Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where are the hidden gems this off-season?

Default Re: Where are the hidden gems this off-season?

The Heat might not be able to afford to keep Willie Reed. I think we need what he brings to the game.

I'm even higher on the potential of the Warriors Kevin Looney. My goodness is he going to be something special in a couple seasons.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two guys that we could plug into the starting lineup right away, Derrick Favors and Allen Crabbe. Both of their teams are hurting capwise, Favors has fallen out of the starting lineup, if the price is right, that could be the whole offseason.

Front court Turner, Favors, Thad, Seriphim

SF PG, GR3

Backcourt Teague, Crabbe, Lance, Joe

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Heat might not be able to afford to keep Willie Reed. I think we need what he brings to the game.

I'm even higher on the potential of the Warriors Kevin Looney. My goodness is he going to be something special in a couple seasons.
    The question is whether KP recognizes that we need a bruiser next to Myles or not.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was thinking the same originally... However, Willie Reed falls under the quite rare clause called "Gilbert Arenas provision".

And that means that offers to Reed are limited under following rules (from cbafaq.com) :

"Teams are now limited in the salary they can offer in an offer sheet to a restricted free agent with one or two years in the league. The first-year salary in the offer sheet cannot be greater than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25). Limiting the first-year salary in this way enables the player's original team to match the offer sheet by using the Early Bird exception (if applicable -- see question number 25), or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (provided they have it and haven't used it already)1.

The second-year salary in such an offer sheet is limited to the standard 4.5% raise. The third-year salary can jump considerably -- it is allowed to be as high as it would have been had the first-year salary not been limited by this rule to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception2. The salary in the fourth season may increase (or decrease) by up to 4.1% of the salary in the third season. The offer sheet can only contain the large jump in the third season if it provides the highest salary allowed in the first two seasons, it is fully guaranteed, and it contains no bonuses of any kind.

If the raise in the third season exceeds the standard raise (4.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract), then an additional restriction exists. In order to determine how large the offer can be, the team doesn't just have to fit the first-year salary under the cap. Instead, they must fit the average salary in the entire contract under the cap. So a team $8 million under the cap is limited to offering a total of $24 million over three years, or $32 million over four years. If the offer sheet does not contain a third-season raise larger than 4.5% of the first-season salary, then they only have to fit the first season salary under the cap.

Putting this all together, if a team that is $9 million under the cap in 2011-12 wants to submit a four-year offer sheet, and wants to provide a large raise in the third season, they can offer a total of $36 million over four years. The first-year salary is limited to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or $5 million. The second-year salary will be $5.225 million (4.5% raise). This leaves $25.775 million to be distributed over the final two seasons of the contract, with a 4.1% raise from year three to year four. So the entire contract looks like this:

Season Salary Notes
    1 $5,000,000 Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level amount for 2011-12
    2 $5,225,000 4.5% raise over season 1
    3 $12,628,613 This is the amount that yields $25.775 million over the final two seasons with a 4.1% raise3
    4 $13,146,387 Raise is 4.1% of season 3 salary
    Total $36,000,000 Average is $9 million, which equals the team's cap room

For the team making this offer, this contract would count for $9.0 million (i.e., the average salary in the contract) of team salary in each of the four seasons if they sign the player. If the player's prior team matches the offer and keeps the player, then the actual salary in each season counts as team salary.4 The player's original team is allowed to use any available exception (e.g., the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Early Bird) to match the offer.

Since a team must fit the average salary from the entire contract under the cap in order to offer the large third-season raise, it must have some amount of cap room above the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception amount in order to utilize this provision. For example, suppose the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception amount is $5 million, and a team wants to provide a four-year offer sheet. If they want to offer a third-year raise greater than 4.5%, their cap room will be determined by the contract's average salary, so the total contract must pay $20.4 million or less. However, since a four-year offer starting at $5 million with standard 4.5% raises would total $21.35 million, the Arenas provision would be ineffective unless it offered more than this amount. So the team in this example would need at least $5.3375 million in cap room in order to utilize the provision."

That rule makes it much easier for Miami to match and keep Reed...

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The question is whether KP recognizes that we need a bruiser next to Myles or not.
    I would say, with all his talk about getting tougher and more physical, he knows the needs.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    Two guys that we could plug into the starting lineup right away, Derrick Favors and Allen Crabbe. Both of their teams are hurting capwise, Favors has fallen out of the starting lineup, if the price is right, that could be the whole offseason.

Front court Turner, Favors, Thad, Seriphim

SF PG, GR3

Backcourt Teague, Crabbe, Lance, Joe

Pass on Favors. You want to ink a player who's perpetually injured and whose previous injuries have already stripped away much of who he is/was, to a near max deal? Insanity.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Pass on Favors. You want to ink a player who's perpetually injured and whose previous injuries have already stripped away much of who he is/was, to a near max deal? Insanity.
    12 million next season, if he doesn't pan out then let him walk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

James Johnson played himself into a great position this summer... I dunno if he's a starting-caliber forward but he'd look great on anybody's bench.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Mood

Forget Saric or even Okafor, I really like Richaun Holmes.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

PetPmina

Re Willie Reed

My thought was the Heat might not have enough money available. I've read that their top priorities are Johnson and Waiters.

Heat players seem to be very happy to play in the culture that the organization has created so my belief is they would have an advantage re-signing Reed.

However at his age money talks very loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    12 million next season, if he doesn't pan out then let him walk
    We are not in a position to be taking a chance on risky/injured guys. We'd be better off taking a small flier on Larry Sanders. At least his issues were mental and not physical, and his mental issues seem to be straightened out now. From a talent standpoint I'd love to have Favors and Danilo Gallinari on next years squad. But with their respective injury histories? I'll pass.

I think if/when the Warriors fail to win the championship this season, they will consider dealing Klay for pieces. He's being held back by the incredible talent around him, and the Warriors lack guys who can play inside.

I'd trade pretty much anybody on the roster but I don't see the Pacers having what the Warriors need unless we give up Myles, which as far as I'm aware is a deal breaker. Then again, we could offer picks and cap relief to a team if they give us a quality big that the Warriors might want.

Just thinking out loud, I know the Pacers aren't gonna get him but a guy like Klay/Beal/McCollum with Teague and PG is the dream for me.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I think if/when the Warriors fail to win the championship this season, they will consider dealing Klay for pieces. He's being held back by the incredible talent around him, and the Warriors lack guys who can play inside.

I'd trade pretty much anybody on the roster but I don't see the Pacers having what the Warriors need unless we give up Myles, which as far as I'm aware is a deal breaker. Then again, we could offer picks and cap relief to a team if they give us a quality big that the Warriors might want.

Just thinking out loud, I know the Pacers aren't gonna get him but a guy like Klay/Beal/McCollum with Teague and PG is the dream for me.
    Lance
    Klay
    PG
    Seraphin
    Dwight

Works for me.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around Paul and Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard

Andre Roberson could be a hidden gem if he ever figures out how to make free throws and make 3 pointers, he is the kind of guy you sign for 4/50 hoping he becomes that player, his D is amazing.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Andre Roberson could be a hidden gem if he ever figures out how to make free throws and make 3 pointers, he is the kind of guy you sign for 4/50 hoping he becomes that player, his D is amazing.
    Well he did shoot over 40% from 3 in the Houston series, so there's hope, but beware small sample size. The free throws are a big deal too though.

Roberson would be an amazing signing, but I feel pretty confident that OKC will pay him much more than 4/50. He's RFA also so it will take a really big offer to discourage OKC from matching, IMO.
    Last edited by wintermute; 05-07-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post

Wishful thinking. The Dubs aren't trading Klay Thompson.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

PetPmina

Re Willie Reed

My thought was the Heat might not have enough money available. I've read that their top priorities are Johnson and Waiters.

Heat players seem to be very happy to play in the culture that the organization has created so my belief is they would have an advantage re-signing Reed.

However at his age money talks very loudly.
    Due to Gilbert Arenas Provision, no team can offer Reed more than $ 5,797.000 for the 1st year & 4,5 % raise for the 2nd year. Possible 3rd year in the contract offer can include a huge raise, but Heat has no problem in matching that as Bosh is then gone from the books!

With Waiters & James Johnson, there is no similar protection for Miami. There other teams can outbid them. With Reed - not really. CBA doesn't allow you to do so...

And as said - I also was looking for Willie Reed with interest until I noticed this rule. Now, Miami has almost secure position to retain him as a RFA.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Well he did shoot over 40% from 3 in the Houston series, so there's hope, but beware small sample size. The free throws are a big deal too though.

Roberson would be an amazing signing, but I feel pretty confident that OKC will pay him much more than 4/50. He's RFA also so it will take a really big offer to discourage OKC from matching, IMO.
    His total lack of offense on the perimiter scares me. Those missed FTs in the playoffs was utterly embarrassing

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Wishful thinking. The Dubs aren't trading Klay Thompson.
    Whenever the salary cap catches up to them, I think Klay will be the one moving on.

But I don't think that happens for a while.

Was looking at their team pay roll and completely over looked the Bosh money.

Once they get that cleared up they shouldn't have any problem signing Waiters, Johnson and Reed.

Getting Winslow and Richardson healthy and they are going to be tough next season.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Klay will be there until his salary expires in 18/19 then he will probably ask for that max contract and the Warriors aren't going to give it to him and he'll be gone. At some point somebody's going out the door, can't give max to Curry, Durant, Green and Klay.

The guy isn't a free agent sadly but another young guard I like is Terry Rozier from Celtics.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Jonathan Simmons, Aaron Baynes, Jodie Meeks, Patrick Patterson, Jonas Jarenko, James Johnson, Ersan Illyasova, Thabo Sefelosha, Shelvin Mack, Adrian Payne, James Young, Tyler Ennis, Beno Udrih, Alan Anderson, Luke Babbit, Thomas Robison, Ian Clark, Jeff Withey, Mike Muscala, Derrick Williams.
    Baynes is the only one I see on that list. I like Payne and he can be had super cheap but health issues have slowed him.
    Alan Williams and Baynes would be 2 targets for me

I like Kelly Oubre. He has already demonstrated the ability to hit the 3 point shot, which is huge for today's NBA. Only his second year, and you would figure that Washington would not have the money to resign him once his Rookie contract expires. If Oubre has any ambition of becoming an NBA starter, being behind Porter and Beal, this will not happen in Washington. One of Bird's weaknesses was that he would only target proven veteran players, often once they were passed their prime. Pritchard needs to target younger players, before they have peaked, and develop these guys into star players
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Klay will be there until his salary expires in 18/19 then he will probably ask for that max contract and the Warriors aren't going to give it to him and he'll be gone. At some point somebody's going out the door, can't give max to Curry, Durant, Green and Klay.

The guy isn't a free agent sadly but another young guard I like is Terry Rozier from Celtics.
    They'll be in the L.T. next year after giving Curry a huge raise and I assume that Durant is taking the same path as Lebron with the opt out for another 2 year contract next year. Iggy is a free agent who I think will get paid more than the 11 mil he made this year and I doubt if they'd let him walk. It sucks that they still have a 2 year window to keep it all together while paying minimal L.T.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    Forget Saric or even Okafor, I really like Richaun Holmes.

Holmes would be cheaper that's for sure. Like him as energy off the bench.

But Saric is easily the player with the higher ceiling.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post: