Thread: Bill Simmons chat on ESPN.com - Insider Request

fongjones

Default Bill Simmons chat on ESPN.com - Insider Request

Bill Simmons broke his hiatus for a live chat on ESPN about his new fatherhood, etc. The chat wrap is up, but is Insider-only. Any chance that someone with Insider can post it for us? Would be interesting to see what he says about the Celts/Pacers series.

Default Re: Bill Simmons chat on ESPN.com - Insider Request

Quote Originally Posted by fongjones
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bill Simmons broke his hiatus for a live chat on ESPN about his new fatherhood, etc. The chat wrap is up, but is Insider-only. Any chance that someone with Insider can post it for us? Would be interesting to see what he says about the Celts/Pacers series.
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8111

Dre (Seattle, WA): Do you think that the Celtics choke job was more a result of their inability to produce under pressure or marketing by the Commish (let's face it, WAY more people would want to watch Pistons-Pacers 2)?

Bill Simmons: I thought the Celtics played terribly and had the worst coach in the playoffs. That's why they lost - they should have put the series away in 5 before Tinsley came back. At the same time, the FT differential was almost unbelievable - over the last 5 games, the Pacers shot 65 FT's, plus the Celts had 6 techinicals called on them, 1 player suspended and their best player thrown out of a do-or-die game. It was a really weird series. I want to know how a team with 1 post player and 1 jumpshooter gets 65 more FT's over the last 5 games. In G1 of Pistons-Pacers, the Pistons shot 16 more FT;s. It's crazy. Although I don't think it was a conspiracy as much as the fact that the Celts have unlikable guys on their team, and Indy has good guys (except for Jackson).

Eddie, Brooklyn, USA: How long before Stern pulls a Vince Macmahon and peronally show up in a Ref's uniform to sway these playoff games in the "intrest of the league"

Bill Simmons: I think it's already happened - you didn't see the Pacers-Celtics series?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

fongjones

Thanks man!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I thought the Celtics played terribly and had the worst coach in the playoffs. That's why they lost - they should have put the series away in 5 before Tinsley came back. Although I don't think it was a conspiracy as much as the fact that the Celts have unlikable guys on their team, and Indy has good guys (except for Jackson).

I think it's already happened - you didn't see the Pacers-Celtics series?
    So his first reason for why they lost was Doc. Then he turns it into being Stern calling the game?

Wow, what a joke.

Why would he single out Jax? If he's thinking that because of the brawl, what about JO and AJ?

JayOFan

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8111

Dre (Seattle, WA): Do you think that the Celtics choke job was more a result of their inability to produce under pressure or marketing by the Commish (let's face it, WAY more people would want to watch Pistons-Pacers 2)?

Bill Simmons: I thought the Celtics played terribly and had the worst coach in the playoffs. That's why they lost - they should have put the series away in 5 before Tinsley came back. At the same time, the FT differential was almost unbelievable - over the last 5 games, the Pacers shot 65 FT's, plus the Celts had 6 techinicals called on them, 1 player suspended and their best player thrown out of a do-or-die game. It was a really weird series. I want to know how a team with 1 post player and 1 jumpshooter gets 65 more FT's over the last 5 games. In G1 of Pistons-Pacers, the Pistons shot 16 more FT;s. It's crazy. Although I don't think it was a conspiracy as much as the fact that the Celts have unlikable guys on their team, and Indy has good guys (except for Jackson).

Eddie, Brooklyn, USA: How long before Stern pulls a Vince Macmahon and peronally show up in a Ref's uniform to sway these playoff games in the "intrest of the league"

Bill Simmons: I think it's already happened - you didn't see the Pacers-Celtics series?
    Now, I'm a little slow (I went to Purdue and live in Pittsboro) but is this moron saying that the league WANTED the Pacers to beat the Celtics? Incredible, the same Pacers franchise that has been screwed by phantom-foul-four-point-plays; all of those calls that Michael Jordan (the third best player in the history of the NBA) got; David Stern ('nuff said); etc. etc. etc.

And Bill Simmons (initials are BS by the way) thinks somebody outside of the state of Indiana wants the Pacers to advace. Please.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayOFan
    Now, I'm a little slow (I went to Purdue and live in Pittsboro) but is this moron saying that the league WANTED the Pacers to beat the Celtics? Incredible, the same Pacers franchise that has been screwed by phantom-foul-four-point-plays; all of those calls that Michael Jordan (the third best player in the history of the NBA) got; David Stern ('nuff said); etc. etc. etc.

And Bill Simmons (initials are BS by the way) thinks somebody outside of the state of Indiana wants the Pacers to advace. Please.

We cover this all the time with Bill Simmons. He a comic writer who grew up in Boston, loves his Celtics, and has an entertaining view of the NBA.

Think of him as a combination of Peck's Pacer-passion and insight with MagicRat's/ Btown's humor.

And yes, I'd love for Bill to be our honorary Celtics "troll." That would be a lot of fun.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I love Bill Simmons' work, but you guys all know he's a Celtics fan. And like the post above said, he's not really a sportswriter, but a comedy writer. All of us are biased for the Pacers, because we are Pacer fans, well Bill Simmons is biased for the Celtics. He's not supposed to be partial and offer analysis, he's supposed to be funny, and he does that very well. He's the Seth McFarlane of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    If Bill Simmonns is supposed to be funny, then either I have A. no sense of humor or B. he really, really sucks at his job
    Go with A, it's your best bet

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    If Bill Simmonns is supposed to be funny, then either I have A. no sense of humor or B. he really, really sucks at his job
    He can be funny when he's not talking about one of his teams. Now that Boston area teams have started to win again I think he's just an egotistical jerk most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    He's the Seth McFarlane of sports.
    That might be pushing it

3ptmiller

I HATE THAT ****!!! WTF IS HE GONA TALK BULL**** AGAINST THE PACERS AND REGGIE HOW MUCH HE IS SUCKING AND SO ON!!! **** THAT!

teY dennaB toN

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    I HATE THAT ****!!! WTF IS HE GONA TALK BULL**** AGAINST THE PACERS AND REGGIE HOW MUCH HE IS SUCKING AND SO ON!!! **** THAT!

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli

ROFL