Thread: Let's Talk about JO Passing from the Double Team

Default Let's Talk about JO Passing from the Double Team

They gave him 6 assists tonight, but I actually thought he had more than that. A lot of those must have been "the pass that led to the assist."

I can't say enough good things about Jermaine's passing tonight. It was the biggest difference between this game and the others, in my opinion.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Let's Talk about JO Passing from the Double Team

This is the difference between a star and a superstar.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

The thing that got me was it wasn't just one kind of pass. He hit post guys, cutters, and spot-up shooters.

He's done it before (in the Year of The Quick) but not since Carlisle got here. We've argued over the reason (coaching? willingess?) but it doesn't really matter. The fact is, tonight he did it, did it all, and did it well.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

His NOT doing it in the Year of the Quick vs Boston was a major reason you lost that series. Of course as well as the team was playing I might not've passed either.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

3ptmiller

Yea u see? Miracles happen when he starts passing the ball.. Thats what i was talking/complaining about the whole season!! JO needs to pass more... everybody was like "No, JO should always take that shot even when he is doubled!", damn i love being correct!

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea u see? Miracles happen when he starts passing the ball.. Thats what i was talking/complaining about the whole season!! JO needs to pass more... everybody was like "No, JO should always take that shot even when he is doubled!", damn i love being correct!
    Actually, everyone thought that he should pass out....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    His NOT doing it in the Year of the Quick vs Boston was a major reason you lost that series. Of course as well as the team was playing I might not've passed either.
    This is actually more insightful than many might think. If you are a star and your team doesn't play very well, you tend to keep the ball. And what happens? The team gets worse.

You need to trust each other to do your job. If there is no trust, it's really hard to win. It seems like JO is getting better now after the injury, as if his broken body is actually HELPING his game (as a teammate) rather than hurting it.

Am I the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    There were about a million reasons we lost that series, his poor passing was pretty low on the list. No question, though, that he didn't do it much after the all-star break. But we'd pretty much given up on The Quick by then. It was earlier in the year that he was passing well. I don't think he's ever done it consistently for a season.

That said, I've never seen him pass like he did tonight. He's had more assists, but I've never seen him with the kind of variety I saw tonight.

Enjoy your time at PD!

You might remember that I am defending JO time and time again on his passing skills, I am sure he has them, as sure as I am that he plays within the offense set by the coach.

He is meant to finish, not pass, tonight they deviated, only Rick knows why.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able
    You might remember that I am defending JO time and time again on his passing skills, I am sure he has them, as sure as I am that he plays within the offense set by the coach.

He is meant to finish, not pass, tonight they deviated, only Rick knows why.
    I disagree... JO simply gets away with it because he's the annointed leader and future of the franchise and they are hoping he 'gets it' eventually. There can be no way Carlisle wants JO shooting into doubleteams or forcing fadeaways to the degree that we've seen. Maybe somebody got thru to him... or maybe the smaller defensive players on the court allowed him a better view of the court.

But whatever the reason... give us more! More More More!!!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I think Boston's smaller line up help his court vision.

I also think that JO plays the way Rick tells him. I haven't heard a team complaint about Jo shooting the ball. I have heard complaints about the plays Rick called.