Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alonso to run 2017 Indy 500

Default Alonso to run 2017 Indy 500

Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Alonso to run 2017 Indy 500

Call me crazy, but I like his chances to drink the milk.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

A lot will depend on weather I think... Rossi had a few races under his belt to get acclimated. Alonso will just have May (and a special practice/test). If the weather is good and he gets lots of track time it will help.
    Especially if it was like last year with all the race condition testing going on. He'll be able to run in traffic, practice the draft/tow with his teammates... measure the Chevys... etc...

Definitely there's no doubt an Andretti car can win. ...Unless Chevy is sandbagging and has a beast of an engine to unleash come May.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Alonso is saying all the right things and was great during his interviews from Barber yesterday. Definitely moving the needle to have him coming to run the 500 next month.
    He's making himself somebody you root for with the attitude he's showing.

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

If you had asked me 10 minutes before this was announced "would there be anything you can think of that would get you to watch the now pathetic 500" I would have said not a chance in hell, they would have to dump the formula nippon crap cars and deliver real racing again which they seem incapable of doing.

Once I heard Alonzo would be running, well I am watching. I have not watched since the last legitimate 500 back in 1994 so it will feel weird.

Alonso seems fairly pleased. It has me wondering if he's not considering a near future in Indycar.

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alonso seems fairly pleased. It has me wondering if he's not considering a near future in Indycar.
    He has to be miserable in F1 right now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    If you had asked me 10 minutes before this was announced "would there be anything you can think of that would get you to watch the now pathetic 500" I would have said not a chance in hell, they would have to dump the formula nippon crap cars and deliver real racing again which they seem incapable of doing.

Once I heard Alonzo would be running, well I am watching. I have not watched since the last legitimate 500 back in 1994 so it will feel weird.
    1995 was the last legitimate 500. It was so competitive back then that Penske couldnt even get in with Fittipaldi and Little Al, who collectively accounted for the three previous wins!

Point of order... I believe the 500 has been fairly legitimate for a few years now. There's a pretty good argument that there's a huge window and problem from 1996 up until some point around the time of reunification. But for the last few years it's been solid on the track. It's probably as competitive as it ever has been from 1-33. Certainly the top half are all very solid and as strong as ever.

I'm a big believer that the aerokits were a move in the right direction and that it's a mistake to go away from them. Although not a mistake to have new cars next year.

------

-John Wooden

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    1995 was the last legitimate 500. It was so competitive back then that Penske couldnt even get in with Fittipaldi and Little Al, who collectively accounted for the three previous wins!

My bad you are correct, Villeneuve won the last legit 500. I remember watching Penske pull out the backup cars to try and qualify it was astonishing. I think their chassis that year was bad, it did not have to be as good the year before because they had a good 300 hp on everyone else in 1994. I think the backup cars were older Lolas but they just could not get it all to work.

Sports Logo

Point of order... I believe the 500 has been fairly legitimate for a few years now. There's a pretty good argument that there's a huge window and problem from 1996 up until some point around the time of reunification. But for the last few years it's been solid on the track. It's probably as competitive as it ever has been from 1-33. Certainly the top half are all very solid and as strong as ever.

I'm a big believer that the aerokits were a move in the right direction and that it's a mistake to go away from them. Although not a mistake to have new cars next year.

Maybe they lost me so long ago that I would not know if they went back to being legitimate, I do think they need to dump the formula nippon cars before they are going to be even remotely legitimate. Do they allow actual competition in the engines yet?

Here is what it will take for me to watch again:

More than one chassis manufacturer. Say the wings can be this big and this high but other than that open.

More open engine rules I realize you have to say this much boost and this displacement but other than that, it should be up to the manufacturers to figure out how to get the most out of them. I want to see those 1,000hp monsters again.

Is Tony George completely out? What about his lieutenants?

Road races do they have more than one or two?

George is chairman of the board of Hulman & Co. As of last year. I don't know if he makes any real racing decisions or if he sticks to Clabber Girl.

It's definitely been more entertaining in recent years. There are some really talented drivers in the series. I still think it looks way too much like NASCRAP draft racing, but it's definitely better than it was 20 years ago.

Maybe they lost me so long ago that I would not know if they went back to being legitimate, I do think they need to dump the formula nippon cars before they are going to be even remotely legitimate. Do they allow actual competition in the engines yet?

Here is what it will take for me to watch again:

More than one chassis manufacturer. Say the wings can be this big and this high but other than that open.
    Honda and Chevy provide engines.
    Dallara makes the tubs while Honda and Chevy produce the aerokits (thru contractors) which essentially is everything that bolts on the tubs so the cars are different between Honda and Chevy and the teams have several choices of bits and pieces to add and take away (for different aero desires (balance and downforce levels).
    But next year they go to a new car with fixed aero. On one hand, the new car should look pretty good. It should be sleeker looking and more reminiscent of an early 90's style. Safety, performance, and looks were design goals. On the other hand, the look between Honda and Chevy will return to being the same as far as aero goes. Engines will remain different.

There is some more serious talk than normal about a 3rd engine coming onboard in the next couple years.

More open engine rules I realize you have to say this much boost and this displacement but other than that, it should be up to the manufacturers to figure out how to get the most out of them. I want to see those 1,000hp monsters again.
    Well, you'll get no argument from me there...

Is Tony George completely out? What about his lieutenants?
    I think George has been relegated to the background in a major way. Mark Miles is head of the company and Jay Frye is over the racing end of things and by all accounts has done a great job.
    George is never seen nor heard from during a broadcast or when racing news is reported.
    TGBB is still around but they've morphed his role and job and he doesn't seem to be the face of stupid decisions any longer... or the face of anything. Yesterday was the first time I'd seen him on TV in years.

Road races do they have more than one or two?
    Natural terrain road courses:
    Barber
    Indy Grand Prix (revamped IMS F1 road course (the Mickey Mouse section is gone and the track is improved over the F1 configuration)).
    Mid Ohio
    Watkins Glenn
    Road America
    Sonoma

There's talk of Portland returning to next year's schedule.
    As for street courses:
    St Petersburg
    Long Beach
    Toronto
    Detroit (2 days, 2 races).

Note: The races are not necessarily in order of their appearance on the schedule. They are in the order that I could recall them

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Natural terrain road courses:
    Barber
    Indy Grand Prix (revamped IMS F1 road course (the Mickey Mouse section is gone and the track is improved over the F1 configuration)).
    Mid Ohio
    Watkins Glenn
    Road America
    Sonoma

There's talk of Portland returning to next year's schedule.
    As for street courses:
    St Petersburg
    Long Beach
    Toronto
    Detroit (2 days, 2 races).

Note: The races are not necessarily in order of their appearance on the schedule. They are in the order that I could recall them
    Looks like they have a lot of the old champ car tracks/circuits I have been to Mid Ohio, Road America (I love tracks with elevation changes I have not been to Long Beach though) and Belle Isle (I assume thats the Detroit race.)

No Surfers Paradise? No Montreal?

No Surfers Paradise? No Montreal?
    I think there's logistical problems with both of those, and not necessarily all on Indycar's side either. But I don't recall the entirety of the problems.
    I want to say development has forced a reconfiguration of the Surfer's track layout and forced it to be smaller which adds some question marks, and on the other side of the coin Surfers would like an Oct date and Indycar wants to have the schedule wrapped by Oct.
    And of course I'm sure $$$$ is always a factor.
    That said, in 2016 they were in talks and hopeful about 2018. I don't know what became of those talks though.

------

-John Wooden

Alonso mania has generated great interest in the race. Can't wait to attend my 20th straight contest next weekend! Always love this time of year.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Thank you Tony George and IMS for the SAFER barrier. Bourdais's crash looked WAY TOO close to Gordon Smiley's wreck for my comfort.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Thank you Tony George and IMS for the SAFER barrier. Bourdais's crash looked WAY TOO close to Gordon Smiley's wreck for my comfort.
    That was a bad looking hit but clearly the safety features paid off. I need to take a look at the Gordon Smiley wreck again. It looked like Sebastion either managed to steer away a bit at the last second after over-correcting, or just managed to keep some angle in it versus Smiley's hit. In my memory Smiley managed to hit it straight on. Sebastion managed to have some angle in his.

Edit: Just looked at it and Smiley's car was basically straight on.
    Last edited by Bball; 05-21-2017 at 08:17 AM.

------

-John Wooden

Yeah, Smiley went directly head on. Thankfully Sebastian avoided going head on at the last second.

That was a bad looking hit but clearly the safety features paid off. I need to take a look at the Gordon Smiley wreck again. It looked like Sebastion either managed to steer away a bit at the last second after over-correcting, or just managed to keep some angle in it versus Smiley's hit. In my memory Smiley managed to hit it straight on. Sebastion managed to have some angle in his.

Edit: Just looked at it and Smiley's car was basically straight on.
    That wiggle just before Seabass walled it though.... It looked almost exactly like Smiley did. *shudders*

BUT THAT POLE SHOOTOUT... HOLY **** THAT WAS AWESOME!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 05-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Wow, just saw on WTHR's website that Dixon, Dixon's wife, and Dario were robbed at gun point in a Taco Bell drive thru near the Speedway. Indy is such a violent city.

First make a run for the pole...
    The make a run for the border...

Glad no one was injured and they caught the idiots. Unbelievable it happened!

I still can't quite come to terms with the new Indy qualifying format. Yes, the Fast 9 makes for good TV.... But.... The timing is poor. Essentially, they are running what would've traditionally been between 3-4PM before we went to DST. And that was generally a no-man's land for qualifying because it was the heat of the day. Nobody would run at 3PM most times. So with DST now it's 4-5PM via the clock, but the sun is where it was when it used to be 3-4PM. So the cars that qualify earliest in the round are really at a disadvantage. Meanwhile, the cars that have the later spots are getting an advantage.

When they first started tweaking the qualifying they allowed multiple runs for the pole. At least in that case you had some options to negate the disadvantage.

And now you have cars pseudo 'qualifying' on Saturday for not much more than the order they'll qualify for real on Sunday and which ones will make the Fast 9.
    MAYBE it would make more sense to have a Fast 6 locked in on Saturday and have 3 spots still open on Sunday so those guys aren't just requalifying to shuffle the the last 8 rows around. Or have the Fast 9 locked in from Saturday but allow the top 3 Sunday to have a shot at the pole and make it a Fast 12.

That gives Sunday a little more drama in the lead up to the Pole runs.

It might be interesting to give teams the option to withdraw their time and have another shot at the pole as long as time was on the clock. Or maybe bring back the yellow flag to call off a run and give teams 3 strikes again.

But now we're back to forcing drivers to run several times for what is 4 of the hardest laps in racing. Well, almost force... With this change they could accept their speed and let it fall where it falls. Which is probably how the Sat-Sun q's should work anyway for the last 8 rows as it is now. If you want, keep your time from Saturday and live with it even while other drivers have the ability to take a 2nd day re-qualify opportunity. But make it optional. Some people might think they can and should improve their time and would take it. Low budget teams might just opt to live with making the race with all 4 corners on the car from Saturday.
    And then if you add the element of allowing the 3 fastest runners on Sunday to also be eligible for the pole runs later in the day, then you have better drama and reasons some would requalify on Sunday even if it was optional.

------

-John Wooden

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Weather is looking unpredictable for Sunday. We haven't had rain screw with the race since 2007 (which was called before they hit 500 miles because of the rain), so we're long overdue for some dreaded race day rain. I've been going since 1998. In the first 10, I remember multiple years with rain delays, but it's been completely dry for 9 straight. Nothing sucks more than waiting hours and hours for them to dry the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Weather is looking unpredictable for Sunday. We haven't had rain screw with the race since 2007 (which was called before they hit 500 miles because of the rain), so we're long overdue for some dreaded race day rain. I've been going since 1998. In the first 10, I remember multiple years with rain delays, but it's been completely dry for 9 straight. Nothing sucks more than waiting hours and hours for them to dry the track.
    It's Indiana.... No way they have any kind of handle on Sunday's weather yet.... And it'll be the Indy Chamber of Commerce forecast this week anyway.
    Even if we wake up to rain of biblical proportions Sunday they'll be talking about a "window to get the race in"

------

-John Wooden

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: