Thread: Why must they bring up Steve Alford?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Why must they bring up Steve Alford?

I know this has been mentioned on here several times.

Why do the announcers bring Steve Alford up every game? They act as if the Pacers went out on a limb by selecting Reggie over him in 1987. I was born in 1987(never been alive in a season where Reggie wasn't a Pacer), so I obviously have no memory of this, but Steve Alford wasn't selected in the first round for a reason. He was drafted in the second round because that's where he belonged.

The only people that wanted Alford were dumb IU fans high off of a national championship. Anyone who paid attention to the NBA in 1987 knew that Alford wasn't a first round draft caliber player. Could the Pacers have drafted other players over Reggie? Of course, but had Donnie drafted Alford, he would have deserved to been fired on the spot.

Alford fits the classic mode of a player that can shine at the college level, but doesn't have what it takes to be a star in the NBA(I.E. Damon Bailey).

Default Re: Why must they bring up Steve Alford?

although i believe alford could have had a successful nba career on par with a guy like steve kerr, i didn't know who reggie was but still didn't want them to take alford just because he was the hometown hero. i think that whole thing has been severely overplayed by some segments of the media because they want to make the state look stupid.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Alford was a better player than Bailey was. I agre that if he could or wanted to have bounced around like Kerr did until he got in the right system he could have done ok. He wasn't as good an all around player that Kerr was though.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrog
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    although i believe alford could have had a successful nba career on par with a guy like steve kerr, i didn't know who reggie was but still didn't want them to take alford just because he was the hometown hero. i think that whole thing has been severely overplayed by some segments of the media because they want to make the state look stupid.
    It's easy to make the state look stupid when everybody at the draft booed when we picked Reggie. TV can talk about it all they want if they will just stop showing the brawl.