Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Default Re: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather pay CJ Miles $12 million than Dion Waiters or Tim Hardaway $17 million and use the extra funding elsewhere.

If we can purge Al and Monta from the roster, we need to do it. Especially Al. He's old, fat, out of shape, and can't defend anything.

We need a shooting guard for the future though. Waiters and Tim Hardaway have starter potential and room to grow. Both are 25 and under. Although I'd choose Hardaway Jr. over Waiters. Also there are other pieces we should pursue. Wayne Ellington who is non-guaranteed in Miami and might become a free agent.

Default Re: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I kinda thought we'd see more pride from this grizzly veteran. He's running out of chances to validate my presumption. Too bad, bet that Bird is disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure what happened to him. He looked great in the playoffs last Spring. I really think it's just the weight though. His skills are still there, just the weight, stamina, conditioning issues.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    We need a shooting guard for the future though. Waiters and Tim Hardaway have starter potential and room to grow. Both are 25 and under. Although I'd choose Hardaway Jr. over Waiters. Also there are other pieces we should pursue. Wayne Ellington who is non-guaranteed in Miami and might become a free agent.
    Then look for one in the draft, or another wing with defensive versatility and move PG to the 2. No need to overspend for those dudes when they don't move the needle at all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Then look for one in the draft, or another wing with defensive versatility and move PG to the 2. No need to overspend for those dudes when they don't move the needle at all.
    With the 18th or 19th pick you aren't finding a shooting guard of the future. If that's the case then Larry needs to package up some vets and future picks to move up to the top 8. This team is really not that far off from being top 3 in the East. We just lack shooting. So the end game in the off-season should be to add shooters. There are a variety of ways.

Free agency:
    Dion Waiters
    Tim Hardaway Jr.
    Wayne Ellington
    KCP
    Mirotic
    Nick Young
    Otto Porter Jr.
    Gordon Hayward

Trades:
    Allan Crabbe
    CJ McCollum
    Jimmy Butler

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

I really hope OG still comes out this year. He should be around the Pacers range.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You can edit the Boston category as Ante Zizic is coming over July 1 for the 2018 season.

I don't think Al is old. Out of shape? Yeah. Milsap is the same age, Vince Carter is 8 years older. Both are still playing at a high level.
    Al's basketball age is even older than his actual age would suggest due to coming straight from High school

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

This morning I am thinking that we need to have 2 bigs in the lineup and try to emulate the Spurs.

I would look at Ibaka and maybe Monroe in Free Agency. I would also consider making a trade for a big. Brook Lopez isn't looking that bad right now...but then again not hardly anyone that is not a Pacer is looking pretty good this morning.
    Last edited by sav; 03-15-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Interestingly enough, you know who is a young wing who looks pretty good right now? Caris LeVert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Al's basketball age is even older than his actual age would suggest due to coming straight from High school
    Good point. More mileage. I think if Hayward and Griffin stay with their respective teams? A good idea would be to break up any cap space we have and sign two shooters like Houston did when they got Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon. In this example? We're talking Mirotic and

Tim Hardaway Jr.
    or
    Dion Waiters
    or
    Alan Crabbe (trade)
    or
    CJ McCollum (trade)
    or
    KCP

by the way, how much would you guys pay Mirotic in the way of an offer sheet? The Bulls don't seem to want him and he's making a bit over $5 mil now. So $12 mil a year sound in the right ballpark?
    Last edited by Grimp; 03-15-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Here's a more realistic free agency plan from my point of view. This one leaves out Hayward and Blake.

Renounce: CJ Miles, Joe Young, Niang, Lavoy, Brooks, Christmas, and Stuckey (if he opts out).
    Keepers: Seraphin (it's just one more year at under $2 mil.)
    Stretch provision: Al Jefferson if you can't trade him. His contract is a good contract though so it might not be super hard to move if we attach a 2nd rounder or something. He is due $9.7 next season. Then after that just $4 mil the following season. His contract decreases each season. Larry did make a bad signing (defensively atleast). But he didn't tie us to this guy for eternity.

Sign: Mirotic and Tim Hardaway Jr. I think to get both it would take $30 mil in cap space. Somewhere in that ball park.
    Smaller signings: Wayne Ellington (right now Wayne makes about $3 mil). Next season is non-guaranteed. I'd offer him $8 mil per for 3 seasons. Team option year 3.

I'd move Thad to the bench.
    Last edited by Grimp; 03-15-2017 at 06:47 PM.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    This morning I am thinking that we need to have 2 bigs in the lineup and try to emulate the Spurs.

I would look at Ibaka and maybe Monroe in Free Agency. I would also consider making a trade for a big. Brook Lopez isn't looking that bad right now...but then again not hardly anyone that is not a Pacer is looking pretty good this morning.
    If they go that route they would need a Dewayne Dedmon to pair with Turner, not a Pau Gasol offensive type like Lopez.
    Last edited by Pacersalltheway10; 03-15-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stretch provision: Al Jefferson if you can't trade him. His contract is a good contract though so it might not be super hard to move if we attach a 2nd rounder or something. He is due $9.7 next season. Then after that just $4 mil the following season. His contract decreases each season. Larry did make a bad signing (defensively atleast). But he didn't tie us to this guy for eternity.
    Well, don't say it is just $4 Mil for 2018-19... It is $4 Mil if he is waived, but more than 10 if he actually plays...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    Well, don't say it is just $4 Mil for 2018-19... It is $4 Mil if he is waived, but more than 10 if he actually plays...
    That's still ok. Pay him $4 mil to go away if the team no longer wants him. Easy peasey.

You like Monroe too huh? I would love him off the bench. I am not sure as a starter. If we're playing faster and more shooting? He needs to come off the bench. But I would sign him for sure.

Trump do you play a lot of NBA 2K? you make signings/trades seem so simple. Throw 10-15 mil here... 10-15 mil there..

lol

Grimp*. auto corrected to trump and i'd rather keep it

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Trump do you play a lot of NBA 2K? you make signings/trades seem so simple. Throw 10-15 mil here... 10-15 mil there..

lol
    A good front office can make almost anything happen. Larry has one Summer to prove that now.

lol
    A good front office can make almost anything happen. Larry has one Summer to prove that now.
    ...that's a yes.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A good front office can make almost anything happen.
    No.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

If we end up losing Paul George and adding Gordon Hayward, I could live with that.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

sav

You like Monroe too huh? I would love him off the bench. I am not sure as a starter. If we're playing faster and more shooting? He needs to come off the bench. But I would sign him for sure.
    It depends on what direction we go. If we move Turner to PF, then I wouldn't mind having Monroe. If Turner stays at Center, I would not want him. I think Christmas is our backup Center for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    If we end up losing Paul George and adding Gordon Hayward, I could live with that.
    I could live with that, but I think there is about a 1% chance that Hayward comes here.

lol
    With the trade override button on of course

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I could live with that, but I think there is about a 1% chance that Hayward comes here.
    I'd be thrilled to have Hayward come here, but if we lose PG and add Hayward we are right back to the same position we are in right now.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: