Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Default Re: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lala would divorce Carmelo if he came here.
    I know. It's not just him his wife doesn't wanna move to Indy. That's the real sticking point, the 'better half.'

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Currently though we're already $4.1 mil under the cap.
    As soon as season ends, Teague's current contract of 8,8 Mil transforms to a cap hold of 13,2 Mil. That takes care of what we are currently under the cap...

The rest of your writing is rose-coloured joke which Portland/Brooklyn/Philadelphia would laugh out of the door.

Btw, Crabbe's contract has a 15 % trade kicker which would make him even more overpaid at 21 mil plus. (22 plus M for 2018-19)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

Havent read over this entire thread but the posts I am reading has PG on the team next season. I don't think that's going to happen. Can we talk about where we'll be if we do in fact trade Paul before the draft? How would our cap space look this summer and going forward? Much better than having a non-superstar on some mega deal in a small market like Indiana. I'd love to keep PG for the right price but overpaying for him is something we cannot afford

Also Big Al's final 3rd year is a team option...so next season he's essentially an expiring contract. Nice trade chip. We're setting ourselves up for big time cap space in 2019.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Havent read over this entire thread but the posts I am reading has PG on the team next season. I don't think that's going to happen. Can we talk about where we'll be if we do in fact trade Paul before the draft? How would our cap space look this summer and going forward? Much better than having a non-superstar on some mega deal in a small market like Indiana. I'd love to keep PG for the right price but overpaying for him is something we cannot afford

Also Big Al's final 3rd year is a team option...so next season he's essentially an expiring contract. Nice trade chip. We're setting ourselves up for big time cap space in 2019.
    Bird has made it clear that he wants to retain Paul long term. I think you can not only plan on Paul's salary being here next year but plan for a big raise from an extension. If he gets the DPE then his raise will be about 13 mil, if he doesn't then his raise will be around 10 mil.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Bird has made it clear that he wants to retain Paul long term. I think you can not only plan on Paul's salary being here next year but plan for a big raise from an extension. If he gets the DPE then his raise will be about 13 mil, if he doesn't then his raise will be around 10 mil.
    Unless we trade him, PG's salary is what it is next year--even if he signs a max or supermax extension that won't go into effect until 2018-2019.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It would take some convincing but if Larry calls him and works some of that magic. Then he chats with Paul, I don't see how he could not at least consider waiving the NTC.
    Because he wouldn't want to leave his current situation for a mediocre team, in a small market. He has absolutely no reason to come here IMO

If PG looks at Anthony and thinks that he's the guy that can help get the team over the top, I'd have to question PGs judgement.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

WRONG! Big Al's 3rd year is partially guaranteed, not an option. If he is waived in preceding summer, the team only owes him 4 M. But it is not an option. I don't have the date when it becomes fully guaranteed...

CJ will opt out.

Stuckey will opt in.

PG will be on the team. I don't see Bird trading him because we won't be able to find another star to replace him. The only way we are going to be able to sign a star FA is if we are contenders and that does not appear to be happening in the near future.

In my opinion, our best moves would be to resign Teague and try to trade for a starting 3 & D wing...and obviously figure out how to get rid of Jefferson, Stuckey and, if possible, Ellis.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Los Angeles Lakers : A paranoid case of a team. On one hand, they have maybe the worst pair of contracts in NBA in Deng & Mozgov – an average of annual 34 million invested in two players who are constant DNP-CDs already now but still have 3 full years to go contract-wise.

And yet, due to huge influx of young players with rookie contracts Lakers are nevertheless in a reasonable position for free agency market with some 20 million available under the cap and no troublesome extension to be decided on just yet. Laker-land must hope that Magic is not as reckless in throwing that money around as Buss/Kupchak were...

Free agents available : SwaggyP, Tyler Ennis, MWP, Thomas Robinson

Salary dump candidates : Obviously Deng & Mozgov, but Lakers are not yet desperate for extra salary room so they probably won't give you a fortune for taking these duds off their hands. Good deals available for a trade partner, robbery deals not.

And using a stretch provision for either one of these is HIGHLY unlikely at this point. F ex in case of Mozgov, Lakers would need to pay an annual 6.9 mil for 7 years. A mil more every year in case of Deng. No, you don't stretch with 3 years remaining – they MAY stretch in Summer'18 if they are really hungry for f ex PG13!

Memphis Grizzlies : Here comes a strong fellow candidate for the worst contract of NBA in form of Memphis & Chandler Parsons. 3 more seasons to go at average of 24-some millions for a player who hardly gets to the court due to chronic injuries ans is a liability when he does...

Unlike Lakers, Memphis will be hurt by that catastrophical deal already this summer. With close to 75 million committed to Conley/Parsons/M.Gasol alone, they will a) not be able to play a role in free agency acquisitions, b) be in tough spot if anyone gives a solid offer for RFA Jamychal Green and c) possibly struggle even to retain team icons Tony Allen & Z-Bo.

Free agents available : Z-Bo, Tony Allen, Vinsanity, Jamychal (as RFA). Memphis will have about 20 million total under the luxury tax to retain some combo of these guys. That makes it likely that someone slips although there may be some loyalty discounts.

Miami Heat : What will happen with Bosh? Only known facts are that Miami is going to pay his remaining salary (2 years, total of 52 million) and he will never don the Heat uniform again...

Miami has started the process of removing Bosh's salary from their salary cap figures (that is possible with a premanent retiree – you still pay but it doesn't hit the cap)... Failing that they might stretch it (which opens an extra 15 million to use elsewhere). Tough to analyse Heat with this item unsolved...

What we do know is that Dion Waiters & Willie Reed have player options on their low-price deals and both will surely opt out as UFAs. James Johnson will also be an UFA straight out of career season and so will (for much lesser interest) Luke Babbitt. McBob though will likely not opt out with his player option as he is coming out of wasted injury-ridden season and is a warning-signal question mark going forward...

Without some way of getting Bosh payload lessened, Miami can only try to resign players mentioned above. But their target is to open up 30 million bucks of salary room by removing Bosh from equation. That would make them a player for high-end wing scorers out of free agency (Gallinari, Hayward) or out of salary dumps (Tobias Harris, McCollum, Beal). Don't count Miami out of Millsap-business either.

Free agents available : Career-rescuers Waiters & J.Johnson + a solid back-up big in Willie Reed are all going to generate interest and to earn clearly bigger paycheck. Miami would surely like to retain them but will have to do it inside the salary cap as they only have non-Bird rights on this trio and that exception will be too small in money.

Milwaukee Bucks : While Greg Monroe is expected to opt out (no such hope for that useless lump called Spencer Hawes) and leave Bucks 10 Mil under the cap, they will likely not make any aggressive moves as they need to retain room for Jabari Parker's contract in summer 2018. Tony Snell will complete his rookie contract years and is a RFA this summer. With Middleton back he is unlikely to be a priority retainee either. All in all, a conservative outlook for summer in Milwaukee.

Free agents available : Greg Monroe looking for a Max, Tony Snell, Michael Beasley... ...won't Jason Terry retire already for god's sake?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's a question for you guys. Would you be willing to offer Al Jefferson, Monta Ellis, and our 2018 1st to the Knicks for Carmelo Anthony in the Summer?
    Absolutely not. Carmelo Anthony might be the most overrated player in NBA history. He can't score to the same degree he used to, has always sucked in the playoffs, and is bad at everything that isn't scoring.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Absolutely not. Carmelo Anthony might be the most overrated player in NBA history. He can't score to the same degree he used to, has always sucked in the playoffs, and is bad at everything that isn't scoring.
    Ignoring that such a trade would never happen......on paper and in theory....if we had to option to trade Melo for Monta and AlJeff, I'd do it just to dump Monta and AlJeff's contract beyond the 2017-2018 season.. Monta has a Player option and AlJeff is partially guaranteed in 2018-2019. Melo could opt out and be off the books by then.

In such a NBA 2k17 trade scenario, the Pacers would have guaranteed to have cleared out $23 mil in Salary by the 2018-2019 season.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-14-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Some Guy

Sports Logo

Best option: let Teague walk, he ain't worth it, trade PG, he ain't taking us to the promised land, stop trading away draft picks and try to actually assemble some young talent.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Ignoring that such a trade would never happen......on paper and in theory....if we had to option to trade Melo for Monta and AlJeff, I'd do it just to dump Monta and AlJeff's contract beyond the 2017-2018 season.. Monta has a Player option and AlJeff is partially guaranteed in 2018-2019. Melo could opt out and be off the books by then.

In such a NBA 2k17 trade scenario, the Pacers would have guaranteed to have cleared out $23 mil in Salary by the 2018-2019 season.
    Well sure, but Grimps proposal had us trading a first too. Not to mention, Monta and Al have started to take a backseat. Carmelo still thinks he is THE GUY.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Honestly, the DPE will be the deciding factor. If he qualifies, then I think he signs without question. If he doesn't qualify, then you'll probably get the best Paul George next season, because he would have to be on a mission to qualify for the DPE next season. However, the risk of him walking without getting nothing in return raises exponentially. If a trade happens with Paul George, it will happen before the next trade deadline.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Honestly, the DPE will be the deciding factor. If he qualifies, then I think he signs without question. If he doesn't qualify, then you'll probably get the best Paul George next season, because he would have to be on a mission to qualify for the DPE next season. However, the risk of him walking without getting nothing in return raises exponentially. If a trade happens with Paul George, it will happen before the next trade deadline.
    If George walks next season, we won't be losing him for nothing. Granted we won't be trading a player or picks for him, but we will free up $30 million in cap space to use in Free Agency or to make a trade and take salary off the hands of another team.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Unless we trade him, PG's salary is what it is next year--even if he signs a max or supermax extension that won't go into effect until 2018-2019.
    You are correct about the extension.

However, cap space can be used to renegotiate an existing contract upwards. The deal presented to PG would then be an extension starting from 2018-19 combined with a renegotiation (raise) in 2017-18.

This isn't a hypothetical btw. Westbrook and Harden already signed similar deals.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I can certainly see us dropping Brooks, he is simply a free agent so not even an option to drop. I do not see us dumping CJ or Stucky unless they do not take their options and ask for a really massive pay hike which could certainly happen but then our team is worse not better. We need to move Monta he has a player option for 18/19 and he just does not fit. I also think we need to move Al Jefferson the two of them would free up 20 million. Add the couple of million for Brooks and we have enough to go after a pretty good player before re signing Teague with Bird rights.

I would drop Lavoy as well. Keep Christmas keep GRIII they can probably let Young go but maybe run it by PG just in case and he is cheap enough that its worth keeping since he can score and may turn into a productive NBA player yet. If you have dumped Lavoy and Brooks you now have 25 million or so and can get a very good player if we can sign one.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    As soon as season ends, Teague's current contract of 8,8 Mil transforms to a cap hold of 13,2 Mil. That takes care of what we are currently under the cap...

The rest of your writing is rose-coloured joke which Portland/Brooklyn/Philadelphia would laugh out of the door.

Btw, Crabbe's contract has a 15 % trade kicker which would make him even more overpaid at 21 mil plus. (22 plus M for 2018-19)

The trade kicker in AC contract is bad news. I guess we'd be better off signing Waiters or Tim Hardaway Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I can certainly see us dropping Brooks, he is simply a free agent so not even an option to drop. I do not see us dumping CJ or Stucky unless they do not take their options and ask for a really massive pay hike which could certainly happen but then our team is worse not better. We need to move Monta he has a player option for 18/19 and he just does not fit. I also think we need to move Al Jefferson the two of them would free up 20 million. Add the couple of million for Brooks and we have enough to go after a pretty good player before re signing Teague with Bird rights.

I would drop Lavoy as well. Keep Christmas keep GRIII they can probably let Young go but maybe run it by PG just in case and he is cheap enough that its worth keeping since he can score and may turn into a productive NBA player yet. If you have dumped Lavoy and Brooks you now have 25 million or so and can get a very good player if we can sign one.

If Larry has any sense he would dump CJ and Stuckey. CJ is gonna opt out for sure. Stuckey's last year can easily be moved to a team looking to dump salary. My perfect scenario trade is still sending Stuckey to the Blazers with our 2017 2nd round pick for McCollum or Crabbe. We'd just need to be in position to take back the salary in full.

I'd like to see CJ come back, but I have no idea what kind of salary he will command on the open market.

I'd like to see CJ come back, but I have no idea what kind of salary he will command on the open market.
    If you're gonna seriously compete in the next few years you have to drop all non-core players to add better talent. Teague/Myles/Paul are our core. Thad should be a priority to keep above everyone else after those 3 key pieces. I wouldn't mind keeping Monta considering he's averaging 10 ppg off the bench these days. He'll be even better next season. Which will most likely lead to him opting out next Summer and trying to get a raise elsewhere.

Ironically enough with Monta playing the way he is and if he keeps this up, it might be easier to move him in the off-season than Al Jefferson. Question is, will Larry want to? As someone on this board suggested, if push comes to shove we should stretch-provision Al this Summer if necessary to clear cap space.

If you're gonna seriously compete in the next few years you have to drop all non-core players to add better talent. Teague/Myles/Paul are our core. Thad should be a priority to keep above everyone else after those 3 key pieces. I wouldn't mind keeping Monta considering he's averaging 10 ppg off the bench these days. He'll be even better next season. Which will most likely lead to him opting out next Summer and trying to get a raise elsewhere.

Ironically enough with Monta playing the way he is and if he keeps this up, it might be easier to move him in the off-season than Al Jefferson. Question is, will Larry want to? As someone on this board suggested, if push comes to shove we should stretch-provision Al this Summer if necessary to clear cap space.
    I'd rather pay CJ Miles $12 million than Dion Waiters or Tim Hardaway $17 million and use the extra funding elsewhere.

If we can purge Al and Monta from the roster, we need to do it. Especially Al. He's old, fat, out of shape, and can't defend anything.

I'd rather pay CJ Miles $12 million than Dion Waiters or Tim Hardaway $17 million and use the extra funding elsewhere.

If we can purge Al and Monta from the roster, we need to do it. Especially Al. He's old, fat, out of shape, and can't defend anything.
    I don't think Al is old. Out of shape? Yeah. Milsap is the same age, Vince Carter is 8 years older. Both are still playing at a high level.

I don't think Al is old. Out of shape? Yeah. Milsap is the same age, Vince Carter is 8 years older. Both are still playing at a high level.
    I kinda thought we'd see more pride from this grizzly veteran. He's running out of chances to validate my presumption. Too bad, bet that Bird is disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro