Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Post game--Series Is Over

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Post game--Series Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As one of Monte's harshest critics I think you are being too harsh on him. He had two options. Guard LeBron going for a dunk or defend the three point shot. If he chose LeBron the two most likely results would be a pass to a wide open Korver, who would make the three, or Monta gets a couple called on him while LeBron gets an And-1 opportunity. On the flip side if he defended against the three the most likely outcome was LeBron dunking, only scoring 2 points instead of 3. Strategically I actually think he made the right decision. It might be the more embarrassing one, but it is the one with the highest probability of the most advantageous result.
    Here's the non-idiotic play to make: Wrap LeBron up and make him earn the two points at the line, where he only shot 68% this season.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As one of Monta's harshest critics I think you are being too harsh on him. He had two options. Guard LeBron going for a dunk or defend the three point shot. If he chose LeBron the two most likely results would be a pass to a wide open Korver, who would make the three, or Monta gets a foul called on him while LeBron gets an And-1 opportunity. On the flip side if he defended against the three the most likely outcome was LeBron dunking, only scoring 2 points instead of 3. Strategically I actually think he made the right decision. It might be the more embarrassing one, but it is the one with the highest probability of the most advantageous result.
    Except that if was his intent, it would mean that Monta would have literally tried to defend Korver for the first time all year. His *** should never see the locker room again, much less the floor.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    kinda setting in that I think there's a probably 50/50 chance we've got one more game of PG as a Pacer
    I'm at the acceptance stage of grief...

Probably because of the high doses of Valium, so I'm sure I'll jump around to bargaining and denial in short order.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Here's the non-idiotic play to make: Wrap LeBron up and make him earn the two points at the line, where he only shot 68% this season.
    orrr...Monta tries that and Lebron puts his *** through the rim for the 3 point play

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

orrr...Monta tries that and Lebron puts his *** through the rim for the 3 point play
    At least he ****ing tried to play defense under that scenario. TROY ****ING MURPHY would have called his *** out for poor defense on that play.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    At least he ****ing tried to play defense under that scenario. TROY ****ING MURPHY would have called his *** out for poor defense on that play.
    oh I agree, Monta straight up running away would have been hilarious if it weren't so sad. just saying, Monta Ellis wrapping up a full head of steam Lebron ain't gonna happen.

Anyone have a recap of the postgame conference#

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Anyone have a recap of the postgame conference#

Yeah, probably, but at least he's putting forth an effort that way.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Live by the three...
    ...Die by the three...
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Pacers are actually way more competitive in this series than I thought they would be.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

The idea that Lebron would not allow the Cavs to lose the series was pretty much a foregone conclusion.
    And a loss at home to the Cavs was always possible. But to lead by 25 and lose, at home? Wow!

So much for the idea the Pacers could at least win their initial 2 at home and make it respectable at best. Or force the Cavs into a war for game 4 to keep the series from going back to Cleveland 2-2.

Now, how does this fragile, leadership lacking, team recover from this? This has to be soul crushing. This wasn't just a loss. It was an embarrassment. McMillian has shown no ability to know how to do anything with his chess pieces. He's more often moving chairs on the Titanic than moving chess pieces.

The pessimist in me thinks the Pacers best hope is for the Cavs to simply not care much about this next game. If the Pacers don't just roll over first then the Cavs might opt to go into cruise mode for game 4 and take the game back to Cleveland to win in front of their fans.

Then the Pacers can start thinking about the future.
    I'm not sure I'm ever going to warm to this new version of basketball with all these 3's coming from everywhere. It's a boring gimmick to me. And if the Pacers want to play that way then they need to do a better job of finding real shooters at multiple positions.

I'm not sure what PG is going to do. Demanding a trade or simply refusing to sign and forcing a trade versus gambling he'll eventually re-sign seems high on the list of options.
    I have no problem with the firing of Vogel but all concerns about following him with McMillian have been realized.
    I'm not sure what Bird is thinking at this point. Does he have a vision he can see through?
    Making the playoffs is just hard-coded into the Pacers' DNA. It was Walsh's mission #1... and 2... and 3... and while Bird has shown more agility to make moves, he still seems fixated on the playoffs, which probably makes this a Simon thing overall.

And speaking of Bird making moves, where he doesn't seem agile at making moves is in the coaching dept. I think he held onto JOB too long, and I think he hang onto Vogel too long. So I have no hope McMillian won't be back next season. Or even the next season. So to think there will be a foundational change for next year is rather hard to think right now. If there is a change, it'll be more in players than coaching I believe. And the PG situation could be the big puzzle piece to watch.

As for the immediate future... this weekend's game? Does anyone care now? I'm afraid that loss tonight just stuck the dagger into the fanbase and team. The next game is meaningless in a competition sense. The series is for all intents and purposes over. It's just a question of this game or the next.

"Gone fishin'"
    Last edited by Bball; 04-21-2017 at 05:04 AM.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

It's a real shame because this is one of the best dunks in franchise history.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

For all the 3 point shots the Cavs hit, rebounding and specifically Tristan Thompson is the reason the Pacers lost. Put him on he Pacers and they are a vastly
    improved team. Maybe even contenders.
    As far the game last night I wonder if the Pacers had gone small with out Turner and and Monta if they could have weathered the storm
    PG ,Thad,,CJ,GR3 and Teague. Then there would be no sagging off Lance, daring him to shoot.
    In the off season Lance needs to shoot a million threes,,,
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

22. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1948, man. That had to be the longest standing record in NBA history.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

What a 2nd half, if that does not get the coach fired then nothing will. Long stretches with Monta were baffling, just completely giving up on the things that made us successful in the first half wtf. I knew we would not win the series but this was embarrassing.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

The three-point shot is a nice addition to NBA basketball. It's just a shame that it's the only thing left. It's like pizza. I really like it but I would not want to eat it every single day for the rest of my life.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

For people wondering why PG gets criticized so much......watch that 3rd quarter (which is when we lost the game last night), and take notice of PG and his lack of focus for about a 5 minute stretch, which Paul also admitted in the post game presser.

Completely unfocused, *****ing and complaining to the refs, up 20+, and a complete lack of effort. It infected the rest of the team and completely took our focus away as a team and crowd. It also tarnished what was otherwise a brilliant performance.

But he put up stats so the stat guys will say it has no effect, I'm sure.

But when you are a leader of men, you have to lead by example and learn to focus your energy on stopping the other team. The officials were horrific last night, but let Nate and the crowd deal with them and just play ball.

They WILL fallow your lead, whIchever direction you choose.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 04-21-2017 at 08:02 AM.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

From my perspective we lost this game basically because of shooting. I know there were other factors, but Cleveland shot very well from 3. We had decent enough looks but missed.

Our top priority this off season should be to find good, consistent shooters. Second should be rebounders.

As one of Monta's harshest critics I think you are being too harsh on him. He had two options. Guard LeBron going for a dunk or defend the three point shot. If he chose LeBron the two most likely results would be a pass to a wide open Korver, who would make the three, or Monta gets a foul called on him while LeBron gets an And-1 opportunity. On the flip side if he defended against the three the most likely outcome was LeBron dunking, only scoring 2 points instead of 3. Strategically I actually think he made the right decision. It might be the more embarrassing one, but it is the one with the highest probability of the most advantageous result.
    Lebron also faked the pass to Korver.

Crazy how the guy that gave a **** to run back is getting trashed, where everybody else was? and yeah let's wrap around Lebron James GTFO...
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

And Frye instead of Tristan Thompson is the thing that started their come back Nate didn't know how to adjust to that.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Lebron also faked the pass to Korver.

Crazy how the guy that gave a **** to run back is getting trashed, where everybody else was? and yeah let's wrap around Lebron James GTFO...
    In your devotion to Tonto you may have missed there was already a Pacer player (which Tonto could see) running after Korver and there is no way in hell Tonto would have gotten there earlier. You also forget to mention (as do others who are sooo busy blaming PG) Tonto's ball handling earlier one, his falling all over the place giving up the ball 4 times in a 1.5 minute timespan, I for one thought he was paid to be the clown or to lose!

Tonto ran as fast as he could to get out of the way, there is no other way of seeing that unless you have a Tonto altar in your livingroom AND bedroom
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This silliness that Paul had no impact in the 3rd is absurd. He was a beast on the boards and had 4 assists. Just because he wasn't scoring doesn't mean he didn't have an impact.

Myles other than the dunk was again horrible.

Lance dominated the ball too much.

Monta was Monta.

And Nate for some reason nuked Teague's and Thad's minutes for no apparent reason at all. Even though Teague was being defended by Deron Williams.
    Both of you right on Paul. He was playing and trying to hold it together, but both he and Lance went hero ball on several possessions in a row in that 3rd quarter.

I agree though, Nate killed this teams chances with his rotations and line ups. This dude don't have the ability to recognize when a strategy isn't working before its too late.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Lebron James is a good player. I mean he aight....

The passes Lebron James made were Magic Johnson like. He moved the ball better in the second half than I have seen him ever. Them getting Korver is cheap. Them getting Deron Williams is cheap. The NBA pisses me off. The rich get richer. You need a top 5 player to compete anymore. We have a top 10 but it isn't enough. The Detroit Pistons that won it with Billups might be the best team ever. No top 5 players, maybe not even top 10. But they won it all. You will never see that again. Ever.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I said this earlier this season and danced around some hurled feces flung my way, but I legit think JOB would do a better job coaching this particular team than Nate McMillan.
    Remove stubbornness, attitude, and hubris, and just make it about tactics and strategy ... and you may have a case.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." óKevin Pritchard press conference