Thread: Is this team Bi-Polar or what?

Default Is this team Bi-Polar or what?

Yes, I realize that Detroit is a good defensive basketball team. And, I realize that all teams go through streaks and droughts....

But... when we can't hit... we can't hit.

I mean, you know that JO is going to miss a point blank range shot on a night like this. We can have 7 wide open 3-pt. shots and watch them all painfully glance off of the rim. It was just awful to watch, but strangely enough I'm not all that upset.

The reason I'm not upset is that this team has trained me to expect a complete thrashing... one way or the other. What I have not come to expect is any type of a consistent effort.

We are consistently inconsistent.

Default Re: Is this team Bi-Polar or what?

I've never seen a team so consistently miss wide open jumpshots. The Pacers are the easiest team to defend left in the playoffs. You can leave their guards pretty much wide open with no recourse. There's also no team that fails to take advantage of opportunity so consistently. How many FT's did Detroit miss in the third quarter? And yet the Pacers couldn't even make up a single point - in fact I think they were further in the hole after the quarter ended than when it began.

Of course, after what happened in the first round you can't count this team out completely. But, unlike Boston, the Pistons will not constantly shoot themselves in the foot (feet?). They're much more composed and we can't count on them to make scads of boneheaded errors like the Celts did. I still think they'll be able to take one though.

IndyToad
    Now give me my five dollars

And next year, we will be getting yet another streaky player on offense back.

I can hardly wait.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

I really wish we had one guy who could consistently hit shots. Just one. We have none.

This teams' shooting ability is so opposite of the 2000 team it's a bit sickening. Very frustrating.

If we ever win a title, it probably won't be until we find a team that has more of the offense like the 2000 team (though hopefully still with some post scoring), and the defense this team is usually capable of playing. I don't think I've ever seen us have both.

Re: Is this team Bi-Polar or what?

I noticed David Harrison had an earring in his right ear.... if that means anything...

Oh wait... Bi polar.... nevermind...

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really wish we had one guy who could consistently hit shots. Just one. We have none.

This teams' shooting ability is so opposite of the 2000 team it's a bit sickening. Very frustrating.

If we ever win a title, it probably won't be until we find a team that has more of the offense like the 2000 team (though hopefully still with some post scoring), and the defense this team is usually capable of playing. I don't think I've ever seen us have both.
    It's funny, but as much as I know that defense wins championships, I so long for a player who has some instant offense. I'd love to have a player like a Ricky Davis to come off the bench and score in bunches. Heck, I'd kill for Steve Kerr to put on a uniform. He certainly is a better ball player than an announcer. He was so one-sided tonight it was nauseating.

To say the Pacers got ghost fouls tonight was comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Re: Is this team Bi-Polar or what?

I noticed David Harrison had an earring in his right ear.... if that means anything...

Oh wait... Bi polar.... nevermind...

-Bball

... not that there is anything wrong with that.

Anybody have a marble rye?

Sports Logo

I have said this before and I will say it again. GIVE JAMES JONES ALL OF FRED JONES SHOTS.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    It's funny, but as much as I know that defense wins championships, I so long for a player who has some instant offense. I'd love to have a player like a Ricky Davis to come off the bench and score in bunches. Heck, I'd kill for Steve Kerr to put on a uniform. He certainly is a better ball player than an announcer. He was so one-sided tonight it was nauseating.

To say the Pacers got ghost fouls tonight was comical.
    I suppose one positive thought is that when healthy, Fred Jones can be a Ricky Davis off the bench for us. Not quite the lethal shooter, but his 3-ball was becoming quite a weapon this season, and I only expect him to keep working on his shooting this summer. Hopefully a midrange shot this time. That with his driving ability (the broken knuckle seems to have messed up his ball control in the air as well) should provide a consistant punch off of the bench next year.

If James Jones can keep improving, he and Fred together might be enough, but I'd still feel better with a true "microwave" offensive player added to the mix, rather than a ton of streak shooters.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    I've never seen a team so consistently miss wide open jumpshots. The Pacers are the easiest team to defend left in the playoffs. You can leave their guards pretty much wide open with no recourse. There's also no team that fails to take advantage of opportunity so consistently. How many FT's did Detroit miss in the third quarter? And yet the Pacers couldn't even make up a single point - in fact I think they were further in the hole after the quarter ended than when it began.

Of course, after what happened in the first round you can't count this team out completely. But, unlike Boston, the Pistons will not constantly shoot themselves in the foot (feet?). They're much more composed and we can't count on them to make scads of boneheaded errors like the Celts did. I still think they'll be able to take one though.

IndyToad
    Now give me my five dollars
    Indytoad? Is that you? Or is this another hijacking?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I suppose one positive thought is that when healthy, Fred Jones can be a Ricky Davis off the bench for us. Not quite the lethal shooter, but his 3-ball was becoming quite a weapon this season, and I only expect him to keep working on his shooting this summer. Hopefully a midrange shot this time. That with his driving ability (the broken knuckle seems to have messed up his ball control in the air as well) should provide a consistant punch off of the bench next year.

If James Jones can keep improving, he and Fred together might be enough, but I'd still feel better with a true "microwave" offensive player added to the mix, rather than a ton of streak shooters.
    Hey... here's an idea...
    Maybe the team should gamble the last roster spot on a hot shooter (even if he does have liabilities) instead of ill prepared 7' white kids that Carlisle is afraid to play even if he's the only option... Just a thought..

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    And next year, we will be getting yet another streaky player on offense back.

I can hardly wait.
    I some how wish we could get that 20 ppg,best defensive player in the NBA, right now. I dont give a damn how streaky he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Indytoad? Is that you? Or is this another hijacking?
    It's my special double-reverse jinx. Shags must be thwarted.

IndyToad
    Is friend with the Human Pudding

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Hey... here's an idea...
    Maybe the team should gamble the last roster spot on a hot shooter (even if he does have liabilities) instead of ill prepared 7' white kids that Carlisle is afraid to play even if he's the only option... Just a thought..

-Bball

I get the feeling something like that flies in the face of Donnie's religon.

Quote Originally Posted by God
    Thou 15th man must be useless, yet tall.

pb777

I feel you Hicks - a consistant shooter would be a tremendous lift. But who is "consistant" really? Rip, ray allen, bron? To a certain degree everyone is streaky. And everyone has bad nights. Tonight just happened to be a bad shooting night for most of our guys, and a good shooting night for most of theirs.

SoupisGood, it should be "Thy" not "Thou." Get it straight!

Bedevere: Three, sir!
    Arthur: Three!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    SoupisGood, it should be "Thy" not "Thou." Get it straight!

Bedevere: Three, sir!
    Arthur: Three!
    D'oh.

I had started it correctly, but didn't change the thou once I scrambled thee wording. Oh well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey we could sign Glenn Robinson! I read today that he is even playing some defense now. He can still stroke it like no one's buisness.