Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

  1. #1
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,744

    Default Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Basically we can cut them before the end of the year, and their player option is void.

    Obviously we would keep CJ.

    BUT what if we were to cut Stuckey now and Ellis next season? Also Ellis becomes an expiring contract at the trade deadline a trade partner could cut.

    Only contracts in the league like this, very smart. Suddenly those contracts aren't so bad. Oh, and Stuckey didn't play last night...



  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,500

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    One thing I thought was kind of interesting that I don't believe I've read in here yet: Kevin Pritchard's contract is reportedly set to expire this summer.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    977

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    This thread title is practically screaming your name Grimp.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    9,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread title is practically screaming your name Grimp.
    I don't see anything about us trading a first round pick for Nick Young?

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    3,026
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread title is practically screaming your name Grimp.
    He was right about this. I remember people giving him **** for saying we could just cut them.

  10. #6
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,500

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was right about this. I remember people giving him **** for saying we could just cut them.
    Throw enough **** at the wall and something sticks. I love Grimp, but I don't think he was right because of an adept study of the contracts and salary cap quirks associated with them

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,671

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Basically we can cut them before the end of the year, and their player option is void.

    Obviously we would keep CJ.

    BUT what if we were to cut Stuckey now and Ellis next season? Also Ellis becomes an expiring contract at the trade deadline a trade partner could cut.

    Only contracts in the league like this, very smart. Suddenly those contracts aren't so bad. Oh, and Stuckey didn't play last night...


    When you say "End of the Year", do you mean by December 2017?

    or

    Do you mean "End of the season" as in, we cut them before the end of April 2017?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  13. #8
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    34,872

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Worse contracts ever!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  14. #9
    Member LG33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    21,081

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Can we cut Al Jefferson too?

  15. #10
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,744

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you say "End of the Year", do you mean by December 2017?

    or

    Do you mean "End of the season" as in, we cut them before the end of April 2017?
    Sorry, by season's end.

  16. #11

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see anything about us trading a first round pick for Nick Young?
    i hope i'm missing a joke here

  17. #12
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,680

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Throw enough **** at the wall and something sticks. I love Grimp, but I don't think he was right because of an adept study of the contracts and salary cap quirks associated with them
    I have been keeping an eye on CJ and Stuckey's contracts for awhile. Because I knew Hayward and Blake's free agency were coming up. We can indeed cut CJ and Stuckey in June. But once June comes and goes we would have to pay them if they opted in. We're in better shape than a lot of people thought. The small bit of work in the off-season would be moving Al Jefferson into a team with a little over $9 mil in cap to take him on.

  18. #13
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,744

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been keeping an eye on CJ and Stuckey's contracts for awhile. Because I knew Hayward and Blake's free agency were coming up. We can indeed cut CJ and Stuckey in June. But once June comes and goes we would have to pay them if they opted in.
    We would be lucky if CJ opted in, no way he is.

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,680

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We would be lucky if CJ opted in, no way he is.
    If we're gonna legit get Hayward then we have to make sacrifices for the more talented player. Also getting Hayward with Paul, Teague and Myles will draw attention from other free agents and under contract players. You should see more players wanting to sign with Indy or wanting to perhaps "team up" with Paul and Gordon.

  21. #15
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,744

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we're gonna legit get Hayward then we have to make sacrifices for the more talented player. Also getting Hayward with Paul, Teague and Myles will draw attention from other free agents and under contract players. You should see more players wanting to sign with Indy or wanting to perhaps "team up" with Paul and Gordon.
    Cutting Stuckey makes sense, he gets 7 mill.

    But you don't cut a player only making 4 mill. If you go after a max player, you still have to fill roster.

    Not that it matters. CJ ain't opting in.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Your New Starting PG BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,581

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    We need to revamp most of the roster. I'm glad most want to ditch Stuckey. He is the very worst of the bunch. Monta has some life left, but I'd rather spend that on a younger player. CJ has a ton of support on this site. I understand he's played well in the regular season this year. I will not cry at all if he walks as I don't believe he's a contributor on a contender.

    Part of the revamp has to be moving Paul George. We should try to acquire the answer at PF/C to set next to Myle Turner. We should also look for a good SG. That means the person needs to be an excellent shooter, something we haven't had since Peja or Reggie. George Hill was actually a pretty good shooter but not at that level. I'm talking Granger level shooter or better. We need to stop acting like that is impossible. GS has 3 of those guys.

  24. #17
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,680

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cutting Stuckey makes sense, he gets 7 mill.

    But you don't cut a player only making 4 mill. If you go after a max player, you still have to fill roster.

    Not that it matters. CJ ain't opting in.


    Well the way it sounds we need to scrounge every penny together for Hayward so I imagine cutting CJ would be necessary wouldn't it?

  25. #18
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,463
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can indeed cut CJ and Stuckey in June. But once June comes and goes we would have to pay them if they opted in.
    That's not what Zach Lowe says in the podcast. He says they have to be waived before the end of the regular season (April 12). That means we would lose them for the playoffs. He questions whether the Pacers would be willing to lose a rotational player like Stuckey for the playoffs.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  27. #19
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,680

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not what Zach Lowe says in the podcast. He says they have to be waived before the end of the regular season (April 12). That means we would lose them for the playoffs. He questions whether the Pacers would be willing to lose a rotational player like Stuckey for the playoffs.
    CJ's contract is before June basketball insiders says. It says CJ's deal must be terminated before June 29th.

  28. #20
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    8,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not what Zach Lowe says in the podcast. He says they have to be waived before the end of the regular season (April 12). That means we would lose them for the playoffs. He questions whether the Pacers would be willing to lose a rotational player like Stuckey for the playoffs.
    I absolutely would

  29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  30. #21
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,463
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    This is what Basketball Insiders says:
    6/12/17 or day following team’s final game, no later than 6/29/17 — Player option on Rodney Stuckey.
    6/20/17 or two days after teams last game, no later than 6/29/17 — Payer option on C.J. Miles. Team can waive Miles before he executes the option.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/in...-team-salary/#
    That's definitely not what Zach Lowe says in the podcast regarding Stuckey. (he doesn't discuss CJ Miles because it's assumed he'll opt out).

    edit: maybe the dates cited by Basketball Insider are when the PLAYER can opt out. If so, what Lowe is saying about the team waiving them by the end of the regular season could be correct.
    Last edited by Strummer; 03-21-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: i'm so confused

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  32. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    6,353

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    If it's true about Stuckey that is a game changer for us in free agency. An additional 7 mil would be huge if we can convince Teague to wait on us before giving him the contract he wants. That's still a huge risk of coming up empty handed tough.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

    Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  34. #23
    Rebirth. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    3,206

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    So, imagine this scenario:

    It's clear that they need an interior banger, and someone to bring back the "toughness" identity that Paul and fans are looking for.

    So, they cut Stuckey before the end of the season, and add Hansbrough. Smashmouth part deux.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

    sav

  36. #24
    Rebirth. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    3,206

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it's true about Stuckey that is a game changer for us in free agency. An additional 7 mil would be huge if we can convince Teague to wait on us before giving him the contract he wants. That's still a huge risk of coming up empty handed tough.
    According to Lowe, Stuckey literally has to be cut from the roster prior to the playoffs.

  37. #25
    Member jrwannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,906

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lowe: Player Options on Miles/Monta/Stuckey Aren't Real Player Options

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, imagine this scenario:

    It's clear that they need an interior banger, and someone to bring back the "toughness" identity that Paul and fans are looking for.

    So, they cut Stuckey before the end of the season, and add Hansbrough. Smashmouth part deux.
    It's a good possibility this may happen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •