Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/20/2017 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #3: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

streets ahead

Default 4/20/2017 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #3: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

SMOKE 'EM IF YA GOT 'EM

Game Time Start: 7:00 PM ET
    Where: The Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
    Officials: Danny Crawford (#43), Tony Brown (#6), Ron Garretson (#10), Brent Barnaky (#36)

Media Notes: Indiana Notes, Cleveland Notes
    Television:
    Radio: WFNI 1070 AM, 107.5 FM / WTAM 1100 FM
    NBA Feeds: NBA Audio & Broadband League Pass (subscription req'd)

REMINDER: Per PD policy, please do not share a link to, describe how to search for, request a link to, or request a PM about streaming video of a NBA game that is not coming directly through the NBA. Not even in a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean" round-about sort of way.
    Thank you

Season Records: (W-L)
    42-42
    Home: 29-12
    Season: 1-5
    53-31
    Away: 20-21
    Season: 5-1
    Upcoming Games:
    April 23
    April 25
    April 27
    vs
    at
    vs
    ABC - 1:00pm
    TBD - 7:00pm
    TBD - 7:00pm

Projected Starting Lineup:
    TURNER
    YOUNG
    GEORGE
    ELLIS
    TEAGUE
    Projected Starting Lineup:
    THOMPSON
    LOVE
    JAMES
    SMITH
    IRVING

PACERS
    None Reported

CAVALIERS
    J.R. Smith - questionable (hamstring)

Minimally Relevant Video:

Semi-Relevant Video:

Nylon Calculus:
    On the Cavs and flipping the proverbial switch in the playoffs
    Senthil Natarajan

There was one burning question about the Cavaliers on everyoneís minds going into the playoffs:
    could they flip the switch? Could LeBronís sheer force of will elevate the defense which was stuck
    in what can only kindly be described as a rut since the All-Star break (and before the break, if
    weíre being honest with ourselves)?

After the first two playoff games, they havenít exactly done much to allay those concerns. Letís
    get the obvious news out of the way ó this Cleveland defense is Alexanderís terrible, horrible, no
    good, very bad day embodied as a basketball team.

The table below looks at the defensive ratings for different combinations of Cavaliers players.

There hasnít really been any combination of the Cavaliersí core rotation players that has proven
    to be effective this season. Donít be fooled by the patches of green. Their defense has been so
    leaky that defensive ratings like 105 and 106 show up as good relative to the rest of the team.
    In fact, their only ray of light had been DeAndre Liggins, but the offense was not sustainable
    with Liggins playing extended stretches, which is a critical impediment to a team that will need
    to put up points in bunches to win. Also, they released him before the playoffs started.

Itís one thing to assume that LeBron can flip a switch on defense. Itís another thing entirely to
    assume that the Cavs as a whole can flip a switch, especially when none of the other players
    have given us any reason to believe as such. Of the Cavaliersí top 11 players in minutes played
    this season, Liggins led the team in Defensive Box Plus-Minus at 2.0, followed by James at 1.6
    and Tristan Thompson at 1.4. The other 8 players are either negative or at zero, which is
    absurd for a team with title aspirations.

To compound matters...CONTINUE READING AT NYLON CALCULUS

Hoops Habit:
    Essential Pacers Adjustments Going Into Game 3
    Adrian Lawhorn

The Indiana Pacers have been competitive, but find themselves down 2-0 in their first-round
    series against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Here are the adjustments Indiana must make to turn
    the tide against Cleveland.

The Pacers have lost two games to the Cavaliers by a combined seven points in their first-round
    playoff series thus far. While that may be somewhat encouraging to a No. 7 seed playing on the
    road against a No. 2 seed, improvements need to be made if the Pacers plan to do more than
    just make a good showing in defeat.

Here are the key areas that will determine whether or not Indiana can get back into this series
    and pose a real threat to LeBron James and the Cavs.

Pick-and-Roll Defense

Indiana has mostly been switching defensively on the pick-and-roll and that strategy has been
    disastrous for the Pacers.

The Cavaliers have done a good job of using this to exploit mismatches, perhaps the biggest
    being Jeff Teague getting switched onto LeBron James.

The Pacers either need to stop switching, or come with a double-team when these mismatches
    occur. Switching and then leaving someone like Teague on an island against LeBron is a horrible
    scenario for Indiana.

Help Defense

Another defensive issue for the Pacers has been the lack of execution in terms of team defense.
    Help in the paint is either coming far too late or not at all, and rotating and closing out on
    shooters has rarely been seen so far in this series.

Cleveland is one of the best offensive teams in the NBA, and when you combine that with
    Indianaís ďmatadorĒ defense, that is a formula for a Cavs sweep.

The Pacers players know what to do, they simply arenít doing it. Give help on drives and close
    out on shooters ó it isnít complicated, but it takes more focus and energy than Indiana is
    showing on that end of the floor so far.

Myles Turner

Going into the series...CONTINUE READING AT HOOPS HABIT

140 Characters of (Non-PD) Coverage

Pacers
    Nate Taylor @ByNateTaylor
    Scott Agness @ScottAgness
    Jared Wade @8pts9secs
    Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s
    Tom Lewis @indycornrows
    Whitney Medworth @its_whitney

Cavaliers
    Dave McMenamin @mcten
    Joe Vardon @joevardon
    John Krolik @JohnKrolik
    Jason Lloyd @JasonLloydABJ
    Brendan Bowers @BowersCLE
    Angelo Benedetti @CavsFangelo
    This is the darkest timeline.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 4/20/2017 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #3: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

I'm 98.87% sure of a Pacers victory tonight.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 4/20/2017 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #3: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm 98.87% sure of a Pacers victory tonight.
    I wish I was so confident. The first two games, and especially Game 2, have made me feel like our best isn't going to be quite good enough. Like we just don't have the horses to keep up in this race.

That said, we're far better at home, and we've been very close on the road. Pumped for the Gold Out and the playoff atmosphere in the Fieldhouse.

If McMillan doesn't have some kind of better plan on defense tonight, he should be fired before Game 4. If they come up with something that works in even minuscule ways, he can finish out the playoffs with us.

We need more from Myles and Lance. PG will bring his A-game, but Myles and Lance are the caffeine that gets the team's heartbeat up. They should feed off of the crowd and the rest of the team will feed off of that. If they can bring it tonight, and I expect Myles to for sure, then we should have a good chance of crawling back into this series.

LET'SSSSSSS GOOOOOOOO!!!!
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Been waiting on this game since that ******** flop by Shumpturd in game 2

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Lebron Cavs have only lost four Eastern Conference playoff games since he came back (the Conference has just been putrid in recent years). In all seriousness, just one win would be impressive against them.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

"Ohio" seems an ... interesting choice. I'd have gone with
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

sav

Leggo Pacers leggo!

It's a must win tonight. I'm thinking Paul George drops 40

Mood

Just a few small changes will do it. Mostly it's about poise. Don't fall apart when they hit a couple. Lock down and play your game. Never forget they aren't very good on D. They'll let you have some back. Make theirs as hard to get as possible.

QUIT putting guards on bigs.
    Knock Love around a little. He's not Shaq.
    If you must do 1-3 switches then you can't get many minutes out of Teague. Do something else.
    Mostly just keep calm. They kill us when you get frantic.

Sneaks in a 4/20 reference with the largest font.

Pacers don't get this one tonight a lot of people will need to self-medicate.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

If only we could start GRIII instead of monthy ellison
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

I was 95% confident we would win Game 1. I was 1% confident we would win Game 2. I am 100% positive we win tonight.

But I still think this ends in 5. But Pacers get tonight. NBA won't allow 0-3. Sunday 1pm ABC they want that game to be interesting. Ratings, $$$$. 2-1 Cavs Sunday Game 4

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    But I still think this ends in 5. But Pacers get tonight. NBA won't allow 0-3. Sunday 1pm ABC they want that game to be interesting. Ratings, $$$$. 2-1 Cavs Sunday Game 4
    Guess we should rest the starters then. But ... what if the NBA wants to hype a Cavs sweep on Sunday? Then they might be making them win yet again tonight! So I clearly cannot choose the glass in front of me. But what if they want people to think they are letting the Cavs win tonight so when the Pacers win it will look like it isn't rigged? Then I clearly cannot choose the glass in front of you.
    BillS

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Guess we should rest the starters then. But ... what if the NBA wants to hype a Cavs sweep on Sunday? Then they might be making them win yet again tonight! So I clearly cannot choose the glass in front of me. But what if they want people to think they are letting the Cavs win tonight so when the Pacers win it will look like it isn't rigged? Then I clearly cannot choose the glass in front of you.
    Nothing good comes from a sweep. They do not hype series that are 0-3. I know you want to argue because that's all you do but the NBA would want this series to be 2-1 100 out of 100 times rather than 0-3.

Nobody is tuning into a 0-3 series. 2-1 & you'll attract viewers. Just think, is the Pacers lose tonight you won't even be able to give tix away Sunday. If they win the prices/demand will sky rocket. That's from a fanbase so imagine the national audience. The NBA wants this thing 2-1 & they'll get that tonight.

This is a business everyone. Everyone involved is in this to make money. Just like your business.

I still believe the Pacers will shock the world

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

I dont know if the refs can overcome Nate's terrible coaching to make this an interesting series.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    You've made your decision then?

Not remotely. Because the playoffs come from the NBA, as everyone knows, and the NBA is entirely peopled with greedy businessmen, and greedy businessmen are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Theirs only so much a ref can do to tilt this game to the Pacers favor, when Nate is having Aaron Brooks guard Lebron tonight.

I'm sad because here we have a team that has played very well at home coming off a couple of close losses on the road where they played abysmally all year, full of hope and energy - but if they win for some people it will be because the fix is in.
    BillS

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Nate wont allow a fix. He'll put Joe Young on Lebron and Aaron Brooks on Love.

Mood

I don't think the games are rigged by the NBA but by human nature. Think of it this way. If game one roles were reversed and the Cavs were down one. There would be no lame jump shots. Lebron would have pounded it inside and if anyone had the effrontery to contest a layup in any way he would have grimaced like he'd been stabbed. Dude would make the shot or go to the line. There just was no possibility of him missing and there not be a foul called.

If the ref calls it...it's as expected, and if he's wrong the league may say "our bad". If he doesn't call it ,and a still can be made of any touching and said grimace, we would pretty soon all know the name of that ref.
    Conversely no one would have any problem imagining PG getting mauled in the paint, with no call, as the clock expires. We HAD to take a jumper.
    There are probably at least a dozen calls per game that are close. To err on the side of superstar is just vey much less stress.
    You have to knock the champs out. Refs are human, they can't help themselves.

Mood

Game two didn't Labron use his off arm to make way through his defender on his last score? No call, and he jogs up the court shrugging his shoulders. The commentators say: "Lebron's not got a whistle, what do you want!?"
    Wasn't he moving on the screen that freed up Irving for that devastating lay up near the end?
    Who's gonna call that? Joey Crawford retired.

Your chance of beating them in a close game is not great.
    Last edited by solid; 04-20-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Sports Logo

Can me crazy, but Nate should go bigger to stop the pick and roll game.

Teague
    George
    Young
    Myles
    Seraphin

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post: