Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the hidden gems this off-season?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Where are the hidden gems this off-season?

Throughout the years, our best players have been almost exclusively drafted or acquired via trade, as we all know this isn't a major free agent destination for most young stars. We've pulled a few, like DWest, but the list is short. But the real cornerstones like Reggie, Danny, and Paul were drafted, and the guys like JO, Jalen, Artest, Hibbert were all via trades.

We've all been talking about the "big fish" trades. Moving PG for draft picks, moving Monta+pick for guys like Melo or Dwight who are in bad situations, or even moving Myles for a guy like Butler. But I haven't seen much talk about the hidden gems. We got JO for Dale Davis. DD was coming off an All-Star appearance on the strength of his defense and rebounding, but scoring just 10ppg didn't exactly make him a complete two-way player. I still hear the echoes of his free throw attempts hitting the back of the rim.

So, let's take a look around the league and see if there are any of those JO-type guys hiding behind veterans on contenders that we could pilfer for a similar deal. Maybe they don't ever become an MVP-candidate like JO did, but let's say guys who could potentially become All-Stars if they get the chance. Where are they hiding?
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Where are the hidden gems this off-season?

Delon Wright is a diamond in the rough.

Name-calling signature removed

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Banta For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Delon Wright is a diamond in the rough.
    Is Toronto committed to him, maybe as a potential replacement for Lowry? Or is re-signing Lowry a big priority that would keep Wright buried on the bench? What would it take to get him, and what's his ceiling?
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Being from Toronto and have watched many of their games....Wright has a ton of potential. He just doesn't get minutes because Lowry starts and Joseph takes all the back up minutes
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Being from Toronto and have watched many of their games....Wright has a ton of potential. He just doesn't get minutes because Lowry starts and Joseph takes all the back up minutes
    That is a tough PG rotation for sure. No wonder he hasn't gotten much play. Kinda like being the Warrior's 3rd string PG behind Steph and Livingston.

What I really would like to know is, who is the hidden gem SG or SF. That is the position that needs to be upgraded.

I have no clue what it would take to get him.

He can comfortably play the 1 or 2. Personally I would like to retain Teague and have Wright play 2 for the Pacers.

I think his ceiling is a slightly better rebounding George Hill.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Banta For This Useful Post:

I feel the way the CBA has evolved more teams are clinging onto prospects much tighter unless they are really trading for an all-star and going all in to win. It's why Boston refuses to trade it's young players or picks unless they are guaranteed to win. Portland was forced to match Net's offer on Crab for 80 million, even though he is probably not worth that much. I anticipate Nets are going to go even more crazy with RFAs this season.

I think the ones to look out for this year are Jonathan Simmons from Spurs, JayMchal (sp?) Green from Memphis, and Alan Williams from Suns.

Side note, this is why not picking up Solo Hill's option was such a bizarre thing, he wasn't the best, but at that value he was pretty good role player.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Side note, this is why not picking up Solo Hill's option was such a bizarre thing, he wasn't the best, but at that value he was pretty good role player.
    Apparently Bird was interested in giving Solo a swift kick in the pants to help him increase the level of his play and his career. It worked. Admirable in a way, but it didn't help us.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Toronto has a lot of money tied up in winning now, assuming they try to re-sign the big names. I can't see them trying to match generous offers to Wright. I would go after him for sure, he was one of my favorite players in the 15 draft.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I feel the way the CBA has evolved more teams are clinging onto prospects much tighter unless they are really trading for an all-star and going all in to win. It's why Boston refuses to trade it's young players or picks unless they are guaranteed to win. Portland was forced to match Net's offer on Crab for 80 million, even though he is probably not worth that much. I anticipate Nets are going to go even more crazy with RFAs this season.

I think the ones to look out for this year are Jonathan Simmons from Spurs, JayMchal (sp?) Green from Memphis, and Alan Williams from Suns.

I like Green and Williams, and have been a proponent of John Simmons, but I think Simmons should be dropped from the list. He is older and still doesn't bring anything other than athleticism consistently. He shows flashes of having a consistent shot from range and great defense, but just isn't there enough for me.

Does Saric fit the "diamond in the rough" mold for everyone?

Montrezl Harrell, great energy player, can rebound and score around the rim.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

is Seraphin a FA?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does Saric fit the "diamond in the rough" mold for everyone?
    0% chance they trade him. 0. Is the ROY

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

I have always liked Ian Clark.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    0% chance they trade him. 0. Is the ROY
    They might trade him for PG. That is exactly the type of trade the Pacers should be looking for if they can't retain Paul. Saric, a role player and a pick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Joe Inglis - very versatile on offense with a great 3pt shot + a solid defender.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeForPresident For This Useful Post:

They might trade him for PG. That is exactly the type of trade the Pacers should be looking for if they can't retain Paul. Saric, a role player and a pick.
    Well. Ill bump the odds up significantly if you're going to include a top 10 player like PG

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

Jonathan Simmons, Aaron Baynes, Jodie Meeks, Patrick Patterson, Jonas Jarenko, James Johnson, Ersan Illyasova, Thabo Sefelosha, Shelvin Mack, Adrian Payne, James Young, Tyler Ennis, Beno Udrih, Alan Anderson, Luke Babbit, Thomas Robison, Ian Clark, Jeff Withey, Mike Muscala, Derrick Williams.
    Last edited by I Love P; 05-05-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Ennis was legit when he got pt. I think he's the new Suns PG. Bledsoe is gone imo

As far as Jerebko and James Young... they're yours.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Throughout the years, our best players have been almost exclusively drafted or acquired via trade, as we all know this isn't a major free agent destination for most young stars. We've pulled a few, like DWest, but the list is short. But the real cornerstones like Reggie, Danny, and Paul were drafted, and the guys like JO, Jalen, Artest, Hibbert were all via trades.

We've all been talking about the "big fish" trades. Moving PG for draft picks, moving Monta+pick for guys like Melo or Dwight who are in bad situations, or even moving Myles for a guy like Butler. But I haven't seen much talk about the hidden gems. We got JO for Dale Davis. DD was coming off an All-Star appearance on the strength of his defense and rebounding, but scoring just 10ppg didn't exactly make him a complete two-way player. I still hear the echoes of his free throw attempts hitting the back of the rim.

So, let's take a look around the league and see if there are any of those JO-type guys hiding behind veterans on contenders that we could pilfer for a similar deal. Maybe they don't ever become an MVP-candidate like JO did, but let's say guys who could potentially become All-Stars if they get the chance. Where are they hiding?

Porzingis. Knicks might deal him. He seems unhappy there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ennis was legit when he got pt. I think he's the new Suns PG. Bledsoe is gone imo

As far as Jerebko and James Young... they're yours.
    He put up numbers but nobody out here thinks he's the answer. Suns fans are dying for one of the top point guards in this draft.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

I still like John Jenkins in a Seth Curry role although he's not in the NBA right now and I'm not sure where he ended up this season.

Its less realistic to get a few of these guys than others but:

Joe Ingles, Jaymichel Green, Jonathan Simmons, James Johnson, Ben McLemore, Ian Clark, Tony Snell, Darren Collison

McGee, the guys has made himself some money.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!