he does not try to get open running around all those picks, but rather he tries to draw a foul

I agree 100% with the title of this thread.