Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alonso to run 2017 Indy 500

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Alonso to run 2017 Indy 500

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    not a single homegrown IRL/IndyCar driver has won the 500.
    Sato hasn't raced F1 for 9 years. I think discarding wins by experienced drivers who came up through CART is cherry-picking a bit - it means we aren't getting wins from young drivers, which tells me strategy and savvy mean something.

I'd love to see Carpenter or Hildebrand win it, but I sometimes think Ed isn't aggressive enough and JR shot himself in the foot with that pass.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

I hope the next person to sing Back Home Again In Indiana knows the lyrics. That was pretty disappointing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Sato hasn't raced F1 for 9 years. I think discarding wins by experienced drivers who came up through CART is cherry-picking a bit - it means we aren't getting wins from young drivers, which tells me strategy and savvy mean something.

I'd love to see Carpenter or Hildebrand win it, but I sometimes think Ed isn't aggressive enough and JR shot himself in the foot with that pass.
    Well that's kind of my point, Bill. Since 2000/2001, the drivers who've won the 500 are basically the same ones who would have been winning had there not been a split. Thus, it really wasn't worth nuking the sport and destroying virtually all of its prestige in American popular conscience. TG is easily the worst executive in the history of American business.

There are some really talented drivers in the series now, that's for sure. There have been some great 500's recently.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-30-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    I hope the next person to sing Back Home Again In Indiana knows the lyrics. That was pretty disappointing.
    At least that "America The Beautiful" was just phenomenal.

I see Coyne isn't happy about Jones not getting Rookie of the Year. Can't say I blame him. Fernando had a bunch of hype and did a great job. But as for doing a great job, so did Ed Jones. It's not a certainty at all that Alonso would've finished higher than Jones if Alonso's engine had held on. Jones drove himself into a legitimate 3rd place finish. And due to damage from debris in the Dixon wreck, he had to come from the back to do it.

I think if there ever was an argument to make for co-Rookie of the Year winners, this was it... or else it should've been Jones' alone based on merit versus hype. And that's not to take anything away from Alonso. I assume this is a media voted award. I don't really know though.
    Last edited by Bball; 05-30-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Graham Rahal's quip during his sponsor thank you's was perfect... "...Steak and shake... If Dixon would've went there everything would've been fine"
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Just saw the race drew the lowest live ratings ever. Shame. The event lost its place in the American psyche and it will never recover it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Just saw the race drew the lowest live ratings ever. Shame. The event lost its place in the American psyche and it will never recover it.
    I think it's more important than ever to finally break away from ABC/ESPN. Assuming NBC really wants the entire series, then they've clearly shown themselves to be the better partner. I believe there's only one more year on the ABC contract (if that).

Year after year of lackluster coverage is not helping. Worse than the Always Bad Coverage, it's the lack of promotion leading up to the race. Although Indycar itself could use some polish in the promotion book themselves, so it's not all on ABC. Television (and IMS) needs to be selling this event as something akin to the Super Bowl, an event, not just a race. ABC/ESPN is just not doing that. The series itself is an afterthought both before and after May. That is something I'd hope would change with NBC coverage. We already know NBCSN knows how to produce a race so that is one box we know would be checked off with a change from ABC. I mean the example and framework is right there for ABC to see on NBCSN, yet nothing changes.

That said, IMS has stepped up their game in the last few years. They seemed to have taken some lessons from the Indy Super Bowl. Locally, they are doing a much better job than in years past. Although 30 years ago, promotion via IMS wasn't necessary at all. So they've had some catching up to do.
    But ABC/ESPN should know better. They can't ignore the series and then just show up for May and expect America to just fall in line. Of course a lot has changed over the years, and a generation was pretty much shut out of Indy by the 'brilliant' idea of making the event more family friendly and killing the infield at the exact time as the start of the IRL and then the protracted war there.

So the damage has been done, but television coverage and promotion isn't helping. There's definitely a different (better) vibe at the track these days compared to 10 or 15 years ago. There's definitely something to build upon these days, but whether that can be capitalized on, and whether the public will ever take notice in the same way again is another question.

------

-John Wooden

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The ratings are also stuck in the past and only take traditional TV viewers into account. AFAIK, streaming services such as SlingTV, PSVue, or DirectTVNow (much less WatchESPN) are not factored in. I honestly don't even pay that much attention to them anymore for that reason.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    The ratings are also stuck in the past and only take traditional TV viewers into account. AFAIK, streaming services such as SlingTV, PSVue, or DirectTVNow (much less WatchESPN) are not factored in. I honestly don't even pay that much attention to them anymore for that reason.

I would venture to guess that the amount of people watching the Indy 500 on those services would be extremely minuscule and bump it up a hair at best.

I would venture to guess that the amount of people watching the Indy 500 on those services would be extremely minuscule and bump it up a hair at best.
    Don't underestimate the cordcutters. That segment of the market is growing rapidly as the cable companies continue to price-gouge consumers. I see it on a almost daily basis when I work my night job supporting an program that is marketed largely towards cordcutters. There's more viewers there than you would think. Someone on Reddit said that one of the (illegal) Youtube streams had nearly 500K viewers midway through the race.

Even with the rating drop though, Indy still outdid NASCAR.

Not only that, but Indy outdrew Monaco in Spain and had a massive ratings jump in the UK (something like 975%). Granted, that's almost entirely thanks to Alfonso-mania, but with an exciting race like that, you are going to draw some of those eyeballs to further races...
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Don't underestimate the cordcutters. That segment of the market is growing rapidly as the cable companies continue to price-gouge consumers. I see it on a almost daily basis when I work my night job supporting an program that is marketed largely towards cordcutters. There's more viewers there than you would think. Someone on Reddit said that one of the (illegal) Youtube streams had nearly 500K viewers midway through the race.

Even with the rating drop though, Indy still outdid NASCAR.

Not only that, but Indy outdrew Monaco in Spain and had a massive ratings jump in the UK (something like 975%). Granted, that's almost entirely thanks to Alfonso-mania, but with an exciting race like that, you are going to draw some of those eyeballs to further races...
    Hopefully. I would love nothing more than to see the 500 regain its national prestige. We've had like 7 straight races at this point that have been highly entertaining.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: