Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

Default Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

Basically we can cut them before the end of the year, and their player option is void.

Obviously we would keep CJ.

BUT what if we were to cut Stuckey now and Ellis next season? Also Ellis becomes an expiring contract at the trade deadline a trade partner could cut.

Only contracts in the league like this, very smart. Suddenly those contracts aren't so bad. Oh, and Stuckey didn't play last night...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

One thing I thought was kind of interesting that I don't believe I've read in here yet: Kevin Pritchard's contract is reportedly set to expire this summer.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

This thread title is practically screaming your name Grimp.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see anything about us trading a first round pick for Nick Young?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    He was right about this. I remember people giving him **** for saying we could just cut them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    He was right about this. I remember people giving him **** for saying we could just cut them.
    Throw enough **** at the wall and something sticks. I love Grimp, but I don't think he was right because of an adept study of the contracts and salary cap quirks associated with them

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Basically we can cut them before the end of the year, and their player option is void.

Obviously we would keep CJ.

BUT what if we were to cut Stuckey now and Ellis next season? Also Ellis becomes an expiring contract at the trade deadline a trade partner could cut.

Only contracts in the league like this, very smart. Suddenly those contracts aren't so bad. Oh, and Stuckey didn't play last night...

When you say "End of the Year", do you mean by December 2017?

or

Do you mean "End of the season" as in, we cut them before the end of April 2017?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Worse contracts ever!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Can we cut Al Jefferson too?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    When you say "End of the Year", do you mean by December 2017?

or

Do you mean "End of the season" as in, we cut them before the end of April 2017?
    Sorry, by season's end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I don't see anything about us trading a first round pick for Nick Young?
    i hope i'm missing a joke here

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Throw enough **** at the wall and something sticks. I love Grimp, but I don't think he was right because of an adept study of the contracts and salary cap quirks associated with them
    I have been keeping an eye on CJ and Stuckey's contracts for awhile. Because I knew Hayward and Blake's free agency were coming up. We can indeed cut CJ and Stuckey in June. But once June comes and goes we would have to pay them if they opted in. We're in better shape than a lot of people thought. The small bit of work in the off-season would be moving Al Jefferson into a team with a little over $9 mil in cap to take him on.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I have been keeping an eye on CJ and Stuckey's contracts for awhile. Because I knew Hayward and Blake's free agency were coming up. We can indeed cut CJ and Stuckey in June. But once June comes and goes we would have to pay them if they opted in.
    We would be lucky if CJ opted in, no way he is.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

We would be lucky if CJ opted in, no way he is.
    If we're gonna legit get Hayward then we have to make sacrifices for the more talented player. Also getting Hayward with Paul, Teague and Myles will draw attention from other free agents and under contract players. You should see more players wanting to sign with Indy or wanting to perhaps "team up" with Paul and Gordon.

If we're gonna legit get Hayward then we have to make sacrifices for the more talented player. Also getting Hayward with Paul, Teague and Myles will draw attention from other free agents and under contract players. You should see more players wanting to sign with Indy or wanting to perhaps "team up" with Paul and Gordon.
    Cutting Stuckey makes sense, he gets 7 mill.

But you don't cut a player only making 4 mill. If you go after a max player, you still have to fill roster.

Not that it matters. CJ ain't opting in.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

We need to revamp most of the roster. I'm glad most want to ditch Stuckey. He is the very worst of the bunch. Monta has some life left, but I'd rather spend that on a younger player. CJ has a ton of support on this site. I understand he's played well in the regular season this year. I will not cry at all if he walks as I don't believe he's a contributor on a contender.

Part of the revamp has to be moving Paul George. We should try to acquire the answer at PF/C to set next to Myle Turner. We should also look for a good SG. That means the person needs to be an excellent shooter, something we haven't had since Peja or Reggie. George Hill was actually a pretty good shooter but not at that level. I'm talking Granger level shooter or better. We need to stop acting like that is impossible. GS has 3 of those guys.

Cutting Stuckey makes sense, he gets 7 mill.

But you don't cut a player only making 4 mill. If you go after a max player, you still have to fill roster.

Not that it matters. CJ ain't opting in.

Well the way it sounds we need to scrounge every penny together for Hayward so I imagine cutting CJ would be necessary wouldn't it?

Mood

We can indeed cut CJ and Stuckey in June. But once June comes and goes we would have to pay them if they opted in.
    That's not what Zach Lowe says in the podcast. He says they have to be waived before the end of the regular season (April 12). That means we would lose them for the playoffs. He questions whether the Pacers would be willing to lose a rotational player like Stuckey for the playoffs.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    That's not what Zach Lowe says in the podcast. He says they have to be waived before the end of the regular season (April 12). That means we would lose them for the playoffs. He questions whether the Pacers would be willing to lose a rotational player like Stuckey for the playoffs.
    CJ's contract is before June basketball insiders says. It says CJ's deal must be terminated before June 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I absolutely would

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

This is what Basketball Insiders says:
    6/12/17 or day following team’s final game, no later than 6/29/17 — Player option on Rodney Stuckey.
    6/20/17 or two days after teams last game, no later than 6/29/17 — Payer option on C.J. Miles. Team can waive Miles before he executes the option.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/in...-team-salary/#
    That's definitely not what Zach Lowe says in the podcast regarding Stuckey. (he doesn't discuss CJ Miles because it's assumed he'll opt out).

edit: maybe the dates cited by Basketball Insider are when the PLAYER can opt out. If so, what Lowe is saying about the team waiving them by the end of the regular season could be correct.
    Last edited by Strummer; 03-21-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: i'm so confused

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

If it's true about Stuckey that is a game changer for us in free agency. An additional 7 mil would be huge if we can convince Teague to wait on us before giving him the contract he wants. That's still a huge risk of coming up empty handed tough.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

So, imagine this scenario:

It's clear that they need an interior banger, and someone to bring back the "toughness" identity that Paul and fans are looking for.

So, they cut Stuckey before the end of the season, and add Hansbrough. Smashmouth part deux.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    If it's true about Stuckey that is a game changer for us in free agency. An additional 7 mil would be huge if we can convince Teague to wait on us before giving him the contract he wants. That's still a huge risk of coming up empty handed tough.
    According to Lowe, Stuckey literally has to be cut from the roster prior to the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    So, imagine this scenario:

It's clear that they need an interior banger, and someone to bring back the "toughness" identity that Paul and fans are looking for.

So, they cut Stuckey before the end of the season, and add Hansbrough. Smashmouth part deux.
    It's a good possibility this may happen