Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: So how do we view the season now?

  1. #51
    Peace Dog D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sonic Temple
    Posts
    8,865

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Don't remember what I said. 44-ish wins? Whatever the case, what became crystal clear as the season progressed is this team needs more talent, and particularly at the starting 2. Lance's ability to play "point" for the second unit has really helped CJ, Seraphin, and Brooks a lot. Don't think GRIII is a difference maker as a starter. We need shooting and more physicality from our starting SG position. An upgrade at starting PF spot wouldn't hurt, but Thad is solid and might work well enough with a significant improvemnt at the 2.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

    sav

  3. #52
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,784

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said 46 wins in my prediction, but I did that simply because I figured they would do that to me just to burn my *** about Frank. But if I was truly honest I would have always said that the team was about 38-40 wins. I mean when people talk about the talent they have I just look at the roster and say that I just don't understand basketball anymore at all if this is supposed to be a good roster.

    Our guard corpse consisted of Monta, Rodney, Joe Young and a brand new point guard in Jeff Teague. How anyone could look at that and think, yea that's a winner is beyond me. Monta is a real puzzler because truth be told he is just a shorter less talented Lance (suck it vnzla81 ), in other words he has to have the ball in his hands to be productive. Yet here we are year two of him trying to make him be something he never has been (a spot up shooter). Nothing is more fun in life than watching Teague drive the lane and draw defenders to kick it to a wide open Monta who the proceeds to drive the lane as well. If we were committed to Monta then in all honesty getting Teague was a mistake, we should have went out and got a shooter to play along side Monta and let him be the point.

    Rodney Stucky is just an even less talented version of Monta Ellis, except that Monta can actually suit up most games and Rodney would often times twist an ankle in the layup line. Joe Young? He's just trash so there is nothing there.

    Not to mention that by playing sub atomic players in the back court we were getting murdered on the glass every single night.

    Now look at these wings and tell me you a solid winning rotation.

    Paul George, well duh of course he's great so there is that. But after him you have C.J. Miles and GR3. Really???? I mean c'mon!!! If you look under streaky in the dictionary you will see C.J. Miles, he can shoot you in our out of a game but overall he is just meh. GR3 got some confidence when he won that dunk contest but up until then you had to wonder if there were nights he wanted to hide on the bench because he didn't look like he wanted to play.

    Our power forwards (I use that term very loosely) were even worse.

    Thad Young, LaVoy Allen, Kevin Seraphine and ultimately Christmas.

    Thad tries but he literally is smaller than Paul George. I don't care about his wrist he has been atrocious most of the season on the glass and while he is crafty around the basket he often is giving up as much as he is giving. LaVoy Allen is the most frustrating player who has ever lived. On nights you watch him set hard screens, go after tough rebounds and put in shots around the rim and you think, yea that's the stuff. But then the next five nights you'll be watching and he will check out of the game and you are going, Oh crap i forgot he has played the last 7 minutes wow he did nothing out there. Seraphine has been a mystery to me, when he played I thought for the most part he played well. But Nate did not like using him for some reason, it could be he was out of shape and that is what caused it or something else I have no idea. But now that he has settled into the backup 5 spot he seems productive at least. Christmas looks like a good bench player but let's be real your not winning or losing based on his game.

    Center was second year Myles Turner and Al Jefferson.

    Myles had a up and down sophomore year. I really got disgusted with him by mid season for his lack of physical game. I'm not expecting him to be like Andre Drummond or nothing but there were some nights where he was playing 30+ minutes and grabbing 4 rebounds. Hell Roy did better than that. He also got lost on defense a lot this year and well that dead eye jump shot faded as the year went on. There are still great things ahead but we had the typical growing pains that you would expect from him.

    Al Jefferson? Here I'll just show you a video I shot of Al this season



    Al still has good low post offensive moves but on his best days he is just a liability on defense, on his worst he is a disaster.

    Again, to me when i view that roster I do not see a real winner or contender. There are players who can be on a winner or contender but we still need upgrades at several key positions going into the off season no matter how we do vs. the Cavs.
    Thanked for the sloth.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  5. #53
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,589

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't remember what I said. 44-ish wins? Whatever the case, what became crystal clear as the season progressed is this team needs more talent, and particularly at the starting 2. Lance's ability to play "point" for the second unit has really helped CJ, Seraphin, and Brooks a lot. Don't think GRIII is a difference maker as a starter. We need shooting and more physicality from our starting SG position. An upgrade at starting PF spot wouldn't hurt, but Thad is solid and might work well enough with a significant improvemnt at the 2.
    I disagree. I think rebounding has been the most significant issue of the team and Myles Turner isn't physical enough. I like Thad as a player and I think he would fit well next to a really physical center like a Rudy Gobert, but I think the team needs an upgrade at PF the most. If you upgraded the 4 spot, I think you could get away with a role player at the 2, possibly GRIII. You would just need a guy who can space and defend. Especially with a guy like Lance coming in off the bench (and potentially finishing games) I think a basic 3 and D starting two would be fine.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:


  7. #54
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,589

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Talent wasn't as good as many of us thought. One thing that us never mentioned. Sure we brought in some pretty good players, but new lost some pretty good players. It isn't like we just added Teague and Thad to what we had, they replaced players.

    The mix of players wasn't right.

    I probably listen to national NBA media as much as anyone - listen to NBA Radio, watch NBATV, watch a ton of non-Pacers games and most knowledgeable NBA people think the Pacers are PG and really nothing else. Teague is a nice point guard, but he is an average point guard mainly because of how many great pts there are now. Turner is a young big with potential.

    Another thing you don't know how a team will fit together until you actually put them together and see. Who knew the 2013 cast of players would fit so well together, this years team not so much

    Also keep in mind Vegas had the over / under at 43.5, so we were right there
    Losing Mahimni was an underrated factor. Myles Turner wasn't really ready to make quite that jump (in fairness, he'd be a shoo in for MIP if he did) and I really think this was a big factor in the defense taking a slide.

    It was still the right move to make because you need to see if Turner is ready and he's been pretty good, paying Ian all that money would have been a mistake with your 5 of the future already on the team. I think it negatively affected the team more than I expected. I think the Al Jefferson signing did not work out like expected either.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:


  9. #55
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,784

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Ian was boring and easy to take for granted. But he did indeed play an important role. So much of life you don't appreciate until it's taken from you.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  11. #56
    Member sav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    3,321

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't remember what I said. 44-ish wins? Whatever the case, what became crystal clear as the season progressed is this team needs more talent, and particularly at the starting 2. Lance's ability to play "point" for the second unit has really helped CJ, Seraphin, and Brooks a lot. Don't think GRIII is a difference maker as a starter. We need shooting and more physicality from our starting SG position. An upgrade at starting PF spot wouldn't hurt, but Thad is solid and might work well enough with a significant improvemnt at the 2.
    Call me crazy ( I can't believe I am going to say this) but I think next year I would have Lance as the starting pg. Sign a 3 & D wing and improve the bench.

    With Lance, PG13, player X and TYoung, you would have 4 players that are pretty much interchangeable on defense. We could switch a lot and not have to worry about mismatches. We would also have size and some length which would help us match up better with teams like Milwaukee. Offensively, Lance needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He can drive to the basket and dish off to a good shooter.

    We definitely need to get rid of Jefferson and ideally Ellis. Bring in a true pg to back up Lance, use GRIII as the main backup wing. Draft an athletic PF to back up TYoung...and eventually replace him. Find a rim protector (Seraphin?) to back up Turner.

  12. #57
    Indy not China BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    22,391

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Call me crazy ( I can't believe I am going to say this) but I think next year I would have Lance as the starting pg. Sign a 3 & D wing and improve the bench.

    With Lance, PG13, player X and TYoung, you would have 4 players that are pretty much interchangeable on defense. We could switch a lot and not have to worry about mismatches. We would also have size and some length which would help us match up better with teams like Milwaukee. Offensively, Lance needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He can drive to the basket and dish off to a good shooter.

    We definitely need to get rid of Jefferson and ideally Ellis. Bring in a true pg to back up Lance, use GRIII as the main backup wing. Draft an athletic PF to back up TYoung...and eventually replace him. Find a rim protector (Seraphin?) to back up Turner.
    Not a crazy thought. Lance needs to get his game back up to where he was in 2013. If he does that, he could easily handle the starting PG spot. He did that on the 2013 team. George Hill was actually playing SG when the chips were down and the Pacers needed to score against Miami.

  13. #58
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,343

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    5 game wining streak. I'm not impressed. The Hawks didn't play their 5 best players. The Magic and Sixers gave up a long long time ago. The Raptors game was at home and pacers did trail by 19 points in the second quarter. The Bucks game was probably the best, but the Bucks ended the season 42-40, not exactly a great team there. Pacers should best .500 teams at home. And perhaps more importantly, no back to backs at all during this stretch

    I figure the two parts of the season to get some cheap wins? First 10 games and last 10 games. Last ten games a lot of teams have shelved their best players, many teams are either resting guys for the playoffs or just sitting half injured players in order to play the younger guys.
    You made it well know that your jaded about Lance coming back, so tof course you aren't impressed.

  14. #59
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

    Mark me down for still thinking this team has talent and needed time to gel.

    Yea we gotta rid of guys but both were injured all season this year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •