Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul Pierce

Default Paul Pierce

Not sure how reliable the "hooplog" site is but they have reports not all is happy in Beantown because of the early exit. It appears Paul Pierce maybe on the shopping block as Ainge trys to build with the young. Going to be an interesting summer again.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul Pierce

There isn't anyone on this team I wouldn't trade for him other than JO, which is questionable.

The only reason why I wouldn't be willing to trade JO is that it would leave the Pacers without a low post option thus being like Boston.

Pierce and JO would be killer.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

WEST

I don't like the fit of Paul Pierce in Indy. He is a very good player and I respect him, but here are the reasons why he wouldnt fit in. . .

1.) We already have a very good starter at SF (assuming that Artest comes back) and plenty of young talent to back him up.

2.) Besides Artest or JO, there's no single player that Boston would want for PP, and I doubt that the Pacers front office would want to trade several of our young and upcoming players, and/or our big men, they are too good and there are too few of them to trade. (Besides Chroshere or Pollard)

3.) We know that they would wouldn't want to take a chance on Bender, and if they did they would want more players and I doubt our front office would want to give up anybody that Boston would want.

4.) Lastly, most Pacers fans aren't to crazy about PP and it would take alot to win them over. Personally I would like to see Boston keep PP/Walker and get some more better players. They have some good young talent in West/Allen so if they keep improving maybe the Pacers and Celtics could be a good rivalry in the near future.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

how 'bout sjax and bender for pierce

their salaries match-up

tins / AJ / gill
    pierce / freddie /
    ronnie / JJ / cro
    JO / foster / cro
    dale / harrison / scot

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

why would anyone want bender at this point? It isn't like he's making the league minimum.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I would love to have Pierce on this team. His is consisently good in the playoffs, and paired with Jax, we would have two great big-game performers.

However, if Pierce isn't fitting in right now in Boston, I really don't see how Ron ever would. We would probably have to fork over Ron, along with draft picks and young players.

I'm not sure if I would trade Ron to Boston, though. With Artest and Jefferson, they could potentially be a contender in a few years. While I believe the chances of Artest turning things around are minimal, I would hate to play a good Boston club featuring Artest in the playoffs. Ron simply destroys Pierce in a one-on-one match-up.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WEST
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like the fit of Paul Pierce in Indy. He is a very good player and I respect him, but here are the reasons why he wouldnt fit in. . .

1.) We already have a very good starter at SF (assuming that Artest comes back) and plenty of young talent to back him up.

2.) Besides Artest or JO, there's no single player that Boston would want for PP, and I doubt that the Pacers front office would want to trade several of our young and upcoming players, and/or our big men, they are too good and there are too few of them to trade. (Besides Chroshere or Pollard)

3.) We know that they would wouldn't want to take a chance on Bender, and if they did they would want more players and I doubt our front office would want to give up anybody that Boston would want.

4.) Lastly, most Pacers fans aren't to crazy about PP and it would take alot to win them over. Personally I would like to see Boston keep PP/Walker and get some more better players. They have some good young talent in West/Allen so if they keep improving maybe the Pacers and Celtics could be a good rivalry in the near future.
    1.) Artest is crazy, we have no reason to believe that he will not return just as crazy. PP is a proven scorer and a go to guy down the stretch. Plus, HE CAN CREATE HIS OWN SHOT WITH EASE!!!!!

2.) If the Pacers were smart, which they are and I'm sure they would try this deal, they would trade Ron Artest for PP. However Boston would not do that deal as Artest is crazy, and that stopped Memphis from trading a less talented player than PP for him.

3.) No one besides the Pacers are willing to take chance on Bender. After 5 years it is no longer a chance, it is a tradition. The Pacers should leap at the chance to trade Bender for anyone who go on the floor. So Ron Artest and Bender for PP? Done, I'll drive to the airport. Though Boston may want Bender to drive as the jet lag from the plane could put him in a coma.

4.) You know, I hated Patrick Ewing, but I'd been first in line to buy his Pacer jersey.

House Sigil:

WEST

Why trade Ron (perhaps our best all-around player) to a team in our confrence who we always seem to see in the playoffs. That would be like the Colts trading Peyton the Titans. (Well. . .almost)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why trade Ron (perhaps our best all-around player) to a team in our confrence who we always seem to see in the playoffs. That would be like the Colts trading Peyton the Titans. (Well. . .almost)
    This is not even close to the same analogy. One, Peyton would be playing in the playoffs unlike Artest now. Even if he came back and played the whole season without retiring who is to say that he won't refuse to play with the offense like last year. Two, we would be getting an arguably better player in return. One that consistently performs well in the playoffs.

House Sigil:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    Two, we would be getting an arguably better player in return. One that consistently performs well in the playoffs.
    I'd like to add heavy emphasis on the arguably part. I don't see how trading offense, defense, and rebounding for offense, and well offense can be considered better. PP is a #1 guy. Pacers have made it pretty plain that JO is the #1 guy in IN for a LONG time. If, and thats a big if, PP decides he can be a 2nd option, you've cut his one good quality, by ten points easy.

Not hardly better.....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I truly believe that PP would take a back seat on a winner. Just like every veteran player decides to do when they haven't expirienced much success on their own.

PP is the exact player that would cure the Pacer scoring drouts. First or second option. Right now we are complaining about the donut offense. PP is not a shooter but a scorer. There for if JO is not scoring and has to throw back out with the clock winding down to PP he can at least get a quality shot off. The best we have right now at that is Jax and he is too streaky. PP OTOH is much more consistent. So why his individual scoring may go down, the Pacers offense will improve. And let me close by saying that Ron Artest has scored zero pts, caused zero turnovers, and had shutdown no one during these playoffs. Surely PP could do better than that.

House Sigil:

And let me close by saying that Ron Artest has scored zero pts, caused zero turnovers, and had shutdown no one during these playoffs. Surely PP could do better than that.
    Neither has PP for the Pacers this season. We're talking about NEXT year, and their possible contributions. So let's please drop the act like he's never going to play again, because it's just an act.

Pierce's defense is underrated.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    Neither has PP for the Pacers this season. We're talking about NEXT year, and their possible contributions. So let's please drop the act like he's never going to play again, because it's just an act.
    Fine, even though historically as a Pacer Ron Artest has had multiple meltdowns in each full season and I believe next year will be no different, we will act like he is gonna come back and contribute. Well the way I see it the Pacer main problems right now are a lack of scoring. We go an at least one 6 min scoring drout each game and it kills us. We need a scorer. Yes I know Artest scored 20 a game, but he is not a go to guy like PP is. PP is a guy that can decide he is going to score and do it. Ron is not that type of player.

House Sigil:

WEST

This is not even close to the same analogy. One, Peyton would be playing in the playoffs unlike Artest now. Even if he came back and played the whole season without retiring who is to say that he won't refuse to play with the offense like last year. Two, we would be getting an arguably better player in return. One that consistently performs well in the playoffs.
    Sorry, the Artest to Manning analogy wasn't the brightest thing I've ever said. I do think though if Artest had played in the Boston series the Pacers would have eaisly beaten them like last year. Last year Artest shut down PP in the playoffs and still scored. I do agree that Artest was the biggest part of the Pacers meltdown in Detroit last year in the ECF, but lets hope he come back next year more mature.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry, the Artest to Manning analogy wasn't the brightest thing I've ever said. I do think though if Artest had played in the Boston series the Pacers would have eaisly beaten them like last year. Last year Artest shut down PP in the playoffs and still scored. I do agree that Artest was the biggest part of the Pacers meltdown in Detroit last year in the ECF, but lets hope he come back next year more mature.
    See, I agree that Artest did a great job on PP last year. However PP did not have the amount of options then like he did this year. And those options cause problems for the Pacers' team D, no matter who is on Pierce. So I would just throw it up in the air to say whether or not he would have done as good of a job this year or not.

But if PP came here he would have many options, even better ones than in Boston. 1) JO 2) Jax 3) Tins 4) the Jones) 5)good screen setting by Dale 6) possibly David Harrison.

PP would relish the chance to play on a real contender, IMO he would be the championship move.

House Sigil:

Fine, even though historically as a Pacer Ron Artest has had multiple meltdowns in each full season and I believe next year will be no different, we will act like he is gonna come back and contribute. Well the way I see it the Pacer main problems right now are a lack of scoring. We go an at least one 6 min scoring drout each game and it kills us. We need a scorer. Yes I know Artest scored 20 a game, but he is not a go to guy like PP is. PP is a guy that can decide he is going to score and do it. Ron is not that type of player.
    Well if you ASSUME that, then maybe PP pulls a Winslow Jr and gets hurt in an accident this offseason. Watching his actions in game 6 shows me that he's just as capable of doing something stupid in the playoffs.

Ron is that type of player. PP relies on jumpshots, where Ron goes to the post. I'd take my chances with post move, than a pull up shot with a defender in his face.

If we were trading for PP, Boston would want a lot more. Probably something like SJax, Foster, Pollard (expiring contract) plus maybe a 1st pick 2005 and a first pick 2007 for Pierce and crap throw-ins.

In other words, it would take a lot to entice Boston to give up PP.

If the Celtics deal Pierce, they'll probably try to package him with either Lafrentz or Blount. In addition to getting rid of there contracts, it will open up more PT for Al Jefferson.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    Well if you ASSUME that, then maybe PP pulls a Winslow Jr and gets hurt in an accident this offseason. Watching his actions in game 6 shows me that he's just as capable of doing something stupid in the playoffs.

Ron is that type of player. PP relies on jumpshots, where Ron goes to the post. I'd take my chances with post move, than a pull up shot with a defender in his face.
    If PP relied on just jumpshots he wouldn't go to the line a gazillion times. Isn't that half of what we ***** about Reggie, that he take to many threes and as a result never goes the line? As far as the car accident thing, obviously anything and everything is a possibility in this world. However somethings such as an Artest meltdown is has a higher probability than other things such as PP suffering season ending injuries due to a car wreck.

And I have no idea why you want to live with Artests offense, I cringe everytime he tries to drive. He has poor ball handling ability, as no stop and go ability as he just continously bulls his way in with his head down and when he shoots it is often from his hip in some out of control scoop shot. Can he score? Yes. Anything like PP? No.

House Sigil:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    If we were trading for PP, Boston would want a lot more. Probably something like SJax, Foster, Pollard (expiring contract) plus maybe a 1st pick 2005 and a first pick 2007 for Pierce and crap throw-ins.

In other words, it would take a lot to entice Boston to give up PP.
    Don't know if it works but,

Ron Artest, Scot Pollard, 2005 1st Rounder, and 2006 2nd Rounder

for

Paul Pierce, Tony Allen, and 2005 2nd Rounder

In a heartbeat.

Don't think they'd do it though.

House Sigil:

And I have no idea why you want to live with Artests offense, I cringe everytime he tries to drive. He has poor ball handling ability, as no stop and go ability as he just continously bulls his way in with his head down and when he shoots it is often from his hip in some out of control scoop shot. Can he score? Yes. Anything like PP? No.
    That's where we differ. I don't find Artest's ball-handling abilities to be poor, but perhaps average.

As for out of control scoop shot, I don't agree with that at all. If it didn't achieve the desired results (scoring and/or drawing fouls) a very significant percentage of the time, I'd be forced to agree. But it's just the opposite. Ron has a variety of playground moves near the basket, that much is true. But when he consistently overpowers his defenders and scores more often than not, I hardly think we can label his moves as out of control.

But I would take PP for a reasonable trade. Like Reggie, he's fearless. Additionally, he gets to the line more, and has a greater variety of ways to score.

I think with the addition of PP and the further development of JJ and Freddie that our dependence on Jermaine's post game would be reduced.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whew! I thought for a minute this was goikng to be another Artest thread.

They will want, at a minimum...Tinsley, and perhaps JJ and someone like Foster. I was going to say Jackson, but with his overall behavior this season he's going to be untradeable.
    Payton is a FA and TInsley should come cheaper than an aging Payton. JJ has potential, and everyone can use a worker like Jeff....They'd love him in Boston.

Ya know, if you look at it, we really don't have that many marketable players.

JO....uh, that's for another day
    Artest....pyrihana
    Jackson...see Artest
    Miller....done
    Tinsley....marketable
    Bender....yeah right
    Foster....some value
    Pollard....may have some throw in value (more next year)
    JJ.........oh yeah, but not a lot...yet.
    Freddie.....some throw in value
    AJ............filler
    Gill...........filler lite
    Harrison....uh
    Edwards......can we get em to hold another dispersal draft?
    DD..............he either signs here or retires
    forgot Cro....maybe somebody would value him, but I don't know who...NY or LA???? Nope zeke is in NY that ain't happening.

Out of that, show me who relly warrants big time trade value???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Well Ron+ wasn't enough for Ainge to give us Pierce last summer, and Pierce's stock continues to be steady or go up and Ron's continues to go down.

For that reason alone, I think Danny Ainge is an idiot.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

If we could get Pierce for Artest I would do it in a second. Pierce does better in every statistical catagory except steals and blocks.