Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Ron Artest Interview

Default Thoughts on the Ron Artest Interview

I wanted to come away from it saying "Maybe, just maybe he's going to be different'...

Something just didn't feel right to me. You'd listen for his answer and he just wouldn't go where you'd think he would... or should. Maybe not exactly like Michael Jackson being interviewed but you get the idea. There were better answers than what he was giving.

Also, Artest said he has NOT been attending counseling. I find that hard to believe and if true then I can understand Stern not reinstating him early. That is just something that should be a given in a circumstance like this. If nothing else so that he can see what other people are seeing and hopefully come to terms with it.

I wanted to be impressed with him and what he's done and learned. I wanted to think "He's getting it"...

Now I am not so sure.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on the Ron Artest Interview

I wasn't sold, either. I WANTED to be so bad. But he didn't do it tonight.

I only saw the edited version, but it looked pretty decent.

What was in the longer version that bothered you?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Well, one thing is for sure. Ron has come a long way from "Now I wanna promote by CD" Ron, and blabbering-to-ESPN-from-his-car Ron. He was a pretty good interview.

I get the feeling Ron was speaking in honesty in what he said, because a lot of the things he said weren't exactly what someone looking for a PR bump would say.

However, he either hasn't had counseling, or didn't want to admit it. Like I said above, I think he is telling the truth, and hasn't undergone therapy. He clearly thinks he can conquer his demons by himself. Which, considering how hard he has worked to become the player he is, isn't exactly a stretch.

He made a good point in saying that the time he has had off has been like three NBA summers, and has left him a lot of time to progress as a person, or player maybe, he only said 'improve'.

He kept vaguely stating that he was improving, and would continue to improve. While the idea of his on-court game becoming even better is exciting, I wish he would of explained how he had been/is planning on 'improving' the explosions of anger that have threatened his career.

The fact that he was so vague worries me. I think Gray should have followed up on this in the interview, "What exactly have you been doing about your anger problems?" would have been nice. Ron kept dancing with 'improvement'. While it sounds great, I wish he would have been less ambiguous.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Well, at least it wasn't like the Bob Knight interview with Jeremy Schapp where Knight did himself no favors (even insulted Jeremy by saying he wasn't as good as his dad (or something like that)). IMHO Knight came off as an 'a$$'.

IMHO... Thankfully, it's not something that will haunt the Pacers or serve as distraction for these playoffs.

But I don't see it changing any minds or calming any worries either. Maybe someone else who saw it will have a different take. I doubt DW or Larry B were overly thrilled with it... unless it just thrilled them he didn't create a distraction with it. I doubt he said what they hoped he would say.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

With Ron, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Pacers got him into something that wasn't called "counselling." Ron's enough of a hard-*** that I could see him balking at it. But he's definitely been in some kind of program, and the Pacers (and even the NBA) say he's done everything they've asked him to do. If it's not in an office, does it count as counselling?

I could also see Ron getting counselling but not wanting to admit it on national TV.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I only saw the edited version, but it looked pretty decent.

What was in the longer version that bothered you?
    His thought process just didn't seem to connect all the dots. I hesitate to call some of the answers 'rambling' but they certainly could've been more direct. And I didn't hear answers that you'd think would be the obvious politically correct answers. His answers went places that made me uneasy at times.

To hear him say he is not undergoing counseling (and imply he has not during this period) worries me in and of itself. Even if he is and just doesn't want to admit it, that implies to me that more counseling could be needed. It's not like he's Tony Soprano and needs to keep it under wraps. He needs to let the world know he's willing to leave no stone unturned to get his NBA career back on track.

I would've liked to have heard a heartfelt apology to the fans of the Pacers, the team, and the NBA... But maybe that is expecting too much...

Did I hear him tell people he's forgiven them?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I wouldn't fault Ron for not wanting to admit he had counseling on National TV.

That's pretty personal, IMO.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I wouldn't fault Ron for not wanting to admit he had counseling on National TV.

That's pretty personal, IMO.
    I would think if counseling is getting thru to him that he'd be comfortable with talking about it by now. Plus, he has to know that it would be a positive for his tarnished image to be involved in counseling at this point.

You could be right tho... That crossed my mind as well.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I must say... He doesn't seem like he's going to be a wearing a "Stuck Fern" T-shirt. He says he loves David Stern (no, he wasn't being sarcastic). He says Stern shook his hand AND gave him a hug. He called him a 'dad' to the NBA and said sometimes he (Stern) has to discipline his children.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Did I hear him tell people he's forgiven them?
    Kinda. I took that as referring to Ben Wallace. They were talking about Ben's foul, then "I forgive... people... for what they did to me. I'm not mad about it."

Enjoy your time at PD!

I saw nothing wrong with it, I was impressed with how he presented himself, and I feel good about it.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Ron seems to be in a different world than the rest of us. He comes from the projects of NY city where you can never show weakness. Admitting to counseling is liking admitting a weakness. Do you think we could get him on Dr Phil for a little psycho-analyzing. I would say RA could toy with Dr Phils mind.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Harmonica

Oh c'mon, Bball, counseling is overrated. That is not the magic bullet for Ron. It needs to start with him. And whether it was a PR front or not, I certainly got that impression from the interview. And you know how I feel about Ron!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Oh c'mon, Bball, counseling is overrated. That is not the magic bullet for Ron. It needs to start with him. And whether it was a PR front or not, I certainly got that impression from the interview. And you know how I feel about Ron!
    I think you missed my point... My point isn't about the validity of counseling, it is about whether Ron is doing everything he can to get past this. Counseling just seems like one of the steps he'd want to try (or should try). Even if he thinks it won't do him any good, it would certainly serve PR purposes. And he is a person who has a lot of rehab work to do on a lot of fronts and could use whatever good PR he can get. I'm not sure the NBA or the Pacers want to see him taking any shortcuts or skipping any steps. I'd think they would want him to leave no stone unturned. And, in his current position, he should want that as well.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

So what was in the longer version that wasn't in the short one?

It doesn't look like anybody was able to record it...

Enjoy your time at PD!

So what was in the longer version that wasn't in the short one?

It doesn't look like anybody was able to record it...
    I think they are playing it on Sportscenter... apparently all night...
    They are playing it in two parts and I think it is the whole thing. I think I've heard it 3 times so far (in the background).

I didn't see the short one so I can't tell you the difference.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I don't know what you guys expected from Ron when he was being asked all those stupid degrading questions by a dicksucker like Jim Gray. At least Ron showed a little poise and tried to answer his questions.

You know, image aside, it may be in Ron's best interest to not admit to getting counselling. As in, advice from lawyers.

Until all of the suits have been settled, Ron's lawyers might not want him to say anything that the opposition could use in court. "See, your honor, he was crazy. He even had to undergo counselling to get himself back together. All your salary are belong to us."

Enjoy your time at PD!

There is no evidence Ron is unstable or abnormally aggressive with others outside the gym. There is a good chance that most of this anger management stuff is bullcrap.

There is only one thing that matters for Artest: Ron needs to control his competitiveness while in an NBA gym.

I watched and enjoyed the interview, but like I've said many many times. I don't really pay much attention to what he says

PacerNation

You really can't ask much of Ron in this interview:

a) While I love Ron as a basketball player he is not a very smart person, and I think he gets really self-conscious in interview situations like this. For this reason he has a very hard time expressing himself, and as I said above he's just lacks the ability to be an eloquent player who will impress the media. His vocabulary is lacking and his sentences are really choppy. Ron's Matt Lauer interview after the fight was painful to watch for these reasons.

b) Jim Gray conducted the interview. This turned me off right from the start. I hope I'm not alone in saying I hate Jim Gray more than Walton at times. Jim Gray is perhaps the biggest jerks/idiots in the sports reporting industry.

All said and done the most encouraging thing Ron said was that "the cup wasn't a brick". In this little phrase he admitted that he overreacted and turned a minor situation into a melee. If he understand this much than he's come a long way. There is still work to be done, but I can only hope that losing 5 million dollars sobered him up to reality.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I also liked the interview. Ron is not a good speaker but I thought he conducted himself well and was very positive, hell, he even wore a suit and tie.

It looked like he was wearing a suit - I was impressed!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Harmonica

You know, image aside, it may be in Ron's best interest to not admit to getting counselling. As in, advice from lawyers.

Until all of the suits have been settled, Ron's lawyers might not want him to say anything that the opposition could use in court. "See, your honor, he was crazy. He even had to undergo counselling to get himself back together. All your salary are belong to us."
    I wish people would use spellcheck before they post. It's counseling, not counselling. Aren't you supposed to be a stickler about these things?