Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Paul George and Carmelo Anthony co-exist?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Could Paul George and Carmelo Anthony co-exist?

Now, I'm not saying the Pacers should do this, but with Phil Jackson trying to run Melo out of NY, should Larry try to convince him to come to Indy? Could he be the star running mate that PG needs to put the Pacers over the top?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Could Paul George and Carmelo Anthony co-exist?

I'm feeling this actually

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

Mood

I've been giving this some thought because it would be a serious move to surround PG with more talent and get him to stay. They'd have the potential to score a lot of points.

Obvious downsides, though. Melo isn't a defender. And I've never viewed him as a championship player. He's got an impressive Olympic resume, and maybe given another legit superstar in his prime, Melo takes to the "team player" concept a little more. But I've always felt like his game doesn't fit in a championship-level offense, and he doesn't give you anything on defense - especially if you play him at power forward since Paul is our small forward. If you can play Paul at SG, Melo at SF, and find a bruiser to play PF, you've got a better situation.

The concept of trading for Melo is particularly interesting because it sure feels like Phil has killed his leverage in any deal by bad-mouthing Melo. You're looking at giving them an expiring contract and a second round pick at this point. Not to mention Melo's no-trade clause means he can pick his new home or force Phil to eat his words.

Watching Cleveland's simply unstoppable offense right now makes the idea of going this route more appealing to me that it normally would be. We just don't have the horses on offense to keep up. But being helpless defensively brings me back to avoiding Melo.

Could they co-exist? Yeah, probably, if we had a coach that could gameplan coherently and figure out how to coach in today's NBA. So there's another thing. But Melo has raised his assist game and we all know PG's shooting has improved as he has been coming off more screens and getting more catch-and-shoot opportunities. Both guys can score from literally anywhere, Teague and Lance (pick one) are both good at getting in the lane and making plays, and Myles would be able to comfortably fill a third or fourth option role on offense, where he'd probably excel.

At this point, given that we have to be aggressive to keep PG, Melo is not my first option, but he is an option. There's no doubt it'd raise our talent level considerably. Lance and Myles are currently on cheap contracts and can both start and play big minutes. Plus GRIII. So if you can move around other pieces, there would be a way to do it. I'd rather see Hayward, Griffin, Lowry, or maybe even Greg Monroe before Melo. But if the Knicks have no leverage and you can hose them in a trade, swing for the fences!
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

He's not going to allow a trade to indiana.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not going to allow a trade to indiana.
    At this point, I think he's going to be more concerned with winning than what market he's in. Not like he's an up-and-coming guy who needs exposure. Plus, I've always heard that his wife was a big influence on chasing the big market, and they're split. Considering the circumstances of that split, he might actually want a quieter environment without the constant media attention.

That's not to say he wouldn't prefer the Clippers if they call, but I don't think it's such a certainty that he wouldn't come to play with an Olympic buddy in the weaker Eastern Conference.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Maybe 3 years ago. I feel like getting him would be another mistake like getting Ellis and Jefferson.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not so sure Melo will waive his NTC. Phil has handled that situation so bad I wouldn't be surprised if Melo dug his heels in as an FU to Phil.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I don't see it anymore, PG's diva status is not going to let Melo take the last shot, ever.

PG can't play with another alpha player.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

I was thinking about 'what other stars' are reasonably available and Melo was one of the few I could actually think of besides Hayward in free agency.

No. Go for Butler, Hayward, Blake or even Westbrook. If OKC gets swept I think Westbrook will probably come to the realization that he cannot win a ring in OKC.

They could coexist, but I think you would have a pretender team that would win a lot of games but not be a very good playoff team.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    No. Go for Butler, Hayward, Blake or even Westbrook. If OKC gets swept I think Westbrook will probably come to the realization that he cannot win a ring in OKC.
    I often wonder if you're being serious or this is just your gimmick account

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I often wonder if you're being serious or this is just your gimmick account
    Hayward will be a free agent, Blake will most likely opt out, Butler is gonna get traded. If OKC vs HOU games #2, #3, and #4 end like game #1 did Westbrook will most likely rethink being in OKC long term. Now do we have assets to get these guys? Yes and No. Free agency is more about money. Trades are more complicated. But at the end of the day, that's Larry's job. To make something epic out of the impossible. Otherwise, why should Herb keep him employed?

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I was thinking about 'what other stars' are reasonably available and Melo was one of the few I could actually think of besides Hayward in free agency.
    Trades that were discussed at the trade deadline but fell through often happen in the summer. I'm not saying whether I like it or not, but there were pretty heavy rumors that the Pacers were going after Brook Lopez. I wouldn't be surprised if they got him this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Trades that were discussed at the trade deadline but fell through often happen in the summer. I'm not saying whether I like it or not, but there were pretty heavy rumors that the Pacers were going after Brook Lopez. I wouldn't be surprised if they got him this summer.
    I doubt it now. We need shooting. Lopez doesn't help with that issue. He's a scoring big but he's also very expensive. $21 mil he's due next season.

Nice player, but I don't really consider Lopez a star. I'd consider Melo, Hayward, and Butler stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I doubt it now. We need shooting. Lopez doesn't help with that issue. He's a scoring big but he's also very expensive. $21 mil he's due next season.
    I respectfully disagree. Lopez is a good shooter. His career numbers are 39.2% from 16<3; 42.6% from 10-16, not to mention 50.6% overall. And this season he was 34.6% from 3. .

Now we are getting desperate I see.

Nice player, but I don't really consider Lopez a star. I'd consider Melo, Hayward, and Butler stars.
    Yeah, but we aren't getting those guys.

Lopez is a former all-star and consistently in consideration for the all-star game.

I respectfully disagree. Lopez is a good shooter. His career numbers are 39.2% from 16<3; 42.6% from 10-16, not to mention 50.6% overall. And this season he was 34.6% from 3. .
    I think Pacers have to do better than Lopez regardless because that's not enough to convince PG to stay.

Right now, we're seeing that the Pacers 'Big 3' of PG, Teague, and Turner pales in comparison to LeBron, Irving, and Love. If you suddenly throw Lopez in the mix, I'm not sure he's really enough to tip the scales in our favor as a fringe all-star big man.

I think Pacers have to do better than Lopez regardless because that's not enough to convince PG to stay.

Right now, we're seeing that the Pacers 'Big 3' of PG, Teague, and Turner pales in comparison to LeBron, Irving, and Love. If you suddenly throw Lopez in the mix, I'm not sure he's really enough to tip the scales in our favor as a fringe all-star big man.
    I'm not saying whether Lopez is a good move or not. I'm just stating the fact the many times teams revisit trades that were talked about at the deadline. The Pacers were rumor to be interested in Lopez. I think that will be revisited this summer.

Lopez is a good scorer and would take some of the scoring pressure off of George. I don't know what it would do to Turner and it wouldn't really help our rebounding or defense.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

I'm not saying whether Lopez is a good move or not. I'm just stating the fact the many times teams revisit trades that were talked about at the deadline. The Pacers were rumor to be interested in Lopez. I think that will be revisited this summer.

Lopez is a good scorer and would take some of the scoring pressure off of George. I don't know what it would do to Turner and it wouldn't really help our rebounding or defense.
    For the right price Lopez would be an outstanding acquisition ... because the right price would allow us to add another quality piece. AlJeff, Monta & #1 for Lopez? That's a "right price."

"I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

- Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

I would prefer Hayward then Butler. I guess if you miss out on both of those there are worse options than Melo.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

If it meant keeping Paul George, I would have to ponder this one. Under no other circumstances can I imagine bringing in Melo...one of my least favorite players in the entire league.

Yuck

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post: