Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding a big brother for a thin squad

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Finding a big brother for a thin squad

This thread should wait for another time, but I am anxious to see it.
    I've been saying for awhile that we need two guys of a certain type to turn us around.

Small ball blows, and I'm hoping for some swagger.
    I am going to be optimistic for a moment and believe we have got one of the guys now. So indulge me with your insights for a piece to fit my puzzle...

We need Lance's big brother.
    Who is that thick, gritty rebounding big?

6'9"- 6"11" 245+ 7' wingspan
    glass eating, fearless brawler?

Can we still get Ibaka?
    Drummond!
    Is there someone who fits that description better?
    Could Mahinmi have filled that roll?
    Is Taj too small or too old?
    Could we entice Milsap, and make due with his all around game at expense of needed size?
    How about Harry Giles?
    How the heck is a guy like Swanigan who looks to fit perfectly a late first pick?
    Could we move down for him and a 2nd and trade both 2nds for a late (or next years) 1st?
    Trade the first and Jefferson or Lavoy for an established vet? Which one?
    Maybe the physical Mason Plumlee?
    Valanciunas?
    Favors?
    Who else?

We added 230 lbs of much needed grit, so now I'm interested again.
    Find me two hundred and fifty more!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Finding a big brother for a thin squad

I'll just throw this out there now that we got Stephenson back for cheap. We could now get Hibbert cheap to come off the bench. Hansbrough would be cheap too. George Hill will be a free agent I think (but would not be cheap). Could put the conference finals team minus David West back together along with Teague, Thad, and Turner. That's a nice top 8 players there that offers a lot of different combinations. Also assuming PG might stay. Could play big or small. Swagger back, good defense too.

Guards and wings:
    Teague, Hill, Stephenson, George

Bigs:
    Turner, Young, Hibbert, Hansbrough

Other subs:
    Robinson III, Christmas

Need to dump:
    Ellis, Jefferson, Allen, C.J. Miles
    Last edited by dlewyus; 03-31-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    “It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

Sports Logo

Caleb Swanigan...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I'd be fine with bringing Hibbert back and was one of his biggest fans but the big man we need must be able to play with Turner not just play off the bench and I doubt if Hibbert would be a good fit for that. Now if we could sign a more mobile yet physical big to compliment Turner while moving Al to save Cap space and have Hibbert come off the bench with Thad that would be a nice rotation.
    Favors is our best option although the amount of time he's taking to recover from the bone bruise to his knee is concerning.
    Your description of who we need is perfect Solid, finding that player is tough. Like you I'm sick of wussy ball playing 2 rail thin stretch players in the front court.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

What's Dale Davis up to these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Getting DD all those years ago taught me that the NBA is a man's game.
    We sort of looked good on paper before that.
    But half a dozen times per game (it felt like) someone slammed it in our face like we were their little sister. We shied away from contact. Rebounds were generally not in our favor. Late in the games it was widely known all you had to do was take it to the paint. Pacers would either get out of your way or make a cheap foul.

Then all of the sudden those problems disappeared. Our long thin guys could stand outside and not look like sissies. By the end of the game people were pretty much tired of trying to drive into our paint. We just were not anybody's punks anymore. Once our thins didn't have to do so much bruising help inside, their confidence grew because of what they were good at instead of shrink because of what they were not.

I saw the same thing the year before we got D West. I remember saying that if we got either West or Nene we'd start HOSTING playoff games. That was not well received.

This team was short two players. May still be, idk.

Swanigan looks great to me, btw. State champion in High school, big ten star. Great size and strength. Was a complete tub of lard only a few years ago. His trajectory has been incredible. If he would happen to continue the pace he's accomplished the last few years, for even a couple more years, he'd be a monster.
    I don't follow NCAA too much. I searched him figuring I find he was a thug, really only 6'7", and had croc arms...not the case.
    Hard to think he's projected at bottom of the round.
    Last edited by solid; 04-02-2017 at 05:32 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Tank Thompson still available?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I missed this thread in the Lance-crazed hysteria of the last couple days, but I'm gonna go ahead and bump it because I'm tired of reading about Lance's layup.

Swanigan still could stand to trim down and speed up a little, at least for our roster. All signs indicate that he could, of course. And his rebounding and size would be great here, not to mention the potential hype of drafting an in-state guy. He's not the fastest guy around though, and given Turner's issues guarding out to the 3-pt line, I think we need an athlete.

-Odds we even call Blake Griffin are slimmer than slim.
    -Drummond is intriguing because his numbers have dipped and he may come a little cheaper than maybe he would've a couple years ago. But he's still a monster and I'd be pretty pumped to get him.
    -After watching Jonas V eat our lunch game after game, and knowing the attitude he would bring, I think he'd be a GREAT fit. Pretty sure he's signed for a few years in Toronto though, and unless they plan to break the bank on Lowry, they won't be moving Jonas.
    -I don't know much about Giles, but he does seem like a guy that fits perfectly - if his knees hold up. Seeing the news on DRose (again) makes me hesitant to embrace that pick.
    -I'm a big fan of Mathias Lessort, out of France. International experience means he's probably a contributor sooner than later, while being just 21 right now. Dude looks like a French Amare Stoudamire to me.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Caleb Swanigan...
    Maybe im completely off base here, but does swanigan remind anyone else of towns?
    2017 NBA Champions

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I think looking at centers is a mistake, because Myles can't defend the perimeter well. I expect he will improve on defending the post in time. I'm trying to bring in toughness at the PF position.

I've been saying the same thing for awhile, go after Paul Millsap. His all around game is just so nice and he has legit size and a winning demeanor, and can also be a "stretch" big if called for. He kinda does everything and was a recent All Defense choice. Could bring that "David West" style leadership to the team.

I'd also draft Harry Giles and bring him along slowly, so that hopefully by the time Millsap starts to decline later in his contract Giles can start to pick up some of the slack. That'd be my plan.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

A big on the front line is a must and Swanigan on the defensive side is going to struggle. I want a giant in the middle. Brook Lopez? With Lopez you get a great free throw shooter and scorer and rebound reasonably well and he would free up Myles at PF
    Another defender to help PG is also almost as big a need. I keep bringing up Nigel Hayes. 6'8", 245 and 7'3" wingspan. Great passer and rebounds well.
    Just what PG needs to help out on Lebron or Butler.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I strongly believe the Pacers will trade the first for a veteran. I am nervous about Bird making that call. Traded a first for Hill, lose Leonard. words cannot describe how bad a move that was. Not quite as bad as the Pacers not taking Bird. Trade first for Thaddeus Young. That was ok.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

As much as it pains me to say it, Swanigan may be exactly what this team needs to look for in the draft. Our pick will likely be too early to swing on him, but if we could trade back to mid 20s and pick him up I'd be psyched. Just have to manage his weight closely.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    Maybe im completely off base here, but does swanigan remind anyone else of towns?
    Uh, no. Totally different guys.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    I'll just throw this out there now that we got Stephenson back for cheap. We could now get Hibbert cheap to come off the bench. Hansbrough would be cheap too. George Hill will be a free agent I think (but would not be cheap). Could put the conference finals team minus David West back together along with Teague, Thad, and Turner. That's a nice top 8 players there that offers a lot of different combinations. Also assuming PG might stay. Could play big or small. Swagger back, good defense too.

Guards and wings:
    Teague, Hill, Stephenson, George

Bigs:
    Turner, Young, Hibbert, Hansbrough

Other subs:
    Robinson III, Christmas

Need to dump:
    Ellis, Jefferson, Allen, C.J. Miles
    I think Hans will be back next year. Pretty sure he'll replace Allen (though I think is a mistake, 3.5 mil for a rebounder is cheap). As far as Hibs goes, yes he can probably be had for Vet min. but I'd take Seraphin and Allen over him. It'd be awesome to have Hill back as our starting shooting guard but don't see it happening.
    I agree that we need an upgraded at PF, but I think our biggest issue next year will be our starting SG. We lose CJ this year and I want Monta moved to the backup pg position. I would prefer not to start Lance and bring him off the bench.
    So the big question is do we sign a starting SG and draft a big or sign a big and draft a guard?

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    A big on the front line is a must and Swanigan on the defensive side is going to struggle. I want a giant in the middle. Brook Lopez? With Lopez you get a great free throw shooter and scorer and rebound reasonably well and he would free up Myles at PF
    Another defender to help PG is also almost as big a need. I keep bringing up Nigel Hayes. 6'8", 245 and 7'3" wingspan. Great passer and rebounds well.
    Just what PG needs to help out on Lebron or Butler.
    Didn't follow Hayes that much, how does he compare to Rakeem? Asking cause they are about the same size.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    Could we entice Milsap, and make due with his all around game at expense of needed size?
    Millsap has a 7'1'' wingspan. He's not giving up size IMO.

The concern about Millsap is that he's 32 already this year, and it would probably take a max contract offer to steal him away. In comparison, David West was 31 when we signed him and took considerably less than the max, though to be fair he was coming off a major injury while Millsap still looks like a player at his peak, or close to it.

Personally I'd go all in, but I guess that will depend on what PG plans to do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it, Swanigan may be exactly what this team needs to look for in the draft. Our pick will likely be too early to swing on him, but if we could trade back to mid 20s and pick him up I'd be psyched. Just have to manage his weight closely.
    Pains you?

I'm on record as wanting Biggie and if we could trade back (or trade our pick and then buy/acquire a late-first) and still get him, I'll buy a round at the next PD party. As Seth & I constantly complain, though, Larry doesn't exhibit flexibility of thought. If we make the playoffs and end up keeping our pick, I think we still might pick him ... and I'll still be happy. Many from this year's class will take several years of seasoning.

Consequently, this doesn't mean I wouldn't also support signing a veteran big to upgrade from Peck's bane (Lavoy). I'm reminded of Tbird's "Player X." Both Myles & Biggie will continue to have prominent strengths and rather glaring weaknesses. Thad is a proxy for an otherwise ideal third big that would allow us to handle nearly any front-court situation.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    Pains you?

I'm on record as wanting Biggie and if we could trade back (or trade our pick and then buy/acquire a late-first) and still get him, I'll buy a round at the next PD party. As Seth & I constantly complain, though, Larry doesn't exhibit flexibility of thought. If we make the playoffs and end up keeping our pick, I think we still might pick him ... and I'll still be happy. Many from this year's class will take several years of seasoning.

Consequently, this doesn't mean I wouldn't also support signing a veteran big to upgrade from Peck's bane (Lavoy). I'm reminded of Tbird's "Player X." Both Myles & Biggie will continue to have prominent strengths and rather glaring weaknesses. Thad is a proxy for an otherwise ideal third big that would allow us to handle nearly any front-court situation.
    Just making an IU-Purdue joke, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    Didn't follow Hayes that much, how does he compare to Rakeem? Asking cause they are about the same size.
    Hayes is a really a different player from Rakeem. Nigel can defend on the perimeter. He can shoot the three and is an excellent passer and has a high BBall IQ.
    I look at him as a wing defender more than anything. His shooting percentage is not real high but that can be improved.
    He is a senior so he will not need a lot of time to adjust to the NBA
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

I still say we should either clone him or send our bigs to work with him this summer.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Uh, no. Totally different guys.
    Something about the way they look on he court and can shoot the three so casually is similar to me
    2017 NBA Champions

Not sold on Swanigan at all, he just looks great in college because nobody has his massive frame.
    Seeing what that Barton kid did to him in the 2nd half of that 2nd round game should tell you his game isn't going to translate into anything more than a bench player. 6-7/6-8 PF's don't do that well in the NBA unless they have considerable speed. He has great footwork though.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Ah, silly me. (And I have an IU degree.) What's your take on Thomas Bryant (let alone OG)?

Mood

I want a big but I couldn't pass on OG!...Unless his knee is unlikely to heal. I can't find an update.
    Swanigan looks perfect to me. I think he c an play center against heavyweights on D' He's 6'9" and has good length. More rebounds than anyone in the NCAA this year. In the short bits of video I've seen he looked a little like D west at times. Almost the same measurements. Hits the mid range shot, good low center go gravity. They say he can cover the perimeter fairly well. MR Basketball. State Champ. Big ten Player of the year wasn't he?
    The cool thing is how far he has come! Dude weighed 360 as a 16 yr old! Improved in every category for his sophomore season. You can't say we've seen the best of him yet.
    The worst thing I've heard about him is a comparison toi Ike Diogu, whom I admit to thinking would probably be an NBA starter. I didn't see the the game Graphic mentioned.