Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

Default Re: On court chemistry between PG and Jeff Teague

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been supporting Larry Bird from the day he left ISU and headed east to Boston. That changed over the last 2 years. Whatever ability Larry had at building a team is apparently gone. He drafts well. He still deserves that badge. But there isn't much left. Bird did the following and this is just too much:

1) He disrespected Reggie Miller around the time of Reggie's retirement
    2) He disrespected Danny Granger by the way he dumped him off to a cellar dwelling team with no notice. Granger earned the right to have some input in his exit. This ticked off David West and George Hill btw.
    3) He acquired CJ Miles, who is more damaging to a contender than people realize. In the process of acquiring CJ he ticked off Lance Stephenson who paired nicely with George Hill and Paul George. We didn't need to break that up.
    4) He acquired Rodney Stuckey who is the type of sticky fingered poor shooting guard who struggle in today's NBA.
    5) He acquired an old, worn out Monta Ellis who couldn't shoot himself out of a paper bag with a 38 magnum.
    6) After saying he wanted to play faster, inexplicably he acquired Al Jefferson.
    7) He acquired Jeff Teague without having anyone for him to pass to.

Make no mistake. When Granger was discarded that hurt chemistry of a contender. It's not like you don't trade Danny. The issue is with the WAY Bird has run the team along with the recent terrible acquisitions that have led the team to solid mediocre-ville.
    Very sneaky, BnG. I almost found myself agreeing with you. C.J. Miles is one of Bird's better free agent signings (could this be considered damning with faint praise?).
    Last edited by LG33; 03-14-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This isn't getting fixed. The Pacers need to clean house and get value out of Paul before he walks. There is no more space on the wall for more signs.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    PG can shoot. CJ can shoot. Myles can shoot. So, uh, what?
    Myles is just 21. GR3 is young also. They also don't hoist without conscience like CJ does.

CJ can shoot until you play in real games. 10% from 3 in the playoffs last year. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. People do not get how bad it is to rely in a guy who is basically the anti-thesis of Reggie Miller. CJ has ice water in his veins until they freeze up rendering him useless.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

CJ can shoot until you play in real games. 10% from 3 in the playoffs last year. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. People do not get how bad it is to rely in a guy who is basically the anti-thesis of Reggie Miller. CJ has ice water in his veins until they freeze up rendering him useless.
    CJ has been blistering this season. I gave him a pass last season after I found out Vogel had him going hard in practice against Lavoy and Jordan Hill. Guy was a physical shell of himself by playoff time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    CJ has been blistering this season. I gave him a pass last season after I found out Vogel had him going hard in practice against Lavoy and Jordan Hill. Guy was a physical shell of himself by playoff time.
    If he's so good, do we really need a SG? I thought you thanked my post suggesting we needed a legit starting SG. I am not a CJ believer because IMO he has yet to prove he's good.

If he's so good, do we really need a SG? I thought you thanked my post suggesting we needed a legit starting SG. I am not a CJ believer because IMO he has yet to prove he's good.
    He's a good SHOOTER.

But so is Kyle Korver.

Can you rely on either player for 20 ppg or more a night? No. Players like CJ and Kyle need to be thrown the ball while coming off screens. Or have pieces around them that distract enough for them to get their shot off. But neither player can create for themselves. Off the dribble, draw fouls, 3 pt plays, 4 pt plays, shot clock running down, etc. As much as people look at Nick Young and Lou Williams as volume shooters? They can both create their own shot. Early in the clock, or late in the clock. Both can create a shot for themselves or others. Off the dribble, and can also draw fouls. Those are the type of players we need. Paul can create for himself when he's not force dribbling into traffic. Guys like CJ and Kyle Korver cannot create for themselves. They are catch and shoot guys. Strictly. That's why as good as CJ is SHOOTING the ball? He is not good in our lineup as a starter because he can't create a shot. His own, or for anyone else. Paul and Teague draw attention because they can create a shot. Or draw a foul. CJ can't. He needs to be given the ball. Korver his entire career has played with the likes of Iverson, Lebron, Kyrie, and multiple guys on the Hawks team. Guys who draw so much attention that he always found himself open. CJ is not going to explode for 30 often because he cannot score on anyone one on one.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Myles is just 21. GR3 is young also. They also don't hoist without conscience like CJ does.
    Make up your mind. You want a young shooter to take over at shooting guard, but you are using youth as an excuse for...actually I'm not sure what your point is here. You want a gunner like Dion Waiters but you chastise CJ for hoisting without a conscience, ignoring that CJ's percentages are better than anything Waiters has ever done in his career and Waiters is your classic high volume scorer.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want absolutely no part of anything Dion Waiters has to offer. At least as a starter. For a sixth man? Sure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Man I really wish we had Devin Booker over Turner right now,

14. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Man I really wish we had Devin Booker over Turner right now,
    I don't.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    PG miiiight be a bit of a prima donna.
    Shocking!
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

18. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

sav

CJ is a non-difference making, % 3-point-shooter. Either on or off, and only once in blue moon when he is on does he really have significant impact on a win.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

20. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

sav

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I'm just going by the way they interact with each other on the court, during warmups, on the bench during timeouts, etc. I watch that stuff very closely and I have a pretty decent view at the games.

Paul seems to like Myles, but it's mild. I think they can coincide, but there's a relatively large divide within the team overall. There are even a couple of guys who don't appear to be liked by anyone.
    Who? And I'm not asking because I don't believe you, I'm just genuinely curious. I don't go to the games so any other insights you could offer, I'm all ears.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I want absolutely no part of anything Dion Waiters has to offer!
    Fixed that for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    CJ is a non-difference making, % 3-point-shooter. Either on or off, and only once in blue moon when he is on does he really have significant impact on a win.
    He can get so ice cold that he will make you lose too which is why you cannot rely on him to in the playoffs. He is a player who could play garbage minutes though on a contender. You could also throw him out there on occasion even in an important game for a few plays to see if he's hot.

He can get so ice cold that he will make you lose too which is why you cannot rely on him to in the playoffs. He is a player who could play garbage minutes though on a contender. You could also throw him out there on occasion even in an important game for a few plays to see if he's hot.
    You're using a stretch of 7 games last year following a long season where he got beat up playing PF to say he can't shoot?

CJ is shooting 41% from 3. Better than JJ Reddick, Klay,etc. Of players that have made 140 or more three pointers, CJ is 3rd.

As far as win contribution, CJ Miles EWA is higher than Iggy, Belineli, Marvin Williams, Ryan Anderson, and other role players that are expected to do what CJ does.

You're just really wrong about CJ, he's having a great season.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Averages, how do they work?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

I've been supporting Larry Bird from the day he left ISU and headed east to Boston. That changed over the last 2 years. Whatever ability Larry had at building a team is apparently gone. He drafts well. He still deserves that badge. But there isn't much left. Bird did the following and this is just too much:

1) He disrespected Reggie Miller around the time of Reggie's retirement
    2) He disrespected Danny Granger by the way he dumped him off to a cellar dwelling team with no notice. Granger earned the right to have some input in his exit. This ticked off David West and George Hill btw.
    3) He acquired CJ Miles, who is more damaging to a contender than people realize. In the process of acquiring CJ he ticked off Lance Stephenson who paired nicely with George Hill and Paul George. We didn't need to break that up.
    4) He acquired Rodney Stuckey who is the type of sticky fingered poor shooting guard who struggle in today's NBA.
    5) He acquired an old, worn out Monta Ellis who couldn't shoot himself out of a paper bag with a 38 magnum.
    6) After saying he wanted to play faster, inexplicably he acquired Al Jefferson.
    7) He acquired Jeff Teague without having anyone for him to pass to.

Make no mistake. When Granger was discarded that hurt chemistry of a contender. It's not like you don't trade Danny. The issue is with the WAY Bird has run the team along with the recent terrible acquisitions that have led the team to solid mediocre-ville.

Refresh my memory: what did Bird do to disrespect Reggie?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Refresh my memory: what did Bird do to disrespect Reggie?
    The day they gave him the Bentley I felt Bird slighted his talent level specifically. I do not recall the exact words he used. My interpretation at the time was "you know Reggie, you've been a pretty good player for the Indiana fans". I did not expect Bird to praise Reggie so much but I felt he shorted him. Also, it was a time for humility and to articulate what Reggie meant to the Indiana Pacers. Bird simply didn't do enough of that.

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    You're using a stretch of 7 games last year following a long season where he got beat up playing PF to say he can't shoot?

CJ is shooting 41% from 3. Better than JJ Reddick, Klay,etc. Of players that have made 140 or more three pointers, CJ is 3rd.

As far as win contribution, CJ Miles EWA is higher than Iggy, Belineli, Marvin Williams, Ryan Anderson, and other role players that are expected to do what CJ does.

You're just really wrong about CJ, he's having a great season.
    He has never proven that he can play well and especially consistently well in the playoffs. Take George Hill. You at least know what you are going to get from him most of the time. With CJ it is literally a flip of the coin. You just cannot have that in the playoffs where consistency is crucial. Games turn on very small margins and CJ can easily blow things one way or the other and so far in the playoffs it has not been good.

He has never proven that he can play well and especially consistently well in the playoffs.
    He's only played meaningful minutes in one playoff series.Last year he played 13 mpg in the postseason after injury. I'm sure you can understand why that isn't a good indication.

Take George Hill. You at least know what you are going to get from him most of the time. With CJ it is literally a flip of the coin. You just cannot have that in the playoffs where consistency is crucial. Games turn on very small margins and CJ can easily blow things one way or the other and so far in the playoffs it has not been good.
    Literally every shooter not Steph Curry is a flip of the coin. PG could hit 3 threes to close out a game or go cold. It's the nature of shooting.

For instance, Steph Curry has made less 3s at a worst % in March. It happens. You watch CJ the most (and probably no other NBA) and you think this is unique to CJ.

But you at least understand how averages work right?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

The day they gave him the Bentley.......
    Yup - that's disrespect there.

Seriously - I think you're grasping quite a bit on that.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    He's only played meaningful minutes in one playoff series.Last year he played 13 mpg in the postseason after injury. I'm sure you can understand why that isn't a good indication.

Literally every shooter not Steph Curry is a flip of the coin. PG could hit 3 threes to close out a game or go cold. It's the nature of shooting.

For instance, Steph Curry has made less 3s at a worst % in March. It happens. You watch CJ the most (and probably no other NBA) and you think this is unique to CJ.

But you at least understand how averages work right?
    CJ is uniquely inconsistent. He makes Stephen Jackson look consistent. Averages are nice information. Like any stat, they just don't tell the whole story. But I would like to see what Troy Murphy's 3% was in the 4th quarter as compared to the 1st 3 quarters before the competition started to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Yup - that's disrespect there.

Seriously - I think you're grasping quite a bit on that.
    Bird didn't buy the Bentley. Simon did. Bird probably pooped on its windows before it was wheeled out of what was then Conseco Fieldhouse.