Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Paul Pierce

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I totally disagree with any of you who say Artest wouldn't be a HIGH LEVEL commodity on the trading market. The man is ELITELY talented and ,in my uneducated opinion, if DW/LB get on the phones offering Artest, they could get a lot for him. I'm too lazy to actually look up some salaries that work, especially considering that they could toss in other contracts to make it work, but I say ARTEST WOULD BE EXTREMELY VALUABLE on the market.

And everybody will be so blinded by the opportunity to grab Ron that they will ignore the fact that the people who know him best are trying to deal him????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck
    Never ever believe anything you read and only half of what you see.

Just remember, what you read is nothing more than the writer's version of what he thinks happened and may not be anymore factual than what you may read on the bathroom wall. Writers are paid to write and not always to be correct.

If they were held accountable for their material, you would see a lot less published.

Hence why I never read the Star's coverage of the Pacers. No, the rumors I speak of came from other papers, while no garuntee obviously, it is still likely when several papers mention that the Pacers are involved in the same talks.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    Hence why I never read the Star's coverage of the Pacers. No, the rumors I speak of came from other papers, while no garuntee obviously, it is still likely when several papers mention that the Pacers are involved in the same talks.
    It is really difficult but if you can find a source that is consistently accurate, believe that source. So many times someone will publish something that sounds good and many, many others will jump on the bandwagon.

Prime example was the supposed invovlement of Ron Artest at a party in Atlanta 2-3 years ago. Several of the national news media and papers jumped on that story without investigating it's validity.

So, just because "several" papers carry the same story could mean they used the same source, which could be correct or incorrect. Who knows ??

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

(shuffles in way too late to this thread)

If Paul Pierce was anybody except Paul Pierce, I’d want him, but he’s Paul Pierce, so no thank you.

(shuffles out)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

Kegboy shuffled out without tell you what he said to me after I said "Can you imagine Ron, Stephen, and Pierce on the same team?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    You think Jack whines about teammates being mean to him. Just imagine Paul after having to practice against Ron every day. “Mistah Bird, Mistah Bird! Ronnie pulled my pants down again! Make him stop!” out:

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Let's see...last summer we tried to trade Ron + Jon for McGrady. They didn't bite. We tried to trade Ron for Peja. On two separate occasions. They didn't bite. We expressed interest in Pierce and Redd. Nothing.

You thinking maybe we're not aiming high enough?
    OOOOOh, you're going to try REASONING with me, big guy?!? TOO BAD - YOUR LITTLE TRICK WON'T WORK!!!

Ehhhh, maybe you're right....
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

And this update from Boston Herald.com

If Pierce were to go -- possible destinations
    By Mark Murphy
    Thursday, May 12, 2005 - Updated: May 13, 2005 06:46 AM EST

Though his name has occasionally surfaced in the NBA marketplace, the Celtics have never felt compelled to trade their best player.

Not only is Paul Pierce [news] their best scorer (21.6 ppg), he is also their best rebounder (6.6 rpg) and generally their best passer (4.2 apg). Come to think of it, until rookie Al Jefferson matures, he's also their best post-up player.

But for a team that now has its sights set on the next step - be it the conference or league finals - director of basketball operations Danny Ainge will have to at least weigh the merits of a Pierce trade between now and next October.

Pierce, at 26 and in line to make $13.84 million, $15.1 million and an option year worth $16.36 million over the next three seasons, may already be at his peak value.

He shot a career-high 45.5 percent under Doc Rivers' system this season, though Pierce also chafed under his new coach. He wants to be the leader that his numbers (on the court and contractually) connote, but as Games 6 and 7 of the team's seven-game loss to the Pacers illustrated, Pierce has a growing tendency to melt down at the worst possible time. He can be disruptive - not good news for a management team attempting to instill a new philosophy and style.

Asked about remaining in Boston, Pierce has generally said the right thing in a rather unconvincing way.

There's nothing here that says Pierce will be traded. But there's no harm in taking a look at the marketplace.

You never know. Considering Ainge and his cold-blooded ability to do what's best for the team, there should be quite a market out there for the player who possesses the NBA's best combination of scoring and rebounding in a guard:

1. RAY ALLEN (Seattle, free agent, 28, 6-foot-5 shooting guard, 23.9 ppg, 3.7 apg last season): This would work as a sign-and-trade deal. Allen, who earned $14.6 million this season, was unable to reach an agreement with the Sonics on an extension, though negotiations were said to be civil. He's the NBA's premier shooter, and a career 44.6 percent shooter, but not as tough or durable as Pierce. He's a terrific passer, but a defensive liability. But if you're looking for someone who could fit into the lineup most seamlessly, this is probably the guy.

2. MICHAEL REDD (Milwaukee, free agent, 24, 6-6 shooting guard, 23.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg): A fledgling Allen, with perhaps even more explosive scoring potential, Redd is on the verge of an outstanding career. Unlike Allen, who could easily re-sign with the Sonics, Redd appears committed to signing with another team next season. He was a bargain for owner Sen. Herb Kohl at $3 million last year, but has his eyes set on the sort of max contract that could match Pierce's numbers. Again, this is a sign-and-trade option.

3. RON ARTEST (Indiana, 24, 6-7 small forward, 24.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg): Don't laugh. General managers have been attempting to pry the ultra-talented forward away from Larry Bird with a lot less than Pierce has to offer. The drawbacks are obvious. You're trading Pierce's oft-conflicted pouting for Artest's gone-postal tendencies. There also isn't a better defender in basketball. Ainge has often talked about adding or developing a so-called ``Power 3.'' Artest defines the job. Creativity would also be needed to make the numbers match. Another reason Bird likes Artest? He's a bargain at $6.5 million, $7.15M, $7.8M and a player option of $8.45M over the next four seasons.