Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything positive from game 1?

WEST

Default Anything positive from game 1?

I'm feeling incredibly nervous after game 1. Not just that we are in jeopardy of losing the series, but i'm afraid that of us not being competive. I don't want to see Reggie's career end in a sweep on our home floor. I know that we actually got beat worse in game 1 of the Boston series (trailing by 37 at one point) but Detroit is obviously a much better team than Boston. I don't mean to sound negative but Detroit is also much more consistent and better coached than Boston, and you know they will show up ready to play even better in game 2.

SportsCenter said that the Pacers looked tired and fatigued. There is only one day off between the games in this series unlike the Boston series where there were two days off between some of the games. If this is true, what can the Pacers do to prevent fatigue from being a factor in the following games, and what did they do in game 1 that should give us hope in the rest of the series?

This is my first week of being a member of PD so please hang in there with me and hopefully I will get better at posting, thanks.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Anything positive from game 1?

Here's a positive: It's only one game in a best-of-seven series.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WEST
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm feeling incredibly nervous after game 1. Not just that we are in jeopardy of losing the series, but i'm afraid that of us not being competive. I don't want to see Reggie's career end in a sweep on our home floor. I know that we actually got beat worse in game 1 of the Boston series (trailing by 37 at one point) but Detroit is obviously a much better team than Boston. I don't mean to sound negative but Detroit is also much more consistent and better coached than Boston, and you know they will show up ready to play even better in game 2.

SportsCenter said that the Pacers looked tired and fatigued. There is only one day off between the games in this series unlike the Boston series where there were two days off between some of the games. If this is true, what can the Pacers do to prevent fatigue from being a factor in the following games, and what did they do in game 1 that should give us hope in the rest of the series?

This is my first week of being a member of PD so please hang in there with me and hopefully I will get better at posting, thanks.

well, you can always NOT practice between games to conserve energy....but philly tried that tactic last round, and it didn't work out

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

3 positives

it was only 1 game

nobody got hurt

there will be another game
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

It's all part of a grand plan. The Pacers wanted to take a look at the Pistons' plans for the series as well as tank the first game in order to get the Pistons over confident and to overlook us. Mission accomplished.

Seriously... positives from game 1...
    It ended.
    I don't think the odds were with us of winning game 1 anyway. We had to change gears from the type of team we'd just faced a couple nights prior. Statistically, winning another game on the Pistons' court wasn't in our favor.

We now know what needs to happen to take game 2. It'll be interesting seeing if the team can switch gears, execute, and get it done.

Unlike the Boston series, this is a series where I don't think the Pacers can blink and not defend their own court. It would be very hard to get 2 games on the Pistons' homecourt. We need to defend our own court and just try to get one of the games at Detroit. It would be nice to get it out of the way Wed night

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

It wasn't a prime number game (not for this series anyway) so that's still good.

The problem with the prime number theory is; Does it count for the number of a game in a series or total playoff games?

If it's in a series, you'll win 4-3 again. But I'm afraid the numbers aggregate from one series to the next which means you'll lose, 4-1, winning only game 4 (playoff game 11).
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo

All joking aside, the Pacers were able to get a lot of good looks at the basket.

They had nearly the same amount of open looks as in Game 7 against Boston, they just missed them this time. The Pistons played the passing lanes very well but the Pacers shot themselves in the foot (offensively) more than anything the Pistons did.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

What in the world is everyone so upset about ?? Did anyone think we would sweep the Pistons. This is one game and one game only.

I have seen many predictions from Pistons winning in 4 to Indy winning in 7. Where does it say that losing game 1 ends the series. Suffering the 4th loss ends the series.

Since moral victories are for moral people, I don't put much credence in them. A 1 point loss or a 30 point loss counts the same. 1 loss.

We may get swept but it still takes 4 games to do it, not 1.

Relax and remember " The Pacers lost last night but damn if the sun didn't come up again this morning. What can you make of that ??

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Graywolf_59

Fatigue played a factor in Game 1-----We will play alot better from here on out.....!?4 some reason this (Team) seem's to play better with it's back to the wall?!Rest is what we need right now.....a walk thru today and back to your room's is best right now=== Rest Rest Rest!

One game off between every game is a pretty fair amount of rest for an NBA team. It beats the regular season with back-to-backs fairly frequently - sometimes with a 6-hour flight stuck in the middle of it.

I don't see fatigue being much of a factor. The Pacers are deep and Detroit is, IMO, the most well-conditioned team in the playoffs though their bench is a tad short.

And with these two teams it isn't like you need a practice - they know each other very well and neither team's gonna change their style of play at this point.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck
    W
    Since moral victories are for moral people, I don't put much credence in them. A 1 point loss or a 30 point loss counts the same. 1 loss.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One positive that came out of game 1 was the ability of tinsley and Jax to penetrate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44
    One positive that came out of game 1 was the ability of tinsley and Jax to penetrate.
    I thought of 2 positives.

1. We lost the first game in Boston the same way and ended up winning the series. Grant you Boston is not Detroit.

2. We had many open shots and just missed this game could have easily been won with a fresher team.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

The loss in game 1 is a positive for Pacer Digest.

Has anyone noticed after a loss, there are more posters, arm-chair coaches and opinions than after a win.

This place is a virtual beehive of activity.

WEST

Has anyone noticed after a loss, there are more posters, arm-chair coaches and opinions than after a win.

I hope there aren't many posters on Thursady then. Cuz that would mean we won!

I hope there aren't many posters on Thursady then. Cuz that would mean we won!

I am with you !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    All joking aside, the Pacers were able to get a lot of good looks at the basket.

They had nearly the same amount of open looks as in Game 7 against Boston, they just missed them this time. The Pistons played the passing lanes very well but the Pacers shot themselves in the foot (offensively) more than anything the Pistons did.
    A great point. Until the end, I never felt that game was out of reach.

We can do this. I don't fear Detroit.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even *I'm* not crabby enough to second-guess playoff wins.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Even *I'm* not crabby enough to second-guess playoff wins.

pb777

3 positives

1. It's over
    2. It was on TNT high-def which looks remarkable on my screen!
    3. We got all the bad shooting out of our systems...

Quote Originally Posted by pb777
    3 positives

1. It's over
    amen

2. It was on TNT high-def which looks remarkable on my screen!
    There's nothing like owning a 53" High Def TV and knowing the Pacers game is broadcast in HD on a channel that for whatever reason is unavailable to me (In this case Directv doesn't offer TNT HD) Grrrrrrrrrrr

(At least I can get regular TNT from Directv)

3. We got all the bad shooting out of our systems...
    Not only that but maybe the Pistons can 'catch' the bad shooting 'bug' themselves now.

-Bball "Directv, please bring more HDTV options ASAP!"

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

pb777

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    There's nothing like owning a 53" High Def TV and knowing the Pacers game is broadcast in HD on a channel that for whatever reason is unavailable to me (In this case Directv doesn't offer TNT HD) Grrrrrrrrrrr

(At least I can get regular TNT from Directv)

-Bball "Directv, please bring more HDTV options ASAP!"
    Man - that how I feel about ESPN high def. I know it's out there but it's not offered by my cable provider. There are only 20 or so high def channels offered, the coolest in the discovery. If you ever wanna show your screen off, put it on discovery high def, you and your guests will be amazed!

I was pleasantly surprised to find TNT-HD added to Comcast a couple of weeks ago. Not exactly sure when it was added, but I give it a big .

As PB mentioned in the other thread, the only problem is good old fashioned AM beats HD to my house by a couple of seconds, so Mark and Slick aren't in sync. I stuck with them though. A minor annoyance to be able to enjoy both a pristine picture and the best announcers......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I was pleasantly surprised to find TNT-HD added to Comcast a couple of weeks ago. Not exactly sure when it was added, but I give it a big .

As PB mentioned in the other thread, the only problem is good old fashioned AM beats HD to my house by a couple of seconds, so Mark and Slick aren't in sync. I stuck with them though. A minor annoyance to be able to enjoy both a pristine picture and the best announcers......
    Read the other thread for a couple of possible solutions... depending on how much effort you want to go to and what equip might be available to you.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I caught Game 2 @ BOS on TNT-HD via my brother-in-law's 60" HDTV. TNT has terrific HD.