Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to Lowe, Stuckey literally has to be cut from the roster prior to the playoffs.
    I'm not sure about how accurate any of this is but if that's the case we just need to do it, it's not like we're going anywhere this year and Stuckey will most likely be injured anyway.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'm not sure about how accurate any of this is but if that's the case we just need to do it, it's not like we're going anywhere this year and Stuckey will most likely be injured anyway.
    Your comment hurt Stuckey's feelings.

He'll be day-to-day for the next 3 weeks.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    i hope i'm missing a joke here

Something Grimp might think up.

Sports Logo

So, imagine this scenario:

It's clear that they need an interior banger, and someone to bring back the "toughness" identity that Paul and fans are looking for.

So, they cut Stuckey before the end of the season, and add Hansbrough. Smashmouth part deux.
    Hansbrough is where he belongs, out of the NBA

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

CJ Miles at 4.5m is a steal at this point. He'll hit free agency and make much more than that with us or with someone else.

Stuckey I'm not sure about. In today's market are we sure a team doesn't want him at 7m? If a team does it just takes a trade for a 2nd rounder. I don't think the contract is that bad, but I do think the fit is bad with us since we have Monta off the bench, and it definitely would be nice to have 7m more to offer Millsap or someone like that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we cut Stuckey by the end of the season and sign someone to replace him, would the new guy still be eligible for the playoffs? I guess what I am trying to ask is there are deadline date to have players eligible for the playoffs?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    If we cut Stuckey by the end of the season and sign someone to replace him, would the new guy still be eligible for the playoffs? I guess what I am trying to ask is there are deadline date to have players eligible for the playoffs?
    They are eligible as long as they weren't on a team past the cut off. Cavs signed Danthay Jones right before the last game of the regular season. Maybe they have to be signed during the regular season.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    CJ Miles at 4.5m is a steal at this point. He'll hit free agency and make much more than that with us or with someone else.

Stuckey I'm not sure about. In today's market are we sure a team doesn't want him at 7m? If a team does it just takes a trade for a 2nd rounder. I don't think the contract is that bad, but I do think the fit is bad with us since we have Monta off the bench, and it definitely would be nice to have 7m more to offer Millsap or someone like that.
    Lowe made the comment that some believe 7 mil for Stuckey is market and that there is a chance Stuckey will opt out anyways to go for a 3 year 21 mil. Not sure if its legal or not, but maybe Stuckey's agent has already informed the Pacers he'll opt out. If that's the case, I'd ride him for the rest of the season. If not, cut him and bring in someone.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    i hope i'm missing a joke here
    It's a Grimp joke.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Sorry, by season's end.
    Does this mean that we'd have to cut them during the regular season ( as in, before the last game of the regular season ) in April 2017?

or

Can it happen after we are bounced from the Playoffs ( or win the championship ) when we head into the offseason in the beginning of June 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Does this mean that we'd have to cut them during the regular season ( as in, before the last game of the regular season )?

or

Can it happen after we are bounced from the Playoffs ( or win the championship ) when we head into the offseason?
    Before playoffs per Lowe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If it's true about Stuckey that is a game changer for us in free agency. An additional 7 mil would be huge if we can convince Teague to wait on us before giving him the contract he wants. That's still a huge risk of coming up empty handed tough.
    I have no problem cutting Stuckey if it frees up Cap Space going into next season.

It sucks from a Player/Team relationship....but we need as much Cap space as possible going into next season to improve the roster. I will live with GRIII and Monta getting more minutes in a shortened lineup ( which will happen in the Playoffs anyway ).

Sports Logo

So, imagine this scenario:

It's clear that they need an interior banger, and someone to bring back the "toughness" identity that Paul and fans are looking for.

So, they cut Stuckey before the end of the season, and add Hansbrough. Smashmouth part deux.
    Not suggesting anything....was watching a Mad Ants game with Hansbrough. It turns out that he added a 3pt shot to his offensive arsenal.

Mood

I have enjoyed Stuckey's play for the Pacers. I think he's brought hustle and professionalism to the floor when healthy.

But if cutting him before the playoffs saves that money and eliminates the chance he might opt in, and enables us to offer $7mil more to a prime free agent... let me grab my scissors. Cut him!

I doubt he'll be missed much in the playoffs, if at all, and I'm not expecting a Finals berth. If we get to the point where we say "man, Stuckey could've won us that championship," the NBA might as well just close its doors!
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I have enjoyed Stuckey's play for the Pacers. I think he's brought hustle and professionalism to the floor when healthy.

But if cutting him before the playoffs saves that money and eliminates the chance he might opt in, and enables us to offer $7mil more to a prime free agent... let me grab my scissors. Cut him!

I doubt he'll be missed much in the playoffs, if at all, and I'm not expecting a Finals berth. If we get to the point where we say "man, Stuckey could've won us that championship," the NBA might as well just close its doors!
    When's the cutoff date for Players to be added to a Playoff roster?

If it's an inevitable move that Stuckey should be cut to clear Salary Cap for the next season....then I'd be looking to waive Stuckey before that time so that he would have the chance to join a different Playoff bound Team.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-22-2017 at 02:08 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    When's the cutoff date for Players to be added to a Playoff roster?

If it's an inevitable move that Stuckey should be cut to clear Salary Cap for the next season....then I'd be looking to waive Stuckey before that time so that he would have the chance to join a different Playoff bound Team.
    Stuckey would have had to been cut by March 1st for him to be eligible for the playoffs with another team. Any player cut prior to that date, or that hasn't been on a team this year, is eligible for playoffs as long as they're on the playoff roster submitted to the NBA by April 14.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Stuckey would have had to been cut by March 1st for him to be eligible for the playoffs with another team. Any player cut prior to that date, or that hasn't been on a team this year, is eligible for playoffs as long as they're on the playoff roster submitted to the NBA by April 14.
    Do you mean April 1st or March 1st?

If it's March 1st....then the date has passed.

March. If Stuckey is cut, he's ineligible for the playoffs with another team.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Sports Logo

I'd be shocked if Stuckey didn't opt in, and I 100% expect CJ Miles to opt out.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks like Stuckey is out through the playoffs. Makes it a no brainer to waive him and bring in someone healthy.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Looks like Stuckey is out through the playoffs. Makes it a no brainer to waive him and bring in someone healthy.

I was ready to post the same thought about Stuckey. I just got the notification on my injury update on my phone.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

If Bird doesn't waive him now, then i don't know why that clause was even in there to begin with..

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    If Bird doesn't waive him now, then i don't know why that clause was even in there to begin with..
    If any of this is true he will be cut. Hans would provide some energy off the bench at least
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    If any of this is true he will be cut. Hans would provide some energy off the bench at least
    I hope it is true but I don't take what Lowe says as the gospel, I've never seen an nba contract structured like this.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

I hope it is true but I don't take what Lowe says as the gospel, I've never seen an nba contract structured like this.
    I think I've mentioned before on this board that front offices have ALL SORTS of nifty ways to structure contracts. You just need a front office smart enough to use those tools. If Stuckey's injury is that serious then yes, cut him. We will just be in a better position this Summer financially.