Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is the secret to any and all success. This season I have had to give away quite a few games due to different reasons, whenever I have given my tickets to a friend of mine named Scott the Pacers are undefeated. He has been to like 5 games this season and is 5-0, he can't understand why I am not higher on the team because whenever he see's them they kick ***.

So I probably should just let him go to the rest of the games this year.
    For the greater good.
    Thanks Frank!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Paul George probably dribbled the ball less in this game than any game this season, certainly a lot less than the Knicks game. PG was catch and shoot, no hesitation, no holding the ball. PG should be complimented for sure, but Teague deserves a lot of the credit as does the whole team. The ball and player movement was excellent and very different fro the Knicks game.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Paul George probably dribbled the ball less in this game than any game this season, certainly a lot less than the Knicks game. PG was catch and shoot, no hesitation, no holding the ball. PG should be complimented for sure, but Teague deserves a lot of the credit as does the whole team. The ball and player movement was excellent and very different fro the Knicks game.
    Been clear to me for a while now that PG can be a lethal catch & shoot or catch off action, take 1-2 dribbles player. His length, quick stroke and ability to create separation quickly fits this scoring style so well. Guessing the coaches see it too but have to challenge PG's perception of himself as a ball handler, driver, creator.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We need to keep this team together. I think we have a shot at multiple championships.

I have been saying it forever PG needs to be more Gordon Hayward (catch and shoot, quick decision making) and less Melo, I hate it when he dribbles for like 10 seconds just to take some crazy shot in front of 3 defenders.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I have been saying it forever PG needs to be more Gordon Hayward (catch and shoot, quick decision making) and less Melo, I hate it when he dribbles for like 10 seconds just to take some crazy shot in front of 3 defenders.

Dribbling is not PG's strength. The point of having Teague is to take the playmaking pressure of PG.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I survived the post brawl years, being 2,000+ miles away, and the JOB years. This was the first game in 23 years that I voluntarily didn't watch.

Glad to see they won.
    GUess you and I aren't allowed to watch the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post

Dribbling is not PG's strength. The point of having Teague is to take the playmaking pressure of PG.
    Yes Teague does for sure. He might not be a natural leader, but he's the point guard, so on the court he needs to be a leader - maybe not the leader, but one of them. I don't know if Teague was more vocal when he was on the Hawks, but Teague is needed for the Pacers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

sav

There is no doubt when Teague is distributing at a high level, the Pacers are a different animal. The 7 and 5 game win streaks saw Teague playing his best ball of the year. It is a "new situation" but at nearly 70 games in it is time to either see dividends or think about not re-signing him this offseason, not because he is bad, but because he's not worth a 20 million dollar investment if the ducks are not lined up by playoff time this year, JMO. (And I like Teague a lot, but that's the sort of decision making we backed ourselves into when we traded for a guy with 1 year left who is going to want a significant raise and was not a sure fire fit with our best player)
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-16-2017 at 10:42 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

One frustrating thing to me, is we got Teague to take the load off of Paul from a play making standpoint, but have failed to do what we did last night consistently, which is use PG off the ball as a scorer. Too often Paul's sets still come out of isos and things of that nature which just makes very little sense.

Paul's role on this team should be #1 shooting option and defense, his ball handling should be limited to late game PnR action IMO if we want Teague and him to actually work out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yes Teague does for sure. He might not be a natural leader, but he's the point guard, so on the court he needs to be a leader - maybe not the leader, but one of them. I don't know if Teague was more vocal when he was on the Hawks, but Teague is needed for the Pacers.
    I think he was more vocal on the Haeks, and the Hawks didn't have a PG level guy during their big run. Teague was that guy, he led the team in scoring and assists in the playoff run to ECF. I'm wondering if the team asked him to be that guy here making it more comfortable to make that transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    One frustrating thing to me, is we got Teague to take the load off of Paul from a play making standpoint, but have failed to do what we did last night consistently, which is use PG off the ball as a scorer. Too often Paul's sets still come out of isos and things of that nature which just makes very little sense.

Paul's role on this team should be #1 shooting option and defense, his ball handling should be limited to late game PnR action IMO if we want Teague and him to actually work out.
    I think you have to role with Teague no matter what. If he leaves our salary cap situation is a mess. It would cost us more to downgrade at starting point guard when you consider how his hold works on the cap.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    I think he was more vocal on the Haeks, and the Hawks didn't have a PG level guy during their big run. Teague was that guy, he led the team in scoring and assists in the playoff run to ECF. I'm wondering if the team asked him to be that guy here making it more comfortable to make that transition.
    I'm not sure if Teague was more vocal in Atlanta but he played in a PG-centric system. Just look at the numbers that their current PG is able to put up with much lesser players than what Jeff had in Atlanta.

I do think Teague has shown that he can be an intricate driving force on a team with other AS players. And he's shown through various streaks that he can put up some amazing production this season. But he's had just as many streaks of mediocre to poor play as well.

His MO in Atlanta was his streakiness. That's just who he is and it's why many in Atlanta weren't too sad to see him moved. I think with the right roster, you can ride the highs and get through the "lows" without much issue.

I don't think he's worth 20mil/yr at all, but the Pacers painted themselves into a corner when acquiring him. They may have to re-sign him in spite of his up and down year simply because they dont have much else in terms of options.

The offseason should be interesting.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

sav

Am I the only one that really doesn't care where who the emotional/vocal leader is? Teague's aloofness really doesn't bother me, neither does PG's. The problem is that the Pacers don't have an emotional/vocal leader, not that Teague or PG isn't it.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Am I the only one that really doesn't care where who the emotional/vocal leader is? Teague's aloofness really doesn't bother me, neither does PG's. The problem is that the Pacers don't have an emotional/vocal leader, not that Teague or PG isn't it.
    I think the point is that the Point Guard has to be vocal on the court because he is the guy directing the execution. That's tactical leadership based on position, not locker-room leadership of a guy encouraging/correcting/cheering on teammates.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I still don't think it's necessarily a requirement of the PG, or the best player. I agree that someone on the court is needed to be vocal and get everyone on the same page when it's needed.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I'm not sure if Teague was more vocal in Atlanta but he played in a PG-centric system. Just look at the numbers that their current PG is able to put up with much lesser players than what Jeff had in Atlanta.

I do think Teague has shown that he can be an intricate driving force on a team with other AS players. And he's shown through various streaks that he can put up some amazing production this season. But he's had just as many streaks of mediocre to poor play as well.

His MO in Atlanta was his streakiness. That's just who he is and it's why many in Atlanta weren't too sad to see him moved. I think with the right roster, you can ride the highs and get through the "lows" without much issue.

I don't think he's worth 20mil/yr at all, but the Pacers painted themselves into a corner when acquiring him. They may have to re-sign him in spite of his up and down year simply because they dont have much else in terms of options.

That's an understatement.

I'm not sure if Teague was more vocal in Atlanta but he played in a PG-centric system. Just look at the numbers that their current PG is able to put up with much lesser players than what Jeff had in Atlanta. I do think Teague has shown that he can be an intricate driving force on a team with other AS players.
    He is having his best year in assists here.

And he's shown through various streaks that he can put up some amazing production this season. But he's had just as many streaks of mediocre to poor play as well. His MO in Atlanta was his streakiness. That's just who he is and it's why many in Atlanta weren't too sad to see him moved. I think with the right roster, you can ride the highs and get through the "lows" without much issue.

I'm not going to pretend I watched a lot of Atlanta over the years, but everything I read and listened to from the beat writers around the team when he left never mentioned him as streaky. Especially to the point where he was playing poorly.

What they said was he wasn't always as aggressive and would try and get other players involved before himself. So this wasn't an issue of just disappearing like how GHill was, he was just penetrating and distributing instead of scoring.

He's average 15 and 8 over the past 5 years, so I'm not sure how you can call him inconsistent.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    There is no doubt when Teague is distributing at a high level, the Pacers are a different animal. The 7 and 5 game win streaks saw Teague playing his best ball of the year. It is a "new situation" but at nearly 70 games in it is time to either see dividends or think about not re-signing him this offseason, not because he is bad, but because he's not worth a 20 million dollar investment if the ducks are not lined up by playoff time this year, JMO. (And I like Teague a lot, but that's the sort of decision making we backed ourselves into when we traded for a guy with 1 year left who is going to want a significant raise and was not a sure fire fit with our best player)
    I have seen so many times where a new player comes in and does not mesh as well the first year but is fully integrated by year 2. I would not give up on Teague, we have other serious flaws and changing point guards is not what we need.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

I don't consider Teague as streaky. Miles is streaky. But Teague? not at all. In fact I think he is too even, too non-steaky. I wish he would be more aggressive, take more chances, try to create more. He needs to do more on the court. In fact I hope he becomes more streaky, because that would tell me he is being more aggressive. And I am not talking about jacking up shots, but penetrate more, try to create more for his teammates and himself. IMO our offense needs more from him.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-16-2017 at 12:37 PM.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I don't consider Teague as streaky. Miles is streaky. But Teague? not at all. In fact I think he is too even, too non-steaky. I wish he would be more aggressive, take more chances, try to create more. He needs to do more on the court. In fact I hope he becomes more streaky, because that would tell me he is being more aggressive.
    This is pretty spot on as far as the criticism I heard coming from Atlanta when he left.

I've noticed he takes more chances in certain matchups, maybe we see a more of that in playoffs.

I don't consider Teague as streaky. Miles is streaky. But Teague? not at all. In fact I think he is too even, too non-steaky. I wish he would be more aggressive, take more chances, try to create more. He needs to do more on the court. In fact I hope he becomes more streaky, because that would tell me he is being more aggressive.
    When I say streaky I'm specifically talking about this. There are some games where he looks to take over and there are other games where he doesn't look to do much at all. Maybe inconsistent is a better word?

You can say say he doesn't take enough chances, but there have been plenty of games and matchups where he's constantly been in attack mode. It's just not consistent enough, hence my use of the term streaky.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

It sounds like the message was delivered to Teague that he needs to take control and lead the team. I can understand trying to spread it around being on a new team, and that still helps in many ways, but moving forward to the playoffs we need to see him be the guy.

We know he is capable of leading a team deep into the playoffs, hopefully he can do it here with PG.

I'm willing to bet you'll see the same guy you've seen for the last 20ish games or so.

Which isn't completely terrible, but isn't mind blowing either.

I'm willing to bet you'll see the same guy you've seen for the last 20ish games or so.

Which isn't completely terrible, but isn't mind blowing either.
    Well, we know how you feel about Teague lol. It is what it is, you don't think much of him so I wouldn't expect you to think he will step it up in the playoffs like he has in the past.

I'm in the middle. He's been very slightly below my expectations, but I think a guy who has made the playoffs every year and has led a team a few times doing so has another level.

We'll see.