Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 183

Thread: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

  1. #101
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,982

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    these refs as usual are horrendous.
    They've been pretty bad. Very whistle happy. That call on Marcus Smart was especially egregious.

  2. #102
    13/31 Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    51,283

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    these refs as usual are horrendous.
    Every game, same story. Yet the NBA continues to do nothing about it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

    1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  4. #103
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,982

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every game, same story. Yet the NBA continues to do nothing about it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Silver has actually done a lot since he took over to make officiating better. The problem is, it's really hard to do. Not really sure what people expect them to do tbh.

  5. #104
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,723

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Silver has actually done a lot since he took over to make officiating better. The problem is, it's really hard to do. Not really sure what people expect them to do tbh.
    You'd have to educate people on the difficulty of officiating basketball, and bitter fans would rather happily live in denial and throw stones rather than admit that the job is way tougher than they realized.

    Every college and Olympic season we laugh at how much worse the officiating is than the NBA, and then NBA season begins and we conventiately forget just what incompetent officiating looks like.

    Besides I think many NBA fans don't actually want the refereeing to be better, because that would mean they'd be out of excuses when things don't go their way...

    The referees are an easy target and a safety blanket for fans that don't get the outcome they wanted. The reality is that as long as there's a boogeyman to blame, you don't have to hold yourself accountable and nobody likes accountability.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-15-2017 at 09:53 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  7. #105

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    When John Wall misses, it's usually a brick or air ball

  8. #106
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,723

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Case in point: that offensive foul on crowder which looks like a bad call from 3 different angles until they showed the angle the referee had.. and it was indeed a good call.

    Meanwhile celtics fans have already called for his head 2 angles ago and stuck their heads in the sand

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  9. #107
    THE FRANCHISE Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,764

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Case in point: that offensive foul on crowder which looks like a bad call from 3 different angles until they showed the angle the referee had.. and it was indeed a good call.

    Meanwhile celtics fans have already called for his head 2 angles ago and stuck their heads in the sand

    not me. whoever wins the game deserves to win the series regardless.

  10. #108
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,723

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When John Wall misses, it's usually a brick or air ball
    He aims the ball instead of shooting it. It either swishes in or misses badly. No touch.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  11. #109
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,982

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    That Jaylen Brown play...goodness.

  12. #110

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Jaylen Brown shows moments of amazingness. We probably could have gotten him if we traded PG to the Celts.

  13. #111

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'd have to educate people on the difficulty of officiating basketball, and bitter fans would rather happily live in denial and throw stones rather than admit that the job is way tougher than they realized.

    Every college and Olympic season we laugh at how much worse the officiating is than the NBA, and then NBA season begins and we conventiately forget just what incompetent officiating looks like.

    Besides I think many NBA fans don't actually want the refereeing to be better, because that would mean they'd be out of excuses when things don't go their way...
    Refs, NBA, Vegas whoever wanted the first half to go over.

    Set at 107 and ends up at 108. Great work by the line makers.

  14. #112
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    5,398

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'd have to educate people on the difficulty of officiating basketball, and bitter fans would rather happily live in denial and throw stones rather than admit that the job is way tougher than they realized.

    Every college and Olympic season we laugh at how much worse the officiating is than the NBA, and then NBA season begins and we conventiately forget just what incompetent officiating looks like.

    Besides I think many NBA fans don't actually want the refereeing to be better, because that would mean they'd be out of excuses when things don't go their way...
    I completely agree with you on that last point. It's the same way with people who think the league is rigged. Those people want the league to be rigged because it gives them an excuse when there favorite team doesn't win, and they really don't want the league to change.

  15. #113
    THE FRANCHISE Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,764

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    i could live without jae crowder next season

  16. #114
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,982

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i could live without jae crowder next season
    He's been kind of frustrating to watch this season for a neutral observer even.

  17. #115
    THE FRANCHISE Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,764

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's been kind of frustrating to watch this season for a neutral observer even.
    Wide open lane to the hoop. Takes jumper. Missed badly. All year

  18. #116
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,723

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    This may be the only good series we get all season.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. #117

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I completely agree with you on that last point. It's the same way with people who think the league is rigged. Those people want the league to be rigged because it gives them an excuse when there favorite team doesn't win, and they really don't want the league to change.
    Was anyone crying "rigged" when Pacers lost to the Cavs? You guys are the one in denial.

  20. #118
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,982

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    The competitiveness of the NBA would be much more interesting if Draymond Green and Markieff Morris switched places.

  21. #119
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,723

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was anyone crying "rigged" when Pacers lost to the Cavs? You guys are the one in denial.
    You cry rigged when it rains outside. Because vegas wanted it to rain.

    Not that anyone believes you anymore, because you keep gambling.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  23. #120

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You cry rigged when it rains outside.
    Lol true

  24. #121
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,406

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'd have to educate people on the difficulty of officiating basketball, and bitter fans would rather happily live in denial and throw stones rather than admit that the job is way tougher than they realized.

    Every college and Olympic season we laugh at how much worse the officiating is than the NBA, and then NBA season begins and we conventiately forget just what incompetent officiating looks like.

    Besides I think many NBA fans don't actually want the refereeing to be better, because that would mean they'd be out of excuses when things don't go their way...

    The referees are an easy target and a safety blanket for fans that don't get the outcome they wanted. The reality is that as long as there's a boogeyman to blame, you don't have to hold yourself accountable and nobody likes accountability.


    But you're also talking about a league that had a ref who was betting on games. He was fired, and jailed. Then wrote a book once he was released spilling more secrets. Even before that the "frozen draft envelope" story has been circulating for years. NBA brought this on themselves with bad PR handling. When stories or incidents happen, you either wage a media blitz campaign to put the fire out, or you install contingencies to make sure such a problem never arises again.

  25. #122
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,723

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But you're also talking about a league that had a ref who was betting on games. He was fired, and jailed. Then wrote a book once he was released spilling more secrets. Even before that the "frozen draft envelope" story has been circulating for years. NBA brought this on themselves with bad PR handling. When stories or incidents happen, you either wage a media blitz campaign to put the fire out, or you install contingencies to make sure such a problem never arises again.
    He spilled secrets he had no firsthand knowledge of to sell a book because it fed into the persecution complex of NBA fans. Not that difficult to decipher.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  26. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    5,398

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But you're also talking about a league that had a ref who was betting on games. He was fired, and jailed. Then wrote a book once he was released spilling more secrets. Even before that the "frozen draft envelope" story has been circulating for years. NBA brought this on themselves with bad PR handling. When stories or incidents happen, you either wage a media blitz campaign to put the fire out, or you install contingencies to make sure such a problem never arises again.
    I disagree.

    I think if the league installed contingencies, then the fans who cry "rigged" would find new ways to prove, in their minds, the league was rigged.

    I think the league should tell those people to leave and don't come back. Since that's bad business, they do the next best thing: Ignore them.

  27. #124
    THE FRANCHISE Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,764

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Celtics won the quarter by 8 without getting 1 rebound. weird game and series.

  28. #125
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,406

    Default Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs round 2: (1) Boston vs. (4) Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree.

    I think if the league installed contingencies, then the fans who cry "rigged" would find new ways to prove, in their minds, the league was rigged.

    I think the league should tell those people to leave and don't come back. Since that's bad business, they do the next best thing: Ignore them.


    I don't know. The NFL installed instant replay and challenges and things have worked out quite well for them. Also fining people thousands of dollars for speaking ill of referees is pathetic. The refs don't move product in the NBA. Players do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •