Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Post game-Wrong Ending

Default Re: Post game-Wrong Ending

I still want to know if Lance should have known to flash out. Was he coached to do that? How many practices since Lance came to the team?

Given the importance of that play, isn't the coach responsible for clarifying that with a player who may well be new to that set? At least as a reminder?

This could just as easily be a coaching mistake. Of course, I tend to side with Lance...

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We got a good look and missed. PG needs to show some leadership and not show frustration, this is a team game. PG in the presser says "I spoke to CJ and told him that in situations like that, I should be taking the last shot". Got a good shot, game over, you are not gaining anything by statements like that. Show leadership and tell CJ to keep his head high and that we got a good shot. That will motivate CJ
    I would agree with this if we was like a 50 win team. But we are a 42 win team who is only here Because PG has been playing out of his mind. Guys like CJ miles are the reason we a 42 win team. That dude took a fade away jumper after he already cleared the space. That was vintage CJ Miles from his first year as a Pacer.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I would agree with this if we was like a 50 win team. But we are a 42 win team who is only here Because PG has been playing out of his mind. Guys like CJ miles are the reason we a 42 win team. That dude took a fade away jumper after he already cleared the space. That was vintage CJ Miles from his first year as a Pacer.
    This is exactly the nightmare I have been having all year. CJ in a key play in the playoffs missing a 3. He is simply not a prime time player. He has what looks like good shooting form and he does play well in the regular season at times. But his game does not translate when defenders are locking in. He just doesn't have another gear to handle it. This is why under no circumstances should he be out there at the end. It's like giving a butcher a scalpel and asking him to perform surgery on you. You are going to die.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I want Teague to be much more aggressive than he was today. I'd hate to think that we basically traded George Hill for George Hill with worse defense.
    He took 10 shots and got fouled on 3 more. Lance and PG had the ball quite a bit today. That said G. Hill is probably a better fit with Lance now back and seemingly more under control with ball.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I still want to know if Lance should have known to flash out. Was he coached to do that? How many practices since Lance came to the team?

Given the importance of that play, isn't the coach responsible for clarifying that with a player who may well be new to that set? At least as a reminder?

This could just as easily be a coaching mistake. Of course, I tend to side with Lance...
    He does sort of flash high, but it is late. Probably because he likely thought he was open under the basket.

It it doesn't have to be either lance or the coaches fault. Lance probably knew, but for reason I just stated was a little late.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Please everyone. Read this. We are better off putting our money toward another asset than a point guard who isn't going to (or shouldn't) have the ball at crunch time anyway. Whatever we do, we don't have to retain Teague. We could have Monta as the backup point.
    I'll say it again, we don't HAVE to retain Teague, but his cap hold is 13 million

NO STARTING PLAYER CAN BE HAD FOR 13 MILLION IN FREE AGENCY

So not keeping him WILL cost you more. Bench players cost more than 13 mill.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    He does sort of flash high, but it is late. Probably because he likely thought he was open under the basket.

It it doesn't have to be either lance or the coaches fault. Lance probably knew, but for reason I just stated was a little late.
    Maybe he thought he executed but didn't get enough practice in? I do believe he failed to execute what should have been done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The bottom line is that PG has to attack immediately when it was just JR on him.
    Also true, you don't burn the whole clock if you are down, Pacers needed to call a quicker play.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Also true, you don't burn the whole clock if you are down, Pacers needed to call a quicker play.
    You want the last shot in that situation. You start your movement at around 7 seconds.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You want the last shot in that situation. You start your movement at around 7 seconds.
    I rather take a quicker shot and if that shot is missed you can get a rebound and try again, letting the clock run out is not a great strategy when you are down.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Doyle is an idiot or a liar. . Nate was asked by Kravitz if Lance might start or play more minutes. Nate said if they started Lance then we have Monta and Aaron Brooks coming off the bench and Nate is shaking his head, no. The transcript will not relate the this. Need to watch the video.

Wont change starting Lance, but we are having matchup problems in second unit.

that tells me Brooks might nit play for a long time.
    When is Robinson coming back? Robinson and Ellis is better than Brooks and Ellis.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the esteem of Elohim,
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be kind towards one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as Elohim also forgave you in Messiah.

Mood

You only want the last shot if tied. If you are down you want to still have time for a foul and another chance in case you miss. At least IMO
    2017 NBA Champions

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

I rather take a quicker shot and if that shot is missed you can get a rebound and try again, letting the clock run out is not a great strategy when you are down.
    Usually, unless your movement is complex (it normally isn't), 7 seconds gives you time for a shot and a putback attempt. But yeah, down 1, you could probably start at around 10-12 seconds to ensure you have time in case you miss the shot.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Usually, unless your movement is complex (it normally isn't), 7 seconds gives you time for a shot and a putback attempt. But yeah, down 1, you could probably start at around 10-12 seconds to ensure you have time in case you miss the shot.
    It also gives you time to foul Lebron so he can miss the free throws.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

I believe PG also pointed a finger at himself saying he was slow to recognize the double team the second time around or something to that effect, so it's not like he purely threw CJ under the bus.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Or you miss and foul and have another chance to tie with a 3.

Edit. What pacer heath said

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Yeah, at this point, maybe we should've just ponied up for Mahinmi instead of paying the corpse of Al Jefferson.
    To be fair, Ian has mostly been a corpse this season. Granted butterfly effect and all..

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    You only want the last shot if tied. If you are down you want to still have time for a foul and another chance in case you miss. At least IMO
    On the road, against the defending champs, no timeouts left--they wanted that to be the final word in the game. Either way is fine. Situational basketball.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Great game by the Pacers, even if the ending sucked. Sadly, I think a lot of us expected something like this, lol. The true measure of this team will be gauged in the next game. Will they fold against a Cleveland team that knows it has to be better next time?

I'm fine with PG13 telling CJ the last shot is his and his alone. Jordan would've done that. Kobe would've done that. When PG13 is in closer mode he might be the closest the league currently has to that type of player. With that said, he missed two free throws and we lost by one. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Nah, it played out the same way it always does.
    cheer up emo kid
    "man, PG has been really good."

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog! Pacersalltheway10's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd rather see a starting lineup with C.J. or Lance instead of Ellis and have Thad guard LeBron, PG on Kyrie, and C.J./Lance on Love with Teague on Smith. Then you're able to switch more effectively. Same pattern with the bench units. Start with the smaller guys on the shooting bigs and when the inevitable screen (off ball or on ball) comes, you can switch guys onto their more natural matchups. If the Cavs run the same play to switch again, enough time would have already been taken off the clock that they'd have to rush a shot. Anticipate the switches instead of having LeBron back down Ellis and Teague for 15 points a game.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Crazy strategy but maybe letting Lebron post up Teague is not a bad thing, that way he doesn't get other people involved I guess, specially Korver.

Mood

I honestly dont think the switching on PnRs was a bad strategy.

Cleveland hit a lot of contested jumpers today. They actually played very well minus free throws. We can definitely compete with them, especially at home.
    2017 NBA Champions

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog! Pacersalltheway10's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Crazy strategy but maybe letting Lebron post up Teague is not a bad thing, that way he doesn't get other people involved I guess, specially Korver.
    Except that it's an automatic 2 points when it happens. I re-watched the game and LeBron scored on Teague every single time except once.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Except that it's an automatic 2 points when it happens. I re-watched the game and LeBron scored on Teague every single time except once.
    Yeah but is one of those things were you let the star get his and nobody else get anything.