Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Paul George WORTH 35% of the cap?

Default Re: Is Paul George WORTH 35% of the cap?

Question is a little too yes or no for me. Is Paul worth 35% of the Pacers Salary? Is anyone worth that much of a 15 man roster Salary? I have no doubt the Ps will pay PG up to 35%. The important part is, what do we surround him with? Teams like Cleveland, GSW and many others to deeply into LT to surround their Superstars with adequate help. Will the Pacers? If not, then there is a good possibility the Pacers will pay PG his money and not be able to make the team any better than it is right now.
    Will paying PG 35% of total team salary make the team any or much better than we are right now? That's the real question for me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question is a little too yes or no for me. Is Paul worth 35% of the Pacers Salary? Is anyone worth that much of a 15 man roster Salary? I have no doubt the Ps will pay PG up to 35%. The important part is, what do we surround him with? Teams like Cleveland, GSW and many others to deeply into LT to surround their Superstars with adequate help. Will the Pacers? If not, then there is a good possibility the Pacers will pay PG his money and not be able to make the team any better than it is right now.
    Will paying PG 35% of total team salary make the team any or much better than we are right now? That's the real question for me.
    Thank you. This is exactly my point but I wasn't getting it across this well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DieHard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    Why do you think this? We almost made the playoffs behind the play of Solo and Chris Copeland. If PG walks for nothing, then it's a possibility. But a trade that brings back young talent and a few draft picks, within 3 years we'll be back into 7th place in the East.

I don't think he is worth it until you look at it the context that if signed today, Monta and CJ will just about make that. If I had the money and the two options were 1.) PG and Niang or 2.) Monta and CJ, give me option 1.

However, that Boston trade offer was more enticing than paying PG 35%.
    The league has several franchises who have had 6 or more lottery picks over the last decade but with very little to show for it. See T-wolves, Philly, Suns, Trailblazers, Hornets, pistons, Jazz, Bucks, Kings etc. OKC & GSW are really the only legit exceptions..

Bird in the hand blah, blah, blah but if the choice is to sign George to the super max or go back in the lottery this off season you have to grit your teeth and sign the contract. Neither option is great but that is the better option.

Best case is sign George to the regular max and work with the extra cap space but don't think that will be an option given PG's play the last two months.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

sav

Lol

pay that man now

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tora tora For This Useful Post:

It's obvious we've got to keep him but if we sign him to that kind of money we've got to pay to put a real team around him. Stretch Al Jefferson and be clever this of season to do whatever it takes to get another all Star on the roster, luxury tax be damned. I hope that is the plan. That's all I'm trying to say.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DieHard For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nevermind.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Absolutely. We'll give PG every single penny that we can and he will be 100% worth it. The question isn't whether PG is worth the money that we'll throw to him. The question is whether he wants to stay here or not.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Sports Logo

right now he is worth 50% of this team

To me, it seems like there may be more of a chance for him to leave if the rest of the team doesn't step up. Today you could tell he was very frustrated with Teague, CJ, and even Turner at certain points and you could tell he felt the need to try to win it himself...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

YES
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sports Logo

HELL NO...You need money left over to get MORE players.

Paul George is probably worth 31-33% of the cap, and Bird should try negotiate the contract as such. At 31-33% of the cap, Indiana can STILL pay him more money than other team. Period. Just because they can pay him 35%, it doesn't mean that they should.

EDIT: It's kinda stupid to think it's okay for Indiana to pay Paul George that type of money, then expect Free Agents to take discounts to play with Paul George. People want Bird to be cheap with free agents, but then get mad when he does bring in bargain players.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 04-15-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post

GSW was fine without Durant. I think signing him was a panic move. As for Cleveland, many would argue that the Cavs would not have had to spend this money had they kept Wiggins. Who looks better now than Love does. Love is physically not the player he used to be. All he can do now really is spot up in the corner. Wiggins is an "athlete." Cleveland also overpaid a bunch of players like Thompson and Smith. They're also overpaying to keep Lebron happy. There doesn't seem to be a real strategy to the front office moves.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    GSW was fine without Durant. I think signing him was a panic move. As for Cleveland, many would argue that the Cavs would not have had to spend this money had they kept Wiggins. Who looks better now than Love does. Love is physically not the player he used to be. All he can do now really is spot up in the corner. Wiggins is an "athlete." Cleveland also overpaid a bunch of players like Thompson and Smith. They're also overpaying to keep Lebron happy. There doesn't seem to be a real strategy to the front office moves.
    Plus, the Warriors are CLEARLY paying their top players below market value.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state_warriors/

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Plus, the Warriors are CLEARLY paying their top players below market value.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state_warriors/
    Timing also. Contract timing has a lot to do with how teams construct a roster. For example, we are lucky to have Myles on the deal he is on. Which is why we can't waste time. Myles as he gets better will surely draw a contract offer in RFA.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Without PG, this team probably wins less than 65% of the games they won this season. So, yes, he is worth 35% of the cap.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

I still don't think he is worth it but I rather pay PG that kind of money than Conley, Conley's contract is gross.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

No not worth it.

It will just cripple the team.

It boston lost the 1st round, best opportunity to trade paul george.....

Right now, Paul George might be worth 70% of the cap.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

This is a no brainer right now. He's the only player who's consistently brought it all series and is playing at a superstar level. I honestly think he's the most talented Pacer we've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This is a no brainer right now. He's the only player who's consistently brought it all series and is playing at a superstar level. I honestly think he's the most talented Pacer we've ever had.
    He's the most talented NBA Pacer, without question.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

After watching last night, I'd like to see the Pacers trade first round pick(s) to shed Ellis and Jefferson's salaries to make a free agent run at Gordon Hayward. Or at least try to pair PG with Melo or Jimmy Butler in a trade. Bottom line, I think we need to show PG that we're 'all in' and worry about the consequences later because if he leaves, the franchise is going to be decimated for a solid 5 seasons regardless.

For the 'trade PG and build around Myles Turner' bandwagon, I just don't see the same superstar qualities in Turner that I saw in a young PG. It doesn't mean that I don't think Turner will be an all-star for us, but I'm starting to think he may more in the 'LaMarcus Aldridge' mold of all-star than true franchise cornerstone such as a 'Kevin Garnett'. Too much deer in the headlights look last night and not nearly enough aggressiveness for 48 minutes.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    After watching last night, I'd like to see the Pacers trade first round pick(s) to shed Ellis and Jefferson's salaries to make a free agent run at Gordon Hayward. Or at least try to pair PG with Melo or Jimmy Butler in a trade. Bottom line, I think we need to show PG that we're 'all in' and worry about the consequences later because if he leaves, the franchise is going to be decimated for a solid 5 seasons regardless.

For the 'trade PG and build around Myles Turner' bandwagon, I just don't see the same superstar qualities in Turner that I saw in a young PG. It doesn't mean that I don't think Turner will be an all-star for us, but I'm starting to think he may more in the 'LaMarcus Aldridge' mold of all-star than true franchise cornerstone such as a 'Kevin Garnett'. Too much deer in the headlights look last night and not nearly enough aggressiveness for 48 minutes.
    Yep, it's time to go all in to bring in someone like Hayward or Butler. Like you said, if PG leaves, this franchise will be set back several years. If that means moving our draft pick and/or Turner, then so be it.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Right now, Paul George might be worth 70% of the cap.
    Only fair considering he is job description is to do 70% of everything or it's his fault.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I don't think PG is perfect though. He's definitely a superstar in my eyes, but he also has work to do with his body language and throwing his hands up about calls in-game. His teammates feed off that, and I think he needs to let his body language and composure still show that, 'Hey guys, we've still got this...'. However, that's still something he can grow into as he's still only what, 26 years old? It's not until guys are 27 or 28 that I expect them to be who be 'veteran leaders'.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post: