Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/15/2017 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #1: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

streets ahead

Default 4/15/2017 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #1: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

YOU COME AT THE KING,
    YOU BEST NOT MISS

Game Time Start: 3:00 PM ET
    Where: Quicken Loans, Cleveland, OH
    Officials: Scott Foster, Matt Boland, Tony Brothers, Nick Buchert

Media Notes: Indiana Notes, Cleveland Notes
    Television:
    Radio: WFNI 1070 AM, 107.5 FM / WTAM 1100 FM / Radio
    NBA Feeds: NBA Audio & Broadband League Pass (subscription req'd)

REMINDER: Per PD policy, please do not share a link to, describe how to search for, request a link to, or request a PM about streaming video of a NBA game that is not coming directly through the NBA. Not even in a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean" round-about sort of way.
    Thank you

Season Records: (W-L)
    42-40
    Away: 13-28
    Season: 1-3
    51-31
    Home: 31-10
    Season: 3-1
    Upcoming Games:
    April 04
    April 06
    April 08
    at
    vs
    vs
    TNT - 7:00pm
    TNT - 7:00pm
    ABC - 1:00pm

Projected Starting Lineup:
    TURNER
    YOUNG
    GEORGE
    ELLIS
    TEAGUE
    Projected Starting Lineup:
    THOMPSON
    LOVE
    JAMES
    SMITH
    IRVING

PACERS
    Al Jefferson - questionable (sprained left ankle)
    Glenn Robinson III - out (sore left calf)

CAVALIERS
    Kay Felder - questionable (left ankle sprain)

Minimally Relevant Video:

Semi-Relevant Video:

Ball Don't Lie:
    Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Indiana Pacers
    Kelly Dwyer

How They Got Here

ē Cleveland: The Cavs helped, to be sure. The teamís sensible and dignified reaction
    toward winning its first championship mostly carried over into the regular seasonís first weeks,
    and you can forgive the fits and fulminations that filled the 2016-17 seasonís middle months after
    considering the idea that LeBron James and Co. are clearly rather sensitive about their window to
    win a second straight title.

LeBron especially has proven prone to throwing a bit of a fit over things he canít change, as fans
    would hope (from a franchise player who cares) even after acknowledging that LeBronís midseason
    moanfests were clearly less than productive, that they did not and never could move that proverbial
    needle all that much. The Cavs lost 15 of 26 to finish 2016-17.

This didnít get in the way of a good year in total, even if it will mean the Cavaliers enter the
    postseason with a win total (51) lower than repeat champion in decades past from Miami, Los
    Angeles or Chicago. The last time a defending champion entered the playoffs with a win total this
    low, LeBronís 54-win Miami Heat dragged their way toward the playoffs and a Finals defeat in 2014
    before James decided that his time and Miami had reached an end.

Those are the obvious announcements. Whatís leaked into your typical coverage is the news that
    the Cavaliers have ranked amongst the leagueís worst defensive teams over the seasonís final
    month and a half, and that they also enter the postseason with a defensive ranking (21st) that
    only reminds of the 2001 Lakers and 1995 Rockets among recent champions in his heft.

The backers will point to the teamís absurdly-great offense, the scads of injuries to key players
    throughout, and the fact that even after the proverbial needle stayed where it was, the flip has yet
    to be touched by design Ė save for a few moments of regular season brilliance.

The wagering types will point to a more important fact: Cleveland enters the 2017 postseason fully
    healthy. Thereís a nick here and there Ė Kyrie Irving is minding a knee injury, Kevin Love had
    midseason knee surgery, LeBron James led the NBA in minutes per game at age 32 for some reason
    Ė but the team appears to be ready for the chance to beat your four times in seven tries.

ē Indiana: Itís the Pacersí role to take things to seven tries, or five and then six, and itís a
    role past Pacer teams seemed curiously suited for.

This yearís unit? Even after 82 games and nearly seven full months together, weíre still not sure
    what to make of this group.

Created in response to what team president Larry Bird felt was a stilted, too-slow approach, Bird
    infamously hired slow-down maestro Nate McMillan last summer before what turned out to be a
    42-win season. Hilarious to both basketball and wordplay dorks, the Pacer pace dropped seven
    slots to below league average at 18th out of 30 teams under McMillan in 2016-17.

This isnít to say the former SuperSonics and Trail Blazers coach didnít do a good job, because he
    did: Indianaís offense shot up ten spots and though they took fewer threes this season (fourth-
    least in the NBA, weird for a team hurriedly built for pace and space under Bird), the Pacers
    ranked in the top five in three-point percentage. Indiana dropped out of the top five and into the
    ranks of the mediocre (where theyíve only improved to offensively, as well) on defense, and the
    squad responded with three fewer wins than during Frank Vogelís uneasy 2015-16 run.

Perhaps this is why Paul George has been significantly upset all season long, confused by his teamís
    construction. If anything, George should be commended for limiting what could have been a
    boisterous, daily approach to the confusion, and McMillan has done a fine job creating something
    somewhat average out of this roster. Even if the Pacers were maddening in their inconsistency
    throughout.

The Pacers decided to do something about that maddening inconsistency by signing Lance
    Stephenson to a three-year contract with just a few weeks to in the regular season, much to
    LeBronís chagrin.

Head-To-Head

The regular season run got off to a sordid start in Indianapolis, just a week into the season,
    offering...CONTINUE READING AT BALL DON'T LIE

SBNation:
    Can Cleveland return to their postseason form? If not, someone may knock them off.
    Tim Cato

The playoffs are finally here. Thank god.

Click?

Whether the Cleveland Cavaliers can flick the switch on and click into place now that games
    matter and the postseason has emerged is a huge question for everyone. If they have, then
    expect to see them back in the Finals (almost certainly in a Golden State rematch). If not...

Itís been a strange year for the Cavaliers, who at times looked checked out and in other instances
    looked like they were trying to hide the fact that they were checked out. They still finished 51-31,
    but they lost the No. 1 seed in the seasonís waning moments after a resounding victory against
    Boston with just a few games to go should have clinched it. And while LeBron James deserves all
    the talk about the MVP race that he has received, not a single one of his teammates had a great
    year front to back.

James is up against a familiar foe, although they look dramatically different. The Indiana Pacers
    are very familiar with the James-led Miami Heat teams from earlier this decade, and theyíve never
    been able to beat him. Until a few weeks ago, the only key player that remained for the Pacers
    was Paul George, their superstar who closed the season with vigor. However, a recent reunion
    with Lance Stephenson brings more of the old crew back for a nostalgic rematch.

Of course, beating James wasnít doable when they were the No. 1 seed. It wonít magically become
    more likely with them barely squeaking into the No. 7 seed on the final day of the season. Despite
    all the disparaging things I said about Cleveland right above, we all know how deadly they can be
    at their best. Theyíre the reigning champs! They have the best player in the world! Those two
    things together are pretty damning.

Cleveland likely wonít be tested too terribly hard in this series. But whether they beat Indiana
    quickly or struggle a bit might indicate whether they really do have the switch.

KEY MATCHUP: Myles Turner vs. Tristan Thompson

Indianaís secret weapon...CONTINUE READING AT SBNATION

140 Characters of (Non-PD) Coverage

Pacers
    Nate Taylor @ByNateTaylor
    Scott Agness @ScottAgness
    Jared Wade @8pts9secs
    Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s
    Tom Lewis @indycornrows
    Whitney @its_whitney

Cavaliers
    Dave McMenamin @mcten
    Joe Vardon @joevardon
    John Krolik @JohnKrolik
    Jason Lloyd @JasonLloydABJ
    Brendan Bowers @BowersCLE
    Angelo Benedetti @CavsFangelo
    This is the darkest timeline.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 4/15/2017 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #1: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

Did we really get that officiating crew?
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

Default Re: 4/15/2017 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #1: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

Quote Originally Posted by Drewtone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes. Oddly, we had Scott Foster and Tony Brothers for Game 1 last year, too.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Yes. Oddly, we had Scott Foster and Tony Brothers for Game 1 last year, too.
    So who guards them?
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Drewtone View Post
    Gotta protect their investment. Keep things in order.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

One last reminder to enter the bracket league. 90 mins to do so.

https://www.nbabracketology.com/group/view/8220
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

Sports Logo

are you ready guys, 1.30am sunday in ulaanbaatar\mongolia here

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funk31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by funk31 View Post
    are you ready guys, 1.30am sunday in ulaanbaatar\mongolia here
    You wearing your C.J. Miles replica jersey?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LG33 View Post
    You wearing your C.J. Miles replica jersey?
    for sure, with holding scissors haha

16. The Following User Says Thank You to funk31 For This Useful Post:

Got my PG1's just in time for the playoffs. Unfortunately I gotta go to work an hour into the game.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Leggo Pacers leggo! Go get it!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Scott Foster AND Tony Brothers.

OH FFS.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

UPSET

Let's shock the world

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Scott Foster AND Tony Brothers.

OH FFS.
    QFT! How did we draw this crew!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

gahhh the nerves... I love playoff basketball

watching the pregame you think the Pacers werent playing today...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    QFT! How did we draw this crew!
    Gee, I wonder?

Mood

Hey guys - PD isn't working on Tapatalk for me, and I post here via my phone during games... So I probably won't be active, or nearly AS active as I normally would be.

Sorry. =\

But... Regardless of what happens. We're here, and let's give it every damn thing we got!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What channel is the Pacers pre-game show? All I'm seeing is Cavaliers talk.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorgeForPresident For This Useful Post:

Jalen Rose and Chauncey talking about the Raptors and the Wizards taking down the Cavs.

A ball hasn't even been bounced yet. Show some respect FFS.
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

Chauncy fk off

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Hey guys - PD isn't working on Tapatalk for me, and I post here via my phone during games... So I probably won't be active, or nearly AS active as I normally would be.

Sorry. =\

But... Regardless of what happens. We're here, and let's give it every damn thing we got!
    tapatalk nonsense is working for no one, however you can use a browser on most smartphones, and that works fine
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

CB saying that we only can win a game with luck...wtf is this?

American people are stupid? wtf...sorry guys, nothing against you, but american commentators look really stupid at times.

Off course we have a chance to win, and off course we can win more than one game, OMFG

i already hate the ABC coverage, what can i say, they left it all to the Cavs Home Crap Channel
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Thad is our X factor