Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the Pacers strengths?

Default What are the Pacers strengths?

Since there are some who think we are all depressed, angry fans who just want to harp on the P's, here is a thread of what you think the Pacers strengths are, and how it will enable them to go far in the playoffs.

Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: What are the Pacers strengths?

2 words - rick carlisle

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Here's ten, just as a starting point.

(1) Jermaine O'Neal's consistent post dominance at both ends of the court.

(2) A coaching staff that has installed a system to maximize the strenghts of our roster. Our weaknesses, and we have plenty, are only occasionally exploited in ways that cause us to lose games.

(3) JO and Ron continue to evolve as two of the best young clutch-time performers. Both players can create opportunities at both ends of the court.

(4) Ron Arest and Al Harrington never quit at the forward position. Both players are equally effective at offense and defense.

(5) Larry Bird and Rick Carlisle bring a no-nonsense, disciplined approach to team basketball.

(6) Jamaal Tinsely's maturity and court vision have improved to complement his outstanding court game, instead of distract from it.

(7) In a pinch, Reggie can still deliver.

(8) Our role players (Foster, Fred, Croshere) understand what they need to do to help the team. Because of our system (see #2 above) our key players put them in situations to perform their roles instead of situations to expose thier weaknesses.

(9) Our defensive intensity has helped us assemble the best road record in the league. We're as competitive on the road as we are at home.

(10) Our fans are very hungry for some playoff success after a long drought. Conseco Fieldhouse will provide a significant home court advantage once this team proves it can get past the first round.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

very well said, Jay.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I think our versitility and having so many players capable of playing different positions is a strength that sets us apart from other teams. We have a roster which is very conductive to creating mismatches.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Very well put. Of course, the most significant strength lies in the support of the members of Pacers Digest!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I think our versitility and having so many players capable of playing different positions is a strength that sets us apart from other teams. We have a roster which is very conductive to creating mismatches.
    Agreed...our depth is nice... I think alot of teams under-estimate the athleticism we have...which we don't make enough use of.

Defense is a strength... some stats.... were 2nd Opp. PPG at 85.15.... 8th in Opp. FG% at .427, 3rd in Opp 3pt% at .323....

We tend to come out in the 1st and 3rd quarters strong...with good energy which is key... but we need to close out quarters and games more effciently... get that killer instinct.

I think the team has good chemistry and comroderie....everyone looks out for each other.

I think the team shows good resiliency...though there is a weakness for putting teams away....we seem to be able to pull things together when absolutely necessary... along with that we have several options to go to when the game is in the balance...JO, Artest, Reg, I'd throw Al in there as well.

Jay has a very good handle on this.

I think the Pacers are the best coached team in the NBA. When I watch non-Pacers games, I am amazed at how bad most team's shot selection is.

Pacers players know exactly what they are supposed to be doing at all times, there is very little indecision.

Pacers are very good at the end of close games. They know where the ball is going and who can deliver. I consider the Pacers to have three clutch players, J.O., Ronnie, Reggie, Tinsley and AL are not too far off either. Tinsley is as mentally tough as anyone and taking a big shot does not bother him.

Overall the Pacers: play hard yet under control, they play together, they play to win, they have players who are very competitive, very competitive, they are confident

Jay's post sums it up well. Very eloquent. But I have a question for a lot of the fans here.

First, let me preface my question by saying that my knowledge of the game pales in comparison to posters like Jay, Peck, UB, etc.. So I'm curious, why didn't a lot of you more knowledgable fans see this season coming after Carlisle was hired and before it started?

I did. And you know Carlisle did—you know he had to feel like a kid in a candy store coming here. All of the strengths Jay listed—although I would never have been able to articulate them as well as he did—were very apparent to me before anyone on this team even put on a game jersey.

I know the spectre of last season's collapse loomed heavily here (and still does), and then we lost Brad, but I felt once Carlisle took over, everything that was unique and great about this team was going to be exploited and maximized in a way Isiah never could.

Also, I never saw the loss of Brad as being a huge factor in the success or failure of this team. I just didn't. Going into this season, I just felt there was something special here.

Look at the 10 points Jay listed again and ask yourself if these things weren't readily apparent to you before the start of the season. I think you'll find that they were.

Sports Logo

Yes they were to an extent. There were a lot of questions as to how we would adjust to not having Brad.

Artest was a major question mark coming into the season because the last thing we saw of him he was being pushed into the locker room by an assistant coach.

Plus the Pacers had just hired a no nonsense guy to run the operation who no one expected to put up with that kind of crap.(and he wont)

I dont think anyone questioned Rick as a coach or that we would do well under him. The day Rick was hired there were polls about how many games we would win and that we expected to at least get to the ECF. This was the day he was hired not once we were into the season.

I posted at the time that at least now I thought we would make the finals but loose to the west team because we lost our Center.

Go back and look at the Celtics series box score for the Pacers

Game 1

Tinsley 4reb 9assists 14points

Reggie 4assist 13 points

Jermaine 9rb 3 blocks 24 points

Ron 4rb 4steals 26 points

Brad 8rb 6assists 1 steal 12 points

Now we lost that game. Think about our team this year do you think for one minute that if our starters scored that much we would loose with Rick at the helm?

We scored 100 points and lost. I know there were people who think it was Jamaal or Brad's fault but it wasnt it was all Isiah. No way in h3ll we would loose that game today.

Sports Logo

Game 4

Tinsley 13 assists 2 steals 11pts

Jermaine 19 rebounds 5 bs 25pts

Brad 9 rebounds 21 points (I thought Brad was inefective?)

Ron 9 points 4 steals

Reggie was inefective 3 points

But Mercer scored 12 with 2 steals.

Once again we would have won that game with Rick This was a loss

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hmmmmmmm

I hope I'm not classed in that half-empty group because I am very high on the P's.

But I do see weaknesses and how we can be exploited and I comment on them. (Did Bob Knight ever see a play run to perfection?)

I see good and I want better. When I see the tropy in a case at Conseco I will be happy.

In the meantime...very resilient team...very deep team...very talented team....very well coached/managed team. THEY ARE A TEAM and they are young and gonna be around here for a LOOONG time They have the best facility in the league and their prices are manageable.

[size=9:4b3fbded00]kumbahyaa my lord...kumbahyaa.......let's all join hands and sing together [/size]
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Brad 9 rebounds 21 points (I thought Brad was inefective?)
    I'm a big Brad Miller fan, but you are ignoring some facts.

Here are ALL his numbers during that series, and the averages (I'm going with points, rebounds, assists):

Game 1: 12pts, 8rbs, 6ast
    Game 2: 10pts, 4rbs, 5ast
    Game 3: 7pts, 9rbs, 2ast
    Game 4: 21pts, 9rbs, 2ast
    Game 5: 0pts, 1rb, 0ast
    Game 6: 2pts, 2rb, 0ast

Averages: 8.7pts, 5.5rbs, 2.5ast

I will add that Brad Millerrrrrrrrrr ...no wait.... that wasn't what I was going to say. I got sidetracked

Seriously, what I want to add is how well Carlisle manages the games. Besides his use of TO's he is consistent with his bench. You can argue that might make a game here or there harder to win... or arguable why we lost it. OTOH, IMHO this consistency is for the long haul and long term health of the team. Every game is not a playoff game. Throwing the kitchen sink at a meaningless midseason game hoping to pull out one lone win is sacrficing the longer term goals.

I think it is far better the players know their roles and what is expected. If they got torched in a game it is something they and the coaching staff can learn from and adjust accordingly WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK of the long term plans.

Isiah IMO tried to turn every game into a chess match. Many times he outguessed himself. I'm sure he also planted seeds of doubt in players' minds. Did Isiah ever really try to make the other team adjust to what the Pacers' were doing or did he always seem to be countering their moves?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Here are ALL his numbers during that series, and the averages (I'm going with points, rebounds, assists):

I was not trying to ignore any facts. I was using two games that we lost to point out that we would have won those games today with that scoring and the D we play now.

Brad re injured his foot in game 5 and only played 11 minutes. He was efective the first 4 games of the series. In game six he only played for 14 minutes and he was very hampered by the injury.

So for the games before re injuring his foot he played very well.

Game 1 3 of 6 from the feild 6 of 8 from the line 8 rebounds and SIX assists with 12 points in 26 minutes

Game 2 5 of 8 from the feild only 4 rebounds 5 assists and 2 steals in 29 minutes.

This is the game that Isiah actually played Cro at center and he got 8 rebounds.

Game 3 2 of 7 from the feild 3 of 4 from the line 9 rebounds in 20 minutes.

Game 4 Played 36 minutes in this game was 8 of 13 from the feild 5 of 8 from the line with 9 rebounds and 21 points.

How is that inefective? He was when he was injured but so was Reggie. We lost because of Isiah not because of Brad.

Jay's post sums it up well. Very eloquent. But I have a question for a lot of the fans here.

First, let me preface my question by saying that my knowledge of the game pales in comparison to posters like Jay, Peck, UB, etc.. So I'm curious, why didn't a lot of you more knowledgable fans see this season coming after Carlisle was hired and before it started?

I did. And you know Carlisle did—you know he had to feel like a kid in a candy store coming here. All of the strengths Jay listed—although I would never have been able to articulate them as well as he did—were very apparent to me before anyone on this team even put on a game jersey.

I know the spectre of last season's collapse loomed heavily here (and still does), and then we lost Brad, but I felt once Carlisle took over, everything that was unique and great about this team was going to be exploited and maximized in a way Isiah never could.

Also, I never saw the loss of Brad as being a huge factor in the success or failure of this team. I just didn't. Going into this season, I just felt there was something special here.

Look at the 10 points Jay listed again and ask yourself if these things weren't readily apparent to you before the start of the season. I think you'll find that they were.
    I will happily admit that my pre-season analysis and predictions were wrong. Thank goodness for the "fire" - none of you can go back and read what I said back then. But I'll own up it to it: When Carlisle was hired I raised my prediction to 40-42. I think its safe to say now that the Pacers will exceed 40 wins.

I've got to make this brief - utilization is really important around here right now. Work > . But here's my re-cap of my off-season analysis of strengths and weaknesses, and where this team proven me wrong.

This was a team that won 13 of its last 36 (36% winning percentage) to finish off last year. Some of these strengths were evident, and others were not. But the weaknesses and concerns were much broader.

Some of you may remember that I was very concerned with chemistry - in particular the chemistry between JO, Ron and Al. JO's leadership and reaching out to Ron, which began over the summer out of the public eye - has been tremendously important in this turnaround. Early in the season, the frontcourt combination of Ron, Al and JO was not an effective unit and its taken some time.

I thought the late-summer coaching change would mean that Carlisle would still be trying to design the right system even after the regular season started, so I predicted a slow start. Instead, we went 14-2 out of the gate when I thought we'd be waaayy under 0.500 through 15 games.

We had only seen one dimension of Tinsley's game under Isiah. I've always liked Jamaal but I thought there was no way Rick would ever like him/ play him. But when Jamaal got a chance he showed his game had much more depth than I previously believed. And Rick showed more flexibility in coaching than most thought was possible.

While Ragner and Peck were b!tc#ing about losing Brad Miller in the trade, I was saying something slightly different. I was okay with Brad walking to Denver or Utah, but I really didn't want to add Pollard to the mix. Thank goodness his stint as the starting center only lasted two games.

I expected at least one or two trades this season once Bird got his hands around the team - with a glut of forwards and some chemistry problems, I thought some guys would be playing with one foot out-the-door. Therefore, I expected some adjustment period early in the season when more new players came in. Obviously this didn't happen.

Point-by-point:

(1) Jermaine O'Neal's consistent post dominance at both ends of the court.
    I knew he was great, but he's elevated himself to pretty elite status this season.

(2) A coaching staff that has installed a system to maximize the strenghts of our roster. Our weaknesses, and we have plenty, are only occasionally exploited in ways that cause us to lose games.
    I knew the coaching would be better (how could it be worse?) But Rick had only been one place as a head coach and I don't think anybody knew just how good he was at designing a system around his players. It was popular wisdom (although obviously wrong) to believe Rick was going to install the exact same system here as he used in Detroit - because that's what other so-called "great" coaches like Brownie, Riley, Jackson and my man JVG have done. I usually think the role of a coach in the NBA is overstated - its a players game. But Rick has been nearly flawless this year.

(3) JO and Ron continue to evolve as two of the best young clutch-time performers. Both players can create opportunities at both ends of the court.
    JO was very clutch last seaon. Remember, he was second to Chauncey Billups in game-tying or lead-changing shots in the last two minutes. Ron occasionally demonstrated this, but not consistently - especially since he couldn't be counted on to be available at the end (or even beginning) of games.

(4) Ron Arest and Al Harrington never quit at the forward position. Both players are equally effective at offense and defense.
    Of course I knew this. The issue was whether either player could do this effectively in a "team" environment. I know some posters think the jury is still out regarding Al, but nine months ago this was a legit concern regarding Artest, too. Admittedly, a big factor in this concern was the lack-of-a-system from the previous regime, especially at the defensive end. I was curious as to how Artest would react to a defense that was more of a system than Isiah's "each man for himself" idea.

(5) Larry Bird and Rick Carlisle bring a no-nonsense, disciplined approach to team basketball.
    Again, this was obvious. But how this team, which could only be regarded as woefully immature, would respond was an unknown. I expected this to be a rockier adjustment than it really was - and there was still plenty of b!tc#ing from the players in November and December before Tinsley returned to the lineup. On the other hand, Ron was taught his lesson in the first preseason game and he responded to this like a mature man.

(6) Jamaal Tinsely's maturity and court vision have improved to complement his outstanding court game, instead of distract from it.
    I suppose if I watched more semi-pro games involving Iowa State, I might have known this. But I didn't.

(7) In a pinch, Reggie can still deliver.
    He'd never really been hurt before. There were some legitimate questions as to whether he could recover enough at his age to still be a difference maker from time-to-time. And there were legit questions about how many minutes would he be able to handle this season without breaking down - especially since the backup SG position was very unclear over the summer.

(8) Our role players (Foster, Fred, Croshere) understand what they need to do to help the team. Because of our system (see #2 above) our key players put them in situations to perform their roles instead of situations to expose thier weaknesses.
    My response here is the same as #2 above.

(9) Our defensive intensity has helped us assemble the best road record in the league. We're as competitive on the road as we are at home.
    Ditto.

(10) Our fans are very hungry for some playoff success after a long drought. Conseco Fieldhouse will provide a significant home court advantage once this team proves it can get past the first round.
    I don't think there's any question about this one. All NBA arenas are quiet during the regular season. I can't wait to be in there for some playoff games that matter this spring.

So yes, some of these things were obvious, but others became more obvious to me as I learned more about our coach and learned some things about some of our younger players like Jamaal.

Sports Logo

While Ragner and Peck were b!tc#ing about losing Brad Miller in the trade, I was saying something slightly different. I was okay with Brad walking to Denver or Utah, but I really didn't want to add Pollard to the mix. Thank goodness his stint as the starting center only lasted two games.
    I also would have prefered to let him walk over getting Pollard. Actually of the three options open to the Pacers they chose the worst option here.

I did not really "go nuts" over the Brad deal untill people started saying the Pollard would make us forget about Brad. (and dont try to deny that people said that) Or that he would not have been worth the 70 million he got. Brad stated that he would not have shoped at all had the Pacers simply made him an offer. He was offered less money than the 70 mill by Denver and Utah and he clearly stated then that he would take that or less to stay with the Pacers.

The thing that p!ssed me off the most was not that we lost Brad it was the revisions in here after the fact.

Mood

I was not trying to ignore any facts. I was using two games that we lost to point out that we would have won those games today with that scoring and the D we play now.

Brad re injured his foot in game 5 and only played 11 minutes. He was efective the first 4 games of the series. In game six he only played for 14 minutes and he was very hampered by the injury.

So for the games before re injuring his foot he played very well.

Game 1 3 of 6 from the feild 6 of 8 from the line 8 rebounds and SIX assists with 12 points in 26 minutes

Game 2 5 of 8 from the feild only 4 rebounds 5 assists and 2 steals in 29 minutes.

This is the game that Isiah actually played Cro at center and he got 8 rebounds.

Game 3 2 of 7 from the feild 3 of 4 from the line 9 rebounds in 20 minutes.

Game 4 Played 36 minutes in this game was 8 of 13 from the feild 5 of 8 from the line with 9 rebounds and 21 points.

How is that inefective? He was when he was injured but so was Reggie. We lost because of Isiah not because of Brad.
    Agreed. I totally forgot that he re-injured the foot in the series.

I did not really "go nuts" over the Brad deal untill people started saying the Pollard would make us forget about Brad. (and dont try to deny that people said that)
    At one point in the summer or preseason, I said "Pollard is this era's G. Dreiling or S. Gray" and I got chewed up for it. "He'll be good enough in the center-deprived East." was the popular opinion ed:

I also would have prefered to let him walk over getting Pollard. Actually of the three options open to the Pacers they chose the worst option here.

I did not really "go nuts" over the Brad deal untill people started saying the Pollard would make us forget about Brad. (and dont try to deny that people said that) Or that he would not have been worth the 70 million he got. Brad stated that he would not have shoped at all had the Pacers simply made him an offer. He was offered less money than the 70 mill by Denver and Utah and he clearly stated then that he would take that or less to stay with the Pacers.

The thing that p!ssed me off the most was not that we lost Brad it was the revisions in here after the fact.

I feel like we're in the Twilight Zone here. We keep going down different paths, but keep winding up in the same place.

So I'm curious, why didn't a lot of you more knowledgable fans see this season coming after Carlisle was hired and before it started?
    A lot of us saw the Pacers being able to play this well by this point of the season. What was harder to imagine was that they would START OFF playing this well, and the Carlisle system would be effective IMMEDIATELY with NO adjustment period.

I predicted about 50 wins, by stating that they would start off going 21-20 or so while they learned the system in the 1st half and then really crank and go 31-10 or so in the second half.

Well, that 31-10 pace seems to be about right, but for BOTH halves.

62-20 would be incredible, but reflects playing as well from start-to-finish as I and quite a few others EXPECTED them to play at the finish.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I feel like we're in the Twilight Zone here. We keep going down different paths, but keep winding up in the same place.
    btown, what's the number here? But this is also why I tend to stay out of this particular conversation because I didn't mind subtracting Brad.

Anyone object if we get back on topic?

I will add that Brad Millerrrrrrrrrr ...no wait.... that wasn't what I was going to say. I got sidetracked

Seriously, what I want to add is how well Carlisle manages the games. Besides his use of TO's he is consistent with his bench. You can argue that might make a game here or there harder to win... or arguable why we lost it. OTOH, IMHO this consistency is for the long haul and long term health of the team. Every game is not a playoff game. Throwing the kitchen sink at a meaningless midseason game hoping to pull out one lone win is sacrficing the longer term goals.

I think it is far better the players know their roles and what is expected. If they got torched in a game it is something they and the coaching staff can learn from and adjust accordingly WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK of the long term plans.

Isiah IMO tried to turn every game into a chess match. Many times he outguessed himself. I'm sure he also planted seeds of doubt in players' minds. Did Isiah ever really try to make the other team adjust to what the Pacers' were doing or did he always seem to be countering their moves?

-Bball
    I knew Isiah was awful and everything, but I've got two more points:

(1) Last summer, even though I thought he had clearly earned the title "Worst Coach in Pacers history", I didn't realize just how horrible he was, because:

(2) Rick has had great success by doing the exact opposite of everything Isiah did. "The Quick" vs. a structured offense. True man-to-man defense with no "help" structure vs. team defense. Stream of consciousness substitutions vs. fairly set rotations. Makes excuses for the team vs. requires discipline from the players. The "chess match" as bball called it vs. forcing opponents adjust to our gameplan. Tries to make every player a "complete" player vs. defining each player's role. Etc.

Its almost like every time Rick has to make a decision, he thinks to himself "What would Isiah do?" Then he picks the exact opposite and it works.

I predicted before ther season started that the Pacers would win 50 games. I figured that the Pacers might be .500 midway through January, after that very tough stretch in early January. But when they were 14-2, I upgraded my prediction to 57 wins as it was obvious that we had something special here.

The day Isiah was fired and it was 99.9% sure that Carlisle was going to be the next coach was the best day for the Pacers franchise since the Jalen Rose for Artest trade.

strength is that the 2004 Pacers are one of the greatest teams this city has ever had, and they had alot of em.

1 Reggie Miller. no need to say anything
    2. JO best big man post player in the EAST
    3. Ron Artest. Best defender at his position in the game, and a great powerdriver, heart and soul of the Ps
    4. Al Harrington is Zack Randolf with a great team, if he was the focal point of the offense like Zack is (portlands franchise player) he would put up the same type of #s
    5. Jonathan Bender, makes our bench arguably the most talented bench in basketball
    6. Jamaal Tinsley, turning into a premier PG this year. Next year he will be talked about as one of the best
    7. Fred Jones, more amazing bench talent. very crucial to the playoffs with his off the dribble ability
    8. Jeff Foster, Jeff is the man, hustles like Artest, can do a great job on big SFs and PFs
    9 Croshere, our worst player in the rotation is a damn fine player, great bench
    9 pollard, well, 6 fouls for shaq if we meet them in the finals

this all adds up to a legendary team, and the begining of the Pacers Dynasty. Cause these guys arent going anywhere for a while.

oh ya forgot the coach too Ricks done a great job with these guys gettin em focused throughout the season, I thought the las vegas trip was a good idea too. I see how Rick has given more freedom to Tinsley in making streetball plays happen when the chance arrives before going into the ol run in circles bit with reggie screens and JO post pass thing, what do they call that play?

So does this mean im still in the happy happy sunshine club?