Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krapitz: Trading Artest makes sense

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Krapitz: Trading Artest makes sense

And he also questions the timing of the interview.

"If only Ron Artest were here . . . Could you imagine this Detroit series with Ron Artest? . . . It sure would be different if Ron were playing."

Enough.

There are a number of reasons we need to shut up about Ron Artest, who is having as much influence on this Pistons-Pacers series as the Mohawks of John Edwards and David Harrison.

First, this is a series, even without Artest. The matchups page says it shouldn't be a series and common sense says it shouldn't be a series. But after Wednesday's victory in Auburn Hills, Mich., the Pacers can put the defending champs on the ropes tonight in Game 3 at Conseco Fieldhouse. Pistons coach Larry Brown is said to be so upset, he's ready to blame the Olympic selection committee. (Just kidding.)

Second, I'm not convinced Artest would have survived this season long enough to be a factor in the playoffs. If the meltdown hadn't happened Nov. 19, it was going to happen Dec. 22, or Jan. 18, or (pick your date). Remember, this season began with Artest's bizarre I-want-some-time-off request and the resulting suspension. Later came the Throwdown in Motown.

What was next?

With Artest, you never knew.

But you knew there would be a next time.

Third, I'm not convinced the Pacers would be making this run even if Artest were in the lineup. On paper, yes, Artest makes the Pacers a title contender. But his suspension changed the emotional dynamics of that locker room, leaving a team that became mentally stronger and more united than ever before. With Artest gone, Reggie Miller was allowed to reprise his 1994 role on a nightly basis, and a bunch of kids, most of them named Jones, got serious playing time and produced.

I bring up the Artest issue now because Artest is back in the news.

He recently was profiled by Gentlemen's Quarterly. Then, two days ago, ESPN ran its two-part interview with Artest. And that was just the beginning. Artest's new Nashville, Tenn.-based management team has him doing this Ron Across America Tour, in which Artest dresses nicely, smiles broadly and says mea culpas until he turns blue in the face.

As we've long known, Artest is an absolute master at expressing contrition.

Now, I don't take issue with Artest's desire to repair his image, although he'd help himself most by staying out of trouble for an entire year.

I take issue with the timing.

It's the playoffs. It's time to be concentrating on basketball. Specifically, it's time to be concentrating on Pacers basketball, and the best story in this year's NBA. The whole idea was to leave the brawl behind. But heeeeeere's Ronnie, smiling for those cameras, reshaping his image, doing everything but shilling for the Whizzinator.

Why?

And why now?

Why would his new management folks deem it to be in Artest's best interest to get him out there doing damage control? Is he suddenly going to grace the front of a Wheaties box? Will it help CD sales? What's the point?

As for the timing, well, if I were a member of the Pacers' organization, I would be appalled and angry.

Here's the guy who put his team's season in jeopardy and now, as his Pacers make this playoff run, he's out there selfishly trying to convince corporate America he's really a nice guy who's misunderstood.

All of this tells me something else: The idea of trading him, even if it means coming away with less than equal value, makes more sense than ever. We are seeing for ourselves that he is not indispensable. The Pacers won 44 regular-season games and have reached the second round of the playoffs. And they have done it despite losing 435 games worth of suspensions and injuries.

They may have lost scoring, rebounding and defense, but they gained something intangible and powerful, something that is helping them to achieve beyond all expectations.

Publicly, the players and management types all say they're supporting Artest and believe the year out of basketball will result in a transformation. Maybe it's all a ploy to convince potential trade suitors that he's centered and better than ever. More likely, though, they say it because they truly believe it.

Which makes me wonder which side is guilty of failing to think straight.

Think the 10th guy on the bench would be enjoying such patience and compassion? Do they really think he's going to go from hellion to St. Francis of Assisi?

I hope he found a certain sense of peace during these long days away from competitive basketball.

I hope he can come back, here or somewhere else, and show people he's a great basketball player and not a damaged soul who happens to be a great talent when he's right.

I honestly, fervently hope I'm wrong about his capacity for change, and that his fans are justified in their loud and often angry support.

Right now, though, I just don't need to see Artest on my TV, telling me he's going to return a changed man. Don't tell me. Show me. Show everybody.

In the meantime, there's one heck of a playoff series we need to be covering.

Bob Kravitz is a columnist for The Indianapolis Star. Call him at (317) 444-6643 or e-mail bob.kravitz@indystar.com.
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...505130521/1088

Default Re: Krapitz: Trading Artest makes sense

I question the timing of Bob's column, too.

Dollar to a doughnut this is his response to Artest's media relations people not catering to the locals.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kravitz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right now, though, I just don't need to see Artest on my TV, telling me he's going to return a changed man. Don't tell me. Show me. Show everybody.

In the meantime, there's one heck of a playoff series we need to be covering.
    The above is the only point I can take away from that article and to be honest... I agree with him.

Talk is cheap. I want Artest show us rather than tell us.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman

Dollar to a doughnut this is his response to Artest's media relations people not catering to the locals.
    That's what I was thinking. RATS doesn't like when they don't get what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    The above is the only point I can take away from that article and to be honest... I agree with him.

Yes and that is the exact same comment that Ron made in the interview.

teY dennaB toN

Artest is in a no-win situation. If he had stayed silent all through the season and playoffs, I have no doubt Kravitz would be writing a column chastising Ron for not making any public remarks and blah blah blah blah blah.

He's just looking to stir ***** up, per the usual.

I thought it was funny that he's writing this long article about Artest while the Pacers are playing Detroit complaining about too much media attention on Artest while the Pacers are playing Detroit. Dope. Did he think there wouldn't be more media interest in Ron if/when this series happened?

Obviously he is mad because Ron's new management team won't let him talk to Ron. I personally don't understand them not letting the local media talk to Ron either. OTOH, since he has yet to utter a single good word about Ron I can understand if they don't let Kravitz talk to him. Ron might go "Palace" on his a$$!!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Kravitz really felt that Artest needs to be ignored, he could have written his column about those playoffs he so snidely implies aren't being covered.

Rather than being angry at Ron, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pacers PR folks are helping to push some of this. The better Ron looks, the more likely either he is accepted while playing for the Pacers or he is easier to trade this summer. Given that second point, you'd think Bobby would be jumping with glee at the activity.

If we weren't playing Detroit, no one would be concerned about Ron at this point. Since the attention started with the continual re-hash of the brawl, it is only right that the PR machine use this to repair and rehabilitate.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Harmonica

"Hmm, what am I going to write my article on today? That Artest interview on ESPN? Nah. Not juicy enough. I know! I'll write about little fluffy clouds."

Kravitz gets paid to comment on all things Pacers. This certainly falls in that category. What do you expect him to write about? Same goes for ESPN. Networks have always done human interest stories around teams that are in the playoffs.

Okay people, there's nothing to see here, let's move along now.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace

You might tell that to Stern since he is the one that will not let Ron play basketball. How else can he show he is better ?

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli
    Artest is in a no-win situation. If he had stayed silent all through the season and playoffs, I have no doubt Kravitz would be writing a column chastising Ron for not making any public remarks and blah blah blah blah blah.
    He already did - remember the article where he called on Ron to apologize to Reggie?

I don't really disagree with anything Kravitz wrote - I just don't get the timing. Plus when he basically says, "let's talk about the series instead of Artest" my response is, "Take your own advice, dummy."

Looks like something he wrote just to publish the number of words he needs to justify his salary.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

sc

In all reality after seeing the interview do you feel confident with Artest on the team.

To me it made it him look more like a maniac.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Looks like something he wrote just to publish the number of words he needs to justify his salary.
    I believe they call it a job.

teY dennaB toN

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    He already did - remember the article where he called on Ron to apologize to Reggie?

I don't really disagree with anything Kravitz wrote - I just don't get the timing. Plus when he basically says, "let's talk about the series instead of Artest" my response is, "Take your own advice, dummy."

You're right, he already did.

The funny thing about Kravitz is that he gets paid to be opinionated . . . but the majority of the time I don't think HE even believes the side he is defending. He just picks the view that is most likely to stir it up and runs with it.

Kravitz is a good writer. I would just enjoy his writing more if I felt he actually believed his opinions instead of flip flopping all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Retard
    First, this is a series, even without Artest. The matchups page says it shouldn't be a series and common sense says it shouldn't be a series. But after Wednesday's victory in Auburn Hills, Mich., the Pacers can put the defending champs on the ropes tonight in Game 3 at Conseco Fieldhouse. Pistons coach Larry Brown is said to be so upset, he's ready to blame the Olympic selection committee. (Just kidding.)

Wow, he really changed his tune quickly. Wasn't it the day Sun/Mon when he said the Pacers would get "smoked?"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

While I'll agree in theory, about trading Artest that is. However Kravitz can't seem to write about anything else. I used to enjoy his articles, but now he is a one trick pony whose act has grown stale to me.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli
    You're right, he already did.

The funny thing about Kravitz is that he gets paid to be opinionated . . . but the majority of the time I don't think HE even believes the side he is defending. He just picks the view that is most likely to stir it up and runs with it.

Kravitz is a good writer. I would just enjoy his writing more if I felt he actually believed his opinions instead of flip flopping all the time.

I'm not even sure it's what he believes - I think he just likes to take a position opposite what most everyone else thinks.

Frex, last year when the Pacers were winning 61 games, he went out of his way to talk about weaknesses in the team. This year - and pretty early - he talked about how good this could be for the team in a lot of ways.

I'd call it "Devil's Advocate Journalism."

It's OK. Most of the ESPN reporters are worse.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Agreed. Absolutely right.

I don't question the timing of his firm at all. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they kept him out of the media expressly so he'd be "fresh" for a Pacers-Pistons matchup. They're going to be showing clips of Ron Artest, guys. It's either Ron in a suit talking nice or Ron in a uniform going into the stands.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Bob's 15 minutes are up. He's been seen twice now on television and didn't make the impact he thought he would. Sorry Bob, no "Around The Horn" for you so go back into your bedroom and tear down that Woody poster you worship.

Unhappy Re: Krapitz: Trading Artest makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by sc
    In all reality after seeing the interview do you feel confident with Artest on the team.

To me it made it him look more like a maniac.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    agreed
    Yeah, but we all know if Jermaine and Jax both broke their legs next year and Ron single-handedly lead us to a championship, your first reaction would be "Trade him now while his value is high!"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think I've seen at least 3 sep complaints in this thread with Kravitz and each one conflicts with the other.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I think I've seen at least 3 sep complaints in this thread with Kravitz and each one conflicts with the other.
    You're gonna have to clarify for me. The primary 3 complaints I see are:

1. He's pissy because the local media didn't get dibs.
    2. He doesn't follow his own advice re: ignoring Artest.
    3. He writes opinions, but doesn't actually seem to hold them himself or remember what he's said in the past. He's pretty much always willing to take a shot at something, regardless of whether it needs shooting.

I see no conflict between these three. What objections are you referring to, and how do they conflict with each other?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

I don't like that he has become the mouthpiece for this city. He works for a large media company and his own agenda, not for Indy.