Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird Thanks You; 11 AM Press Conference Link

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Bird Thanks You; 11 AM Press Conference Link

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arguably the best team we've had in recent memory had Lance starting, I don't know why it's such a bad thing to have him start now.
    Different players around him? Determination that sixth man is a better use for him both team-wise and personally?

I mean, arguably the best team we've had in recent memory had Roy Hibbert starting. Should we bring him back?
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I would be fine with George Hill coming back and even starting alongside Teague, but I feel like a lot of damage control would have to be done since we essentially threw him under the bus to get Teague. He could definitely help with retaining Paul George. However, it did seem to me like Lance and Hill's relationship was a little frosty? But maybe that was just me.
    Teague and GHill would be too small of a back court. If we bring back both GHill and Teague, GHill should be coming off the bench like he did in San Antonio...and he wouldn't like that here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Teague and GHill would be too small of a back court. If we bring back both GHill and Teague, GHill should be coming off the bench like he did in San Antonio...and he wouldn't like that here.
    Meh. I like a Teague and Hill backcourt defensively more than I like a Teague and Lance. I also think the top teams in the East have backcourts that aren't that big: Cavs, Celtics, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Because he is most effective coming off the bench.
    He nearly made an all-star team starting last time he was here.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Different players around him? Determination that sixth man is a better use for him both team-wise and personally?

I mean, arguably the best team we've had in recent memory had Roy Hibbert starting. Should we bring him back?
    Roy Hibbert hasn't played at a high level or even consistently in a long time. Lance played at a high level when he was brought back here.

I agree you need to look at the players around him, but we don't even know what the team is going to look like next season so it's tough to say he needs to start/come off the bench isn't it?

Kevin's interview with Dan Dakich (the Joe Young part made me puke)

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/dan-...ens-dan-dakich
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Words that caught my attention:

1) "Turner is a stretch 5"
    2) "We need toughness"
    3) "We need a size advantage at all positions"
    4) No mention of Monta Ellis
    5) Mention of Paul and Lance first and foremost as cornerstones, mentioned Myles and Young as well.
    6) No mention of CJM
    7) "Lance Stephenson is one of the best rebounding SG's in the NBA", "We need multiple ball handlers on the floor".
    I like most of what I'm hearing but especially #2 & #3. I'm sick of the small ball love as though it's the only way to win today. Very few teams have had real success playing small ball and shooting their way to a title. Our recent attempts at small ball should be used as an example of how not to build a team. I still think the best way to build a contender is with tough defense and you need size and physical players to do that. In an ideal world we could bring another big starting wing and another much, much bigger front court player next to Turner.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Larry doesn't have that kind of cash
    Larry Bird has the Indiana and NBA gravitas to put together that kind of investor group to have that kind of cash.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I hope not.
    Yup I genuinely hope Hill continues to flourish elsewhere also

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Milsap
    Why?
    Sittin on top of the world!

Honestly, I don't see why wouldn't want George Hill as an off-guard. He can shoot and play defense. Two of which are things that the Pacers haven't had enough of.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

If that's the case, why was Aaron Brooks getting minutes over him?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I like most of what I'm hearing but especially #2 & #3. I'm sick of the small ball love as though it's the only way to win today. Very few teams have had real success playing small ball and shooting their way to a title. Our recent attempts at small ball should be used as an example of how not to build a team. I still think the best way to build a contender is with tough defense and you need size and physical players to do that. In an ideal world we could bring another big starting wing and another much, much bigger front court player next to Turner.
    The Cavs played only 2 legitimate frontcourt players in last year's finals (Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson) and those two averaged only about 27.4 minutes a game each in the series. The Cavs played small a huge percentage of the time last year.

The Warriors the year before had Draymond play 37 minutes a game, but the four frontcourt players who split the minutes next to him played less than 30 minutes a game combined. They played small a huge percentage of the time.

The Spurs the year before that played Duncan 33 minutes a game, but other big men got less than 20 minutes a game combined. Boris Diaw who is a smallball four played much more of the minutes than a traditional big.

And then Miami the year before that played Bosh 34.3 minutes per game, but they played any other big only 21.4 minutes per game. They played small a huge percentage of the time.

I don't see how you can say small ball has had few teams with success when the last four NBA champions have used it as their primary strategy in the Finals. The Warriors probably played small the least out of those four teams, and still played small over half the time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

The KP interview with Dakich was great but had one very weird part. He praised by name Tyler Hansbrough and said how we missed a player like him more than anything. Then Dan just flat out asked him why they didn't bring him up. The 15 man roster came up. Then it sounded like Tyler had a standing invitation to camp this fall but then he made it sound like Tyler might not want to. I don't know, that whole part just seemed weird to me. However I say now what I've said all season long, cut LaVoy Allen and sign Tyler to the league min.

There is nothing Allen can do for us that Tyler can't and Tyler will bring that "game changing" hustle (KP's words not mine) to the court while we are checking LaVoy for a pulse.

Overall though it was music to my ears that he immediately talked about toughness and size. Both Owl and myself were nodding in agreement.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Why?
    He has a thing for players with bad knees.

Millsap had issues with his right knee before the season. He underwent a non-surgical preventative procedure to reduce swelling in his right knee and missed most of training camp in September. Millsap experienced swelling in workouts prior to camp before the decision to seek treatment.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...oURzK/amp.html
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Overall though it was music to my ears that he immediately talked about toughness and size. Both Owl and myself were nodding in agreement.
    Not only you two...

Ace A. PetP

Chorusline :

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

Don't draft a Plums!!!!!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Millsap on a 3 yr deal would be the best for both parties.

His final year would suck, but if it means buy in from Paul and some added toughness to the roster then I'm all for it.
    Pass. I'd rather have Mirotic. He can shoot and is bigger than Thad. He'll be cheaper also than Milsap... and he's much younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    The Cavs played only 2 legitimate frontcourt players in last year's finals (Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson) and those two averaged only about 27.4 minutes a game each in the series. The Cavs played small a huge percentage of the time last year.

The Warriors the year before had Draymond play 37 minutes a game, but the four frontcourt players who split the minutes next to him played less than 30 minutes a game combined. They played small a huge percentage of the time.

The Spurs the year before that played Duncan 33 minutes a game, but other big men got less than 20 minutes a game combined. Boris Diaw who is a smallball four played much more of the minutes than a traditional big.

And then Miami the year before that played Bosh 34.3 minutes per game, but they played any other big only 21.4 minutes per game. They played small a huge percentage of the time.

I don't see how you can say small ball has had few teams with success when the last four NBA champions have used it as their primary strategy in the Finals. The Warriors probably played small the least out of those four teams, and still played small over half the time.
    I would argue putting Miami in that group but even if you do that's very few teams for someone to say that it's the only way to win. Historical small ball has failed in the playoffs. IMO it's a mistake to dismiss having a big team.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    The KP interview with Dakich was great but had one very weird part. He praised by name Tyler Hansbrough and said how we missed a player like him more than anything. Then Dan just flat out asked him why they didn't bring him up. The 15 man roster came up. Then it sounded like Tyler had a standing invitation to camp this fall but then he made it sound like Tyler might not want to. I don't know, that whole part just seemed weird to me. However I say now what I've said all season long, cut LaVoy Allen and sign Tyler to the league min.

There is nothing Allen can do for us that Tyler can't and Tyler will bring that "game changing" hustle (KP's words not mine) to the court while we are checking LaVoy for a pulse.

At the time Hans was brought into the Mad Ants was when we were down Al Jeff and Allen was playing solid basketball and he'd been out of the league for sometime. Then Allen went from being solid to not leaving bench and the left over salary was spent on Lance. Now had the Pacers let Niang go and brought Hans in on a 10-day, things might have been different.

Sports Logo

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Pass. I'd rather have Mirotic. He can shoot and is bigger than Thad. He'll be cheaper also than Milsap... and he's much younger.
    Mirotic is also much worse.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    He's also not even close to being as good as Millsap.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Nice to see him wanting to do what makes most sense to everyone for the team instead of having bird push some weird agenda on us like 'we are going to play small with paul at the 4' crap.
    Lifelong pacers fan

Mitotic is worse than Thad!

I'm good on having a defensive and rebounding challenged stretch big that only shoots 34% from 3
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 05-01-2017 at 07:41 PM.