Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 98

Thread: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,155

    Default On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    I almost hesitate to mention this because I don't think there is a major issue between the two, but the chemistry between your two best players is an issue worth discussing.

    Background as to why I am bringing this up now.

    A couple of weeks ago I was watching the Pacers opponent's pregame show (I don't remember which game, it doesn't really matter) one of the analysts mentioned that the information he received from a Pacers insider is the on court chemistry between PG and Teague is not good. He said he got the information from someone who covers the Pacers. The guy who mentioned this was a TV guy so I assumed it was from either Quinn or Chris, maybe Mark Boyle, or perhaps the beat writer from the Indystar.

    The comment was just a throw-away line, no follow up and it was in the context of why are the Pacers struggling. Local media get a lot of their information on the opposing team from that teams media who covers them. So nothing new there and no details given.

    I didn't think much about it at all. Sounded to me like maybe the opposing team media person might have misinterpreted what the Pacers media said. And I don't recall any anyone else mentioning this. So I forgot all about it.

    OK, this brings me to the game last night against the Heat. Two times when PG had the ball and was pretty well guarded Teague was wide open at the three point line with his hands up as in I'm wide open for an easy three throw me the ball. PG did not throw the ball to PG, I think one time PG passed to someone else and the other time he shot the ball. What caught my attention is Teague was obviously frustrated he did not get the ball, I would compare Teague's body language to what Lance used to do several times a game when he felt like he should have gotten the ball. It was obvious on TV.

    Teague has been interesting to watch this season. He is the player I thought he was with the Hawks in ability. He started the season poorly but by the end of December he was playing great and for about 5 or 6 weeks he was excellent. However the past few weeks he has been OK, but not nearly as aggressive. It makes me almost wonder if the chemistry thing with PG is affecting him. I don’t know.

    One thing about Teague concerns me. No not his defense – he is not terrible, just not a difference maker on that end of the court. But what concerns me is he doesn’t show much leadership, seems like a very quiet guy. When he makes a good play his teammates are less likely to high five him, and Teague shows no emotion at all. That is OK to a degree, but he is a point guard so needs to be a leader, and needs to bring the team together and I don’t think he does that.

    So I am wondering if maybe the relationship between PG and JT is hurting the whole team. Sorry I don’t have any inside information, and as I said to start off, I’m probably making too much of it.

    Anyone else notice this or hear anything.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    38,651

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    I think the biggest diff has been PG transitioning to main playmaker to secondary and also recently, the Pacers have been running a TON of stuff that essentially tries to make Teague's man switch onto Paul. This essentially turns Teague into a turnstyle and delivery service which is a bit different than how they had him creating in December and January.

    PG and Teague seem to get along (see locker room stuff where they are btoh dancing, etc.) but on court and off court chemistry are two very different things.

    Paul's been handling the ball more recently IMO and Teague just doesn't do a whole lot as a spot up and shoot guy. The Pacers have yet to find the balance (and IMO it doesn't even look like they are pursuing it) where both guys get the chance to be playmakers.



  4. #3
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,540

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague



    Forward to the 2:09 mark to see Jeff Teague not showing any emotion or celebration.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    5,700

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Forward to the 2:09 mark to see Jeff Teague not showing any emotion or celebration.
    Haha, I was about to post that

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    38,651

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Forward to the 2:09 mark to see Jeff Teague not showing any emotion or celebration.
    Yeah I don't agree with UB's take on Teague's personality. I think he's actually very vocal/emotional he's had some big shots this year (a floater and a 3 come to mind) where he's shown a lot of emotion. I think there is some legit concern to how he and PG function as a pair on the bball court, but I think that's mostly on the coach.

    Plus Jeff recently called Paul the best player he's ever played with and the reason he wants to be a Pacer ( I think it was the day before the trade deadline?), IMO the issues we see land on the coaching staff which can't seem decide what they want the team to be.



  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,155

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Forward to the 2:09 mark to see Jeff Teague not showing any emotion or celebration.

    OK you got me on that one. Does beg the question would he do that with PG. And I will answer, I think he would. As I mentioned I'm probably, making way too much of this.

  11. #7
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    8,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    I don't think its an off the court chemistry issue. I do think their on the court chemistry does need to improve though. It does seem that we either run it as the Teague show or the PG show. I still don't think we run PG around screens enough on offense, especially when he's shooting much better this year. Teague can get PG the ball better than anyone before.

    Also that video, man do we let Turner switch out onto guards waaaaaaay too much. All those Whiteside rebounds, he was being boxed out by Teague, Miles, Stuckey.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  13. #8

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    I think their chemistry is fine. They showed flashes in the Houston game in Indiana where Teague threw a lob to Paul.

  14. #9

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think their chemistry is fine. They showed flashes in the Houston game in Indiana where Teague threw a lob to Paul.
    We need a lot more than the occasional flash. We need a steady beam.

  15. #10

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need a lot more than the occasional flash. We need a steady beam.
    Well they have only been playing together for 6 months. Chemistry takes time. I think next season we'll see it 'beam.' But they don't hate each other. There's no Rondo stuff here. I think our team first needs better pieces before this stuff gets sorted out. Teague does seem to have chemistry with GR3 which is good. Sometimes when older players arrive they tend to ignore the younger ones or freeze them out.

  16. #11
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    31,546

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    I think everybody has the same attitude with PG, I have been paying attention all year long and there is something going on between them and PG (maybe got better after the rumors?)


    Another thing I've noticed is that I don't think PG/Monta got along last year now they seem to joke around more and communicate more during the games.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  17. #12
    Old School BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    21,835

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    The biggest issue is Paul and Teague are the two highest usage players on the team and Paul's game isn't really spot up shooting. Jeff has the ball a lot and wants to dish to a shooter. Paul is ball dominant and while he spots up that's not his game so much. Jeff would mesh much better with a Reggie Miller type of player. Paul's actually never played with a legitimate PG in his NBA career so it's quite an adjustment.

  18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Rebirth. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    3,021

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    UB, I was at the game last night and I saw Teague visibly shake his head twice in frustration when called plays weren't adhered to and at least in one case, it was PG that broke the plan when he went one on five early in the shot clock. I wondered what was going on with Teague as he did seem frustrated. That being said, we were playing the Heat minus Goran Dragic and not looking particularly good doing it would frustrate me too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by docpaul; 03-13-2017 at 07:02 PM.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    I'm more concerned about the chemistry between Paul and Myles. It seems like every time he throws a pass to Myles he never expects it and it turns into a turnover.
    Last edited by tora tora; 03-13-2017 at 07:22 PM.

  22. #15

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think its an off the court chemistry issue. I do think their on the court chemistry does need to improve though. It does seem that we either run it as the Teague show or the PG show. I still don't think we run PG around screens enough on offense, especially when he's shooting much better this year. Teague can get PG the ball better than anyone before.

    Also that video, man do we let Turner switch out onto guards waaaaaaay too much. All those Whiteside rebounds, he was being boxed out by Teague, Miles, Stuckey.
    I sometimes eel Turner, either by choice or design, spends way too much time slowing down and/or stopping guards from getting into the paint. Our back court people lose their man too often for Myles to get and maintain good positioning for rebounds.

  23. #16

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Forward to the 2:09 mark to see Jeff Teague not showing any emotion or celebration.
    Although, Paul didn't seem to celebrate that shot too much.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  24. #17

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    They don't get along at all, and that's pretty clear to me. I've been saying that for a while.

    I mean, they're two pretty different dudes who also have pretty different basketball philosophies. Add in Teague arriving here via trading one of PG'S best friends, and then add in Teague's super high introversion and you've got very little common ground to find. It was a lower concern for me when we made the trade, but the Pacers clearly don't care about fit, chemistry or basketball.

    One interesting thing to me is that Teague is rubbing off a little on Paul. Paul's learning Jeff's 'let the defender run into you and hoist up a makeable three while you're fouled' move.


    I'll take it a step further and say there appears to be two different groups within the team. One has Monta and PG (and CJ to a lesser extent) and the other has Teague and Turner.
    Last edited by imawhat; 03-13-2017 at 08:39 PM.

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  26. #18
    Old School BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    21,835

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    The chemistry is not going to be good until the Pacers get a solid SG. If that's not possible really soon, they need to trade Paul and start the rebuild.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  28. #19
    Rebirth. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    3,021

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll take it a step further and say there appears to be two different groups within the team. One has Monta and PG (and CJ to a lesser extent) and the other has Teague and Turner.
    So, I'll bite. This could be interpreted in all different kinds of ways. Could you say more? What one might construe from what you're saying is that PG and Myles aren't meshing either. In this case, given the circumstances, it's pretty clear that they'd move Paul before they moved Myles and Teague. Might as well reboot now if they have no chemistry with each other from my perspective.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  29. #20

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The chemistry is not going to be good until the Pacers get a solid SG. If that's not possible really soon, they need to trade Paul and start the rebuild.
    Which should include Larry being fired or stepping down. Any basketball ops person who loses 2 once in a generation talents like Kawhi and Paul because of bad decisions or incorrectly assembling a roster would be fired on the spot.

  30. #21
    Rebirth. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    3,021

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which should include Larry being fired or stepping down. Any basketball ops person who loses 2 once in a generation talents like Kawhi and Paul because of bad decisions or incorrectly assembling a roster would be fired on the spot.
    I'm kind of pissed at Bird lately, but this is unfair. Part of being a good executive is being able to select the talent, or be in the position to select that talent in the first place. Cleveland couldn't retain LeBron James even though he was from Ohio. Is that on their executive team?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  31. #22

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    This is the main reason & the storyline on why the 2016-2017 Indiana Pacers are 34-32 & flirting with the lottery....not many people understand or know this. All dates back to June 22, 2016....that's the date that made the Pacers a true East contender & later the biggest disappointment in the NBA

  32. #23

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Larry built us a ECF contender & it's up to the players to make it happen. The players failed Larry. Anyone that can't see that is just obviously too stupid.

  33. #24

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm kind of pissed at Bird lately, but this is unfair. Part of being a good executive is being able to select the talent, or be in the position to select that talent in the first place. Cleveland couldn't retain LeBron James even though he was from Ohio. Is that on their executive team?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


    Cleveland gave Lebron a bad squad and he left. Larry chose to draft Tyler Hansborough over Ty Lawson or Jrue Holiday. He chose Plumlee over Draymond Green. He chose Solomon Hill over Rudy Gobert. He decided/chose to trade Kwahi for George Hill. He also chose not to tank in the "Paul George injury season." That season you could've tanked for a HIGH pick, and also with the season's Stuckey and Hill were having might've been able to trade both for another pick.

    Raptors allegedly discussed a West for Terrence Ross trade and Larry turned it down. A king's ransom of bad decisions.
    Last edited by Grimp; 03-14-2017 at 06:21 PM.

  34. #25

    Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry built us a ECF contender & it's up to the players to make it happen. The players failed Larry. Anyone that can't see that is just obviously too stupid.
    Larry gave the team no shooters. He's simply too old fashioned to "exec" in today's NBA. Phil Jackson is looking like he's also in the same box.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •