Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Build This Team

Default Build This Team

I wonder what everyone is thinking about what it would take to make the Pacers better.
    What players, realistically or maybe no so realistically but still possible would you add and subtract
    There are two ways this most likely will go.
    Scenario one is PG is traded and the Pacers have pick number 1-3. Lets assume they have the top pick to make it easier and they get a player and a future pick.

Scenario two is PG stays for more than two years and you can plan one building the team over 2-3 years to make a contender.

In scenario one I am not sure who I would take at one. I would keep Lance and Myles and Robinson. The problem is the top five picks are almost all points or small shooting guards. They are all very good though. My first thought is do you keep Teague? Probably not.

More thoughts to follow..
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Build This Team

It seems clear to me that Lance, Myles and GRIII should be kept and probably Thad also. Ideally I would like to keep George. I would probably bring back Teague as well.

I just read where Rudy Gay is expected to be able to play by this summer. If that is the case, I would try to bring him in. Ideally I would bring in Hayward, but I don't think we have a shot at him. With Gay, we could have PG13 and Gay on the wings, Teague a point guard and bring Lance and GRIII off the bench.

Our bigs would be tougher to fix. Myles would be a starter. I would draft an athletic big. Sign a physical big to play along side Myles or be a rim protecting back up Center.

We would start Teague/PG13/Gay/Turner/TYoung or FA. The bench would be Lance/GRIII/1st round draft pick/FA or TYoung.

Seraphin would be waiting in the wings if our draft pick flops.

I would also have Hansbrough on the team as the 14th or 15th man to keep practices intense.

If I'm Bird I'm trading PG to LA for Ingram pick and whatever, then I try to get Gallo and make a trade for Rolo or any other serviceable center in the NBA, also resign Teague and see which small forward is available for Myles Turner, Jimmy? or just find a way to get Wilson Chandler.

Teague, Chandler, Gallo, Thad, Myles (or alternative center).

Ingram/Ball off bench.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 04-27-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I'm Bird I'm trading PG to LA for Ingram pick and whatever, then I try to get Gallo and make a trade for Rolo or any other serviceable center in the NBA, also resign Teague and see which small forward is available for Myles Turner, Jimmy? or just find a way to get Wilson Chandler.

Sooo Denver Nuggets of the East (with a lesser center)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Sooo Denver Nuggets of the East (with a lesser center)
    ROLO is a better center than Myles but I'm ok with keeping Myles unless there is some no brainer somewhere.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Mood

If we trade PG, I'm taking Fultz and building around him and Myles. GRIII is a nice piece, I like his drive and think he'll get better, but ultimately, he's a 6th man, IMO, so if you need to put him in a deal to get an impact player, I'd thank him kindly and wish him well. I'd avoid Ball like the plague. Don't want anything to do with the circus, and I think his shot mechanics are going to need a complete overhaul if he wants to be successful in the NBA. Taking Fultz means Teague can walk. Fultz starts and unless we unload him, Monta is back up point until we cut him before the season ends. AlJeff gets stretched no matter what, and the bigs are Thad, Myles, and Seraphin. I'm letting CJ, Brooks, and LaVoy go. My team probably looks like Fultz/Lance/GRIII/Thad/Myles with Monta and Seraphin and anyone willing to sign here for cheap as we go full re-build.

If we keep PG, I'm renouncing CJ right away, letting Brooks and LaVoy go, stretching Al and trying to sell Monta as an expiring because of his unique contract. That should give us enough cap space to chase after Hayward, Griffin, or (the most unlikely) CP3. Obviously, if you get CP3, you let Teague go. If you go after SG/SF/PF, re-sign Teague using Bird rights to go over the cap. I like Thad, and I'll be ok with him staying, but I think he's a serious candidate for a trade. He's productive, on a reasonable contract, and perhaps not the best fit to start with Myles. If you get Griffin, you can just as easily keep Thad and have him on the bench. Ideally, my team is CP3/PG/Hayward/Griffin/Turner, but that's just not even remotely possible, lol, so pick one of those big free agents and replace the others with Teague, Thad, or GRIII I guess, unless we land a real surprise in the draft.

I'm hoping we hang onto the draft pick because I like a number of guys available this year, and outside of Myles, and to a lesser extent GRIII, our youth potential is slim. Joe Young and Niang aren't becoming All-Stars, and I'm only slightly hopeful that Christmas can be a rotation guy anymore. I'd love to see us have a good shooting guard again sometime in my life. I'd also be on the phone with Portland often, trying to help them out with their cap situation and excess draft picks. If there's any chance to get McCollum (I doubt they'll move Dame), I'd look hard at that. I'm also really intrigued in the Melo situation in NY. If he can be had for dimes on the dollar, I think there's a chance he waives the no-trade clause to play with PG.

Outside interest in Ibaka. More interest in Lowry. Morbid interest in DWade, even though I've always hated him. Greg Monroe, though the league might have passed him by. KCP, Noel, Dedmon, Plumlee, Gay, and Hardaway Jr all seem more realistic, though I doubt they move the needle for the team, or PG enough.

I think there are a lot of options to be aggressive and make something happen. A lot of people are down on Bird right now, and I understand why, but I think he has left just enough flexibility to get something done this off-season. I think we're all disappointed in this season, but IMO the team isn't that far off still. The ECF teams took people by surprise, and I still feel like we'll be able to do that next year with one or two aggressive moves, cutting losses and moving on.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Ingram/Ball off bench.
    So are you re-building with youth? If you are there is absolutely no way Butler comes here. If you are then you have to keep Myles.
    If you keep Teague in the youth movement who do you take at 1? Another point guard? So Teague, Lance at point some and Fultz or Ball?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    It seems clear to me that Lance, Myles and GRIII should be kept and probably Thad also. Ideally I would like to keep George. I would probably bring back Teague as well.

I just read where Rudy Gay is expected to be able to play by this summer. If that is the case, I would try to bring him in. Ideally I would bring in Hayward, but I don't think we have a shot at him. With Gay, we could have PG13 and Gay on the wings, Teague a point guard and bring Lance and GRIII off the bench.

Our bigs would be tougher to fix. Myles would be a starter. I would draft an athletic big. Sign a physical big to play along side Myles or be a rim protecting back up Center.

We would start Teague/PG13/Gay/Turner/TYoung or FA. The bench would be Lance/GRIII/1st round draft pick/FA or TYoung.

I would also have Hansbrough on the team as the 14th or 15th man to keep practices intense.

If Gay is deemed healthy and recovered I could see that and he might not command a massive salary. I do not see Christmas as being big enough for physical enough to battle a player like Tristan Thompson
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Let's just unload everyone. My head hurts thinking about trying to fix this team.
    Lifelong pacers fan

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Ball off bench.

His dad would be behind the bench yelling at Nate all game long and in the press calling for an investigation as to why Lonzo was not starting.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    So are you re-building with youth? If you are there is absolutely no way Butler comes here. If you are then you have to keep Myles.
    If you keep Teague in the youth movement who do you take at 1? Another point guard? So Teague, Lance at point some and Fultz or Ball?
    I'm rebuilding with two vets that can get me 17ppg each(Chandler/Gallo) while keeping the team competitive and young players like Ball/Ingram/Myles/the fit for the future (3 years or so).

edit: well 4 vets if you count Teague/Thad.

Couple things with Gay, I doubt he'll be ready for the start of the season. If he opts out, I'd try to sign him as I don't see the market being big for him. If he opts in, I'd see if they will take Al Jeff or Monta as a trade. I'd love to be able to just sign him and try to trade and get Melo.

I see Hans taking LaVoy's spot. I pushed to wanting to see LaVoy stay but with Hans on the Mad Ants, I think the switch will happen. Or with the Kings were interested in both Monta and LaVoy when they signed with the Pacers, he could be part of the Rudy trade.

I think if some how we could get Gay and Melo, there might be a chance of pulling in DRose on the cheap as our back-up pg, if he is interested on making a run for a ring, or he may just take the min. and run to the Cavs.

I've got Larry's "Our pick is in play" comment ringing in my ear. I don't like it because I love the draft, but I understand. Nevertheless, we've got some critical money issues, as Paima has diligently articulated, with trying to add a max-level star while retaining our core.

Reviews here are decidedly mixed on Biggie (lack of athleticism), I know, but I remain very high on him -- I think he could develop quickly into a 6th man "Player X." If Miles truly is going to play more 4, then in time Biggie would be a nice complement at 5 against many teams. Still, if we keep PG and aim for contention soon, Biggie would make for a wonderful pairing with Thad on the second unit. Which means, again, if Myles is moving back to 4, whom to acquire & start at 5? Despite his lackluster rebounding abilities, Brook Lopez seems the likely candidate. Getting rid of Al & Monta in a swap would allow us room to pursue a quality wing ... but I don't see how to do so without relinquishing our pick.

"I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

- Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    I've got Larry's "Our pick is in play" comment ringing in my ear. I don't like it because I love the draft, but I understand. Nevertheless, we've got some critical money issues, as Paima has diligently articulated, with trying to add a max-level star while retaining our core.

Reviews here are decidedly mixed on Biggie (lack of athleticism), I know, but I remain very high on him -- I think he could develop quickly into a 6th man "Player X." If Miles truly is going to play more 4, then in time Biggie would be a nice complement at 5 against many teams. Still, if we keep PG and aim for contention soon, Biggie would make for a wonderful pairing with Thad on the second unit. Which means, again, if Myles is moving back to 4, whom to acquire & start at 5? Despite his lackluster rebounding abilities, Brook Lopez seems the likely candidate. Getting rid of Al & Monta in a swap would allow us room to pursue a quality wing ... but I don't see how to do so without relinquishing our pick.
    Trading Ellis, Al Jeff and a pick for Brook Lopez would be awful. I'd rather keep the pick and have to start Al before making that trade.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    Trading Ellis, Al Jeff and a pick for Brook Lopez would be awful. I'd rather keep the pick and have to start Al before making that trade.
    I wouldn't call it "awful," but if Larry's already got something set up in that direction, perhaps we could get Brooklyn's #27 pick too. It's a short-term/medium-term thing: If PG's decision hinges on how competitive we are next year, I imagine he'd prefer a short-term upgrade to Lopez (with financial room to add another significant piece) than standing pat with Al, Monta and our pick.

"I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

- Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

sav

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Off the top of my head without looking at any numbers:

Step 1. Don't trade that pick unless a bonafide star is coming back.
    Step 2. Draft OG.
    -If N/A, trade up to draft OG.
    Step 3. Draft VJ Beachem, Cam Oliver, Nigel Hayes, or Malcolm Hill in 2nd round or hope Jordan Bell falls to 2nd round.
    Step 4: Sign Luc Mbah a Moute

or execute Operation Sparkplug (which I'm not keen on)
    Trade Turner, GRIII, and 1st for Jimmy Butler

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm going to take the tact that PG gets traded. In a deal for LAL's #1, Julius Randle, Brandon Ingram and D'Angelo Russell. I'm hoping (in any scenario) Al Jeff will retire. Let Teague, CJ, LaVoy walk. Only way you get minutes is if you can ball or have potential. Myles, Randle, Ingram, GRIII, Fultz . Backed with Seraphin, Thad, Pacers Draft Pick, Russell and Lance (really think he and KS have an opportunity to develop a real effective 1-5 PnR combo off the bench).

I wouldn't call it "awful," but if Larry's already got something set up in that direction, perhaps we could get Brooklyn's #27 pick too. It's a short-term/medium-term thing: If PG's decision hinges on how competitive we are next year, I imagine he'd prefer a short-term upgrade to Lopez (with financial room to add another significant piece) than standing pat with Al, Monta and our pick.
    If Brooklyn would go for that, I'd do it in a heartbeat...but I don't know why Brooklyn would do it. We would basically be trading our #18 pick for Lopez and Al and Monta for Brooklyn's #27 pick.

Sign Aaron Baynes.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

I believe Lopez has one extra year on his contract vs letting Monta and Al Jeff at the end of the year. And you lose a pick. Getting their pick and maybe our second back might make it worth it. I just don't see Lopez improving the team much. Rolo, maybe but not Brooke

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Off the top of my head without looking at any numbers:

Step 1. Don't trade that pick unless a bonafide star is coming back.
    Step 2. Draft OG.
    -If N/A, trade up to draft OG.
    Step 3. Draft VJ Beachem, Cam Oliver, Nigel Hayes, or Malcolm Hill in 2nd round or hope Jordan Bell falls to 2nd round.
    Step 4: Sign Luc Mbah a Moute

or execute Operation Sparkplug (which I'm not keen on)
    Trade Turner, GRIII, and 1st for Jimmy Butler
    Luc Mbah a Moute is kind of trash, rather have the fit.

No way we are signing max guys so here's a list of UFA's we have a legit shot at bringing in. I like all of these guys. I'm done with these veteran point guards we bring in for 1 year rentals....I'd prefer to sign 1 of the point guards listed below on 2-3 year deals.

James Johnson
    Aaron Baynes
    Mike Muscala
    Thomas Robinson

Shelvin Mack
    Tyler Ennis
    Ian Clark
    Beno Udrih
    Jodie Meeks

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I wonder what everyone is thinking about what it would take to make the Pacers better.
    What players, realistically or maybe no so realistically but still possible would you add and subtract
    There are two ways this most likely will go.
    Scenario one is PG is traded and the Pacers have pick number 1-3. Lets assume they have the top pick to make it easier and they get a player and a future pick.

Scenario two is PG stays for more than two years and you can plan one building the team over 2-3 years to make a contender.

In scenario one I am not sure who I would take at one. I would keep Lance and Myles and Robinson. The problem is the top five picks are almost all points or small shooting guards. They are all very good though. My first thought is do you keep Teague? Probably not.

More thoughts to follow..

My idea:

Trade Al Jefferson and a future 1st (2019 or 2020) to Portland for Alan Crabbe plus the 20th pick and the 26th pick. That gives us 3 1st round picks this Summer: Our 18th pick, Portland's 20th and our 26th pick. Portland would dump a lot of salary in this deal and upon receiving Al they could just waive and stretch provision him and the $13 mil left on his deal. Or we could waive and stretch Al ourselves and still do the deal with Portland. Take back Crabbe, plus picks 20 and 26. Portland is just $4,400 over the luxury tax line right now. But CJ McCollum's salary jumps from $3 mil to about $26 mil next season. Thus pushing them far over the tax. CJ then gets annual raises in 2018, and 2019!

Trade Monta to Memphis for a future 2nd rounder. Memphis has Z-bo, Vince Carter and Tony Allen coming off their books this Summer. That would give them enough space to take the hometown boy Monta, and his expiring in a trade.

Convince Paul to sign for the new cap extension. Not the All-NBA $200 mil extension. Convince Teague to sign for $16 or 18 mil per year for 3 years. Team option on the 4th. We use our remaining cap space to make a run at Hayward. Gordon would start moving Crabbe to the bench. I'd then trade the future 2nd rounder acquired from Memphis, for Nick Young and his remaining 1 year $5.5 mil from the Lakers. I'd sign Alex Pothyress and Ben Bentil to cheap deals to fill out the roster.

With picks 18, 20, and 26... we draft Terrance Ferguson, Og Anunoby (or Caleb Swanigan), and Donovan Mitchell.

That gives us:

Thad
    Hayward
    Myles
    Paul
    Teague

Young
    GR3
    Seraphin
    Crabbe
    Lance

Ferguson
    OG or Caleb
    Mitchell
    Christmas
    Pothyress
    Bentil
    Last edited by Grimp; 04-27-2017 at 03:13 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    My idea:

Trade Al Jefferson and a future 1st (2019 or 2020) to Portland for Alan Crabbe plus the 20th pick and the 26th pick. That gives us 3 1st round picks this Summer: Our 18th pick, Portland's 20th and our 26th pick. Portland would dump a lot of salary in this deal and upon receiving Al they could just waive and stretch provision him and the $13 mil left on his deal. Or we could waive and stretch Al ourselves and still do the deal with Portland. Take back Crabbe, plus picks 20 and 26. Portland is just $4,400 over the luxury tax line right now. But CJ McCollum's salary jumps from $3 mil to about $26 mil next season. Thus pushing them far over the tax. CJ then gets annual raises in 2018, and 2019!

Trade Monta to Memphis for a future 2nd rounder. Memphis has Z-bo, Vince Carter and Tony Allen coming off their books this Summer. That would give them enough space to take the hometown boy Monta, and his expiring in a trade.

Convince Paul to sign for the new cap extension. Not the All-NBA $200 mil extension. Convince Teague to sign for $16 or 18 mil per year for 3 years. Team option on the 4th. We use our remaining cap space to make a run at Hayward. Gordon would start moving Crabbe to the bench. I'd then trade the future 2nd rounder acquired from Memphis, for Nick Young and his remaining 1 year $5.5 mil from the Lakers. I'd sign Alex Pothyress and Ben Bentil to cheap deals to fill out the roster.

With picks 18, 20, and 26... we draft Terrance Ferguson, Og Anunoby (or Caleb Swanigan), and Donovan Mitchell.

That gives us:

Thad
    Hayward
    Myles
    Paul
    Teague

Young
    GR3
    Seraphin
    Crabbe
    Lance

Ferguson
    OG or Caleb
    Mitchell
    Christmas
    Pothyress
    Bentil
    I knew Nick Young would work his way in there somehow.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

I knew Nick Young would work his way in there somehow.
    I think playing him at the backup 4 allows us to defend stretch 4's while also spreading the floor with shooting. More teams are doing it these days, and we've played CJ at backup 4 many times before. Nick physically is a true SF, while CJ physically is a shooting guard.