Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Paul George WORTH 35% of the cap?

Default Is Paul George WORTH 35% of the cap?

I love PG. I hope he makes all NBA and re-signs, but what is our team going to look like with him taking up so much of the cap? The Pacers have always operated on a budget and I'm concerned that that contract could cripple the team and end up making us worse. The Kings faced the same thing with Cousins and decided to trade him. I haven't seen this point discussed much and am interested to hear some opinions.

Default Re: Is Paul George WORTH 35% of the cap?

Who else are we going to convince to play in Indy? No player of PG's caliber will want to sign in Indy (especially without PG being here)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog! Pacersalltheway10's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

For me he is and he isn't. I think he is max but not supermax player overall but talent like his is not so easily acquired so you have to pay him. Will he cost the team the financial flexibility to build a complete overall team? Maybe but you can not attract other star players if you have no star player yourself and you can not assume another PG is on the horizon if you let trade him away for picks.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Short answer is no he is not. There might be three players in the whole league worth 35% of the cap.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Short answer is no he is not. There might be three players in the whole league worth 35% of the cap.
    But would you pay him?

So we have Paul on this super Max deal, another Star wants to sign here, will Simon pull the trigger? I'm not convinced. I'm​afraid we're in a no win situation.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DieHard For This Useful Post:

Diehard concern if I understand him is that paying 35% will cripple the team. My short answer to that is to draft better and role players can be easily found to surround him with.

Edit: I just say your response. In a special case scenario the Simon family may go over the cap. He just said it in the article posted today.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

I just think that if we are going to give him that money we need to be willing to pay the luxury tax to compete or else what is the point? If we're not willing to pay the tax we might as well start rebuilding now.

Yes. Without him Indiana is a bottom 5 team in the East

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

Not quite worth it statistically, but when you consider the effect that losing PG would have on the other players, the fanbase, potential free agents, etc, it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard View Post
    I just think that if we are going to give him that money we need to be willing to pay the luxury tax to compete or else what is the point? If we're not willing to pay the tax we might as well start rebuilding now.
    IF you look at the GSW, Spurs, and the OKC when they had Durant it all starts with the draft. The Pacers can compete for a championship if they draft well and that is a better formula for a small market. I think if the Simon family had Westbrook, Durant, and James Harden they would be willing to go over the cap to keep all three. The problem with OKC is that they bet on the wrong guy (Ibaka) and gave the money to him rather than James Harden. MY point though is that if the Pacers draft well then surrounding PG with talent shouldn't be a problem.

I want to say no but when the report I saw today say decent starters are going to command 14 mil, then I say yes. To me, I say we'd be better off with like the Boston trade of Zeller, Brown and 2 picks (4 players for less than one). But if the best you can do to spend the money on Monta level players at 14 mil each, I say pay PG. On one hand, PG is worth 2 Montas but on the other hand Brown and those 2 picks (or any other young player plus picks combo) might turn out to produce more than 1 PG. This is a tough decision. Both scenarios have pros and cons.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

I hope you're right about Simon being willing to pay. I agree that we will need to build through the draft, but OKC drafted those guys with to five picks. We're likely to be staying outside of the lottery. That model is not viable imo.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes. He absolutely is

Also you aren't winning a championship without a guy who is worth that.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

he sure is

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think any player is worth 35% of the cap, heck I don't think any player is worth the NBA minimum. All pro athletes are overpaid.

But getting back to the reality of the NBA world, no Paul is not worth 35% of the cap but I would pay him. As others have stated, we need a player of his caliber in order to compete and we are not a hot spot for high quality free agents. You also never know for sure what you are getting in the draft, just look at Greg Oden as one example.

If we make smart moves, we can still contend after paying Paul his 35%. Simon has stated that they will pay the luxury tax if we need one more player in order to get a championship. We can't afford to sign guys like Jefferson who clearly does not fit the style we want to play...plus he is clearly past his prime.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Yes he is.

Lebron is worth probably 65% of the Cavs cap though

30. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I'll sidestep the "worth it?" question and suggest that paying PG 35% of the cap is like buying a large house: there's more to the cost than just the mortgage (salary). I was glad to read Herb reiterate (from years ago) that he is willing to go above the cap in the right situation (championship contention). We're going to have to get lucky, though, in adding to our talent by either (1) signing another star player, (2) getting an aging former star at a discount, (3) developing current talent on the roster, on the Mad Ants or via trade, or (4) through the draft. These objectives don't change from year to year, but PG taking up such a large chunk of our cap space puts a premium on each. Regarding the draft, I think it's more important than ever that we buy an extra first-round pick, if available.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Yes.

Without him, we might as well not have a team. So yes.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    But would you pay him?
    What choice do we have?

Easily yes. Dudes like Otto Porter and KCP are likely going to get maxes (smaller maxes, but still crazy money) this year. Signing someone like George Hill and Plumlee this year would likely cost more than PG's supermax. It is the easiest no brainer ever.

Yes, without hesitation
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Yes. He's a top 10 player.