Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alonso to run 2017 Indy 500

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Alonso to run 2017 Indy 500

My favorite ones are the really hot ones. Seems like the crowd is always extra revved up on the hot days, probably because they keep drinking beer to keep cool.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Now weather.com says "AM Clouds/PM sun" 80 degrees with only a 20% chance of rain for Speedway, IN on Sunday. That would be awesome. I'm sure tomorrow it will say an 80% chance of rain though. Weather in Speedway is unpredictable this time of year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Lol, it's already up to 40% again. It will be ping pong on this all week.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol, it's already up to 40% again. It will be ping pong on this all week.
    I see WTHR is calling for "mainly AM storms" now... and showing a cloud/sun graphic.
    Welcome to Indiana weather!
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I see WTHR is calling for "mainly AM storms" now... and showing a cloud/sun graphic.
    Welcome to Indiana weather!
    I sure hope so. This should be an entertaining contest as long as the weather holds out. There really are quite a few talented drivers in this series, both old and young. Then you throw Alonso mania into the mix. We should see some really entertaining driving on Sunday.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

It seems like it does nothing but rain in this part of the country recently. It just feels like this will be a year where rain gets in the way. Hope I'm wrong.

It seems like it does nothing but rain in this part of the country recently. It just feels like this will be a year where rain gets in the way. Hope I'm wrong.
    I was hoping with the rain coming in on Saturday it would be clearing out very early Sunday. But now it's looking like the rain isn't moving in until Sunday anyway. But it's still showing as morning storms and then moving out.
    So maybe the weather models are showing it shrinking and it can just shrink away entirely!
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports...y-500-pace-car

Negan is driving the pace car...
    Weird that it's just now announced. I'd actually just kind of forgotten about the pace car driver and assumed it had been announced long ago.

------

-John Wooden

Same thing on the East Coast. Today is the first clear day we've had in like a week.

I didn't go back for the race this year, just too much going on right now. Hoping it doesn't rain on you guys. I remember maybe 3 years ago or so the weather held and then maybe 5 minutes after I got on 465 it started raining pretty hard. Timing doesn't get much better than that.

Now it's changed once again... LOL...
    From 80% to 60% with scattered thunderstorms.
    So the morning rain at 80% to clearing in the afternoon is now gone.
    This WILL change again!

------

-John Wooden

What's everyone up to Monday ?? Might be a race ....

Looks like rain is going to almost certainly factor in. Sucks. Nothing worse than waiting for them to dry that track.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm going to call my shot: We get all 200 laps in Sunday. If you look at the NWS's hour by hour forecast, there's a 20% chance of rain from 8AM to 5PM, when the possibility jumps to 38% for a couple of hours. The only way I would feel better is if Bill Meck was trotted out to forecast a washout ala 1998.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...unit=0&dd=&bw=
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I'm having a hard time picking a winner. Dixon? RHR? Alonso? Helio? JPM? Newgarden? TK? Rossi?
    Chevy? Honda? Will the early front runner's Honda hold up?

The year of the dark horse: Ed Jones? Sato? Munoz? Karam?

Will this be the year Marco (and team) puts together 200 laps and gets an Andretti back in Victory Lane?

What lap will the first Honda expire and will it take anyone out with it in the oil or the resulting spin? And while it's not hard to imagine 'A' Honda blowing up, it's hard to imagine 'ALL' Honda's blowing up.

Will Honda take their chances and dial the engines back or will they play the role of the rabbit and take their chances? Or will they discuss a split strategy amongst the teams?

Hopefully, it's a run to the finish and doesn't end up being a fuel mileage race. In fact if I was Indycar I think I'd already have a debris yellow planned for about lap 185 if a fuel mileage race is developing.

------

-John Wooden

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

My guess is the Chevys will push hard in order to not let the Hondas coast and take it easy.
    I could see Dixon, or one of the Hondas, wanting to lead early just for pride, ego, and marketing reasons (the announcers saying "Honda leads the first lap!") but I could see them wanting to dial it back after a few laps.
    So I could see Chevy deciding to play the rabbit gambling they will have no issues running hard for 200 laps and forcing Honda to try and push the pace.

But that said, the cars are similar enough I'm not sure you can really have a rabbit that is just going to be able to check out. Especially with yellows factored in. So I think we'll definitely see Chevy leading laps, but at the end all bets are off if those laps led mean anything for Chevy. The last 20-50 laps Honda will be going for it.

Of course watch me be wrong an Honda preferring just to take their chances and be in the mix and out front all day and if it breaks... it breaks...
    (Although, like I said prior, I could see a split strategy with that...)

------

-John Wooden

Looks like the weather Gods are race fans. Great weather for the F1 race, looks like they'll get the 500 and the 600 in with no problems.

That. Was. Awesome.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Nice win for Sato. His Honda held together.

------

-John Wooden

I really hope Alonso can be make another attempt at Indy happen. The poor guy has just been snakebit by poor Honda equipment all year, and he STILL had a good shot at winning the thing!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I really hope Alonso can be make another attempt at Indy happen. The poor guy has just been snakebit by poor Honda equipment all year, and he STILL had a good shot at winning the thing!
    Definitely.
    Sato was a very deserving winner today (and knows how to show his appreciation for a win in Victory Lane (take notes Alexander Rossi )), but Alonso (and RHR) have to be shaking their heads to know Sato drove the same car they had to a win while they saw their engines give out.

"No attack, no chance".

"Back Home Again in Indiana" is forever going to be hard to top.

When did it become "Drivers, start your engines!" at Indy? I thought that was every other race in the world while Indy has already been "...Gentlemen, start your engines" (with a "Lady and" or "Ladies and" thrown in when necessary. In fact, I assumed it was trademarked.
    I keep wondering if that was planned and intentional for some reason, or a mistake? No biggie but just surprising considering the hoopla years ago how the traditional "Gentlemen, start your engines!" would be handled with the first woman in the field.

I'm starting to wonder if Helio will get that 4th. He's still one of the best ever at Indy... but the clock is ticking...

Initially, I thought it looked like the crowd was going to be really good this year. But once again, thin spots were evident badly in the tower terrace and in the north chute/T3/T4 area.

Scott Dixon was a lucky, lucky guy! I'd say this month was downhill for him after winning the pole on such a high note. Robbed at Taco Bell and then the victim of a spectacular crash. That crash is one of the kind of crashes that has a driver with a family, or any driver, reconsidering his career.

Dale Coyne's team was IMPRESSIVE. Who would've thought anyone could challenge Alonso for Rookie of the Year? Although anyone paying attention this season, should've had Ed Jones somewhere on their radar for today. And James Davison ran a helluva race replacing Seb. Wow...

Andretti is going to give Roger a run for his money with 500 wins. Chip has to be doing some soul searching. It's supposed to be him and Penske fighting it out but Andretti is the real challenger to Penske dominance at Indy.

Munoz.... I wonder if he's asking himself if he could've/should've sucked it up and figured out a way to keep the Andretti ride rather than wanting to be paid? That could've been him today in Victory Lane. I'm starting to wonder if Foyt's team is destined to be 3rd tier. Coyne already putting 'the little team that can' vibe to work. You'd think with the Foyt name, Foyt's team could and should easily be able to be at that level.

Will this be Buddy Lazier's last run as a driver? I assume he's just keeping the seat warm for his son.
    Last edited by Bball; 05-29-2017 at 02:29 AM.

------

-John Wooden

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It was a fine, good even, race to watch on TV. But it is really only about 30% of the experience of being there. Indy is really best experienced live.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Definitely.
    Sato was a very deserving winner today (and knows how to show his appreciation for a win in Victory Lane (take notes Alexander Rossi )), but Alonso (and RHR) have to be shaking their heads to know Sato drove the same car they had to a win while they saw their engines give out.
    To be fair to Rossi, I'm pretty sure he was in shock once the checkers fell last year.

I'm starting to wonder if Helio will get that 4th. He's still one of the best ever at Indy... but the clock is ticking...
    They said the same of Big Al, circa 1986 or so... (and that's coming from someone who is not an Helio fan)

Initially, I thought it looked like the crowd was going to be really good this year. But once again, thin spots were evident badly in the tower terrace and in the north chute/T3/T4 area.
    I think the weather forecast scared some people away. Maybe they should have read the NWS Hour by Hour forecast like a certain someone who called their shot did. Regardless, the infield crowd was still impressive, and there was easily 100K+ in the Snakepit. THAT was impressive to see from my Turn 3 mound viewing point.

Scott Dixon was a lucky, lucky guy! I'd say this month was downhill for him after winning the pole on such a high note. Robbed at Taco Bell and then the victim of a spectacular crash. That crash is one of the kind of crashes that has a driver with a family, or any driver, reconsidering his career.
    Jay Howard should never have been out there. He was already 7 laps down with a car that was clearly not functioning correctly. And then he tried to blame it all on RHR passing him in a normal racing move. He doesn't need to be an Indycar after that.

Andretti is going to give Roger a run for his money with 500 wins. Chip has to be doing some soul searching. It's supposed to be him and Penske fighting it out but Andretti is the real challenger to Penske dominance at Indy.
    You know Mario is wondering why he didn't buy his own team 30 years ago right now. He could have gotten to Victory Lane at Indy more than once.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    But it is really only about 30% of the experience of being there. Indy is really best experienced live.
    Without a doubt. Saw on the broadcast that the track is the 65th largest city in the USA on race day. Bigger than Cincinnati. Everyone owes it to themselves to do it once. It certainly doesn't disappoint.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Great day at 16th and Georgetown. Credit to Sandman for correctly calling the weather. It's amazing that we've had 10 straight races without a second of rain delay. I've been going since 1998, and in the first 10 of those there were multiple years where rain delayed the race (with them not even getting in the full 500 in 04 and 07).

I sat at the north end of the main straightaway right out of 4 (some of my favorite seats). There was obviously a ton of aluminum in turn 3 and the north chute. Maybe some of these people stayed away because of rain, but I doubt all the people who stayed away just happened to be in 3. That's always the area where there are empty seats if sales aren't near a sellout. Shame to see.

I understand they needed to bring the infield crowd back after foolishly running them off 25 years ago, but I wasn't a fan of the big "snake pit" stage that shot off flames and smoke throughout the race. Not at sacred IMS. Looks like something you'd see at a NASCRAP track.

I always enjoy Indy so much. No matter what's going on, I get so pumped up once the calendar hits May. I have a lot of good memories there over the years as it truly is one of the most special sporting events in the entire world. The first 500 was run the day before the Titanic was launched! It's a true icon of history.

I guess on one hand, it's tough to argue with Honda's strategy: build a bunch of super powered bombs, realize that some of them will blow up, but hope that at least one machine will survive for an elite driver. That's exactly what happened.

I can't imagine how entertaining that finish would have been if Alonso and Hunter-Reay had still been running. Would have been truly epic.

Alonso will be back. He obviously knows he can without question win the race. Bad break for him.

Is it just me or did some of the yellows go on way too long for debris clean up? That was a bizarre middle of the race with all the yellow.

Obviously glad Dixon is OK.

Another disappointing run for Marco. While Michael Andretti's success as owner gets more impressive by the year, it has to bum him out a bit that it's not Marco achieving these wins. Hopefully someday. It would be a great story for the series if Marco won.

These current vehicles have really given us some entertaining 500's since 2012.

Not to gin up old split debates, but this is worth pointing out since it's still occurring in the present: For 22 years and counting since the start of the split, not a single homegrown IRL/IndyCar driver has won the 500. The first 20 winners had CART/ChampCar upbringings, while the last 2 have been F1. Nothing embodies this more than the pitiful track record of Foyt's teams at Indy. It just shows what a complete scam Tony George's vision was. It was all for nothing....all it cost us was the decline in prestige of the 500 with virtually no one caring about the rest of the series. Sucks because there are some incredibly talented drivers in this series. Now I guess for the next 30 years we have to watch TG bumble the engine start call....
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-30-2017 at 10:02 AM.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

When did it become "Drivers, start your engines!" at Indy? I thought that was every other race in the world while Indy has already been "...Gentlemen, start your engines" (with a "Lady and" or "Ladies and" thrown in when necessary. In fact, I assumed it was trademarked.
    I keep wondering if that was planned and intentional for some reason, or a mistake? No biggie but just surprising considering the hoopla years ago how the traditional "Gentlemen, start your engines!" would be handled with the first woman in the field.
    I think it just recently changed. I advocated this from the beginning because it flows so much better than the "Lady (or "Ladies...") and gentlemen start your engines." Now they just need to study Tony Hulman's delivery to get the emphasis on "EN-gines!"
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...