Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So how do we view the season now?

Default Re: So how do we view the season now?

We won fewer games and unless a miracle happens we're not getting out of the first round so it's really no more complicated than that, this season was a failure. That doesn't mean that I won't enjoy the playoffs while they last. I just hope we get great games out of our core and they can take that into next season. Right now keeping Paul George is all that matters and I hope Paul comes out this series even more hungry to see his team become a winning team again.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When we signed Monta, another team (Memphis?) actually offered him more $, but he picked Indiana because his wife was going to law school in the area. Everyone thought Jeffrerson was a great contract at the time; no one thought he would come in (and stay) so out of shape as to be useless.
    A lot of us didn't want Ellis and Stuckey when we desperately needed front court help after losing West and Hibbert and here we are 2 years later still in desperate need of a front court player with one hair on his ***. Bird has done a horrible job in free agency over the past few years.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    We gained a good guy. A more humble Lance Stephenson. A guy who has learned full well to feel fortunate to be in Indiana. A guy who will be loyal to Bird and the franchise to the death. We got him at a bargain basement price. His team mates love him. It is truly a match made in heaven.
    I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but a reason for Lance's odd three year contract is that the Pacers will be able to have his full Bird rights when he becomes a free agent again. Really smart move.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The regular season has been a ride, man. We had winning streaks, losing streaks, player meetings, trade deadline rumors, a disgruntled star, injuries, and the return of Lance Stephenson. This was one of the most unpredictable Pacers seasons I can recall. Where I really soured on this team was the 15 or 16 game stretch of alternating wins and losses. Just felt like they were never going to get it together.

I had high hopes for the season, expected probably third or fourth seed. So, seventh is disappointing without a doubt. There are so many unknown factors when you look forward, too, which I feel like a more cohesive and successful season could've alleviated quite a bit.

Ultimately, seasons are judged by post-seasons, so my final opinion of the team will have to come later. As of right now, I feel like this team has a lot of room to improve, and this season was difficult to watch. But the last two weeks are different, and the playoffs are another animal altogether.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    5 game wining streak. I'm not impressed. The Hawks didn't play their 5 best players. The Magic and Sixers gave up a long long time ago. The Raptors game was at home and pacers did trail by 19 points in the second quarter. The Bucks game was probably the best, but the Bucks ended the season 42-40, not exactly a great team there. Pacers should best .500 teams at home. And perhaps more importantly, no back to backs at all during this stretch

I figure the two parts of the season to get some cheap wins? First 10 games and last 10 games. Last ten games a lot of teams have shelved their best players, many teams are either resting guys for the playoffs or just sitting half injured players in order to play the younger guys.
    What is this in reference to? I don't think anyone is okay with the season we had because of the last 5 games.

Did it save face a little? Sure, but everyone is saying they're still disappointed.

I said 46 wins in my prediction, but I did that simply because I figured they would do that to me just to burn my *** about Frank. But if I was truly honest I would have always said that the team was about 38-40 wins. I mean when people talk about the talent they have I just look at the roster and say that I just don't understand basketball anymore at all if this is supposed to be a good roster.

Our guard corpse consisted of Monta, Rodney, Joe Young and a brand new point guard in Jeff Teague. How anyone could look at that and think, yea that's a winner is beyond me. Monta is a real puzzler because truth be told he is just a shorter less talented Lance (suck it vnzla81 ), in other words he has to have the ball in his hands to be productive. Yet here we are year two of him trying to make him be something he never has been (a spot up shooter). Nothing is more fun in life than watching Teague drive the lane and draw defenders to kick it to a wide open Monta who the proceeds to drive the lane as well. If we were committed to Monta then in all honesty getting Teague was a mistake, we should have went out and got a shooter to play along side Monta and let him be the point.

Rodney Stucky is just an even less talented version of Monta Ellis, except that Monta can actually suit up most games and Rodney would often times twist an ankle in the layup line. Joe Young? He's just trash so there is nothing there.

Not to mention that by playing sub atomic players in the back court we were getting murdered on the glass every single night.

Now look at these wings and tell me you a solid winning rotation.

Paul George, well duh of course he's great so there is that. But after him you have C.J. Miles and GR3. Really???? I mean c'mon!!! If you look under streaky in the dictionary you will see C.J. Miles, he can shoot you in our out of a game but overall he is just meh. GR3 got some confidence when he won that dunk contest but up until then you had to wonder if there were nights he wanted to hide on the bench because he didn't look like he wanted to play.

Our power forwards (I use that term very loosely) were even worse.

Thad Young, LaVoy Allen, Kevin Seraphine and ultimately Christmas.

Thad tries but he literally is smaller than Paul George. I don't care about his wrist he has been atrocious most of the season on the glass and while he is crafty around the basket he often is giving up as much as he is giving. LaVoy Allen is the most frustrating player who has ever lived. On nights you watch him set hard screens, go after tough rebounds and put in shots around the rim and you think, yea that's the stuff. But then the next five nights you'll be watching and he will check out of the game and you are going, Oh crap i forgot he has played the last 7 minutes wow he did nothing out there. Seraphine has been a mystery to me, when he played I thought for the most part he played well. But Nate did not like using him for some reason, it could be he was out of shape and that is what caused it or something else I have no idea. But now that he has settled into the backup 5 spot he seems productive at least. Christmas looks like a good bench player but let's be real your not winning or losing based on his game.

Center was second year Myles Turner and Al Jefferson.

Myles had a up and down sophomore year. I really got disgusted with him by mid season for his lack of physical game. I'm not expecting him to be like Andre Drummond or nothing but there were some nights where he was playing 30+ minutes and grabbing 4 rebounds. Hell Roy did better than that. He also got lost on defense a lot this year and well that dead eye jump shot faded as the year went on. There are still great things ahead but we had the typical growing pains that you would expect from him.

Al Jefferson? Here I'll just show you a video I shot of Al this season

Al still has good low post offensive moves but on his best days he is just a liability on defense, on his worst he is a disaster.

Again, to me when i view that roster I do not see a real winner or contender. There are players who can be on a winner or contender but we still need upgrades at several key positions going into the off season no matter how we do vs. the Cavs.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Underachieved, but not terribly. I overestimated the talent on the roster.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hopefully can post more on this topic tomorrow, but I find it a little early to suggest that The Lance effect has turned the team around. He has injected some energy into the team he has provide a lift coming off the bench. But I wonder if it is sort of like when a new coach takes over mid season and you have a honeymoon effect for a few weeks. My question is Lances positive impact temporary?

Like me I said I'll try to post more tomorrow.
    Yeah but they were losing to weak teams until recently. Remember the recent pitiful home losses to Denver and Minny?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-14-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I said 46 wins in my prediction, but I did that simply because I figured they would do that to me just to burn my *** about Frank. But if I was truly honest I would have always said that the team was about 38-40 wins. I mean when people talk about the talent they have I just look at the roster and say that I just don't understand basketball anymore at all if this is supposed to be a good roster.

Our guard corpse consisted of Monta, Rodney, Joe Young and a brand new point guard in Jeff Teague. How anyone could look at that and think, yea that's a winner is beyond me. Monta is a real puzzler because truth be told he is just a shorter less talented Lance (suck it vnzla81 ), in other words he has to have the ball in his hands to be productive. Yet here we are year two of him trying to make him be something he never has been (a spot up shooter). Nothing is more fun in life than watching Teague drive the lane and draw defenders to kick it to a wide open Monta who the proceeds to drive the lane as well. If we were committed to Monta then in all honesty getting Teague was a mistake, we should have went out and got a shooter to play along side Monta and let him be the point.

Rodney Stucky is just an even less talented version of Monta Ellis, except that Monta can actually suit up most games and Rodney would often times twist an ankle in the layup line. Joe Young? He's just trash so there is nothing there.

Not to mention that by playing sub atomic players in the back court we were getting murdered on the glass every single night.

Now look at these wings and tell me you a solid winning rotation.

Paul George, well duh of course he's great so there is that. But after him you have C.J. Miles and GR3. Really???? I mean c'mon!!! If you look under streaky in the dictionary you will see C.J. Miles, he can shoot you in our out of a game but overall he is just meh. GR3 got some confidence when he won that dunk contest but up until then you had to wonder if there were nights he wanted to hide on the bench because he didn't look like he wanted to play.

Our power forwards (I use that term very loosely) were even worse.

Thad Young, LaVoy Allen, Kevin Seraphine and ultimately Christmas.

Thad tries but he literally is smaller than Paul George. I don't care about his wrist he has been atrocious most of the season on the glass and while he is crafty around the basket he often is giving up as much as he is giving. LaVoy Allen is the most frustrating player who has ever lived. On nights you watch him set hard screens, go after tough rebounds and put in shots around the rim and you think, yea that's the stuff. But then the next five nights you'll be watching and he will check out of the game and you are going, Oh crap i forgot he has played the last 7 minutes wow he did nothing out there. Seraphine has been a mystery to me, when he played I thought for the most part he played well. But Nate did not like using him for some reason, it could be he was out of shape and that is what caused it or something else I have no idea. But now that he has settled into the backup 5 spot he seems productive at least. Christmas looks like a good bench player but let's be real your not winning or losing based on his game.

Center was second year Myles Turner and Al Jefferson.

Myles had a up and down sophomore year. I really got disgusted with him by mid season for his lack of physical game. I'm not expecting him to be like Andre Drummond or nothing but there were some nights where he was playing 30+ minutes and grabbing 4 rebounds. Hell Roy did better than that. He also got lost on defense a lot this year and well that dead eye jump shot faded as the year went on. There are still great things ahead but we had the typical growing pains that you would expect from him.

Al Jefferson? Here I'll just show you a video I shot of Al this season

Al still has good low post offensive moves but on his best days he is just a liability on defense, on his worst he is a disaster.

Again, to me when i view that roster I do not see a real winner or contender. There are players who can be on a winner or contender but we still need upgrades at several key positions going into the off season no matter how we do vs. the Cavs.
    I agtee with everything here. Especially about Thad.

I know he's a fan favorite, and while he does a great job of catching passes and finishing in the lane, he is just not a starting caliber PF IMO.

As for the rest of the roster I'll just say that its really telling that a guy who's been out of the league for most of the year and isnt in the best shape yet was able to come in and immediately become one of the staples of the bench rotation.

This roster doesn't scream 50+ wins to me

Peck said,"Not to mention that by playing sub atomic players in the back court we were getting murdered on the glass every single night."

I am very tired of our microscopic lineup of points and shooting guards and even small centers.
    Please sign some big shooting guards and forwards and a physical center to help Myles out.
    Having one like Teague at point who is very quick is good. Stuckey and Monta trying to be shooting guards and then guard 6'7" shooting guards is not going to work.
    Lance at least brings some size to the point, which is really the position he is playing lately as a back up and Brooks is a shooting guard and only because Robinson is injured
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Peck said,"Not to mention that by playing sub atomic players in the back court we were getting murdered on the glass every single night."

I am very tired of our microscopic lineup of points and shooting guards and even small centers.
    Please sign some big shooting guards and forwards and a physical center to help Myles out.
    Having one like Teague at point who is very quick is good. Stuckey and Monta trying to be shooting guards and then guard 6'7" shooting guards is not going to work.
    Lance at least brings some size to the point, which is really the position he is playing lately as a back up and Brooks is a shooting guard and only because Robinson is injured
    The lack of physicality with the starters is stunning. Myles is a paper thin center. Thad Young is too small to be a PF. Paul George isn't exactly Mr. Physical. Jeff Teague is small. Monta is a miniature SG. I don't recall another Pacer team this small ever. I'm not sure if there are many starting units in the NBA this small...if there are any at all.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Depends on whether Paul gets ALL-NBA or not, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The lack of physicality with the starters is stunning. Myles is a paper thin center. Thad Young is too small to be a PF. Paul George isn't exactly Mr. Physical. Jeff Teague is small. Monta is a miniature SG. I don't recall another Pacer team this small ever. I'm not sure if there are many starting units in the NBA this small...if there are any at all.

Agree. The Pacers were one of the larger teams when Hibbert and West were around but they were slower than a glacier or sloth as Peck noted, haha, and that was their downfall.
    So a taller player with some quickness is what I want. If they have that they will be a better defender also come playoff time when defenses really start to
    actually play defense
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I think that overall the season was disappointing, however, we did finish strong.

As far the playoffs, if we have a series similar to the 2011 series with the Bulls then we will have had a respectable season. I would love to see us beat the Cavs or even go 7 games with them, but I don't see that happening.

I think with the addition of Lance, a strong finish to the season and playing well in the playoffs will be enough to re-sign Paul.

I'm not convinced money is that big of an incentive for Paul. I think he is more concerned about being on a competitive team and getting personal recognition. If you think about it, the more money he makes, the less we will have available to bring in good players to help him. I think Paul would be happy to sign the standard maximum if he felt like the Pacers would be a contender.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

I guessed around 50 wins, so obviously was a disappointment from that perspective. But I will say I'm encouraged. I think we all underestimated how hard it is to 1) install a traditional PG into a team whose star needs the ball in his hands and 2) transition from playing predominately a 2-big lineup to a smaller, faster 1-big lineup. We need to realize we have a 21 year old anchoring our defense which is a tall task, especially since our guards like to gamble. Also incorporating Thad Young was not easy, as he is a herky-jerky player which is tough to play with. It looked horrible early on, but it is obvious after his injury how much he means to the team. We are starting to see them trust each other and we earned a 5 game win streak because of it. I honestly believe a lot of our pains were simply having a new team, and I expect them to be much better next year (if the team remains intact). I expect them to put up a real fight in this playoffs.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

The season failed to meet my expectations.

The energy injection from Lance may prove to be too late to matter, though it keeps the first round of the playoffs from being a foregone conclusion of a sweep. Barely getting above .500 and a second year of losing to the second seed - especially if games are close and people start believing the Cavs were beatable - isn't the improvement we were essentially promised when Frank was sent packing.

Now, that all changes if we upset the Cavs. It more-or-less becomes '94 all over again.

Considering that to be very unlikely, the two things I want for this series to keep from being more disappointed are:

- the Pacers keep their cool after the inevitable frustrating blowout in one of the games. This more than anything else will test the honeymoon vibe and let us know if their ability to work together will continue to next season

- the overall series has to go to 6 games. A sweep is a huge disappointment and winning 1 would be a fluke, we need to win 2. I'd love for them to be games 3 & 4 because winning tough playoff games at home is how you get fans to buy in for next year.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

People chuckled when I predicted 49 wins +/- 7 wins, but I honestly believed there was that much variability inherent in all of the new pieces and parts. We've seen what happens when there's cohesion amongst these players, and we've seen what happens when there's not. I'm not frustrated with the season, but of course I'm disappointed. For me it has less to do with the W-L record, and more to do with the product I watched throughout the season.

How can a team expect me to care, if they seemingly don't care?

The switch was flipped during the double overtime Cavs game from my perspective. I'm optimistic that we're in the process of finding our way back towards contention now, but the playoffs will give us a much better flavor of whether we were seeing iron pyrite or bonafide gold.

Regardless, I'm absolutely convinced that the pieces and parts of our puzzle don't collectively fit together. That starts with Monta Ellis and Al Jefferson.

If we stretch Al Jefferson, that will tell me that this front office is serious about getting better.

After reading that article about Lance I can't help but feel that if we win a championship its going to be because of Lance....Paul might be on this team when it happens, but it will be because Lance is a Pacer. This guy is truly humbled and committed to being his best for the franchise.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

This season has been an failure by just about every measurement. Getting to 7 games against the Cavs makes it easier to be optimistic for next season, but that's it.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Disappointment. I think a lot falls on Nate. I don't think he is the guy for the job. Also PG, not cause of his play but is ability to rally the troops. Just stupid a group of grown men had to rely on Lance to get them excited about playing basketball. Rumblings around here (Ames) are that Niang wasn't on the Ants mainly due to him being well liked in the locker room and bringing some life. If that's true, that's kind of sad that our 15th man is the guy doing that.
    I think the talent is there. I don't think practices were structured and Nate didn't hold players accountable. Otherwise it wouldn't have taken Al Jeff to get hurt (dental pain) to experiment with Seraphin and Christmas. Also it was stupid that when Al Jeff came back to break up the Christmas/Allen tandom that was working at the time.

I hopefully can post more on this topic tomorrow, but I find it a little early to suggest that The Lance effect has turned the team around. He has injected some energy into the team he has provide a lift coming off the bench. But I wonder if it is sort of like when a new coach takes over mid season and you have a honeymoon effect for a few weeks. My question is Lances positive impact temporary?

Like me I said I'll try to post more tomorrow.
    I just want to point out UB is the owner of a doom and gloom and worrying pessimistic post in this thread!
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I predicted ~50 wins, so objectively the regular season was a disappointment. However:

- We made the playoffs and had to earn it
    - New players and new roles
    - Injuries prevented the new players and roles from being able to gel
    - Nate is far less stubborn than our previous coach with regards to making adjustments, thank goodness.
    - No fingerpointing or unnecessary drama (PG trade rumors aside)

If we push the Cavs, the season will have been a success imo, with much reason for optimism heading into next season between the team's confidence in each other, on-court chemistry and the resources at our disposal (ie the first round pick we retained).

If we get swept, well, at least one starter is getting swapped (not PG). Still wouldn't be a disaster, all things considered.

Sports Logo

I will say that I am disappointed with the overall season but glad that Bird was able to ( at least ) point the ship in the right direction before hitting that proverbial iceberg.

I am glad that the Team was able to make a late season push to make it into the 7th spot. I am proud that the Team was able to go out on a winning note to win games when they really had to win. I acknowledged that the "Lance" Steroid boost in the waning minutes of the end of the season likely made the difference in the end.

But I will focus on one aspect of this season that many have skirted around and something that I think sums up how I view this season.

I get back to what many of us have said before......it takes Bird too long to make adjustments. This team was clearly flawed from a structural POV ( Players don't really complement each other, Team is too small or even change in how the offense / defense was run ) from the beginning and Bird couldn't make the necessary adjustments ( if any ) to help minimize these flaws

If the "Lance Effect" was more of one involving an infusion of energy, change in Team persona or just plain a needed melding of Team Chemistry among the Players, then one would have to question why it took Bird so long to recognize this. In the end.....it may have been that Bird couldn't pursue Lance for whatever reason til now....but there was clearly an underlying Locker Room issue that needed to be addressed ( hmmmm....haven't we heard this record before ? ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-14-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    However for those of you that picked 50 wins and a deep playoff run, how do you feel now? Its great we're going in on fire and let's be clear we are on fire, but how do you feel about the rest of the season?
    Well, I believe I naively had us at 54 wins and yes, anything short of the ECF or a VERY close EC Semi against an opponent who was a bad matchup I would have classified this year as a failure.

- We let go of Frank: My feelings on this are well documented. We "brought in" (Excuse me while I ROFLMAO for a minute) a "New Voice(TM)" to replace him who was one of the most uninspiring hires I can recall. Now Frank has his faults, but through 76 games of the season, Nate had almost all of the same negative traits people always ding Frank for, PLUS he had about 1,000th of the charisma and motivational presence. At least from my outside perspective.

- We brought in Jeff Teague losing George Hill in the process: Losing George hurt both as a fan of his and in the sense that he is a great defender at his position. BUT Teague was much more durable this year. Sadly, Jeff seems to have never *fully* grown into his role here. I can't quite put my finger on it, whether it's a chemistry issue or the way Nate is using him or what. But he hasn't been as dynamic as I'd hoped he would be. With that being said, he has also had some GREAT stretches, and has been getting better of late. The chemistry seems to finally be kicking in... *COUGH*LANCEEFFECT*COUGH* (Kidding... Kind of.)

If I put sentimentality aside, which is always difficult for me, it's tough for me to give an honest evaluation of this move right now. Teague has been more durable and has some traits that far outshine Hill. Hill has struggled to stay on the court, but knows our system and our players and is a great defender which sure would have been nice for Kyrie tomorrow... Tough call.

I really hated the trade at first, because I'll be honest, I never *LIKED* Teague when he was with the Hawks, especially during our playoff battles. I mean yeah he played great against us, but aside from that, I just didn't really like him... But I really like George. So there's that pesky sentimentality again. But now that I've had Teague on the roster for a year he's grown on me. He just has a low key personality that always rubbed me the wrong way when we faced Atlanta. But now with him here, I have no problem rooting for him at all.

This coming playoff series will go a LONG way in determining whether this was smart or not. Obviously we have a BIG decision to make with Teague this summer.

- We added Al Jefferson: I liked the signing simply because I've always loved Al's game. He's extremely underrated over the course of his career by people who haven't paid attention to him I feel like. Me included. BUT, at 3/30 I was nervous. And sure enough, he came into camp and the season out of shape and only able to really play short spurts. There have been times when his offensive post game anchored the bench when they had to come in to give PG and the starters SOME rest, and allowed us to hold a lead or not let a game get away from us. So in that sense, he's had a few great outings for us.

But conversely, his defense, which was always bad is now even worse. And unfortunately his offensive proficiency just doesn't make up for that defensive liability most nights. *MOST* nights. There have been some where he comes in and pours in like 4 straight post buckets and keeps the whole team on his back. But it's not terribly often, and 3/30 is a lot of money and years for someone in that particular role. So... Yeah, this looked a lot better on paper than it turned out.

- We added Thad Young (Essentially trading Caris LaVert): I am one of the people here in the camp who was really happy with that deal. Now, with hindsight being 20/20 - Would I have opted to draft LeVert and keep him? Probably, but who knows. I still think it was the right move to make at that time. Before his wrist injury Thad was playing really, really solid for us. AND in the last couple weeks his wrist his been improving and you can really tell. In fact, there have been a couple games where he has been one of, if not THE key factor in a W.

The big question going forward is, how will he rebound from injury next season and play for us, and will we be able to retain him if we choose to? I believe his contract is essentially in the same place as Paul George. One more guaranteed year, then a player option. I like Thad personally and what he does for us when healthy and would love to see him stay here if we can retain him for a reasonable value.

- Then the season started: This team has been one of the most frustrating in recent memory as a Pacers fan for me and I know for many of you, because we SHOULD have been much better much earlier. The Pacers of Game 76 onward are how we should have been from day 1. I am a huge Paul George fan, and even I have to admit that there were times during the season where he looked dejected and like he wasn't giving everything he had because quite honestly, most of the players around him weren't either. I understand the frustration with Paul and with the entire up and down nature of the whole team. We had that 7 game win streak. We had that stupid London trip that really hurt us in my opinion in terms of scheduling and so forth. Then we lost 7 straight and played the W-L-W-L-W-L game for what seemed like an eternity...

- #LANCEEFFECT: Look - I'm not saying that Lance Stephenson single-handedly saved our season and got us into the playoffs. But I'm not saying he didn't either. Paul had already BEEN playing great when he got here, but the rest of the team was NOT following his lead. Some of that is on Paul, some of that is on the staff and lots of that is on the rest of the roster. But all of a sudden, Lance Stephenson walks through that door and BOOM - We're the most amped up, energetic and fun to watch Pacers team in the last few seasons. That's not a coincidence, my friends. When you suddenly see Jeff Teague, of ALL people, yelling and strutting down the court like Russell Westbrook after a big play... That's a big freaking deal. We've *never* seen him get that emotionally involved. We've seen flashes of guys like Myles and Paul George (this season) let their emotions out after big plays, but nothing like what's been happening since Lance arrived.

He brings a combination of talent and intangible toughness, energy and 'hype' to the team and the fans that very, VERY few players currently in the league do. And now he is back and we're one double OT thriller against the defending champs away from being undefeated since.

So... My evaluation of the season up until now? This regular season was extremely underwhelming and disappointing about 85% of the time. We had our great 7 game streak, we had some really awesome wins against great competition, but we also had a dismal losing streak, and losses against teams that had no business beating us. We should absolutely be a top 4 seed in the East. No question about it. But we aren't... And if Larry didn't make the ballsy move to cut Rodney and sign Lance when he did, the season would have likely ended missing the playoffs by a game or two, despite PG playing so well.

Our chances of keeping PG via the DPE would be dramatically lower (fingers crossed it works out...)
    We would have been placed in a position where dealing him on draft night (or around the deadline next year, for a much worse haul) would be a distinct possibility because we missed the playoffs and this year was so uneven and just flat out not fun, and we know that Paul wants to be here, but not if we're just treading water and wasting his prime.

BUT - Larry DID sign Lance, and we DID make the playoffs, and the team IS fun to watch again, and they DO seem to be finally playing together and having fun and are on a mission to throw everything we've got at LeCavs.

So, in conclusion: The season had a few fun and bright moments, but overall it sucked. Bad. Which was truly sad because of the whole 50th anniversary thing.

BUT - Paul took his game up about 10 notches the last month+. Larry made a great move (Kudos Larry, I salute you this time around) and the team is revitalized. It's a shame it only lasted for 6 regular season games. But those 6 games were just enough to buy us another 4, at least...

So, we underachieved and it was not very fun to watch most of the year. But right NOW, having won when we HAD to and made the playoffs, we're playing inspired basketball with a huge infusion of energy and grit to the team. We're playing for each other and things are coming together.

The season could have, and should have gone much "better" than it did...

But, all things considered: We get to watch Paul George and LANCE!!! go up against a LeBron James team in the playoffs again. And if we're going to go down, I am confident we'll go down swinging and fighting our butts off. And that's all I ask at this point.

Now let's go shock the world.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Talent wasn't as good as many of us thought. One thing that us never mentioned. Sure we brought in some pretty good players, but new lost some pretty good players. It isn't like we just added Teague and Thad to what we had, they replaced players.

The mix of players wasn't right.

I probably listen to national NBA media as much as anyone - listen to NBA Radio, watch NBATV, watch a ton of non-Pacers games and most knowledgeable NBA people think the Pacers are PG and really nothing else. Teague is a nice point guard, but he is an average point guard mainly because of how many great pts there are now. Turner is a young big with potential.

Another thing you don't know how a team will fit together until you actually put them together and see. Who knew the 2013 cast of players would fit so well together, this years team not so much

Also keep in mind Vegas had the over / under at 43.5, so we were right there
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-14-2017 at 03:03 PM.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: