Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding a big brother for a thin squad

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Finding a big brother for a thin squad

Another thing I've thought of recently that is sort of depressing...We have two guys on the team already that sort of fit the description. One a mid first round big in his prime with good size and athleticism. Grabbing the real deal is too much like lightning in a bottle. would Caleb be better than Seraphin? Could HE make a leap? We need a big good enough to make us at least think about benching Thad. If he's got bulk we'd have a nice three man rotation.

I was thinking who would have been the perfect guy for us?
    Ben Wallace comes to mind!

Wallace
    Turner
    PG
    Lance
    Teague
    I'd be so stoked for the playoffs starting that squad!

But really DD, Oakley...what we need is an enforcer.

Drummond would be my dream.
    Then Favors

Not so sure that we need someone to shoot as much as Lopez would want but if the price was right he'd help us and we'd deal with it.

I think bird likes offense more than I do and I expect him to go for the same sort of guys we heard about at the break Lopez and Okafor.
    That looks somewhat good on paper but I'd prefer a more dedicated rebounder and post defender.

Millsap will be costly and last couple years on his contract may make us think better of it. He gives us another scorer when we need another defender/rebounder. A very nice talent and I'd NOT complain about getting him...just don't love the fit.

Giles seems thin, but if he could be healthy could grow into something nice.
    Valanciunas I'd love!

Patton? Haven't seen much of him to judge. He's got the size, but so do lots of cab drivers.

Thanks for indulging me guys. The team's gettin' close to being relevant again, and I love it!
    Just a little more beef...

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog! Pacersalltheway10's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another thing I've thought of recently that is sort of depressing...We have two guys on the team already that sort of fit the description. One a mid first round big in his prime with good size and athleticism. Grabbing the real deal is too much like lightning in a bottle. would Caleb be better than Seraphin? Could HE make a leap? We need a big good enough to make us at least think about benching Thad. If he's got bulk we'd have a nice three man rotation.

I was thinking who would have been the perfect guy for us?
    Ben Wallace comes to mind!

Wallace
    Turner
    PG
    Lance
    Teague
    I'd be so stoked for the playoffs starting that squad!

But really DD, Oakley...what we need is an enforcer.

Drummond would be my dream.
    Then Favors

Not so sure that we need someone to shoot as much as Lopez would want but if the price was right he'd help us and we'd deal with it.

I think bird likes offense more than I do and I expect him to go for the same sort of guys we heard about at the break Lopez and Okafor.
    That looks somewhat good on paper but I'd prefer a more dedicated rebounder and post defender.

Millsap will be costly and last couple years on his contract may make us think better of it. He gives us another scorer when we need another defender/rebounder. A very nice talent and I'd NOT complain about getting him...just don't love the fit.

Giles seems thin, but if he could be healthy could grow into something nice.
    Valanciunas I'd love!

Patton? Haven't seen much of him to judge. He's got the size, but so do lots of cab drivers.

Thanks for indulging me guys. The team's gettin' close to being relevant again, and I love it!
    Just a little more beef...
    Ike from UCLA, Bam from Kentucky, and Jordan Bell from Oregon are the enforcer types in the draft.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The NBA is really lacking in this area at the moment. Drummond would be perfect. DeAndre Jordan would be a good fit now, though he is likely on the back part of his prime. If you could have somehow snagged Tyson Chandler from 5 years ago, perfect.

Vucevic in Orlando may actually be a possibility.

I don't watch college basketball, but of what little I know it would seem a guy nicknamed Bam would probably be worth a look. Seems like the second coming of Bismack Biyombo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Swanigan makes me nervous, mainly due to lack of speed and agility and what that could translate to in terms of guarding perimeter-oriented and/or quick bigs as a PF. If the expectation is that he'll likely be an effective back up then okay. I don't think he displaces Thad as the starter in the short term or the long term (assuming Thad is around for a while). Hell, Thad was checking Giannis much of the time he was on the court. I get that's a really unique circumstance, but he can at least make a go of it.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

As to Nigel Hayes, where is he projected draft-wise? He's a poor FT shooter, which for me is a bit of red flag in terms of his potential to transform into a good all-around shooter. But I do like his physicality and defense on the wing or as a small-ball 4. He seems more like a 2nd round type. Maybe even an undrafted FA. But I am woefully unaware on the depth and breadth of the upcoming draft class and projections.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    As to Nigel Hayes, where is he projected draft-wise? He's a poor FT shooter, which for me is a bit of red flag in terms of his potential to transform into a good all-around shooter. But I do like his physicality and defense on the wing or as a small-ball 4. He seems more like a 2nd round type. Maybe even an undrafted FA. But I am woefully unaware on the depth and breadth of the upcoming draft class and projections.
    I think your assessment is spot on as far as draft position. Late second or undrafted
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    I want a big but I couldn't pass on OG!...Unless his knee is unlikely to heal. I can't find an update.
    Swanigan looks perfect to me. I think he c an play center against heavyweights on D' He's 6'9" and has good length. More rebounds than anyone in the NCAA this year. In the short bits of video I've seen he looked a little like D west at times. Almost the same measurements. Hits the mid range shot, good low center go gravity. They say he can cover the perimeter fairly well. MR Basketball. State Champ. Big ten Player of the year wasn't he?
    The cool thing is how far he has come! Dude weighed 360 as a 16 yr old! Improved in every category for his sophomore season. You can't say we've seen the best of him yet.
    The worst thing I've heard about him is a comparison toi Ike Diogu, whom I admit to thinking would probably be an NBA starter. I didn't see the the game Graphic mentioned.
    It was Iowa St vs Purdue in the tournament, Deonte Burton basically ran rough shot all over Swanigan in the 2nd half to of that game. Swanigan had no answer. Its why Purdue almost lost.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    It was Iowa St vs Purdue in the tournament, Deonte Burton basically ran rough shot all over Swanigan in the 2nd half to of that game. Swanigan had no answer. Its why Purdue almost lost.
    AT pick 15 I would not take Caleb. I would not discount his work ethic and skill. He is too small for center so he has to play power forward.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

What about Robin Lopez?

Mood

I'd like a better rebounder than Robin, and I suspect he couldn't play many minutes with Myles.
    Caleb has come a long way and already has lost over a hundred lbs. We need someone who can play with Turner much like DD played with Smits. Call him a PF if you want but with Myles floating on the perimeter we need some added beef in the middle.

I'm liking KS right now. Seems to be energized and playing tougher. If he can get a little harder we'll have a hard time finding an athletic big to beat him in the middle of the round. He was taken at 17 after all and is entering his peak physical years. I'll trust that to Larry though. I think he may trade the pick. Probably for a shooter.
    I'm not going to like it. Especially if OG is still on the board.
    I want to see him and PG, line up at crunchtime and make life miserable for the opposing offense.
    Oh...BTW I see the Star reporting that OG will hire an agent.

But back on pointe, Bam looks a long way from helping us. I think we'd trade it for a vet first.
    Patton maybe, if we want a straight back-up center.

So far I'd take OG, or try to trade down and get Caleb....all the while watching the trade possibilities.

Or how about Zach Collins? He's a little thin for my liking but he's young. He could play with Myles or Thad, and has nice intensity.
    Last edited by solid; 04-10-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Mood

What do you think about this guy? UCLA's "Enforcer"
    IKE ANIGBOGU
    Elite rim protection, good length and "tree trunk legs".
    http://www.draftexpress.com/video/12533/

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Magic are getting a new GM, maybe you could pluck Biyombo for a first rounder given their surplus of bigs.

Mood

Sports Logo

Position ourselves during the draft to select Bam Adebayo. Might need to trade up a few spots.

edit: According to mocks, maybe we can trade DOWN a few spots, actually. I think he will be a steal late in the draft. Maybe trading down will also allow us to off-load one of our unwanted contracts (if a team is very keen on a mid-1st pick to the point where they would take on Ellis or Jefferson to get it).
    Last edited by Ratking; 04-18-2017 at 02:01 PM.