Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the Pacers strengths?

Default Re: What are the Pacers strengths?

[size=18:6518e6d69b]I will add that Brad Millerrrrrrrrrr ...no wait.... that wasn't what I was going to say. I got sidetracked

Seriously, what I want to add is how well Carlisle manages the games. Besides his use of TO's he is consistent with his bench. You can argue that might make a game here or there harder to win... or arguable why we lost it. OTOH, IMHO this consistency is for the long haul and long term health of the team. Every game is not a playoff game. Throwing the kitchen sink at a meaningless midseason game hoping to pull out one lone win is sacrficing the longer term goals.

I think it is far better the players know their roles and what is expected. If they got torched in a game it is something they and the coaching staff can learn from and adjust accordingly WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK of the long term plans.

Isiah IMO tried to turn every game into a chess match. Many times he outguessed himself. I'm sure he also planted seeds of doubt in players' minds. Did Isiah ever really try to make the other team adjust to what the Pacers' were doing or did he always seem to be countering their moves?

-Bball
    I knew Isiah was awful and everything, but I've got two more points:

(1) Last summer, even though I thought he had clearly earned the title "Worst Coach in Pacers history", I didn't realize just how horrible he was, because:

(2) Rick has had great success by doing the exact opposite of everything Isiah did. "The Quick" vs. a structured offense. True man-to-man defense with no "help" structure vs. team defense. Stream of consciousness substitutions vs. fairly set rotations. Makes excuses for the team vs. requires discipline from the players. The "chess match" as bball called it vs. forcing opponents adjust to our gameplan. Tries to make every player a "complete" player vs. defining each player's role. Etc.

Its almost like every time Rick has to make a decision, he thinks to himself "What would Isiah do?" Then he picks the exact opposite and it works

I don't have much to add to these two posts, except to say they are both brilliant.

Rick should be ashamed for making Isiah look bad because he truly has[/size].

Rick has had great success by doing the exact opposite of everything Isiah did. "The Quick" vs. a structured offense. True man-to-man defense with no "help" structure vs. team defense. Stream of consciousness substitutions vs. fairly set rotations. Makes excuses for the team vs. requires discipline from the players. The "chess match" as bball called it vs. forcing opponents adjust to our gameplan. Tries to make every player a "complete" player vs. defining each player's role.

Bravo. Best summation I've read to date of the differences between Rick and Isiah (this year vs. last year).

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BUMP.

Certain people today are compaining, and I'm not saying they aren't somewhat justified in doing so... about the negativity around here.

But this thread, which clearly is specifically for the purpose of saying nice things about the Pacers, has been completely ignored all week and with the exception of Burt, most of the posts have come from the "The Sky is Falling" camp or a few posters that I haven't figured out if they belong to either "camp."

C'mon, FW, Hardrive7, NY, and others: Tell us some more strengths. We've got some smart posters who are on the Sunshine Brigade. Here's your opporunity to do something about it - be positive about the Pacers instead of just complaining about the negativity. If I, the worry-wart, could probably come up with ten more then there's plenty of opportunities to expand this thread and still not turn this place into "HomersDigest".
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I'm not exactly on the sunshine brigade, but I am NOT a negative person. I think this is a very special team that we have here, and we have a chance to do something real good in the playoffs. We are 48-16 for a reason.

I think the biggest strength this year is that we win ALL TYPES of games. We win the blowouts, the close ones, the come from behinds. We just find ways to win. I think that says a lot about this team and how mature it is. No matter the situation. On the road, at home, against bad teams, against good teams.

This is why we go to the finals.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.