Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 360

Thread: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

  1. #101
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without him we would be in awful shape and he's not easily replaceable.
    For those confused easily, this means Teague is vital to our playoff team this season and if we lost him there aren't any realistic option to replace him.

    EWA figures out how many wins a player gives you over an average replacement player. Teague is 13th among point guards at 8.6

  2. #102
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're two games of being completely out of the playoffs and they're barely over .500. It's to the point where their superstar player says get better or I'm leaving. Good Lord. Those are facts since you're so damn interested in them.
    And they're also 4 games out of home court advantage.

    LeBron still complains about his team getting better, so what's your point there?

    The fact is we're 6th in the East and I think we have a chance to advance in the playoffs. What we do in the offseason to keep PG doesn't have anything to do with this debate.

  3. #103
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,622

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Pacers need to go 10-4 over their last 14 games to just MATCH last year's record. Without diving too deep into the game log, I feel pretty safe in saying that it would be their best 14 game stretch of the season. This Pacers team just isn't that good. It's not Teague's fault, not saying it is, not saying he's been awful or even bad. Just saying that the idea that Teague is irreplaceable is just nuts.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  5. #104
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers need to go 10-4 over their last 14 games to just MATCH last year's record. Without diving too deep into the game log, I feel pretty safe in saying that it would be their best 14 game stretch of the season. This Pacers team just isn't that good. It's not Teague's fault, not saying it is, not saying he's been awful or even bad. Just saying that the idea that Teague is irreplaceable is just nuts.
    Pacers went 14-4 from Dec 30 to Feb 6th

    Wrong again

  6. #105
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,622

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Oh, their second best. Excuse me. That completely changes things......
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

  7. #106
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    I'll just let you continue making flippant remarks that are either untrue, things not said, or can't be proven.

    Also, I never said Teague was irreplaceable, I said we "realistically" could not upgrade or replace his production if he went down with injury. This is backed by his EWA.

    The point was, for the 5th time, that he is vital to this 6th seed playoff team.

  8. #107
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,081

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think, like I've thought for years, that they're the same level of player. I'm saying that your argument that Teague being on the Pacers is what is keeping the Pacers afloat is ridiculous.
    From what I've gathered, this is somehow downplaying Teague's greatness as a player.

  9. #108
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I've gathered, this is somehow downplaying Teague's greatness as a player.
    Yes, to say that the Pacers would have been fine if Teague went down with injury is absolutely downplaying him as a player.

    He has been vital to this team and whatever you consider "keeping afloat."

  10. #109
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,301

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Besides the head coach, how much has the team changed since last season.

    Out:
    George Hill
    Ian Mahinmi
    Solomon Hill
    Budinger
    Jordan Hill

    Replaced by:
    Jeff Teague
    Thad Young
    Al Jefferson
    Kevin Saraphin
    Aaron Brooks
    Georges Niang

    Obviously the two players listed at the time of each category are most important. Hill - Teague. Teague IMO is better offensively - overall everything on that side of the court he is better. Hill is better defensively.

    Thad vs Ian - little bit more difficult to compare. I wish Ian was here this season and I think he would have helped Turner a lot. Is Thad better than Ian - yes probably.

    Just looking at this list, I am not sure why we should have expected this years team to be much better than last year. Sure we added some key players, but we lost some key players. It wasn't like we were adding Teague and Thad to what we had - if that was the case, then yes we should have expected more from this team.

    Coaching - I know many will suggest we took a big step or even a small step back here. Assistant coaches are almost the same as last season. I am not convinced there has been a significant downgrade here. Is Vogel better than Nate - OK, I can say yes. But it isn't like we went from Pop to some rookie coach. Nate is not a bad coach - no one can convince me he is.

    I think expectations were too high for this season. Turner is not ready to be a top flight NBA big man. Thad is what he is. Teague is a very good point guard, overall slightly better than Hill IMO when you take everything into account.

    This years Pacers team will likely win 43 games give or take 1 game either way, so that is basically similar to last season.


    Vegas over/under win total for this season 43.5 - we will be within a couple of games of that at least.

    So IMO this season is what this team is right now - we should have expected this.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  12. #110
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,622

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I've gathered, this is somehow downplaying Teague's greatness as a player.
    At least it's fitting that pointing out that they've barely managed to stay above .500 all season to the point where their best player is looking for the exit also downplays the wild success this season has been. Consistent downplaying is the key.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  14. #111
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    It's funny, Teague has a good game in an important win and I posted about the conversation about him being vocal and hoping it carries over into playoffs and into the rest of the season.

    Then the conversation quickly devolved into he's streaky, we'll get what we've seen and we already had GHill.

    I think we're a middle of the pack East playoff team with the potential to be much better if PG goes into playoff mode, and Teague and Turner step it up. Ithe rotation tightens up and we can play Turner 40 minutes, I think we can beat any East team not the Cavs healthy.

    Something not talked about, Turner played the entire 1st quarter last game and came in early in the 2nd. I wonder if we start tightening the rotation a little now.

  15. #112
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least it's fitting that pointing out that they've barely managed to stay above .500 all season to the point where their best player is looking for the exit also downplays the wild success this season has been. Consistent downplaying is the key.
    Wild success? PG just brought up only signing if we're a contender? You're in your own world man.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  17. #113
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wild success? PG just brought up only signing if we're a contender? You're in your own world man.
    I think this team can be epic next season if we go 'shooter shopping' in the off-season. The starting SG needs to be a scorer/shooter who can also create their own shot. Doesn't need to be an "Iverson" out there with the handle, but needs enough ball-tricks and handle to create for himself when the clock is running down. Or enough to run a play through them in the closing seconds. While CJ is a terrific shooter, we can't run anything through him because he can't handle the ball very well or create his own shot through any sort of ball handling sequence.

  18. #114
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    8,525

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    If playoff PG shows up (which judging by his recent play, he seems to be getting into that mode), this team has a shot at beating any non Cavs eastern conference team. We saw that last year. That has a lot to do with the Eastern Conference. But PG going all out is only second to LeBron in this conference. What this team does in the playoffs will determine a lot of it's future. Quite frankly not progressing to the second round spells trouble for us and keeping PG.

  19. #115
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If playoff PG shows up (which judging by his recent play, he seems to be getting into that mode), this team has a shot at beating any non Cavs eastern conference team. We saw that last year. That has a lot to do with the Eastern Conference. But PG going all out is only second to LeBron in this conference. What this team does in the playoffs will determine a lot of it's future. Quite frankly not progressing to the second round spells trouble for us and keeping PG.
    I agree. The other side of this is if Teague or PG don't show up in the playoffs, we have more questions. If Nate struggles with rotations or Turner takes a step back that would also be concerning.

    I think we'll step up assuming we make the playoffs, but I would be more optimistic if we can finish the regular season strong.

  20. #116
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,622

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wild success? PG just brought up only signing if we're a contender? You're in your own world man.
    Well it is a world that has sarcasm so that's a plus.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

  21. #117
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well it is a world that has sarcasm so that's a plus.
    That's not sarcasm. It's just stupid. Nobody is saying anything close to what you're saying.

  22. #118
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,622

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Take the stick out your butt man and relax a little bit. This isn't serious.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

  23. #119
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Take the stick out your butt man and relax a little bit. This isn't serious.
    Lol, this isn't stressful. But if what I'm saying is being misrepresented I'm going to correct.

  24. #120
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,622

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    I'll make sure to make 100% accurate facetious comments in the future.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

  25. #121
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll make sure to make 100% accurate facetious comments in the future.
    You misrepresented what I said before and with your the hyperbolic remark. But sure man!

  26. #122
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Interesting read on GHill next contract...
    Hill is looking for “big, big, big money”… His people think in this market, He can get max. They think he can get 4 for $132 (million). I think that’s awfully optimistic, but can he get more than $88 (Million, the max Utah could offer in an extension)? And really can he get that 4th year commitment? And is that, say, in the Jazz’s best interest to go that 4th year for him. These are all things they need to figure out this summer, but for the Jazz there is no question they go as George Hill goes. They are a basically .500 team without him. (Instead) they are 17 games above .500 and sitting in the 4 seed so you can figure that out…”
    “It’s difficult to expect George to sustain career bests in scoring and effective field-goal percentage.

    Chief among the reasons why is the uncertainty that surrounds where Hill will play next season. He and the Jazz couldn’t agree on an extension, and if he winds up someplace other than Utah, it’s reasonable to expect the fit will be worse.

    Toss in that Hill will enter his age-31 season, as well as his troublesome injury history (he’s missed 27 games already this season, and he played only 43 in 2014-15), and more signs point to a productivity dip.

    We are watching the best possible version of George Hill this season, so a decline is the only reasonable expectation.”
    “Let me tell you what the executives are talking about. George Hill recently changed agencies. I won’t get into the intricacies of this, but last year a player, Allen Crabbe, changed agencies right before free agency and the next thing you know is he had a gigantic offer sheet from the Brooklyn Nets. The same agency represents Tyler Johnson in Miami, he got a huge offer sheet from the Brooklyn Nets. So there is a belief the Brooklyn Nets have an interest in going there.

    Even if George Hill doesn’t want to play for Brooklyn, that the Nets could make the offer is what is the dangerous part for the Jazz of the Spurs because they can drive the price up…

    …Anywhere the Nets smell the possibility of not getting their offer matched, they’re so desperate to bring in talent, they prefer young talent. But they’re going to be a player in that market. They need all kinds of guards.”


    Holy cow, 30 mill a year!

    http://purpleandblues.com/2017/03/15...zz-retain-him/

  27. #123
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    21,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Like I said in the random thoughts thread, this business model is not sustainable. In no universe is George Hill bringing $132 million dollars of value to the team/league. I'm not picking on him, these contracts are being handed out left and right and I'm sure Teague's will be downright nuts too. The bubble will burst from these contracts, plus Lebron won't be around forever to carry so much of the league's water.

  28. #124
    Big Daddy PaulGeorgeHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Connersville Indiana
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,794
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    I really hate to bring this back up (not really) but I think is unfair to judge this current team to last year's team just because I'm pretty sure last years "core" set of players had been together for several years. It would be more accurate to wait until at least next year to judge Nate and this new "core".

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:


  30. #125
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,216

    Default Re: Post game--A Tale of Two Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said in the random thoughts thread, this business model is not sustainable. In no universe is George Hill bringing $132 million dollars of value to the team/league. I'm not picking on him, these contracts are being handed out left and right and I'm sure Teague's will be downright nuts too. The bubble will burst from these contracts, plus Lebron won't be around forever to carry so much of the league's water.
    The amount of money isn't crazy, it's giving max to 31 year old GHill. It's a bad move. Harden, Westbrook, Durant are maxed. You don't max GHill.

    Brooklyn can afford it. They're the only team that can drive up point guard price like that.

    The NBA bubble won't burst if that's what you mean. But teams overpaying my be hurt. But then again Pelicans seem to be buyers even though they signed Solo to 13 mill a year.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •